Caffeine

What's your ethnicity?

100% Cypriot!! ( you know...the small island in the east corner of the mediterranean)

Most Dutch have somewhere in their ancestry a foreigner......scandinavian(vikings),

:-D :-D :-D

In your face, cap'n Green Hair!! >:-)

What's your ethnicity/descent?

I'm 50% Chinese, 25% French Canadian, and unknown percentages of Norwegian, Austrian, German, and other who-knows-where's in Europe. I'll find out eventually. X-D

I'm curious; how exactly is "French Canadian" any different from just plain old "French"?

As for me; my family tree is all English which means very little given that Britian has been invaded and settled by so many different peoples. If anybody asks me my background I insist that I am Canadian and only Canadian. Anything beyond that is irrelevant. When it comes down to it, there has been too much migration to really pin down one's ethnicity to a single nation.

I'm curious; how exactly is "French Canadian" any different from just plain old "French"?

French Canadians have an accent that is more like half British and half French, and all French Canadians are born obsessed with ice hockey. :-D

I'm 50% Italian, about 30% Jewish (Yes, I consider it a nationality. :-P ), and the rest is a mix between Ukrainian, Russian, etc. *wacko*

Odd question.

I'm Danish, born in Denmark and speak Danish.

Is it me or is it typical American to think about this? Who cares if Your grandfather was German*. Heck I'm destined to have some Spanish blood in my family. But I really don't care at all. The question might as well have been "How many vocals are in Your name?" (33 1/3% for me). - It really doesn't matter, does it? :-|

* No offense meant. I've got several German friends.

Kim T

French Canadians have an accent that is more like half British and half French, and all French Canadians are born obsessed with ice hockey. :-D

WRONG!

ALL Canadians are born obsessed with Hockey :-D !

But if all Canadians are obsessed with hockey, then since French Canadians are a subset of Canadians, all French Canadians would logically be obsessed with hockey. So, blueandwhite, you just proved Caffeine RIGHT.

(Although I'm sure there are some Canadians who are not obsessed with hockey. I've known many Canadians who wouldn't really care about it at all.)

But if all Canadians are obsessed with hockey, then since French Canadians are a subset of Canadians, all French Canadians would logically be obsessed with hockey. So, blueandwhite, you just proved Caffeine RIGHT.

(Although I'm sure there are some Canadians who are not obsessed with hockey. I've known many Canadians who wouldn't really care about it at all.)

Don't you be bringing logic into my silliness :-P .

I'm bits of everything. I know for sure I'm 1/8th Irish and 1/8th Scottish. Apparently I've got some Italian, and halfa dozen other things. X-D To me, I'm New Zealander. :-D

~Peace

100% Ozy mate *y* hmm mayby 75% though because my dad's great great great uncle came to Australia on the 1st fleet so about 75% Ozy and 25% english or various places from the UK.

Probable 99% FINNISH (yes Finland) and maybe 1% Aussie X-D

(I was born in Australia)

Apparently my Ancestors were Vikings.... >:-) 8-�

Edited by Darth_Legois_619

48 + 1 + 1 + 25 + 25 = 100

YH = 100 + X = 100%

100% = 100

This equation is impossible *wacko* Conclusion: You're not american at all! :-P

But that means...not American?... But what about.... or.... DOES NOT COMPUTE! *wacko* [head explodes] *wacko*

U_T

about 30% Jewish (Yes, I consider it a nationality. :-P )

in that case, i am 50% Canadian and 50% Jewish

@ Captain Greenhair and Wouwie:

Most Dutch have somewhere in their ancestry a foreigner. (german, flemmish, walon, french, spanish, scandinavian(vikings), suriname, italy, indonesia, turkey(not the chicken), marokko, china, etc.) Not this sort foreigner *alien* ;-)

Especially when your live in Amsterdam, Rotterdam of Den Haag.

But i don't live in Amsterdam, Rotterdam of Den Haag :-D

OH TEH NOES!! So many ethnicities! I take everything back. I am 100% human and I will stay at that.

I'm still very confused by this whole thread. I mean, are nationalities (particularly countries that are largely colonial like Australia, Canada, the US and New Zealand) actually ethnicities to begin with? I know that there are some nations that are defined by their ethnicity (Japan, China etc.), but how does this apply to nations where the overwhelming majority of citizens are recent immigrants? Heck, even English is hard to define given that Britian itself is very multi-cultural.

Is a person of Indian or Chinese ethnicity born in England also ethnically English? I'd argue that they are more English than I could ever be, despite my ancestory. In multi-cultural nations, the notion of ethnicity comes across as a bit difficult to define. It's an interesting topic, but I find that it's very confusing given that what constitutes ethnicity doesn't seem to have a clear definition.

1/2Norwegian

1/4 Polish

1/4 some othert random countries

Okay, I may not remember 1/4 of my Haratage, but now we're living in the USA, and I consider my self an American

Is it me or is it typical American to think about this?

You are 100% Danish and 100% correct. This is a very typical American topic of conversation. I notice it usually stems when someone learns your last name. There are many different surnames here and no one knows how to pronounce anything so they search for the source once they learn how to pronounce it. "That's an interesting last name. Where is it from?" and the fascinating discussion ensues from there.

Also, I'm confused by these younger members telling us they're some percent American. Do you mean native or has that part of your family been in the states so long that it's not worth naming the eight different nationalities that produced that side of the family?