Rustinidiel

[Mod][Moc] Death Star midi-scale

Hi all,

Maybe you know the cool MOC-5505 Death Star II midi-scale (https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-5505/집중/death-star-ii-midi-scale/)

here the LDD recreation

46033670511_3ed50beb3e_b.jpgDeath_Star_01 by Rusty B.

I've modded that creation to obtain a better solid structure, a transparent stand and more detailed exterior

44217908170_2bcb87a99d_b.jpgDeath_Star_02 by Rusty B.

here a comparison of the original moc and my modded version

46033670581_f2be197b49_b.jpgDeath_Star_03 by Rusty B.

44217908420_ed717c776a_b.jpgDeath_Star_04 by Rusty B.

outside the modded version has more detailed curved panels ans a better round disc superlaser, but the major work i've done is inside, the original moc has the round structure of the Death Star, with the curved panels, only posed on the internal structure/stand... the only parts blocked on the structure/stand are the "building" sections of the Death Star...

i wanted to fix that aspect of the moc, and found some solutions to fit and block all the external structure to the internal structure/stand

46024861522_1e11bf7f63_b.jpgDeath_Star_05 by Rusty B.

now the round section with curved panels is blocked with the internal structure/stand, the result is a more solid creation... the round panels are blocked in position too

because someone love the Death Star II and some one the first version, i recreated the both versions, ofcourse with similar but different internal structure/stand

46033670841_a05c966995_b.jpgDeath_Star_06 by Rusty B.

But i think someone not want only a Death star as a display set... maybe someone want a playset, or a little diorama inside it... mantaining the lower structure/stand and let the superior curved panel movable, is possible to obtain a little, but usefull, amount of space to create a little vignette

here the Death Star I when opening the round panels

45149813155_c10975294b_b.jpgDeath_Star_Playset_01 by Rusty B.

and now with all the round panels opened, and rotated emperor throne

45337396524_54bf3bc4d9_b.jpgDeath_Star_Playset_02 by Rusty B.

i know, i know... the "final duel" was not inside the Death Star I, but is only to explain the potentiality of the space, and because i love the rotating emperor throne :laugh_hard:

for this i made the Death Star II version, more canonical... but with firm throne :hmpf_bad:

45149814395_8ba866c172_b.jpgDeath_Star_Playset_03 by Rusty B.

i think is possible make other vignette inside, with a bit of imagination... mine are a prototype with not mutch details... but, only changing the emperor throne orientation inside the Death Star I, all other minifig can be stay in that position and the round panels can be opened and closed perfectly...

as always, i used only exsting bricks in existing colors...

i think to build soon in real bricks one version of my modded moc for Chrstmas, and than i will post more photos of the creation....

for now, i hope you like my work

comments, opinions and mostly criticism are always welcome

1 hour ago, TemjinStrife said:

This is great! Excellent scale and detailing, and the interior in both is the icing on the cake!

thanks a lot!  you are in right, i i'm in doubt of what version will build, if the display or the version with the vignette inside :laugh_hard:

23 minutes ago, Gusseteer said:

Nice work, roughly how many parts in your DS1 and DS2 mocmods? Will you be offering instructions?

thanks man! the original DS2 is around 750 bricks, my DS2 is around 850 and the DS1 800.... the vignette versions, without minifigs, are DS2 880 and DS1 850... but, the vignette versions are a prototype... i think can be added some more details of the interior of rooms...

for the instructions... soon i open my own website where you can find all instructions of all mocs i made (you can see some of them on my flickr)

This is great! What I like is the scale of this, it's something that would fit anywhere on your desk but it still has enough details to keep it interesting. 

Nice! The interior looks great! This is definitely a cheaper alternative to TLG's Death star II :)

On 11/27/2018 at 7:33 PM, Ellisss_2 said:

Great build, was surprised to see that interior!

On 11/27/2018 at 11:00 PM, Hollander said:

This is great! What I like is the scale of this, it's something that would fit anywhere on your desk but it still has enough details to keep it interesting. 

On 11/28/2018 at 6:02 AM, Reaper said:

Nice! The interior looks great! This is definitely a cheaper alternative to TLG's Death star II :)

Thanks to all guys, if you have any suggestion for the internal details... or other possible vignette, tell me it

these are great, if you release the instructions, I would be interested in building both the Death Star 1 and II. Not sure if I would bother with the internal diorama personally, but it's a really cool addition.

Wow, these are really impressive. The shaping is perfect and the under-construction areas of the DS2 are very, very good. I can’t believe it has an interior though and that you can squeeze minifigures in there. Well done, excellent work!

Oh and in response to your Flickr message (sorry, it won’t let me reply) I’d be very interested in a guide or instructions for these and your Rogue Shadow. I see you’re planning your own website, I would suggest putting your instructions on Rebrickable too, they charge a fee on each sale but make the selling process very easy.

Edited by mcphatty

7 hours ago, Ozbikrbuddy said:

love to see the plan of this. I plan to make myself a death star 1

"love to see the plan of this" i not understand what you mean... 

1 hour ago, mcphatty said:

Wow, these are really impressive. The shaping is perfect and the under-construction areas of the DS2 are very, very good. I can’t believe it has an interior though and that you can squeeze minifigures in there. Well done, excellent work!

Oh and in response to your Flickr message (sorry, it won’t let me reply) I’d be very interested in a guide or instructions for these and your Rogue Shadow. I see you’re planning your own website, I would suggest putting your instructions on Rebrickable too, they charge a fee on each sale but make the selling process very easy.

thanks a lot or your appreciation!

and yes, all the minifig are connected by a floor stud and in that position stay inside perfectly with he DS panels closed... only in DS1 the Emperor throne need to be rotated to let the panels to be closed...

for the instructions, i send to you a PM... and i will check Rebrickable to understand how it works... sadly i had a lot of problem in my real life, so my own website is already under construction,,,

Some of the changes are improvements for sure, but some I think come at the expense of the authenticity of the overall shape and presence. The equator trench seems way too prominent here, being a full stud wide, especially because it's exaggerated by the use of plates with rails above and below. Therefore the whole middle 'band' of the model appears too 'slim' due to missing studs and overall give me more pokeball vibe :)
I like the improved beam although the 6 wide dish seems a bit too large. 4 wide was a bit small on the other hand so I don't think there is a better choice between the two :) 

Last, I think I know where you were going with the dark grey texture using the jumper tiles and grilles, but I think at this scale it's just too aggressive. I feel like uniform color and surface represent the 'size' of the death star better and these little greebles make it look less believable. 

2 hours ago, Kristof said:

Some of the changes are improvements for sure, but some I think come at the expense of the authenticity of the overall shape and presence. The equator trench seems way too prominent here, being a full stud wide, especially because it's exaggerated by the use of plates with rails above and below. Therefore the whole middle 'band' of the model appears too 'slim' due to missing studs and overall give me more pokeball vibe :)
I like the improved beam although the 6 wide dish seems a bit too large. 4 wide was a bit small on the other hand so I don't think there is a better choice between the two :) 

Last, I think I know where you were going with the dark grey texture using the jumper tiles and grilles, but I think at this scale it's just too aggressive. I feel like uniform color and surface represent the 'size' of the death star better and these little greebles make it look less believable. 

i used the plates with rails as "obligatory choice" to have a trench of 1 stud high... because i not found another way to have a 1 stud trenc in the middle of a 4 stud high plate... if you got a suggestion to not use all those plates with rails, thanks...

for the "middle band" you are right, some studs would give a more believable shape to the trench... maybe some "non continous" studs...

for the dish... a 5 wide not exist, for this i preferred to use the 6 wide... for me a dish little more big is better on the overall shape than the 4 wide... and lets to make a complete turbolaser rays system...

i can try to replace the ark bluish grey grilles and tiles with stud to obtain a more natural shape for the scale of this Death Star...

i'll work on those changes by your suggestions, and than i'll post the result...

anyway, thanks a lot for your opinion and suggestion! rarely i work on that scale, so i appreciate a lot the suggestion of other designers to improve my model and my ability above all...

* cool! Make sure to take my suggestions for what they are- just my personal opinions ;)

I dont know about avoiding those rail plates, frankly. My poinr was that IMO having the trench which doesnt look very accurate might not be better than having no trench at all. But then again, my opinion only!

1 hour ago, Kristof said:

* cool! Make sure to take my suggestions for what they are- just my personal opinions ;)

I dont know about avoiding those rail plates, frankly. My poinr was that IMO having the trench which doesnt look very accurate might not be better than having no trench at all. But then again, my opinion only!

ofcourse your suggestion is your opinion... but i think opinions can help imagination, so, i will try to do the things suggested and later i value if i like them or not :)

i think the trench is a must... the original Death Star is made by 2 hemisphere with a trench in the middle.... as i said, i not usually work in this scale... but i dont want renounce about details

here there are the modifications by your suggestions:

i've changed the color of the jumper tiles and grilles, and modified the trench details... i think now the trench is less visible (as color impact, and maybe only in the render) but looks more detailed... anyway i mantained the plates with rails....

49608401742_b3b9be6901_b.jpgDeath_Star by Rusty B.

49608183251_9cf4dbaed6_b.jpgDeath_Star by Rusty B.

i like a lot those modifications... so, thank you!

and for your "taste", the design looks better now?

Edited by Rustinidiel

@Rustinidiel What a quick action! :D I like the changes. The combination of plates with rails and the grille tiles make up for a very cool effect, leaving just the one thin 'window' slot! Anyway, from my perspective, the new version looks much better.

for all interested users.... i've finished the instructions of the Death Star 1

now i'm working on the Death Star 2, and after it i'll make the instructions of the diorama versions

This is really a nice Moc. I have no interest in the big LEGO Death Star art due to size and cost but this smaller moc would be a much better fit. Love it. 

it's very interesting tiny build, but it's really cute and lots of skill involved, love it, imagining it display on the desk ...

On 4/8/2020 at 6:01 PM, Graupensuppe said:

Nice! You could also build a trade federation core ship like that.

you mean in that scale or with this sphere as the center of the trade federation core ship?

for all who are interested, i've finished the instructions of the Death Star II with diorama!