KotZ

24: Mafia - Hour 4: 3pm to 4pm

I should have reread up on my knowledge of the commuter first. I thought the commuter was designed specifically to balance out the effect of the strongman. All it says on the wiki is that even the strongman can't kill the commuter when they leave town. However I still feel it could be a possibility.

My bad.

Just now, LegoMonorailFan said:

I should have reread up on my knowledge of the commuter first. I thought the commuter was designed specifically to balance out the effect of the strongman. All it says on the wiki is that even the strongman can't kill the commuter when they leave town. However I still feel it could be a possibility.

My bad.

Thanks for that clarification. 

Can we vote to extend the day? :laugh: Unless I'm protected by a doctor or if I manage to block my killer, The chances of me being alive in the morning are slim. There's so many more ways I can annoy the scum [(and undoubtedly a few townies (sorry)]. :grin:

2 hours ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Scum are going to be studying who I am/am not voting for, talking to, etc.

My goal is to confuse the scum, and not let my actions allow them to find out who the investigator is. 

If that makes it confusing for the town as well then I'm sorry.

Right now I'm eyeing @Asphalt and @Zepher for how quickly they turned my vote on jluck into a bandwagon.

Well when a town PR votes for someone after claiming to be in contact with the investigator, it makes your vote look like you found a scum. Also just as a clarification. Jluck was not found to be scum as of yet right?  You are achieving one thing, confusion. 

1 hour ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Unfortunately the investigator has not found any scum at the moment. They do however have suspicion of @mostlytechnic.

Ok, so jluck is not a confirmed scum yet. Got it. Though as useful as PR's are, suspicions are not proof of anything, and therefore saying there suspicions is not as helpful to the town as you might think. What are your thoughts on on Zip? Do you agree with the investigators suspicions? 

1 hour ago, Asphalt said:

Thought it was just a figure of speech. What’s a strongman?

Truthfully I have never encountered one. But on the CTU database it says that a strongman is a Mafia member who can kill someone under any circumstance unless the target is a commuter or hider. Even if the strongman is blocked they can still kill, or if the strongman's target is protected they target can still die. Quite scary if one of those are about. 

59 minutes ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Again, stating my reason would have been counterproductive. I'm seeing a lot of defense for zepher and asphalt, but hardly any consideration into the possibility of one or both of them being scum.

Nothing of the sort. It means what it says. Somewhat of an overreaction on your part I must say.

They've claimed town commuter to me.

I don't like defending people, but when you are a PR who is in contact with the investigator and proceed to vote without reasoning. It makes it look like you found a scummy. If there is a commuter, then I could see a strongman being a possibility. Not confirmed but it would make sense, as it would help even out the game. 

7 minutes ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Can we vote to extend the day? :laugh: Unless I'm protected by a doctor or if I manage to block my killer, The chances of me being alive in the morning are slim. There's so many more ways I can annoy the scum [(and undoubtedly a few townies (sorry)]. :grin:

Wait why? I mean we have a full 20 minutes (full day) left to vote. I see no reason for an extension. 

I don’t believe Benson one bit about this blocker thing, and I don’t know if it’s because we’ve had trust issues the past few games. 

Unvote: Jack Bauer / KotZ (for now)

Vote: Benson / LMF

You’re doing so many scummy and curious things and I’m so confused and conflicted. I don’t want to think you’re scum but at the same time I don’t know. I’m so confused. Now I realize why Officer Lewis got himself lynched. He went nuts just like I am. I feel like my character belongs in an asylum after the 24 hours is up. 

Maybe I’m barking up the wrong tree. The investigator contacted me and said they found out that I’m town and that Benson is town, but maybe it’s a big play. Also the Benson knows that another player is a commuter and that the commuter was never investigated. 

Unvote: Benson / LMF

I don’t know what alignment or role you really are and I don’t think I will until the end of the game or if you die somehow. Seeing as how we apparently don’t have a vigilante you probably won’t, unless you really are town and you will die tonight. 

Why is the Chloe NPC always got a panicked face on? Maybe she’s the mole. 

Vote: Chloe / KotZ 

Whoops, I didn’t bold that. 

Wow, so much going on today.

1. Bob, I can believe an investigator would have checked you out. You've been strangely quiet, which is often a PR or scum play. So I'm tentatively buying your "I've been checked out" claim.  (of course, the other potential here is that you and Benson are scum together, making a bold play that I don't think was needed at this point in the game, so I'm sticking to you're likely telling the truth)

2. Benson, I think for the same reason, you're also probably telling the truth. 

3. Two people I'm currently quite suspicious of are Diane and Jason. Both have been very quiet and that's pinging loudly in my ears. DARN IT! (sorry, it slipped out). 

4. I'm sure someone will ask why I'm not voting for Dr James, since I did last hour. Well, I re-read that exchange. Yes, he exaggerated what I said, but even if it was a "blatant lie" like I said at the time, that doesn't seem like a particularly scum move. They're usually more careful than that, and there were plenty of easier targets than me to go after if that was the reasoning. So I'm currently leaning like 50.1% town on you Doc. 

For the reason I said above, and since there's no other voting going on and people need a prod, I will

Vote: Jason White (kintober)

If nothing else I think I can say that Benson's ploy will be sowing dissension.  Possibly to create too much conflict to achieve a Lynch?  Which side of the board does that benefit the most at this point in the game?

Hi all.  Sorry I haven't been active.  I've picked my chin up and popped in when I saw we've had some action today.  Then I tried to catch up on things and got a tad lost. :look:

Just for my clarity:

• LMF/Benson has claimed town blocker (to avoid a possible lynch)
  • LMF/Benson claims to be in contact with the investigator
  • Bob/Bob claims to be in contact with the investigator
  • There may be a Strongman and/or Commuter according to LMF/Benson, though this is 2nd/3rd hand info.  (No offense LMF, but it seemed like you were just throwing out roles from Mafiapedia at random there to see if anyone believed you, so I am not sure what to make of these.)

Assuming I got that all correct, I am willing to take a leap of faith and discount LMF/Benson from my suspicions going forward.  I've never really suspected Bob, so no big change there.  And for the record, while I have no proof to share, I no longer strongly suspect Fhomness/Diane, and that unfortunately pokes a big hole in my previous Tariq theory.  I still don't trust him mind you, it's just I am not as sure of his scumminess as I was previously.  The rest of you are all in a bucket marked "potential moles".

I was going to vote Tariq/Dr. James now in case I don't check back in, but I don't want to be pigheaded about this and I'm forcing myself to be more active.  So my vote is still outstanding... but it essentially still Dr. James.

45 minutes ago, Kwatchi said:
  • There may be a Strongman and/or Commuter according to LMF/Benson, though this is 2nd/3rd hand info.  (No offense LMF, but it seemed like you were just throwing out roles from Mafiapedia at random there to see if anyone believed you, so I am not sure what to make of these.)

For everyone's clarity, I believe what Benson is saying is there's a commuter claim, which he mis-read mafiawiki and thought that meant there would also be a strongman, and so initially said there's a strongman to hint at things without saying what he really was saying. In reality, there's a claimed commuter and therefore possibly a strongman as well, but that is not known at all at this point. 

One way to confirm a strongman would be for the doctor (the role, not Dr James) to protect someone who ended up dead from a nightkill. Other than that, there's not really a way to confirm it. 

1 hour ago, mostlytechnic said:

3. Two people I'm currently quite suspicious of are Diane and Jason. Both have been very quiet and that's pinging loudly in my ears. DARN IT! (sorry, it slipped out). 

4. I'm sure someone will ask why I'm not voting for Dr James, since I did last hour. Well, I re-read that exchange. Yes, he exaggerated what I said, but even if it was a "blatant lie" like I said at the time, that doesn't seem like a particularly scum move. They're usually more careful than that, and there were plenty of easier targets than me to go after if that was the reasoning. So I'm currently leaning like 50.1% town on you Doc. 

For the reason I said above, and since there's no other voting going on and people need a prod, I will

Vote: Jason White (kintober)

Noted and acknowledged. Apologies, I got tied up with something that's happening outside of the building.

2 hours ago, Tariq j said:

We’ve had this problem in the past with known town PR’s leading the town down the wrong path due to clarification. As a town PR people will take what you say as the gospel truth, so it’s important to distinguish between what you THINK and what you know as fact. 

I'm still not entirely trusting of Benson, seeing as how a lot of heat was put on him yesterday, but Dr. James has avoided the question I laid at her feet earlier. If you previously claimed to believe that both Benson and Goddard are scum. Do you believe Benson's claim to be the town blocker?

Vote: Dr. James (Tariq J)

This isn't a hard question to answer, but the fact you haven't gotten to it yet implies you're ignoring it. Consider my vote on you an incentive to speak up.

30 minutes ago, Kintobor said:

I'm still not entirely trusting of Benson, seeing as how a lot of heat was put on him yesterday, but Dr. James has avoided the question I laid at her feet earlier. If you previously claimed to believe that both Benson and Goddard are scum. Do you believe Benson's claim to be the town blocker?

Vote: Dr. James (Tariq J)

This isn't a hard question to answer, but the fact you haven't gotten to it yet implies you're ignoring it. Consider my vote on you an incentive to speak up.

I apologise for not getting to It sooner, to answer the questions, yes I believe it. I was lost at Benson at first but the essence of what he is saying makes sense. He is the blocker, who is in contact with the investigator, who also happens to be in contact with Bob. I'm still not sure what he means by "I want to confuse the scum, but also may confuse the town too" but I'm willing too give him the benefit of the doubt. 

1 hour ago, Kwatchi said:

I no longer strongly suspect Fhomness/Diane, and that unfortunately pokes a big hole in my previous Tariq theory.  I still don't trust him mind you, it's just I am not as sure of his scumminess as I was previously.  The rest of you are all in a bucket marked "potential moles".

I was going to vote Tariq/Dr. James now in case I don't check back in, but I don't want to be pigheaded about this and I'm forcing myself to be more active.  So my vote is still outstanding... but it essentially still Dr. James.

This feels very, flip flopping to me. You've said that your trust of Fhommes has put a hole in your theory about me, and that you find me less scummy... yet you're planning to vote for me anyway. 

2 hours ago, Kwatchi said:

Hi all.  Sorry I haven't been active.  I've picked my chin up and popped in when I saw we've had some action today.  Then I tried to catch up on things and got a tad lost. :look:

Just for my clarity:

• LMF/Benson has claimed town blocker (to avoid a possible lynch)
  • LMF/Benson claims to be in contact with the investigator
  • Bob/Bob claims to be in contact with the investigator

Assuming I got that all correct, I am willing to take a leap of faith and discount LMF/Benson from my suspicions going forward.  I've never really suspected Bob, so no big change there.  And for the record, while I have no proof to share, I no longer strongly suspect Fhomness/Diane, and that unfortunately pokes a big hole in my previous Tariq theory.  I still don't trust him mind you, it's just I am not as sure of his scumminess as I was previously.  The rest of you are all in a bucket marked "potential moles".

I think the bullet points are accurate.  A commuter would indicate that the scum have a way to deal with it or the town is sufficiently weak that they need someone the scum can't easily kill.  Commuter would also cause some issues for town PR's, like an investigator who can't then investigate that player.  From a finding scum standpoint, knowing that we have a commuter, or a strongman for that matter, doesn't really add anything to the process of finding scum.

I'd have to go back and read your theory on Dr. James in detail as I don't quite follow how I was involved in that thinking.  I don't trust the Dr. either.

I find it particularly interesting that Zip is voting for Jason... no longer really suspecting Dr. James, and that Jason is voting for Dr. James.

I'm going to re-up from yesterday and Vote: Zip (Mostlytechnic).  I haven't seen anything from Zip today that suggests to me that I should change my opinion from yesterday.  I would be happy to switch my vote to Riley or Dr. James at this point to get a lynch.

18 minutes ago, Tariq j said:

This feels very, flip flopping to me. You've said that your trust of Fhommes has put a hole in your theory about me, and that you find me less scummy... yet you're planning to vote for me anyway. 

Wouldn't I have to change my mind with no warning for it to be considered a flip-flop?  I think by definition this is actually the exact polar opposite.

To be clear: My opinion on Diane has been changed; I've had no reason to change opinion on you.  So while a conspiracy between you and her is now extremely doubtful, your PR fishing action from Day 2 did not become any less suspect by association (or in this case - disassociation).

Since you bring it up, I'd might as well formalize it so there is no further confusion.

Vote: Dr. James/Tariq J

While I am worried of being tunnel visioned, there really is no one else jumping out at me as scum.

Just now, fhomess said:

I'd have to go back and read your theory on Dr. James in detail as I don't quite follow how I was involved in that thinking.  I don't trust the Dr. either.

I thought you and Riley/Jluck were trying to peel me off Dr. James Day 3.  I no longer believe that you (i.e. Diane) were.

3 hours ago, Bob said:

I don’t believe Benson one bit about this blocker thing, and I don’t know if it’s because we’ve had trust issues the past few games. 

Unvote: Jack Bauer / KotZ (for now)

Vote: Benson / LMF

You’re doing so many scummy and curious things and I’m so confused and conflicted. I don’t want to think you’re scum but at the same time I don’t know. I’m so confused. Now I realize why Officer Lewis got himself lynched. He went nuts just like I am. I feel like my character belongs in an asylum after the 24 hours is up. 

Maybe I’m barking up the wrong tree. The investigator contacted me and said they found out that I’m town and that Benson is town, but maybe it’s a big play. Also the Benson knows that another player is a commuter and that the commuter was never investigated. 

Unvote: Benson / LMF

I don’t know what alignment or role you really are and I don’t think I will until the end of the game or if you die somehow. Seeing as how we apparently don’t have a vigilante you probably won’t, unless you really are town and you will die tonight. 

Why is the Chloe NPC always got a panicked face on? Maybe she’s the mole. 

Whoops, I didn’t bold that. 

So, how exactly is voting for Chloe or Jack going to assist us in helping catch the moles? 

Besides our Head of CTU and our Senior Analyst, who do you suspect of being scum?

This feels like another day of dragging our feet. I don't doubt Benson's claims at the moment, for the many reasons I've stated above. If he's a scum, frankly hats off on getting away with this outrageous claim. If anything it seems to me more likely that the "investigator" is potentially scum. As we've said before, if the scum know they've taken out the investigator it's a super easy role to claim, and it only takes two actions (a role cop and then a kill) to successfully pull off. Regardless of the stance of the investigator, the fact that the investigator has also contacted Bob more or less vindicates Benson in my opinion. If the investigator is scum, it's easy to contact two townies to corroborate their story, but it doesn't mean either of the town is lying. If the investigator is town, then they'd have no reason to lie. Potentially the investigator and one or two of the people they're using to corroborate their story are scum, but that seems like unnecessary clumping of scum when they could just as easily use town to fill the same role.

Unfortunately the development of a potential town block doesn't actually give us any new actionable information, except taking for the moment both Benson and Bob off my seriously watched list.

I'm hopeful I'll be able to come change this if need be, but for now I'll stick with my vote from yesterday and Vote: Zip (mostlytechnic).

Current vote tally
Riley Marshall (jluck) - 2 vote (legomonorailfan, Asphalt)
Chloe/KotZ - 1 vote that doesn't really count :tongue: (Bob)
Jason White (Kintobor) - 1 vote (mostlytechnic)
Dr. James (Tariq J) - 1 vote (Kintobor)
Zip (mostlytechnic) - 2 votes (fhomess, Kwatchi)

With 11 players, a majority of 6 is needed to lynch. There are 24 hours left in the day.

It's been a crazy day full of claims, werid votes and other things. Sadly dispite the apparent town block that has formed, we are no closer to disposing the moles then when we started. I think a lynch is needed today, and sense nothing Zip has said has changed my mind about him, I will 

Vote: Zip (mostlytechnic) 

6 minutes ago, KotZ said:

Wait, why should it not count? I suspect we ought to look into the people who are running this whole unit. It seems there powerful influence can dismiss them from the law. 

8 minutes ago, Khscarymovie4 said:

Wait, why should it not count? I suspect we ought to look into the people who are running this whole unit. It seems there powerful influence can dismiss them from the law. 

chloeobrien.png

"Because Jack trusts me after I've gotten him out of more bad situations than he can count."

Look, at this point we have basically zero margin of error. We have to have a lynch and we better hope it’s right. The town block has either been unlucky or doesn’t exist so we’re not getting much there. Idk how Moore has skated by with such a weird display but I know it does seem too bold for a scum player. Still, why is he voting for me then? He’s also responsible for the votes on MT with his vague “the investigator doesn’t trust MT” line. He’s basically created both candidates for today’s lynch and yet given us no reason to trust him. I don’t know what to make of it. 

28 minutes ago, jluck said:

Look, at this point we have basically zero margin of error. We have to have a lynch and we better hope it’s right. The town block has either been unlucky or doesn’t exist so we’re not getting much there. Idk how Moore has skated by with such a weird display but I know it does seem too bold for a scum player. Still, why is he voting for me then? He’s also responsible for the votes on MT with his vague “the investigator doesn’t trust MT” line. He’s basically created both candidates for today’s lynch and yet given us no reason to trust him. I don’t know what to make of it. 

It must be hard when your teammate is a likely lynch candidate and you can't figure out how to turn the tide toward a townie, huh?

The vote is begin to split again, We can’t afford to mess this lynch up, so my vote is definitely to Zip. For the same reasons as yesterday. 

Vote: Zip (Mostlytechnic)

I have to agree that another split vote today only benefits the Moles since it gives them another free pass to do whatever they wish in the evening.  I'm thinking there may be another option to Benson's odd behavior.  Maybe he is the Town Investigator and he is claiming Block because he knows the block is already dead and it is safer for him to claim that role.  He can then "be in contact" with anyone he wishes as a diversion away from that.  Again it all comes down to if the information and hints he put forth hold true whether he is still under scrutiny in our next hour.  I'm going to go with his "contacts" misgivings and attempt to unspilt this vote so as not to give another free pass.   I hope it is the right decision.

UNVOTE Riley Marshall (jluck)

Vote: Zip (mostlytechnic)

8 hours ago, Zepher said:

This feels like another day of dragging our feet.

Well, we've got a number of people not talking much and a couple people talking a ton. But it really feels like a bunch of people are waiting for someone to get a couple votes and then just jump on the train... oh wait, that's exactly what's about to happen to me! 

7 hours ago, KotZ said:

Current vote tally
Riley Marshall (jluck) - 2 vote (legomonorailfan, Asphalt)
Jason White (Kintobor) - 1 vote (mostlytechnic)
Dr. James (Tariq J) - 1 vote (Kintobor)
Zip (mostlytechnic) - 2 votes (fhomess, Kwatchi)

With 11 players, a majority of 6 is needed to lynch. There are 24 hours left in the day.

You missed a vote by kwatchi on Dr James. He's got 2 votes, so at the time of Alfred's vote on me he was making a 3-way tie with 2 votes each. That's a great way to help out a day of "dragging our feet" - split the vote up even more!

6 hours ago, jluck said:

Yep. I actually do trust his role claim, and I think we have an unlucky investigator who's cleared a couple people but hasn't found a scum yet. It happens. 

24 minutes ago, Tariq j said:

The vote is begin to split again, We can’t afford to mess this lynch up, so my vote is definitely to Zip. For the same reasons as yesterday. 

Vote: Zip (Mostlytechnic)

Oh look. That's now 3 people overnight who jumped on the Zip train. And they all said "hey, I'm voting for Zip for the same lazy, wrong reasons I did yesterday." Oh, now while I'm tying up this report another person climbed on, so now I'm just about dead. Well, you all are wrong. I'm CTU vanilla. No PR, but the town will be down 2 tonight with this (myself, plus whoever the scum take out overnight) so tomorrow will be even tougher. 

So next hour, whoever is left of the CTU loyal team... make sure to look at the voting patterns and think more carefully about your lynches. DARN IT! 

I'm having a lot of trouble getting scum reads, and MT is no exception. His statement from yesterday suggesting that all the scum must be on the Jamesn wagon felt so strange at the time, but now it feels like I was grasping at straws. I'm going to Vote: Zip (mostlytechnic), but I'm really hoping I'll find something better by looking back thru everyone's ISO.

1 hour ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

I'm having a lot of trouble getting scum reads, and MT is no exception. His statement from yesterday suggesting that all the scum must be on the Jamesn wagon felt so strange at the time, but now it feels like I was grasping at straws. I'm going to Vote: Zip (mostlytechnic), but I'm really hoping I'll find something better by looking back thru everyone's ISO.

I'm beating a dead horse here, but I NEVER SAID THAT. The day started with people saying there must be scum NOT on the wagon, and I said that's not true. Yes, you (and others) ARE and WERE grasping at straws and twisting what I said in order to find ANYTHING to lynch someone over. There may or may not have been scum off the wagon (which I've said over and over). But when I show up town next hour, keep in mind who all has been shouting so hard for my death. There are DEFINITELY scum in that group. Personally, I don't think Benson is one; I think benson is just jumping on the wagon now to get a lynch. 

One question before I die - Benson, did you ever give a timeline of who contacted you when? Of the other PRs you're in contact with, which revealed themselves to you BEFORE your claim and which ones after? That's tough to read too much into, since why would anyone (except an investigator who had cleared you) claim to you before you'd claimed? But it also makes one wonder, if any of them are scum trying to protect themselves by claiming a PR and getting into the town block... don't trust anyone too much who hasn't also been cleared by the investigator. 

Oh, and one more question... Benson, was anyone pushing you to claim before you did, or was that a decision solely made by you? Again, info for CTU to consider in hunting ACTUAL moles around here. 

As a loyal CTU agent, I don't want to go down without a fight. So again, beating a dead horse for people who can't read and understand plain words... Here's what was ACTUALLY SAID yesterday. 

First, the Senator jumps in... 

On 1/15/2019 at 12:01 AM, Khscarymovie4 said:

Ok so here is yesterday's vote count. Scum love to spread out their votes, so based off that logic I'm willing to say that their were definitely scum on the Lewis wagon. I also would not be surprised if some scum voted for Lewis before he gave up, which I think is from kintobor down. Also it's logical to think that a scum or two spread their filth elsewhere. 

And Wilson.... 

On 1/15/2019 at 8:28 AM, Asphalt said:

Based on the votes from yesterday I would also agree that it would be odd for the moles to pile onto a sure thing.  But EVERYTHING about yesterday was odd.  Wording, penalties, self destruction.  It was an odd hour.

And the Senator again... 

On 1/15/2019 at 9:05 AM, Khscarymovie4 said:

You know just as well as I do that scum love to spread out their votes. Especially if they know that whoever is being voted on is a townie. They know it may make them look better in the morning. There are scum on the wagon, no doubt. But to completely ignore the outsider votes is a bad thing, as I have a suspicion that there is a scum there somewhere. Might just be all the mess about politics and moles in my head, but this sort of sounds like someone trying to distance discussion about outsider votes. Interesting. 

What I ACTUALLY SAID in the middle of this repetitive drumbeat of "look for the scum off the wagon" was:

That said, why do you assume that there are moles off of the Lewis wagon? Assuming like you did that a mole voted for him before he went crazy, then why wouldn't the rest of the moles jump on after the penalty since it was a completely safe, blameless place to vote? If I was on the scum team that's what I'd have done. 

YES, MOLES LOVE TO SPREAD THEIR VOTES OUT. But that's in a normal lynch vote. When the lynchee commits suicide by edit, then WHY ON EARTH would the scum not take advantage of that and safely pile their votes onto it? There is ZERO RISK to them, and that's what scum love more than anything else in the world - safety in voting! So again, once I flip town tomorrow, go check out the Senator and Wilson since they were leading the pack on this bad logic and leading the mob against me. And after all, Senators are all scummy liars anyway, right? Why do we even let them in CTU? Get the politicians out of here so we can HUNT MOLES and KILL THEM! DARN IT!