Recommended Posts

This was my 6the ntry for the Colossal Castle Contest XVI. As the title indicates, this one was for the Medieval Militia category. I’m quite satisfied with the sloping wall foundation, and how smoothly I got the angled portion to fit. The tower top style was inspired by Steven Erickson.

The annual training of militia is always a trying time for Sir Renaud. While he no longer directly oversees the weapons drills it’s practically painful to watch some of the peasants try and use the blunted practice swords, throw javelins, or even fire a simple bow and arrow! Others are only too confident in their supposed combat skills. At least there haven’t been any injuries so far this year…

overview-8.jpg

 

archer.jpg

 

spears.jpg

swords2.jpg

More images available here.

Good to be posting a free build again, plenty more to come :dsweet:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice, small scene. All the landscaping and architecture are effortless as always. I also like your tendency to use classic castle figs in many of your builds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neat, clean and sturdy as usual! The highlight for me is the sloped foundation, as you said yourself. And nice idea covering it with another layer of snot, which I'm guessing isn't attached - it simply rests on those cheeses at the bottom? I also like how those 'wooden' inverted slopes on the tower are attached only from above - I'd never thought they'd look that good! :thumbup::thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow SK! So great work! The walls and the timbered top part of the tower looks so beuatiful!

 

The figs are killing me!:wub: Way to go with all their angels, facial expressions, the guy who aims the bow in the wrong direction... Just lovely!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice!  I like the batter on the wall base, as well as the color choices for the odd colored bricks--the MDF works well with the LBG.  I like the white toothed over the dark green at the tower top as well.  Nice job!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sloped base of the wall is really nice here, SK! It integrates perfectly with the rest of the building with no large and awkward gaps, which is nice. The fig posing is nicely done, and the colors and arrangement of everything looks good, too. One of the only things I would critique is that the 1x2 tiles on the wall stick out too far for my liking. If you had recessed them on headlight bricks it would have improved the look. Also, the half-plate offset of the columns from the arches bothers me, too, even though it is such an insignificant detail. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2019 at 11:33 AM, mccoyed said:

Nice, small scene. All the landscaping and architecture are effortless as always. I also like your tendency to use classic castle figs in many of your builds.

Thanks! Especially for civilian torsos, classic minifigures are some of my favorite :classic:

On 2/7/2019 at 2:08 PM, Servertijd said:

The walls are very nicely done, the tower is nice too.

Thank you :classic:

On 2/7/2019 at 4:36 PM, derEselausErgste said:

And the Donkey is in love with those bales of straw.

 

Thanks! I'm glad you could easily tell what those were.

On 2/7/2019 at 5:56 PM, Judge of the Wastelands said:

Humor is on point...lots of good touches. Nice build!

Thank you :classic:

On 2/8/2019 at 5:53 AM, en_zoo said:

Neat, clean and sturdy as usual! The highlight for me is the sloped foundation, as you said yourself. And nice idea covering it with another layer of snot, which I'm guessing isn't attached - it simply rests on those cheeses at the bottom? I also like how those 'wooden' inverted slopes on the tower are attached only from above - I'd never thought they'd look that good! :thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks en_zoo, you're right about sloped section of wall. It just rests in place on the cheese, but it's quite stable there.

On 2/9/2019 at 9:50 AM, de Gothia said:

Wow SK! So great work! The walls and the timbered top part of the tower looks so beuatiful!

 

The figs are killing me!:wub: Way to go with all their angels, facial expressions, the guy who aims the bow in the wrong direction... Just lovely!!

Thanks dG :laugh:

On 2/9/2019 at 7:46 PM, Grover said:

Very nice!  I like the batter on the wall base, as well as the color choices for the odd colored bricks--the MDF works well with the LBG.  I like the white toothed over the dark green at the tower top as well.  Nice job!

Thank you Grover!

On 2/15/2019 at 2:15 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

The sloped base of the wall is really nice here, SK! It integrates perfectly with the rest of the building with no large and awkward gaps, which is nice. The fig posing is nicely done, and the colors and arrangement of everything looks good, too. One of the only things I would critique is that the 1x2 tiles on the wall stick out too far for my liking. If you had recessed them on headlight bricks it would have improved the look. Also, the half-plate offset of the columns from the arches bothers me, too, even though it is such an insignificant detail. 

Thanks HQ, I went with a full tile offset to match the tiles in the SNOT wall sections. I kind of liked the offset between arches and wall, but I can see how that would look off to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent build!  The sloped base, the snot use of the 1x curved piece for the crenelations, the NPU for the railings, really nice work on this build!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.