Momotof

Lord of the Rings Ongoing Discussion

1 hour ago, MAB said:

I have the existing minifigs and expanded the original Council of Elrond set, so I'd probably skip it if redone. If they did other sets alongside I might buy in again, but a one off repeat is of no interest to me. It will be a difficult balancing job if they decide on just one big set.

Same here, I already own all the existing sets and minifigs. If they do only one single new set, it should be one with new minifigs, not just existing ones. A Minas Tirith set could feature Eowyn, Faramir, Denethor, the Witch-King...

A D2C Rivendell would be beautiful I’m sure, and could include the entire fellowship, white counsel and other desired figures like old Bilbo

I don’t think I would purchase it myself though as I already have the old small set and have no place to display something so expansive, I would love to see it built at the Lego store however just to appreciate it.

I just hope it’s not a giant bust of Sauron that dwarfs the Black Panther one 😅

22 hours ago, Altair1 said:

Maybe they are as iconic as Minas Tirith, but not more in my opinion. And besides I believe they are much less likely to be chosen for the D2C set, given that we already had Bag End as a set (which is the most representative part of Hobbiton) and Orthanc tower (so they would probably not choose to make a second dark tower).

I don't think what they did before will have any bearing on what they do now whatsoever. Minas Tirith just isn't as iconic as hobbiton or the eye of sauron, it's the least likely of the likely possibilities. I don't think Lego has the right colour to do it justice anyhow, the light grey is too grey but the white would look to clean.

Does this Eowyn not count :laugh:

8 hours ago, Seaber said:

Bag End, with the four main Hobbits, Bilbo and Gandalf would be lovely, but apart from a few other Hobbits (Rosie Cotton, the Proudfoots, Farmer Maggot etc) the minifigure line up isn't the most thrilling. 

We could get some hobbit figures in there too, young Bilbo, the 13 Dwarves.

12 hours ago, Seaber said:

Rivendell with the whole Fellowship, Elrond, Arwen and Bilbo would be amazing. 

In my opinion, I find that a Rivendell set would be disappointing. Not that I don't like the idea. I'm sure it would make a great display set.
But if there is only going to be one set, I would prefer to see a set where the action is focused like a set based on the Mines of Moria (The Tomb of Balin scene or the clash with the Balrog).
Bag End would be a great choice for balancing display and action sets!

5 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

I don't think what they did before will have any bearing on what they do now whatsoever. Minas Tirith just isn't as iconic as hobbiton or the eye of sauron, it's the least likely of the likely possibilities. I don't think Lego has the right colour to do it justice anyhow, the light grey is too grey but the white would look to clean.

Does this Eowyn not count :laugh:

We could get some hobbit figures in there too, young Bilbo, the 13 Dwarves.

We already have Bilbo and the 13 dwarves in the Hobbit sets.

1 hour ago, Khargeust said:

In my opinion, I find that a Rivendell set would be disappointing. Not that I don't like the idea. I'm sure it would make a great display set.
But if there is only going to be one set, I would prefer to see a set where the action is focused like a set based on the Mines of Moria (The Tomb of Balin scene or the clash with the Balrog).
Bag End would be a great choice for balancing display and action sets!

We already have a set based on the Mines of Moria (tomb of Balin) and a Bag End set. A Balrog against Gandalf set would be nice, but not as much as Minas Tirith in my opinion.

7 hours ago, DocStrange said:

So I guess we are getting an Aragorn and Arwen brickhead now too

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this. While I'm not particularly interested in the Brickheadz sets, its a good sign we're getting quite a few of them right of the bat considering LOTR has been an inactive license for the past decade. And if we're getting Arwen this early surely characters like Legolas and Gimli can't be too far behind.

Going back to the D2C set, what does everyone think of Edoras (or more specifically the Golden Hall) being used to tie-in with War of the Rohirim coming to theatres next year? Its not as iconic as Bag End or Minas Tirith, but it would have the advantage of being relevant to the latest media release similar to how the modular Sanctum Sanctorum set was used to coincide with the latest Doctor Strange movie.

1 hour ago, wesker said:

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this. While I'm not particularly interested in the Brickheadz sets, its a good sign we're getting quite a few of them right of the bat considering LOTR has been an inactive license for the past decade. And if we're getting Arwen this early surely characters like Legolas and Gimli can't be too far behind.

Going back to the D2C set, what does everyone think of Edoras (or more specifically the Golden Hall) being used to tie-in with War of the Rohirim coming to theatres next year? Its not as iconic as Bag End or Minas Tirith, but it would have the advantage of being relevant to the latest media release similar to how the modular Sanctum Sanctorum set was used to coincide with the latest Doctor Strange movie.

It would be a good choice for a regular set, but not a D2C IMO. At least not the first D2C in the theme ( if it is more than a one off)

3 hours ago, Altair1 said:

We already have Bilbo and the 13 dwarves in the Hobbit sets.

We already have a set based on the Mines of Moria (tomb of Balin) and a Bag End set. A Balrog against Gandalf set would be nice, but not as much as Minas Tirith in my opinion.

Please see my point about how what we got before ( and not everybody has all the sets anyway, I for example only have 7 of the 13 the Dwarves ( plus Dain and Gimli))

I understand not wanting them to 'waste' resources repeating themselves but it is inevitable. I mean look at the revival of Harry Potter or the Leaks for Indy's revival. And it does make good business sense to leave off the most iconic things just because you've done them before especially as the audience has changed. ( And many people who had the old would buy the new, I personally want to get any minifig scale Tolkien set they make even if I already have the old version) but Barad-dûr hasn't been made before anyways and it'd be one of my top guesses.

15 hours ago, wesker said:

I could not care less about the Brickheadz sets, which I all find ugly. As for an Edoras set, it is a great idea and would be my second favorite for the D2C set (right after Minas Tirith, of course!)

2 hours ago, Altair1 said:

I could not care less about the Brickheadz sets, which I all find ugly. As for an Edoras set, it is a great idea and would be my second favorite for the D2C set (right after Minas Tirith, of course!)

Agreed on both counts.

On 10/12/2022 at 6:07 PM, wesker said:

Meduseld is actually one of my most desired sets from a LOTR theme

I bet the D2C will be something stupid like a massive one ring with all the lettering on the outside

4 hours ago, Llewop said:

I bet the D2C will be something stupid like a massive one ring with all the lettering on the outside

I'll only accept it if the letters are stickers. :devil:

5 hours ago, Llewop said:

No, no, just no. Minifigure scale D2C, please!!!

10 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

No, no, just no. Minifigure scale D2C, please!!!

I’m in the same boat believe me. But the brickheadz rumors and all the weird helmets and busts that other themes get I can see Lego doing that and wasting this license again when it has so much potential 

Why not Smaug and his gold hoard? After you build Smaug the instructions are just 40 pages of removing gold coins from the sprue and dumping them on the dragon. Bilbo is not included because he is wearing the ring.  

8 hours ago, GarmadonFan said:

Why not Smaug and his gold hoard? After you build Smaug the instructions are just 40 pages of removing gold coins from the sprue and dumping them on the dragon. Bilbo is not included because he is wearing the ring.  

We already have a set with Smaug (the Lonely Mountain).

And they already did the gold mountain though PAB with the 2p/2c metallic gold parts from the Monkie Kid sets.

3 hours ago, Altair1 said:

WHAT THEY DID BEFORE WON'T AFFECT WHAT THEY DO NOW.

How many times must it be said before it sinks in?

Though personally I doubt Smaug is likely anyway, it's said to be a LotR set so if it has anything from the hobbit it'd probably be something from both trilogies like Bag-End. Which would get us an old Bilbo Ian Holm minifigure.

My main hope is merely that it is something system scale with minifigs. 

1 hour ago, Agent Kallus said:

WHAT THEY DID BEFORE WON'T AFFECT WHAT THEY DO NOW.

How many times must it be said before it sinks in?

Though personally I doubt Smaug is likely anyway, it's said to be a LotR set so if it has anything from the hobbit it'd probably be something from both trilogies like Bag-End. Which would get us an old Bilbo Ian Holm minifigure.

My main hope is merely that it is something system scale with minifigs. 

Writing in capitals does not make things true :-) How do you know? Do you read in their minds? It might affect it... or not. We will know soon enough :-)

Writing in capitals does not make things true :-) How do you know? Do you read in their minds? It might affect it... or not. We will know soon enough :-)

It’s been 8 years since Lego released a LOTR/Hobbit set. The market that was both old enough and had enough disposable income to get every single set back then is extremely small. Most people who collected back then will have either aged out of it, or didn’t get all of the sets because they were a child with no money of their own. (Like myself)

Lego can’t and won’t be thinking about people who have every single set as a target market for making LOTR sets now. The target market will be the new group of kids growing up now, people who were too young to get the sets back in 2012-2014, and adult LOTR collectors. 
The market of people who got every single set back in the early 2010s and also might not buy new sets because they already have the build or minifigures is so extremely small that there’s no way Lego would consider them. 

7 hours ago, Altair1 said:

You realize the post you’re quoting is a joke, right?

16 hours ago, GarmadonFan said:

Bilbo IS included. But you can't see him, because he's wearing the ring. :laugh:

While I rather have a playset or minifig scale build, all I ask for is a Sauron minifigure. If they give me that then everything else is extra.