Momotof

Lord of the Rings Ongoing Discussion

Wow that map sticker is way off. Even with the not to scaleness of the map Orthanc is just in the wrong spot. Barad-dûr should be where Orthanc is (not in the far east of Mordor) and Orthanc should be far left of Minas Tirith and up a bit. Also it's a bit odd why there's a map in Rivendell of the interior of Mordor (although it's been a while since I read the books so maybe there's an explanation for that one).

That said it's a beautiful set with an enormous amount of detail, and absolutely out of my price range.

12 hours ago, Khargeust said:

In this video interview with some of the designers of the Rivendell set, there is something interesting about the absence of Gimli's double battle axe. Indeed at the end they are asked if they regret not having included an element. The issue of Gimli's weapon is discussed, as it is not present in the set for various reasons, including whether he already has it or not at this stage of the adventure. 

Gimli carries five axes over the films, up until Moria it is only four, then as you say he picks up his double headed Axe in Balin's Tomb. 

His walking axe is the one included in the Rivendell set and has been done very well. 

The other three axes are less interesting. Two are throwing axes so are quite small (2-3 studs long would be about right) and his utility axe which looks quite like a Rohan axe, so if we ever got a new element for that, it could be reused for Gimli. 

Edited by Seaber

11 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I believe he’s referring to the one map that shows two arrows. One goes right and one goes left towards the image of Barad-Dûr. It’s supposed to be a reference to the extended scene where Frodo says “Mordor, Gandalf. Is it left or right?” And Gandalf replies “left”

Yeah that is my thought as well for the second easter egg. The first being the prop which was never shown in the films. Gold compass / astrolabe / sextant looking thing with a stand. 

Edited by McMurder_them_softly

24 minutes ago, McMurder_them_softly said:

Yeah that is my thought as well for the second easter egg. The first being the prop which was never shown in the films. Gold compass / astrolabe / sextant looking thing with a stand. 

C2DFE7E6-9AB7-4524-87BD-25EF97C9E86A

I think it’s supposed to be this device on the left. Pretty sure this is a BTS image

wow, I have never seen that behind the scenes image before, makes me like the lego set that much more.  the floor plus the layout.  I never paid much attention to the Rivendell details in the movies (other than what stands out like the gazebo, bridge, waterfall, etc.)

Also I liked in the design interview that they mentioned there was a microscale at one point early in the design process. I am happy they moved to this but thought it was interesting that microscale was discussed given how much we discussed that possibility.  I hope they keep up the playscale/minifigscale for future sets.

Edited by Lordhelmet

18 minutes ago, Lordhelmet said:

wow, I have never seen that behind the scenes image before, makes me like the lego set that much more.  the floor plus the layout.  I never paid much attention to the Rivendell details in the movies (other than what stands out like the gazebo, bridge, waterfall, etc.)

Also I liked in the design interview that they mentioned there was a microscale at one point early in the design process. I am happy they moved to this but thought it was interesting that microscale was discussed given how much we discussed that possibility.  I hope they keep up the playscale/minifigscale for future sets.

Yes! I found that very interesting as well although not surprising. I’m very happy they ended up deciding on a minifig scale set and I think the sales will reflect that

4 hours ago, Lordhelmet said:

Researching the design inspirations for this set have really helped me finally figure out the layout of Rivendell. There are three main components that make up Rivendell in the film-- The Bigature model used for wide shots and backgrounds, the outdoor filming set built at Kaitoke Regional Park, and indoor studio filming set (rebuilt for the first Hobbit film).

All three share the same design elements, but there's not a ton of consistency around which parts are represented where. 

The LEGO set is basically an extremely faithful recreation of the indoor filming set, which in real life was made up of Elrond's library, the museum upstairs with Narsil and the murals, the building on the right with the golden instrument, and an "outdoor" section made up of the counsel circle, the little bridge that Arwen and Aragorn stand on and the blacksmith forge. The LEGO set's rotunda is based on the one from the Bigature, although there was one made for the outdoor set at Kaitoke.  Frodo's bedroom is based off a section of the outdoor Kaitoke set. 

This video from the DVD shows the designing of the outdoor and indoor sets. 

Edited by Ferder

Well, well, Variety is reporting that Warner Bros is talking about new LOTR movies - Lord of the Rings New Movies Set at Warner Bros - Variety

As with all of these things, you have no idea whether it's ever going to amount to anything, but the money involved in their previous films, and how much Amazon is pumping into it, suggests that they think there is value in producing content. And LEGO has the relationship with Warner Bros for sets (and probably not with Amazon, yet), so it might lead to more LOTR sets in the future (although these films, if they ever happen, could be ten years away still).

52 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

Well, well, Variety is reporting that Warner Bros is talking about new LOTR movies - Lord of the Rings New Movies Set at Warner Bros - Variety

As with all of these things, you have no idea whether it's ever going to amount to anything, but the money involved in their previous films, and how much Amazon is pumping into it, suggests that they think there is value in producing content. And LEGO has the relationship with Warner Bros for sets (and probably not with Amazon, yet), so it might lead to more LOTR sets in the future (although these films, if they ever happen, could be ten years away still).

I saw Nerd of the Rings post a video with that.  I think this combined with rings of power really increases the chances of a full LOTR return.  Great news!

2 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

I think there are already projects in the works and they said they have been in touch with Peter Jackson.  With all that I hope LOTR sets keep coming and we get some sets from upcoming movies.  

4 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

Well I think this probably means we’re getting a full-time return for LOTR at some point in the near future. Since if they’ll bring back sets from old Indiana Jones movies to go along with a single final movie, they’d definitely be able to sell a bunch of LOTR sets to go with movies coming down the line. 
But yeah, since the movies are still a ways away, the theme might not hit full stride for another 3-4 years or more. 

3 hours ago, zoth33 said:

Peter Jackson

After the Hobbit Trilogy, I am not sure if this is a good or a bad thing.. 

7 hours ago, LegoAUT said:

After the Hobbit Trilogy, I am not sure if this is a good or a bad thing.. 

A big reason the hobbit movies were so bad was because they didn't give Peter Jackson any time to write a good screenplay or prepare, so the writing and filming had to happen at the same time and they had to go with quicker and easier cgi rather than prosthetics and full sets. 

Edited by JimBaggins

42 minutes ago, JimBaggins said:

The main reason the hobbit movies were so bad was because they didn't give Peter Jackson any time to write a good screenplay or prepare, so the writing and filming had to happen at the same time and they had to go with quicker and easier cgi rather than prosthetics and full sets. 

Or the fact they made 3 long movies from one little book when it should have been 1 :hmpf:

42 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

Or the fact they made 3 long movies from one little book when it should have been 1 :hmpf:

The Hobbit should have been done in two films, one isn't long enough. 

The Return of the King would have benefitted from being split in two, despite being brilliant as it is. 

More LOTR stuff (ROP, Rohirrim, new films, the Gollum video game) can only be good news for Lego - keeping the franchise front and centre will hopefully increase more copies of Rivendell being sold and then further sets being developed. 

7 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

I still think they could make a scouring of the shire movie. Replace Frodo with Rosie as he's already gone to the undying lands and Sharkey wouldn't be Saruman (though I'm not sure who'd be a good replacement) and we can have our four main hobbits go on a little adventure, to see the others in Rivendell or something and then come back to the shire being devastated and then have to unite the hobbits against Sharkey using the skills they learned from their adventures to save Thier home.

A children of Hurin duology would be good also though I'm not how I'd want them to approach the incest, avoiding entirely removes some of the tragedy of Turin but I kind of want them to remove it anyway, it'd only lead to GoT comparisons anyway despite being entirely different.

I‘m fine with what Amazon and WB are doing, as long as no remakes are involved in either party‘s plans. There are plenty of other ME stories to adapt, just leave LOTR alone :tongue:

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I‘m fine with what Amazon and WB are doing, as long as no remakes are involved in either party‘s plans. There are plenty of other ME stories to adapt, just leave LOTR alone :tongue:

I wouldn't want a live action remake but if it was animated it could more distinctly different and they could include all the details from the books missed in the films, like Tom Bombadil, Radaghast in fellowship ( as in in the first book not in the fellowship itself), the barrow wights, Fatty Bolger, Nob, the scouring of the Shire, Sharkey, Crick hollow, Quickbeam, Gloins's tale to Frodo, Eowyn and Faramir plotline, etc.

Edited by Agent Kallus

3 hours ago, Roebuck said:

This was one of the many studio mandated things that Jackson was forced to do. The love triangle also. He didn’t have a say in those things

15 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

This was one of the many studio mandated things that Jackson was forced to do. The love triangle also. He didn’t have a say in those things

Well then he should have declined, but to blame it all on the studio is absurd. Jackson loved the outcome and during the play there were making-ofs where he was super excited etc. It‘s an okay movie but nothing more. 

Also I believe CGI is more expensive and takes longer than prostetics.. plus, they HAD prostetics, just not for the main villain characters.

14 minutes ago, LegoAUT said:

Well then he should have declined, but to blame it all on the studio is absurd. Jackson loved the outcome and during the play there were making-ofs where he was super excited etc. It‘s an okay movie but nothing more. 

I enjoyed watching The Hobbit movies. And I also enjoyed The Hobbit LEGO sets. I also enjoyed watching The Rings of Power. For me, LOTR > The Hobbit > ROP > the 1977/78/80 animations. But I am glad all exist. I'd prefer them to exist than not exist.

If we get something new to do with LOTR it would be nice to see something with the Blue Wizards.  There's a lot to be said about them and what they were doing during the events of LOTR.  I believe they were somewhere in the East. 

Hi everyone, in case this belongs to another forum then please disregard, I am curious what Rivendell is worth to you? I am not talking money but how do you rate it compared to other lego sets you own or wish to buy? I am into modulars but don’t love the Jazz Club such that I am considering skipping it and selling an old bnib modular I have to cover the cost of Rivendell.

Actual or hypothetical lego maths: what set would you trade or deprioritize to get this one?