henrysunset

2019 LEGO Architecture

1 hour ago, Lucarex said:

WTH? I never knew this.

Yup. In early 2012, I was working in retail and would occasionally scour our store's internal inventory system for updates on upcoming products, which was how I found 21014 Villa Savoye ($69.99) and 21015 Eames House ($59.99), both with a slated release date of September. I never turned up any pictures or anything, but presumably there's at least a rough draft somewhere in LEGO's archives if it got as far as a name and price being released to retailers. But then September came and went with only 21014 hitting the shelves, and 21015 was nonexistent until it resurfaced the following summer attached to the Leaning Tower of Pisa instead.

Anyway, I try not to dwell on that too much - even if I naïvely hope, every year, maybe this year they'll dust off the plans for that one and put it into production - since as Tom notes it's pretty clear the Architect Series just wasn't commercially viable, especially as the theme as a whole has gotten wider mainstream distribution. Besides, it's probably a good thing for my own budget that my interest in this theme has waned in recent years, because there's no shortage of other sets catching my attention these days. I try to take the optimistic approach that while it's not a great time to be a LEGO Architecture fan, it's still a pretty great time to be a LEGO fan overall.

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 5:44 AM, tafkatb said:

Yup. In early 2012, I was working in retail and would occasionally scour our store's internal inventory system for updates on upcoming products, which was how I found 21014 Villa Savoye ($69.99) and 21015 Eames House ($59.99), both with a slated release date of September. I never turned up any pictures or anything, but presumably there's at least a rough draft somewhere in LEGO's archives if it got as far as a name and price being released to retailers. But then September came and went with only 21014 hitting the shelves, and 21015 was nonexistent until it resurfaced the following summer attached to the Leaning Tower of Pisa instead.

Anyway, I try not to dwell on that too much - even if I naïvely hope, every year, maybe this year they'll dust off the plans for that one and put it into production - since as Tom notes it's pretty clear the Architect Series just wasn't commercially viable, especially as the theme as a whole has gotten wider mainstream distribution. Besides, it's probably a good thing for my own budget that my interest in this theme has waned in recent years, because there's no shortage of other sets catching my attention these days. I try to take the optimistic approach that while it's not a great time to be a LEGO Architecture fan, it's still a pretty great time to be a LEGO fan overall.

Trust me, your lament is well shared across the board from some of us.  I would have 10 sets a year in this line if I could.  I really only get this line and the modular each year although the fairground sets are intriguing since there is such a lack of sets in the Architecture line.

On 2/1/2019 at 3:32 PM, julesvincent said:

@henrysunset Hey Tom, I just kinda relized that you are the one behind the brickarchitect. Thanks a lot for that awesome page!!!

Concerning the awareness of Lego Architecture, in Germany it is now sold at every retailer that carries Lego. That is something that started just now with the chinese wall and the SOL. And even more so, the whole lineup is featured in the retailer catalog here, which is also a first. 

Thanks for the kind words!  It is always a pleasure to know that your work is being appreciated.  :-)

I'm glad to hear LEGO Architecture is being widely distributed in Germany!  Here in the USA, it is pretty much only available in official LEGO stores and Barnes and Noble.  They also used to sell them in Toys"R"Us, but as you probably heard they went out of business.

Target stores have recently started to stock Architecture as well.  I think they are filling the void that TRU left behind.

Herky, yes, it is rumored to be a gift with purchase promo that will run in the 2nd half of April. ~$75 is the likely range.

I have seen leaks now of both the Empire State and the Trafalgar Square. As the ESB was a no-brainer as I collect the NYC sets, the Trafalgar quite surprised me with the whole facade of the National Gallery. I kinda thought they just do the "square" and it looks like it has a different Scale than the Buckingham.

28 minutes ago, julesvincent said:

I have seen leaks now of both the Empire State and the Trafalgar Square.

Aw, no King Kong atop the Empire? :cry_sad: :sarcasm:

Seriously though, the larger-scaled ESB is looking good... :thumbup: :smug:

ESB looks good, but it's not nearly as interesting as the Statue of Liberty (obviously). Do we have a price for it yet?

2 hours ago, Terrasher said:

ESB looks good, but it's not nearly as interesting as the Statue of Liberty (obviously).

True, as the Statue of Liberty is not only more complex in its construction, for the same price, you get oodles of Sand Green goodness from the former! :grin:

On 2/2/2019 at 9:35 AM, Lucarex said:

Interesting you compare Traf Sq to the Trevi. I guess they are both landmarks, but having lived in both London and Rome, one is in a different league altogether IMO.

Likewise in Lego terms, the Fontana model remains my favourite Architecture model and I can't even imagine wanting to buy a brick-built representation of a pigeon-infested expanse with a column statue in the middle, a generic classical gallery on one side and a few stone lions scattered about.

Haha...well I’ve just seen the leaked “preliminary” and to say I’m pleasantly surprised is an understatement!

My above comment still applies to the real life square, but Lego have lipsticked the pig and made a really great brick recreation. Focused on the north side, the classical NPG looks superb and the little details from trees to double decker buses just set it off perfectly.

Still, Trevi remains my favourite Architecture set, followed by Louvre and new Guggenheim, but I’m already looking to clear a space for TrafSq.

Anyone know release date?

22 hours ago, Terrasher said:

ESB looks good, but it's not nearly as interesting as the Statue of Liberty (obviously). Do we have a price for it yet?

100€.

4 hours ago, Lucarex said:

Anyone know release date?

June.

The Empire State is almost in a perfect 1:1000 scale, so that's nice. I'm planning to build the Chrystler in the same scale to match it.

25 minutes ago, ddavid said:

I'm planning to build the Chrystler in the same scale to match it.

The build they should have made IMO

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 8:46 PM, blueduck37 said:

PM me if anyone can point me in the direction of these leaks... thanks!

me too

On 4/2/2019 at 8:46 PM, blueduck37 said:

PM me if anyone can point me in the direction of these leaks... thanks!

8 minutes ago, Herky said:

me too

They're still there over on Instagram, buried down a ways under #legoleaks:wink:

As someone who didn't get the original Empire State (but was able to build it minus the printed tile from my own collection) and would like the NYC Skyline if I can get it at a reasonable price (unlikely now that its discontinued), the new Empire State Building sounds very interesting.

Who knows, if I end up making the trip to the USA (including New York) I am thinking of doing, I might be able to pick up a copy in the same city as the building represented by the set (would be the first time since I have not been to any cities that have Architecture representations since the line began)

39 minutes ago, jpx said:

The Trafalgar Square set have been revealed over on https://brickset.com/article/43136/architecture-landmark-set-trafalgar-square-revealed, so no need to scroll through blurry pictures for that one.

The Brick Fan - LEGO Architecture Trafalgar Square (21045) Revealed

40600600363_5fd3439dc4_c.jpg