Momotof

Lord of the Rings Ongoing Discussion

7 hours ago, th0r1n said:

As always, a fantastic review. The comments made towards the end of the video were a bit of a downer though. The suggestion that this is probably all we’re getting in the LOTR theme. ☹️

IF it doesn't sell well. Baradur design was leaked for a reason. If this set sells well we are getting another set in baradur. 

5 hours ago, Lordhelmet said:

If true I’ll buy another one next year.  Should know by the end of the year though.

Me too!!!

1 hour ago, kuzyabricks said:

IF it doesn't sell well. Baradur design was leaked for a reason. If this set sells well we are getting another set in baradur. 

Yes, hopefully! And more!!!

On 3/6/2023 at 3:50 AM, JimBaggins said:

I had the Minifigures already, except for Sarumons dress and Wormtongue who I cobbled together with snape and palatine parts. I didn't build treebeard as I think his design in this set is ugly. 

There is another head you could use for Womtounge which looks very similar and should be inexpensive to find on BrickLink: The Mandarin from Ironman 3. The new Lucius Malfoy torso print is also a good substitute (Custom Denethor also) 

44 minutes ago, Jarreth2 said:

So Lego Ideas have launched a new challenge for 2023 !! Interesting 🤔

https://ideas.lego.com/challenges/58660122-6eea-44ec-bfb4-a0d26f4015fa?query=&sort=top

Very cool challenge, I can't wait to see everything submitted.

6 minutes ago, McMurder_them_softly said:

Anyone notice in the brick fanatics interview, the designers say the white haired dwarf is "definitely not Gloin"? 

I noticed that to.  I am wondering if it has something to do with the licensing rights to LOTR movies, vs. the Hobbit.  He also is not mentioned by name in the instructions either.  

The last question at the end of the video : "NO COMMENT" on whether there will be new LOTR sets. They would love it though. Who really decides on this kind of possibility at LEGO?

1 hour ago, Khargeust said:

The last question at the end of the video : "NO COMMENT" on whether there will be new LOTR sets. They would love it though. Who really decides on this kind of possibility at LEGO?

Probably a variety of factors: anticipated sales and interest, does it fit within current product objectives, can it be accommodated within the planned portfolio (similar to the previous point). 

6 hours ago, Lordhelmet said:

I noticed that to.  I am wondering if it has something to do with the licensing rights to LOTR movies, vs. the Hobbit.  He also is not mentioned by name in the instructions either.  

As far as I know, his appearance wasn't credited in the film either. Only fans of the book surmised that he must be Gloin. Otherwise he was just an unnamed white-bearded Dwarf who arrived with Gimli and sat at the counsel.  

1 hour ago, Shroffy123 said:

In the book it's only gimli and gloin that travel to rivendell. 

In the book Glorfindel and Bilbo are also present at the Council. So there are some differences between the books and movies, and the Lego set is based on the movie. Which is probably why they can’t call the dwarf Glóin.

On 3/7/2023 at 8:50 AM, th0r1n said:

When logged into the Lego [UK] website, the Rivendell set is now on 'back order'. When logged out, still says 'coming soon'. So, there's that. :shrug_confused:

My set purchased midnight Sunday, still not dispatched.

Bought from the US web site. Ordered a day prior to it going on 'backorder.' It has been two or three days for me and it is also not dispatched. I just received an email from Lego stating that my order is confirmed and cannot be canceled anymore. It mentions that they are dealing a large number of orders. I wonder how much of these are actual Rivendell sets or other sets that went online March 1.

10 hours ago, McMurder_them_softly said:

Anyone notice in the brick fanatics interview, the designers say the white haired dwarf is "definitely not Gloin"? 

It's assumably just them being cheeky, since as others have said, he wasn't credited as Gloin in the film.

On 3/7/2023 at 1:48 PM, th0r1n said:

As always, a fantastic review. The comments made towards the end of the video were a bit of a downer though. The suggestion that this is probably all we’re getting in the LOTR theme. ☹️

I think to a good extent, Lego is trying to ride on the wave of Rings of Power, or at least how much it references the LOTR/ Hobbit movies. I can't imagine Lego missing out on the opportunity as ROP continues with its other seasons.

So i am around bag 20 and so far i am enjoying it very much. Definitely my kind of build, not too many stickers (for the size of the set) and limited use of technic. :D Add LOTR theme on top and it's almost perfect.

5 hours ago, Mr. Cube said:

It was "confirmed" by LOTR TCG, if we consider it canon.

Yes - that card game also names many of the participants at the Council of Elrond and has entries for characters like Tom Bombadil and Erkenbrand who did not make it into the films, as well as naming members at the Council of Elrond - some real like Erestor and Galdor and some fiction like a man from Lake Town and another from Dale . 

I think that while haired Dwarf was also portrayed by John Rhys Davies but not completely sure. 

Anyway, I don't think the card game is canon at all, but that design for Gloin has been used in the video game War in the North... 

jason-kim-gloin-in-game.jpg?1494600094

... as well as Lego's own LOTR game:

Screenshot_20230309-155631~2

Edited by Seaber

13 hours ago, hikouki said:

Bought from the US web site. Ordered a day prior to it going on 'backorder.' It has been two or three days for me and it is also not dispatched. I just received an email from Lego stating that my order is confirmed and cannot be canceled anymore. It mentions that they are dealing a large number of orders. I wonder how much of these are actual Rivendell sets or other sets that went online March 1.

I ordered midnight Sunday [UK Lego], so as soon as it became VIP available. It's now Thursday and it's still not been dispatched. Phoned Lego today and they can't tell me when it's likely to leave the warehouse. Said they've been inundated with new orders. Not sure how much of that relates to the Rivendell set. Or if it's just down to the usual issues with Lego online. They're pretty hopeless tbh.

Edited by th0r1n
spelling

23 minutes ago, th0r1n said:

I ordered midnight Sunday [UK Lego], so as soon as it became VIP available. It's now Thursday and it's still not been dispatched. Phoned Lego today and they can't tell me when it's likely to leave the warehouse. Said they've been inundated with new orders. Not sure how much of that relates to the Rivendell set. Or if it's just down to the usual issues with Lego online. They're pretty hopeless tbh.

That's the reason why I didn't want to purchase it online. I assumed it would take weeks to arrive. On the US site, the set is backorder with estimated delivery on March 23. 

I ordered mine online immediately it became available. Received it on Tuesday and today I just finished building it. Guess I was the lucky one. Anyway my original plan where to display it didn't work out so currently it's just sitting next to the TV. Thinking about getting some display case for it in the future.

Regarding the building experience, not a big fan of the chairs. The design is nice but the build not so much + don't like the figures are not attached to them at all. So you just look at them wrong and all the minifigs go flying immidiately.

iJoTH2.jpg

Edited by sahidko

38 minutes ago, sahidko said:

I ordered mine online immediately it became available. Received it on Tuesday and today I just finished building it. Guess I was the lucky one. Anyway my original plan where to display it didn't work out so currently it's just sitting next to the TV. Thinking about getting some display case for it in the future.

Regarding the building experience, not a big fan of the chairs. The design is nice but the build not so much + don't like the figures are not attached to them at all. So you just look at them wrong and all the minifigs go flying immidiately.

iJoTH2.jpg

Could you replace the 2 x 2 tile with a 2 x 2 plate. Would the minifigs be able to sit fixed to the chair then maybe? 

Sure this is very easy to fix however I would have preferred the actual design to take that into account. Overall the whole chair thing was just pain to put together for me personally.

Just noticed this one in a Harry Potter Lego group on Facebook .. it caught my attention straight away .. a microscale Rivendell by the talented Chris Tromans .. it’s not up on his rebrickable yet, but I imagine it soon will be.

Edited by Jarreth2