Akassin

[WIP] 42082 model C - Volvo L180HHL

Hello!
Before I tell you about this model, I would like to introduce myself. I am a new member here (I apologize for my English because I use an online translator). In childhood I was a fan of Lego system, but then this hobby was forgotten for many years. But every time I walked past the Lego store, my heart stopped :)
Now I am 32 years old and again I decided to return to Lego. Of course my choice was lego technic sets.
 For my first set, I chose a 42082 rough terrain crane. First of all, I love cranes. Secondly, I thought that this would be an excellent resource base for future buildings. After I built it and played enough, I started looking for a referral for my own model. Because I have only one set of Lego Technic - I called this MOC a model C for 42082 set.
But my pick was severely limited by the scale of the wheels. From the entire range of construction equipment, only frontal or telescopic loaders or mining machines approached.
I have already opted for a wheel loader and went to the site of the volvoce to find a photo. And then I saw it ...
volvo-show-wheel-loader-l180h-hl-t2-t3-t

I immediately realized that I wanted to try to build it, but I had doubts whether the details were enough and whether my experience was enough :)
I found this scheme:

800x640.jpg

After 3 weeks of work I have it:

800x593.jpg800x569.jpg800x578.jpg800x526.jpg800x541.jpg800x1422.jpg

What is ready now:
- fully built boom (lowers, rises, turns and unfolds by hand)
- built the outer part of the cabin to check its compatibility with the boom
- the size of the future model is determined

What is planned:
The engine and gearbox will be located at the rear. The following functions are planned:
- tilt / raise / lower the boom (using the engine)
- opening / closing claws (using the engine)
- turn claws (by hand)
- turn (by hand)
- raising / lowering the front log pusher (by hand)
Movement is planned to be done by hand too.

The most difficult for me was the design of the main pistons. Lego actuators were not enough for the desired height of the boom. Then I decided to improve them using a system of blocks. The resulting design increased the height of the rise in two times and thus turned out not too massive. Even with these changes, I could not achieve the height of the rise of the original, but I think the result will be enough for good playability.

Now I am working on the front part to determine the location of the cardan exit and after that it will be possible to start planning the rear part.

Because I am a newbie in Lego technic - I will be happy with your comments and suggestions on this project

Edited by Akassin

Interesting project, I'm looking forward on it.
It's one of the first time I see someone doing a Volvo vehicle (except cars) not in yellow, It might look cool.
I really like the mechanism you used to raise the boom.
(And btw Welcome here.:wink:)

Oh my, this is going to be veeery interesting. Great idea with pulley system, and usage of arch gears for claw :)

Great idea. :thumbup: But it is unusual to have red Volvo :laugh:

Interesting use of the pieces, I would never start a machine like this without giant L.A.s but it looks better than I thought.

Great project, long time one, which makes me excited. Fingers crossed, it does look promising, with clever solutions! :thumbup:

Professionally looking! Worth being the B model. I hope you consider motorizing all functions.

Thanks for your feedback guys. It is very inspiring to work.

18 hours ago, Touc4nx said:

It's one of the first time I see someone doing a Volvo vehicle (except cars) not in yellow, It might look cool.

16 hours ago, I_Igor said:

Great idea. :thumbup: But it is unusual to have red Volvo :laugh:

I hope Volvo will forgive me for it :laugh:

3 hours ago, Samer said:

Professionally looking! Worth being the B model. I hope you consider motorizing all functions.

I will not be able to motorize only the rotation of the claws (I do not have enough details and free space to make 2 cardan in the boom)
Initially, I planned to make a motorized ride, but then I decided that it would be more convenient to play with hands (I think motorized driving only makes sense if you have a remote control)

1 hour ago, Akassin said:

I hope Volvo will forgive me for it :laugh:

I hope too :wink:

25 minutes ago, pagicence said:

Finally something different than a front loader. Excellent idea.

Technically it IS front loader, but with more advanced arm and grapple instead of typical bucket.
Many of those loaders have both versions, like Liebherr L580:
8c24ae1e546edd05865a503797a4209a.jpg

L580-I-IV-R_ASD-Halle_03_2015_02.jpg

Interesting machine and model. I like how you extended reach of linear actuators.

This has now been redesigned, built and works well.

I kind of quickly put this idea together last night. Maybe you can use it on your model. It might be too long when retracted to fit in your MOC. But then just locate it lower in the model. I have not been able to actually build and try this because I don't own any part # 61905 actuator motor mount. In theory they should all extend and retract together. If someone could build this and let me know, I'd be very grateful.

QUAD%20actuator%20mechanism.png

Here is the BI file: https://bricksafe.com/files/1963maniac/QUAD Actuator Mechanism.pdf

Edited by 1963maniac
additions

23 hours ago, M_longer said:

with more advanced arm and grapple instead of typical bucket.

Exactly my thought.

1 hour ago, 1963maniac said:

I have not been able to actually build and try this because I don't own any part # 61905 actuator motor mount

Oh, so there are four of them in 42082? And four large actuators? Damn, Bricklink is messing with my mind then.

3 hours ago, 1963maniac said:

I kind of quickly put this idea together last night. Maybe you can use it on your model. It might be too long when retracted to fit in your MOC. But then just locate it lower in the model. I have not been able to actually build and try this because I don't own any part # 61905 actuator motor mount. In theory they should all extend and retract together. If someone could build this and let me know, I'd be very grateful.

Here is the BI file: https://bricksafe.com/files/1963maniac/Double actuator mechanism.pdf

in set 42082 only 2 big actuators ... :sad:
In the beginning I considered a similar scheme, but in a combination of large and small actuators. But as a result, the lift height was less than now, and the design looked more massive. Therefore, I refused this option.

It will also complicate the use of the motor for other functions.

1 hour ago, M_longer said:

Oh, so there are four of them in 42082? And four large actuators? Damn, Bricklink is messing with my mind then.

probably an error somewhere. There are two of them in this set.

Edited by Akassin

3 hours ago, 1963maniac said:

Here is the BI file: https://bricksafe.com/files/1963maniac/Double actuator mechanism.pdf

Yes, it should work, as all four LAs rotate in the same direction. I just would reinforce the gears connection nearby to the motor.

Here's a quad linear actuator design without the need for part # 61905

And a dual and quad actuator by Efferman

Quad actuator is useless in the making of a model C, BTW.

3 hours ago, M_longer said:

According to Bricklink there aren't any 61905 motor holder, only these: 2x 61904 Linear Actuator Holder. The above mentioned moc may work if it's not too long for the model.

7 minutes ago, 1963maniac said:

The above mentioned moc may work if it's not too long for the model.

Eh, it seems that using irony here is not a good idea.
It is a C model, which means that no additional parts should be used.

3 hours ago, pleegwat said:

You've probably got the parts within the C model restriction to do a brick-built LA.

I thought about this option. But firstly, the minimum thickness of this LA will be 3x3 studs and I think it will be too massive for this model. Secondly (possibly due to lack of experience) I could not fix the problem when the gears in this mechanism spin in the opposite direction under the weight of the boom (probably, this would be prevented by part 4716, but it is not in this set). As a result, I got the mechanism that is now. I was worried that it would be too unstable, but today I checked it with a motor and was pleased with the result. So I think the lift will remain unchanged - it suits me.
Half way behind. Today I have completely finished the front part. tomorrow in the daylight I will make new photos.

2 hours ago, Akassin said:

the minimum thickness of this LA will be 3x3

Your pulley frame has the exact size, so why not? :)