Momotof

Lord of the Rings Ongoing Discussion

22 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

At least it means that sites like Rakuten will give you full cashback, and not the much smaller amounts for Exclusive sets. They often have bonuses of 10% cashback on LEGO and recently it went up to 20%.

So sad that this is not available for European customers :( 

2 hours ago, LegoAUT said:

So sad that this is not available for European customers :( 

Do you have anything similar? The UK has Quidco, for example.

4 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

Do you have anything similar? The UK has Quidco, for example.

Not that I am aware of (for Austria at least). I have researched though, just did not find any cashback option for Lego purchases. 

Reporting from my one lego store (again) and to keep the thread alive: not only is Rivendell no longer displayed… but they have no boxes left either. Wouldn’t make sense for it to be the one big set kept off the shelves so could be it has proven popular enough to sell out (which is a rare occurrence at this particular store).

Yesterday, the first Shop in Germany had the set listed for 440€.

Today, another Shop for 435€.

So it doesn`t seem that far fetched to get the Set for around 400€ in the near future. That is the time where I buy it in an instant!

Amazon uk now has Rivendell in stock for £429.99 - same price I know but some people can get money off buying it this way

Amazon shows the number of items sold in the last month under some of its listings.

• Disney 100 CMF six packs - 9000
  • Up House - 6000
  • Speed Champions GT-R - 3000
  • Indiana Jones Temple - 700
  • Rivendell - 100

Although for things released at the same time (so only a week and bit of sales data):

• Rivendell - 100
  • Friends Botanical Garden - 300 (Backordered on LEGO.com)
  • Jurassic Park Brachiosaurus - 400

Not quite sure what to make of it. If the data is even accurate. But it feels like a decent showing for a set that is 6x more expensive than other newly released sets (and has been available from LEGO directly for a while). But it compares poorly to some others, albeit at a generally lower price point and having a full month of sales.

Picked up my copy of rivendell online today. Double VIP, spring parts pack, pirate ship playground and a fleece blanket as bonuses. That's a pretty decent haul. Those fleece blankets are actually really nice.

2 hours ago, Lion King said:

So…..no new LOTR sets after Rivendell this year?

Did anyone really expect anything else? They even said that they will analyse the sales of Rivendell to assess whether further LOTR sets will actually be produced. 

I am a big LOTR-fan but currently I just cannot justify spending 500€ (or 450 if you take double VIP into account) on this set. I can easily afford it, I just think the price is crazy.. I will get it at some point for sure, but I don‘t feel the urgency anymore. It is really beautiful, however, I must admit that I expected a little more.. 

Even with double VIP Points it is still 500€ - you only get 50€ discount on your next purchase. ;)

Im so tempted to buy the set for 440€ in germany, but I will wait a little bit longer.^^

8 minutes ago, neithan said:

Even with double VIP Points it is still 500€ - you only get 50€ discount on your next purchase. ;)

I know ;) still, if you buy directly from them every now and then you could almost treat it like a discount. 

for those of us still on the fence, hitching to pull the trigger during 2x VIP though the price would still be sky high... there is a guy on ytb who elevated the set (literally and figuratively) by adding rock work and expanding the waterfall... it makes a massive impact. He did not change the set at all, but I now realise its one "flaw" is how flat it is vs. landscape of the lore. I already felt it was the most beautiful set I had seen but what this guy has turned into is a work of arts. Just when I thought I might resist temptation, balking at the price, this sends me back to square one: longing for Rivendell even more!

7 hours ago, LegoAUT said:

Did anyone really expect anything else? They even said that they will analyse the sales of Rivendell to assess whether further LOTR sets will actually be produced. 

I am a big LOTR-fan but currently I just cannot justify spending 500€ (or 450 if you take double VIP into account) on this set. I can easily afford it, I just think the price is crazy.. I will get it at some point for sure, but I don‘t feel the urgency anymore. It is really beautiful, however, I must admit that I expected a little more.. 

I mean, I would love to see some LOTR smaller sets, rather than a big one like Rivendell. That’s why I kinda hope to see some smaller sets some days but i guess I’m wrong. 

Well I did my part by ordering one yesterday with 2x VIP points & all 3 GWP's.  I had all the GWP's already but more bricks is always a good thing & the blankets are really nice.

On 6/8/2023 at 9:43 AM, neithan said:

Yesterday, the first Shop in Germany had the set listed for 440€.

Today, another Shop for 435€.

So it doesn`t seem that far fetched to get the Set for around 400€ in the near future. That is the time where I buy it in an instant!

I just saw that and came here to discuss it! That means it's not an Amazon exclusive! Hurray!!!

I'm also holding out for 400€. Gonna put aside 200 this month and 200 next month.

But even when finally I buy it I'm not gonna build it, because 1. I have no space for it right now, and 2. I'm still gonna hold out hope they're gonna release the Fellowship in smaller sets. Gonna sit on it ~3 years, and if it still hasn't happened by then, I'm gonna have to put up a new shelf.

If we do not get any more LOTR sets (next year) I will buy a second Rivendell to keep in a box for replacement parts if ever needed.  

Would everyone be happy if we got a Indiana Jones style release (2 play sets and 1 diorama) next year or prefer one UCS style set?  I would like both (and more than that) but if I had to choose it would be the three sets.

What would everyone want if the playlets/diorama were at the same piece count and minifigure count (I am assuming they would cost more so lets stick to the piece count/minifigure count).

For Reference the Piece count and Minifigure Counts are below.

1545 pieces / 4 minifigs (Diorama)

600 pieces / 4 minifigs (Play set)

387 pieces / 3 minifigs (Play set)

16 hours ago, Lordhelmet said:

Personally all I really need is Boromir with Dual moulded printed arms and Faramir. Did the Rest as customs, but I can't print metal colours :/

The smartest Play set would of course be Witchking vs. Eowyn for 50€ including a well made Fellbeast. Collectors/Nerds would buy it, kids would like the evil guy even if they don't know lotr. Add a horse and it will do even better.

A smaller playset could be Gandalf vs. Balrog

The ultimate UCS would be bag end with the complete fellowship of Thorin updated with printed medium legs (Bilbo with Dual moulded dark ran short legs) and a few weapon moulds (Orcrist, Balins axe-sword, Fili's swords...)

I'll get everything about dwarf. Mines of Moria, Erebor.

Edited by Gorilla94

I’d love nothing more than that Eye of Sauron set. So I’m hoping that the leaked set becomes reality!

I do however agree that I would like to see smaller sets as well. Collecting Lego has always been an expensive hobby but the increased focus on 200+ euro sets is really making it impossible for me. I always preferred the 50-120 euro sets.

I don't see the point of a few small sets. If they are going to do small sets, then they need a full range covering different characters and scenes.

On 6/21/2023 at 3:58 AM, MAB said:

I don't see the point of a few small sets. If they are going to do small sets, then they need a full range covering different characters and scenes.

If you don’t think they wud produce any regular (not D2C) sets, then i guess they would not do anything for LOTR theme for several years again.  In other, they would retire Rivendell and those BrickHeadz sets in a few years from now then the theme is dead again. 

Edited by Lion King

3 hours ago, Lion King said:

If you don’t think they wud produce any regular (not D2C) sets, then i guess they would not do anything for LOTR theme for several years again.  In other, they would retire Rivendell and those BrickHeadz sets in a few years from now then the theme is dead again. 

LEGO seems to have mostly done LOTR because there were 3 new Hobbit movies made.

Also Harry Potter was not around during that time 2012-2014.

I don't expect a remake of LOTR sets while Harry Potter is around, while very different franchises, Rings of Power wasn't exactly the big hit, and I think Harry Potter has 4 out of 8 movies, suited for younger children to begin with.

Rivendell being a big D2C makes sense with it being part of both Movie Trilogies.

Also if LEGO Lord of the Rings would get a full reboot, it would require more then just 1 wave of sets to justify it.

But even in-house themes like Castle, Space, and Pirates (after 2015 retired), are currently pretty much dependant on a larger set every once in a while.

Especially after 2020, LEGO has been in quite a dry spell of new themes, Hidden Side had suddenly ended by 2020, Vidiyo wasn't a big hit, Monkie Kid was a succes in China, but mixed results in US/Europe partly due to full prices, and now the next experiment is going to be Dreamzzz.

Of course, it's too early to know what success the Rivendell set will bring along, but it'll probably be a few years if anything comes from that beside the other rumoured Barad Dur.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 6/20/2023 at 11:51 PM, Lordhelmet said:

If we do not get any more LOTR sets (next year) I will buy a second Rivendell to keep in a box for replacement parts if ever needed.  

Would everyone be happy if we got a Indiana Jones style release (2 play sets and 1 diorama) next year or prefer one UCS style set?  I would like both (and more than that) but if I had to choose it would be the three sets.

What would everyone want if the playlets/diorama were at the same piece count and minifigure count (I am assuming they would cost more so lets stick to the piece count/minifigure count).

For Reference the Piece count and Minifigure Counts are below.

One large UCS set in addition to two smaller dioramas per year would be the ideal scenario for me. The line should definitely stay targeted at adult collectors with display models rather than playsets aimed for kids.