The Kid

New Skin/Background!

Credits for the skins go to Brickminer for the iniitial design and Hinckley for the new ones who spent a lot of time deisgning them.

Credits for the installation go to Bonaparte who spent his whole sunday working on the switch, aswell as Hinckley, with some appreances or your servitor.

Credits for the intial idea for a switch go to Hobbes, who also sponsored the new board version (€€€)

Credits for the "screw it, let's rent a new server" go to me (€€€)

Credits for general geekness go to us all.

Credits for the constant support go to the EB staf mods who gave constant valuable insights. A special thanks to Tomas, who created Eurobricks with me.

OK, even though I'm still recovering from not being able to access eurobricks for nearly 24 hours :-X I'm gonna tell you what I think! ;-)

On the first look it seems pretty good: I love the new banner, and the background, although being a little distracting, looks very nice as well! Also, the dark color of the topic bars is interesting; it makes the whole page look more serious, reinforcing the fact that this is a website for adult fans of lego. I'm not sure if that's a good thing, though, since, even though we are adults, lego is our hobby, and this seriousness kinda takes the fun out of it. :-(

And this is where the negative changes begin. Even though the new EB banner is lovely, its link now takes you to the frontpage instead of the forums, rendering the "Eurobricks Frontpage" link below it pointless. :-( I always liked the fact that I could just click somewhere on the big banner to get to the forums, but now I need to seek the small "Forums" word on the left side for that.

Other than what is mentioned above, I can't really see any changes in the forums, but I do have some concerns about the reply page (the one you use to post something)! First of all, I'm not satisfied with any of the changes made to the emoticons! >:-( Not only are theynot showing right in most of the forums at the moment, but they are also marked when you insert them by clicking on them in the list on the side, so that they disappear right away as soon as you continue typing! And that emoticon list is now shortened to make room for an unnecessary Quick Access list, so that you need to click through them with 'next' & 'previous' buttons or open up the complete list in a new window by clicking the "Show All" link. |-/ In my opinion it would be better if it was the way it was before; it's easy enough to select Special Items from the pop-up menu above the text window, so that there is no need for Quick Access lists. It's easier than having to select emoticons from a remote window anyway. So, fix it! ;-)

As for the layout, I think that too many elements recieved the blue-white gradient coloring. Those elements that contein text, like font option buttons, should only have one bright fill color, like they did before, as they create contrast issues. I have very bad vision, and things like that make it harder than usual for me to read stuff. And about the green background... Although green is my favorite color, I think it is inappopriate here. Not only does is it a "serious" kind of green, but it also doesn't fit into the blue white color scheme somehow. The only thing I like about the changes to the reply compose page is the attachments part below the text window. I'm not sure if it was there before, but even if it was, it is much more noticable and looks better now! ;-)

I'm sorry, but overall, I don't like most of the changes so far. I hope that you will consider the things I listed and fix most of them (especially the emoticon part).

Sincerly,

A concerned, shortsighted EB member ;-)

You've officialy scorred as my new pain in the megablocks.

thanks admin *y* great job, personelly i like all the new details and banners, they used to be a bit plain but i didnt really care, once again good job *sweet*

You've officialy scorred as my new pain in the megablocks.

8-� What? Why? :'-( I was just giving some honest, constructive criticism! As I said, I'm sorry, but I just liked it better the way it was before. You wanted to know what I think and I told you. is that bad? :-(

Sniff! :'-( Why does everybody hate me so? I'm just trying to be a good EBer but I always end up pissing off an admin. Really, I don't want to be a pain in your megablocks! What do I do wrong? How can I change?

Btw, I just saw the Theatre and it looks great! Pretty sweet banners & backgrounds & stuff! *sweet*

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

Sniff! :'-( Why does everybody hate me so? I'm just trying to be a good EBer but I always end up pissing off an admin. Really, I don't want to be a pain in your megablocks! What do I do wrong? How can I change?

Two words: Lighten up. :-|

New Look and New Attitude On! *y*

Eeh it's nice but my computer un logs me from the site when it automaticly opens a new window. *wacko*

But otherwise it's good. *sweet*

Dr. Brick

Call me dim, but can you elaborate on this, please.

I think he was saying that since the forum was sitting at http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/, but most people were logging in through the main page at http://eurobricks.com/forum/, the cookie wasn't carrying over (a cookie set on one site not working on another).

Since diligent effort has been made to make the forum now register as part of the main site, http://eurobricks.com/forum/, that problem should be fixed. *y*

Like it's been said before, there will be little issues, but they're being worked on things are already coming together nicely.

It's a good time to sit back, relax with some bricks, and wait for everything to fall into place, as opposed to trying to adjust to each minor change as it happens.

I'm sorry, but overall, I don't like most of the changes so far. I hope that you will consider the things I listed and fix most of them (especially the emoticon part).
Remember that this board is just software and some things are changed by the developer that we have no control over.
Nobody said that they hated you...
Call me dim, but can you elaborate on this, please.
I think he was saying that since the forum was sitting at http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/, but most people were logging in through the main page at http://eurobricks.com/forum/, the cookie wasn't carrying over (a cookie set on one site not working on another).

Yes, that's what I was saying. Thanks for fielding my question again. I should make you my deputy... X-D

Pros :

New banner

New background

New buttons

Cons :

Pages are slow to load

I agree with Trudop.

Very slow to load, and sometimes the quote button works, other times it does not., Love the new banner.

OK, even though I'm still recovering from not being able to access eurobricks for nearly 24 hours :-X I'm gonna tell you what I think! ;-)

On the first look it seems pretty good: I love the new banner, and the background, although being a little distracting, looks very nice as well! Also, the dark color of the topic bars is interesting; it makes the whole page look more serious, reinforcing the fact that this is a website for adult fans of lego. I'm not sure if that's a good thing, though, since, even though we are adults, lego is our hobby, and this seriousness kinda takes the fun out of it. :-(

And this is where the negative changes begin. Even though the new EB banner is lovely, its link now takes you to the frontpage instead of the forums, rendering the "Eurobricks Frontpage" link below it pointless. :-( I always liked the fact that I could just click somewhere on the big banner to get to the forums, but now I need to seek the small "Forums" word on the left side for that.

Other than what is mentioned above, I can't really see any changes in the forums, but I do have some concerns about the reply page (the one you use to post something)! First of all, I'm not satisfied with any of the changes made to the emoticons! >:-( Not only are theynot showing right in most of the forums at the moment, but they are also marked when you insert them by clicking on them in the list on the side, so that they disappear right away as soon as you continue typing! And that emoticon list is now shortened to make room for an unnecessary Quick Access list, so that you need to click through them with 'next' & 'previous' buttons or open up the complete list in a new window by clicking the "Show All" link. |-/ In my opinion it would be better if it was the way it was before; it's easy enough to select Special Items from the pop-up menu above the text window, so that there is no need for Quick Access lists. It's easier than having to select emoticons from a remote window anyway. So, fix it! ;-)

As for the layout, I think that too many elements recieved the blue-white gradient coloring. Those elements that contein text, like font option buttons, should only have one bright fill color, like they did before, as they create contrast issues. I have very bad vision, and things like that make it harder than usual for me to read stuff. And about the green background... Although green is my favorite color, I think it is inappopriate here. Not only does is it a "serious" kind of green, but it also doesn't fit into the blue white color scheme somehow. The only thing I like about the changes to the reply compose page is the attachments part below the text window. I'm not sure if it was there before, but even if it was, it is much more noticable and looks better now! ;-)

Sincerly,

A concerned, shortsighted EB member ;-)

You've officialy scorred as my new friend.

8-� What? Why? :'-( I was just giving some honest, constructive criticism! As I said, I'm sorry, but I just liked it better the way it was before. You wanted to know what I think and I told you. is that bad? :-(

Btw, I just saw the Theatre and it looks great! Pretty sweet banners & backgrounds & stuff! *sweet*

You have NO need to apologize. It's not your fault if someone has a bug up their megablocks and can't take honest opinions X-D I think it's great, and correct. This background reminds me of the lego.com forums for some reason...

Sorry guys, but I don't like it *sweet*

It's killed all the links on Classic-Pirates...

And I can't really see what was wrong with the original...

And now there are lots of annoying things like: :- D everywhere, as the smilies have nearly died out too...

And my avatar reset and I couldn't upload my current one off my computer for some reason, and so I had to BS it...

Sorry, my two cents :-$

Edited by SlyOwl

I quite like the new look. The background has a pleasant "child's playroom" feel to it, which is nice. And the colors chosen for the forums are nice and easy on the eyes, very nice. And as I've just noticed, I like the new reply box with drop-down menus, too.

Congrats on a well done job, guys. :-) *y*

Sorry guys, but I don't like it *sweet*

It's killed all the links on Classic-Pirates...

And I can't really see what was wrong with the original...

And now there are lots of annoying things like: :- D everywhere, as the smilies have nearly died out too...

And my avatar reset and I couldn't upload my current one off my computer for some reason, and so I had to BS it...

Sorry, my two cents :-$

I still love you!

BTW, I'm uploading the old avatars now. Sorry about that. Something I missed. It's hard to catch everything! :-$

The pain in the megablocks comment was of course second degree. As for the forum being slow, Tom and Hobbes worked on it the whole day and it's finally solved !

Oky Wan Kenobi its no problem *sweet*

You have a right to your right opinion

Agreed. Oky, no worries. Thanks for the feedback. When I revise the skins, I'll take your concerns into consideration. And no one hates you. Don't take it all so seriously. Thanks, buddy. :-)

Well, I don't quite know what to say.

At first glance the new banner is a vast improvement compared to the old one. The new darker colours add a little something I can't put my finger on to the forums. I'd guess seriousness is the best I could describe it.

But that is and remains, for me at least, the positive side of it all.

The new layout, especially the darker colours combined with the new background, make reading or even looking at the screen for that matter, and incredibly fatigueing job. Almost an overflow of info, too much for the eyes, and after a while the brains, to handle. It gives me a headache.

That being said, this is purely commenting on EB as a site. I greatly appreciate the admins spending so much of their own time on doing research and coming up with something everybody likes, or dislikes the least.

So while it's a nice effort you've done ... and don't hate me please for saying so (you after all asked our opinion) ... I feel overall the old look was a tad less stressful.

I for one like the new 'falling bricks' background and the logo! I think jipay did a great job, so congratulations to him for a sucessful move! Also, I notice the board is no longer slow! *y*

I'm a frequent thread reader but a not-so-frequent poster, so it's actually difficult for me to pick out what's changed besides the graphics. Those, though, I definitely do not like. It's personal aesthetic of course, but both the banner and background are way too busy for my taste. There's too much going on, with far too many colors. And really, please– take that as just my viewpoint and not a direct criticism of any EB staff or their talents! I know you all probably put a ton of work into the upgrades and I respect that; I'd just rather be able to read and focus on threads than feel like there's a billion candy-coated bricks falling crazily around me. ;)

Are there still other board themes to choose from (this one, default, etc.)? I could've sworn that option was under "Board Settings" in the My Controls section but can't seem to find it now.

m19

Edited by Morgan19