Waterbrick Down

Heroica RPG - Quest #159: An Unexpected Return

On 9/24/2018 at 4:42 PM, Waterbrick Down said:

26214449057_f7b14609f4_t.jpg
"Depends... what sort of world are you intending to show me this time?"

On 9/25/2018 at 9:33 AM, UsernameMDM said:

"A Whole New World," Hoke says in a sarcastic sing-song voice as he scoops the two diminutives up.

Matthias ignores the bigger man's remark as best he can, looking game but a little green as they load up on Torc. "How about some fireworks?"

On 9/25/2018 at 4:32 PM, Waterbrick Down said:

A few hundred meters out, Dyric spots the trail of well lain gunpowder set out on the beach. With a well aimed shot the assassin launches a flaming arrow which lights the trail snaking throughout the fortress to the well positioned explosives the sailors had quickly deployed. As the Bonaparte ships nearly reach the fort a gigantic fireball engulfs the horizon as wood, stone, and glass is flung sky high. The thunder of the explosion reverberates across the water as the ruins of the fort go up in smoke and a raging inferno.

"Something like that?" he coughs through his airsickness and the smoke.

Once aground, the gnome downs his Hero's Cocktail and prepares to head for the Hall, and the Temple.

13 minutes ago, Lord Duvors said:

"I fully appreciate that- no that's a lie, no-one can fully appreciate the possibility of their own death- but... you're right. You should probably take the time to get any personal stuff you can off your chest." he sighed,* "You have a right to it after all, I suppose. I shouldn't begrudge you a few seconds."

"Lind, why are you looking at me like that? You seem disappointed in me for some reason."

"I don't plan on dying, but...you never know.

Dying in battle with an archdemon, just as I've relieved her of all her other-worldly possessions? As Rogues go out, that's about as heroic as it gets."

He sighed, and thought a moment.

"...I'm not disappointed, Throlar...but frankly, I think you are the best choice for the new Watch Captain - which is why I was frowning.

I would never have thought of you as a candidate for it, but when I saw you pick up that badge, I was happy. Finally, after all of the corruption, it would be led by a leader with strong morals, who never gives up on pursuing those morals, even when people disagree with him - but yet, someone who has a strong sense of law and order, who just as relentlessly tries to do the right thing, whether it benefits him or not.

Honestly...

I think you would make a fine leader of the Watch. And I think you're a better choice than most anyone else who may present themselves."

He shrugged. "Your call...but you have my vote."

Edited by Lind Whisperer

2 minutes ago, Lind Whisperer said:

I think you would make a fine leader of the Watch. And I think you're a better choice than most anyone else who may present themselves."

"I'm pretty sure a Faerie eating archdemon needs to be evicted from this city before we even consider anyone for any position." Karie states. "Now, are we ready to kick this archdemon's or what?"

Just now, Kintobor said:

"Now, are we ready to kick this archdemon's or what?"

"YEAH!" a tiny voice shouts, possibly too loud for the moment.

14 minutes ago, Kintobor said:

"I'm pretty sure a Faerie eating archdemon needs to be evicted from this city before we even consider anyone for any position." Karie states. "Now, are we ready to kick this archdemon's or what?"

"Well, he was about to hand off the Badge to the Detective...it seemed appropriate."

Lind waited to see what the Dwarf had to say. If he wanted to join the Watch, Lind would happily support him - if not, he would still be nominating him for Veteran Knight.

OoC: Wow - three people also typing as I write this. I think that's the busiest I've ever seen Eurobricks - maybe even during Mafia! *huh*

He shifted to his Skull Shield.

"Get that Decamodifier on the ready, Karie, 'cause I sure am.

Just don't shrink it until I've had a chance to lighten its pockets." :laugh:

OoC: I'm going to hold off on drinking anything until we're actually into the final battle, unless WBD confirms that the badges aren't functional. Don't want to risk drinking all of these potions, only to waste them on a small mob fight!

Edited by Lind Whisperer

3 hours ago, Lind Whisperer said:

@Waterbrick Down

Lind handed over the 40 Gold while chuckling. "Haven't you ever heard that the customer is always right?

Terrible service at this establishment - do you have a manager I could talk to?" :laugh:

This not some store, it is barely a yard sale...How about my assistant mangers Right and Left (fist in your face). :devil_laugh: 

16 minutes ago, Lord Duvors said:

"Lind, why are you looking at me like that? You seem disappointed in me for some reason."

I think he wanted you to take over (the Town Watch). Personally, I would probably just smash the dumb badge with a hammer. 

5 minutes ago, Kintobor said:

"Now, are we ready to kick this archdemon's or what?"

I am just waiting for everyone else to get ready. Better to do last minute things now before it is to late. 

4 minutes ago, StickFig said:

I guess he is ready, but is he? Is everyone just ready, I think they better double think this... 

Just now, Lind Whisperer said:

"I don't plan on dying, but...you never know.

Dying in battle with an archdemon, just as I've relieved her of all her other-worldly possessions? As Rogues go out, that's about as heroic as it gets."

He sighed, and thought a moment.

"...I'm not disappointed, Throlar...but frankly, I think you are the best choice for the new Watch Captain - which is why I was frowning.

I had never really considered you as a candidate for it, but when I saw you pick up that badge, I was happy. Finally, after all of the corruption, it would be led by a leader with strong morals, who never gave up, even when people disagreed - but yet, someone who has a strong sense of law and order, who just as relentlessly tries to do the right thing, whether it benefits him or not.

Honestly...

"Lind, I can't be captain of the Watch, I am not a member of the watch and have never served in it. And I certainly have no intention of proclaiming myself the leader of an organization I know almost nothing about, that sort of thing is frankly contemptible. And besides, I have too many obligations elsewhere, Babeleth, Xu, wherever the hell Amber Makepeace's accomplices are (yes, I know you have no idea who she is but the words 'bad person' should suffice), and just basically everywhere that people need help. I can't do all that and possess an obligation to the laws and safety of one city. I'm a member of Heroica, I have the whole world to deal with. In fact I intend to resign from the Titaanese Diplomatic Service as soon as this is all over so that I don't have any other obligations preventing me from, well, being a hero."

2 minutes ago, Kintobor said:

"Err, yeah, about that. Before we go we'll need all the help we can get." he said, turning to address the Miracleworker. "Do you think you can bring back the Doomsayer? I don't know how your... nature effects that but it should be possible, right? And... the Dragonlord, Cain, should be here if at all possible. Åsa is already with us and Jacq, Kukulkan, and Semiramis are probably dead now. And if Hestia was able to join us she would. Even if it would have to wait until after the battle it just feels wrong for him to die such a pointless death."

12 minutes ago, StickFig said:

Throlar jumped in shock as the gnome shouted just behind him. "Matthias," he said, "would you mind not giving anyone a heart attack? You may be immortal but the rest of us aren't."

12 minutes ago, samurai-turtle said:

I guess he is ready, but is he? Is everyone just ready, I think they better double think this... 

The gnome smirks darkly at the demonic hero. "There is no time to be more ready. If we are Heroes, we are Heroes."

7 minutes ago, Lord Duvors said:

Throlar jumped in shock as the gnome shouted just behind him. "Matthias," he said, "would you mind not giving anyone a heart attack? You may be immortal but the rest of us aren't."

"Not immortal, not un-killable. Just not getting any older, Master Throlar," Matthias laughs cynically.

Edited by StickFig
formatting

54 minutes ago, Lord Duvors said:

"Lind, I can't be captain of the Watch, I am not a member of the watch and have never served in it. And I certainly have no intention of proclaiming myself the leader of an organization I know almost nothing about, that sort of thing is frankly contemptible. And besides, I have too many obligations elsewhere, Babeleth, Xu, wherever the hell Amber Makepeace's accomplices are (yes, I know you have no idea who she is but the words 'bad person' should suffice), and just basically everywhere that people need help. I can't do all that and possess an obligation to the laws and safety of one city. I'm a member of Heroica, I have the whole world to deal with. In fact I intend to resign from the Titaanese Diplomatic Service as soon as this is all over so that I don't have any other obligations preventing me from, well, being a hero."

He shrugged. "No prior connections to the Watch is a good thing - less potential for corruption, unlike every other person who's likely to put themselves forward.

What's to know? They protect the city, and they walk around on guard duty. 

And besides, I'm sure Arthur could help you through the rough bits - I imagine he's going to be the next Veteran Mage, or I'd be suggesting him.

Throlar, I know you have a big heart - but you can't save the entire world. Eubric needs people to fix it, else how can we help the whole world together?

It's your choice - but in the bigger picture, I think you could do a great deal of good as Leader of the Watch - and when you consider the broader implications of having a safe Eubric, you might be doing a lot more good than you ever could as a hero.

Still, it's your choice."

Edited by Lind Whisperer

Kiray watched the explosion, a grin on her face.

18 hours ago, CMP said:

"We got our target. Ya' got any final thoughts for these people, now's the time."

"Stay safe everyone. For those of us who won't survive, know it's for a good cause." She then drinks a Nostrum, Smelling Salts, and a mead.

QM Note: Hi Folks, big post coming up in a few hours. Just to provide some clarification, the NPC's will be staying topside (not going to make too much of a difference), and the seals still work.

5 hours ago, Lind Whisperer said:

"Dying in battle with an archdemon, just as I've relieved her of all her other-worldly possessions? As Rogues go out, that's about as heroic as it gets."

Lind waited to see what the Dwarf had to say. If he wanted to join the Watch, Lind would happily support him - if not, he would still be nominating him for Veteran Knight.

"And besides, I'm sure Arthur could help you through the rough bits - I imagine he's going to be the next Veteran Mage, or I'd be suggesting him."

Give it a break, Whisperer. We ain't voting, at least not yet. You remember what happened the last time the Heroes tried to take part in an election. Besides, what rule says that the Veterans all need to align with classes? If that's the case, what class is Altraite supposed to be, anyways? 

Rone glances over at Karie, knowing she shared his aspirations. Next, his eyes fell on Atramor, who was easily as worthy of being a leader as any of them.

We've got plenty of Rogues who've proven their worth over the years. I have no problem with putting more than one of them on our list. 

1 hour ago, The Legonater said:

Give it a break, Whisperer. We ain't voting, at least not yet. You remember what happened the last time the Heroes tried to take part in an election. Besides, what rule says that the Veterans all need to align with classes? If that's the case, what class is Altraite supposed to be, anyways? 

"What rule says they don't?

The Copper Fox? Well, if I remember right, he's a "Jack of All Trades," who "started out as a street performer," but then began to "use his talent of imitation to trick people out of their valuables". Don't know about you, but that sure sounds like a Rogue to me.

Right now? Well, his ability to match any hero's fighting style would lead me to believe he's a Mime, though I suppose I could be mistaken...

And yes, I do remember. That's part of the reason I'm bringing the topic up, actually. I want to remind people that they should start mulling over who they want to represent them as Veterans, and who would best represent Eubric - otherwise, it's just going to be a brief popularity contest.

We need to get moving, but there's no reason we can't speculate as we move."

Edited by Lind Whisperer

On 9/25/2018 at 11:39 AM, Palathadric said:

Pretzel joins Hoke, or flies alongside him on his Flying Cross if such a thing is possible.

He turns to Arthur, slightly confused.

"I thought you were pretty content in the watch? I must have completely misread you."

"At the time?  I was.  It's only in retrospect that I realized what a mistake I'd made.  I'm thankful my Lieutenant had the foresight to fudge the paperwork and kick me out before I caused even more harm to this city than I already had."

7 hours ago, StickFig said:

Matthias ignores the bigger man's remark as best he can, looking game but a little green as they load up on Torc. "How about some fireworks?"

Once aground, the gnome downs his Hero's Cocktail and prepares to head for the Hall, and the Temple.

Arthur leans over to Marco and nudges him with his shoulder, nodding his head in the direction of Matthias and Chesterine.  "50 gold says she'll have us planning their wedding by this time next year."  He chuckles, then raises his voice back to normal speaking tone to address Chesterine as well.  "Stay safe, you two.  With luck, I'll be back in time for dinner."

The Skirmisher does his best to ignore the political posturing going on around him, instead approaching Illdria.  "Here," he says, handing the Captain he'd met so long ago a parchment with his mother's address.  "My family and I want to help fix the mess that's been made of Eubric, and part of that means undoing the damage the Bonapartes and the rest have done over the years.  The problem being, of course, that we've been so isolated in the past that we lack perspective on the finer details of what exactly went wrong.  When you've got some time, we'd like your perspective."  He pauses.  "Oh, and..."  Arthur gives Illdria 1,000 gold.  "My contribution to repairing the Magpie.  She's a good ship, she deserves a good overhaul after everything she's been through.  Take care, Captain, and I hope to see you soon."

Arthur next looks to the Shadeaux, but sees the group of them huddled together, offering each other what comfort they can.  Rather than interrupting them, he merely catches Bellanotte's eye and offers a grateful smile and nod for her help.

With the civilians addressed, Arthur returns his attention to Pretzel.  "What do you think?" he asks.  "Hero's Cocktail now, or leave it in the Swift Halberd as an emergency measure?"

12 hours ago, StickFig said:

"Or like this?"

Hoke signals to Torc, but she was already ahead of him.

"Hold on!"

With a mighty flap of her wings, Torc shoots up, almost vertically, folds her wings, and falls, face first.  She roars, emits a gout of flame, and barrel rolls through it.

17 hours ago, Kintobor said:

"Yes, Karie is right. Besides, it seems a tad hypocritical to complain about the rule of the founders and then start talking as if we will be the ones to decide who controls the city. I mean...I don't know. Perhaps it is best that we do, but the last elections...Even if Throlar would want to take the position, do you really think the best way for him to go about it would be to just take the badge and proclaim himself captain?"

11 hours ago, The Legonater said:

We've got plenty of Rogues who've proven their worth over the years. I have no problem with putting more than one of them on our list. 

I jab Dyric.

"Oh, really? You're just afraid of losing out, eh? What you mean to say is that you know a lot more rogues more qualifies than you, right?" I laugh and continue jocularly, "Well, I can't say I'd complain about team "DAMN" being Heroica's next bunch of veterans, but we'll have to find a replacement for Namyrra. By the way, we're all worrying about this archdemon, but if Rosier is anything like the last one we faced, we'll wipe her out without a blink."

The hint of nervousness in my voice just barely betrays my true feelings.

9 hours ago, Flipz said:

"At the time?  I was.  It's only in retrospect that I realized what a mistake I'd made.  I'm thankful my Lieutenant had the foresight to fudge the paperwork and kick me out before I caused even more harm to this city than I already had."

"What do you think?" he asks.  "Hero's Cocktail now, or leave it in the Swift Halberd as an emergency measure?"

"More harm? What would you have done? Forgive my asking. If you don't want to say, I completely understand.

"About that Hero's Cocktail...I don't know. The last time I fought an Archdemon, our team used them to great effect, but this time around...it seems every battle we fight, our enemies become more and more aware of our tactics and finding ways to work around them. Holding it in your Halberd is always a good option though."

17 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

"Err, yeah, about that. Before we go we'll need all the help we can get." he said, turning to address the Miracleworker. "Do you think you can bring back the Doomsayer? I don't know how your... nature effects that but it should be possible, right? And... the Dragonlord, Cain, should be here if at all possible.

"I'm not sure about that. Based on what we've heard, it sounds to me that it's better that the Doomsayer is not around for now. As far as Cain is concerned...leave him be. There is no use troubling the dead with the burdens of the living. Besides, I'm not sure what kind of being a Pixie Dust figment of another's imagination can raise from the grave..."

"By the way, Throlar, it was a pleasure working with you, both in the tavern when this whole mess started and now. I must say that I don't quite have the diplomatic abilities that I once did, but I'm glad that you did not give in to violence, but helped to negotiate this truce."

I approach Commander Fervent.

"Glad that we could rescue you from your fate there. I must say that I am very glad we got here on time. I hate to think that you could have faced disgrace and lost your life on our account."

5 minutes ago, Palathadric said:

"Yes, Karie is right. Besides, it seems a tad hypocritical to complain about the rule of the founders and then start talking as if we will be the ones to decide who controls the city. I mean...I don't know. Perhaps it is best that we do, but the last elections...Even if Throlar would want to take the position, do you really think the best way for him to go about it would be to just take the badge and proclaim himself captain?"

"About that Hero's Cocktail...I don't know. The last time I fought an Archdemon, our team used them to great effect, but this time around...it seems every battle we fight, our enemies become more and more aware of our tactics and finding ways to work around them. Holding it in your Halberd is always a good option though."

"No, I imagine showing up with the badge and just announcing himself as captain would work out just as well as one might imagine. But I do think he should hold on to it until this mess is sorted out - and add himself to any list of candidates that present themselves."

"Interesting - which Archdemon did you fight?"

13 hours ago, Lind Whisperer said:

"What rule says they don't?

The Copper Fox? Well, if I remember right, he's a "Jack of All Trades," who "started out as a street performer," but then began to "use his talent of imitation to trick people out of their valuables". Don't know about you, but that sure sounds like a Rogue to me.

Right now? Well, his ability to match any hero's fighting style would lead me to believe he's a Mime, though I suppose I could be mistaken...

And yes, I do remember. That's part of the reason I'm bringing the topic up, actually. I want to remind people that they should start mulling over who they want to represent them as Veterans, and who would best represent Eubric - otherwise, it's just going to be a brief popularity contest.

We need to get moving, but there's no reason we can't speculate as we move."

2 hours ago, Palathadric said:

I jab Dyric.

"Oh, really? You're just afraid of losing out, eh? What you mean to say is that you know a lot more rogues more qualifies than you, right?" I laugh and continue jocularly, "Well, I can't say I'd complain about team "DAMN" being Heroica's next bunch of veterans, but we'll have to find a replacement for Namyrra."

Rone gave a shrug, unable to hide a smile as Pretzel pokes fun. I'm not too proud to admit - I want the position. And I agree, Whisperer, it shouldn't just be a popularity contest - but at the same time, it should go to the people who are actually seeking change. The people who have conviction and will do something. And I swear, if you bring back that whole "I want the job the least, so I deserve it" nonsense... 

The Hero took a deep breath, a lifetime in the Hall playing out before his eyes. He met the Whisperer's gaze, once again trying to speak out of sympathy. 

Look, ever since I came here, I've been trying to find peace for this city. I thought maybe we could unite the houses, or maybe Guts could lead us. I was wrong, or I failed. I don't know. But I want this chance, Lind. If this is another opportunity, then I want to take it. I want to restore Heroica to an organization that means something, that stands for something. And I want to restore it to something that can help Eubric rather than hinder it. I can't sit idly by anymore. 

So, yeah, I want the position. If there's too many Rogues, put me down as a Ranger - I'm more bowman than thief at this point anyways. If it comes down to a vote, then fine. But this is my passion, and that has been my passion for longer than I think I've realized. Give me that chance, Lind. 

3 hours ago, Palathadric said:

"Yes, that's exactly what I've been thinking."

3 hours ago, Palathadric said:

"I'm not sure about that. Based on what we've heard, it sounds to me that it's better that the Doomsayer is not around for now. As far as Cain is concerned...leave him be. There is no use troubling the dead with the burdens of the living. Besides, I'm not sure what kind of being a Pixie Dust figment of another's imagination can raise from the grave..."

"By the way, Throlar, it was a pleasure working with you, both in the tavern when this whole mess started and now. I must say that I don't quite have the diplomatic abilities that I once did, but I'm glad that you did not give in to violence, but helped to negotiate this truce."

"Perhaps- perhaps I don't know really, it's all a bit confused to be honest."

"Thank you. I've chosen violence as a first resort too often in the past, I don't intend that to happen again. And it's been an honor working with you too."

3 hours ago, Lind Whisperer said:

"No, I imagine showing up with the badge and just announcing himself as captain would work out just as well as one might imagine. But I do think he should hold on to it until this mess is sorted out - and add himself to any list of candidates that present themselves."

"Lind, I only know about three watchmen by name and they've all been rather brief acquaintances so far. I don't think I'd get many votes even if I wanted the job. And quite frankly I don't think I'd be suitable anyway. I feel more comfortable in the thick of the action where I can  protect and heal people in person and where I can talk to people face to face, not sitting behind a desk ordering people to risk their lives on a daily basis. And I'm not someone who'd take well to leadership, I'd get nervous, make mistakes and rash decisions that could easily get people killed. And what you've said about me being able to do more good leading the watch in the city is quite frankly hogwash. The people who can devote their lives to making one little corner of the world the best it can be are quite frankly amazing, probably far better people than me to be honest. But we live in a world where an archdemon can subtly invade a city the size of Eubric without anyone noticing until it's almost too late. And it's not just that, you heard me mention Amber Makepeace? She's a necromancer who wants to kill everyone in Eubric and raise them as undead in the misguided belief that it will make all the city's problems vanish and undead accepted by the living, and she can do it too. She's currently imprisoned but she has allies who share her goals and could break her out at any time. Being a watch captain seems kind of ineffective in the face of nigh invincible enemies who could suddenly appear out of nowhere and wipe out everything you've worked for for reasons you don't understand? The world needs people to make little differences but it also needs people to stop the things that could destroy all those little differences in an instant. Do I think I can deal with things like that by myself? Hell no! But I can't stand by and just let them happen either. I've had enough of waiting for opportunities to do good when I know that this is what happens when you do that."

Edited by Lord Duvors

2 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

"Lind, I only know about three watchmen by name and they've all been rather brief acquaintances so far. I don't think I'd get many votes even if I wanted the job. And quite frankly I don't think I'd be suitable anyway. I feel more comfortable in the thick of the action where I can  protect and heal people in person and where I can talk to people face to face, not sitting behind a desk ordering people to risk their lives on a daily basis. And I'm not someone who'd take well to leadership, I'd get nervous, make mistakes and rash decisions that could easily get people killed. And what you've said about me being able to do more good leading the watch in the city is quite frankly hogwash. The people who can devote their lives to making one little corner of the world the best it can be are quite frankly amazing, probably far better people than me to be honest. But we live in a world where an archdemon can subtly invade a city the size of Eubric without anyone noticing until it's almost too late. And it's not just that, you heard me mention Amber Makepeace? She's a necromancer who wants to kill everyone in Eubric and raise them as undead in the misguided belief that it will make all the city's problems vanish and undead accepted by the living, and she can do it too. She's currently imprisoned but she has allies who share her goals and could break her out at any time. Being a watch captain seems kind of ineffective in the face of nigh invincible enemies who could suddenly appear out of nowhere and wipe out everything you've worked for for reasons you don't understand? The world needs people to make little differences but it also needs people to stop the things that could destroy all those little differences in an instant. Do I think I can deal with things like that by myself? Hell no! But I can't stand by and just let them happen either. I've had enough of waiting for opportunities to do good when I know that this is what happens when you do that."

"It does need people who can stop those kinds of things...but if we don't have trustworthy people to make the little differences, then what good is it? You may save the world - but you'll lose the cities and the people.

But, if you really feel that you can do more good as a Hero, than so be it."

2 hours ago, The Legonater said:

Rone gave a shrug, unable to hide a smile as Pretzel pokes fun. I'm not too proud to admit - I want the position. And I agree, Whisperer, it shouldn't just be a popularity contest - but at the same time, it should go to the people who are actually seeking change. The people who have conviction and will do something. And I swear, if you bring back that whole "I want the job the least, so I deserve it" nonsense... 

The Hero took a deep breath, a lifetime in the Hall playing out before his eyes. He met the Whisperer's gaze, once again trying to speak out of sympathy. 

Look, ever since I came here, I've been trying to find peace for this city. I thought maybe we could unite the houses, or maybe Guts could lead us. I was wrong, or I failed. I don't know. But I want this chance, Lind. If this is another opportunity, then I want to take it. I want to restore Heroica to an organization that means something, that stands for something. And I want to restore it to something that can help Eubric rather than hinder it. I can't sit idly by anymore. 

So, yeah, I want the position. If there's too many Rogues, put me down as a Ranger - I'm more bowman than thief at this point anyways. If it comes down to a vote, then fine. But this is my passion, and that has been my passion for longer than I think I've realized. Give me that chance, Lind. 

He looked seriously at Rone. "Rone...I'm not trying to stand in the way of your chance. I agree that you certainly deserve it. But as you said...there are many Rogues - and, really, even a few Rangers - who also deserve a chance.

I'm neither saying I want it - nor denying it. I want to keep helping the city - and with the Union gone, well, there aren't many good options for that. I have even less connections than Throlar to the Watch - if I'm not mistaken, this is the first time I've ever met any of them in person. You'll probably tell me that "I can help by being a good Hero" - but, frankly, I'd like to do more than that. And Rogue...well, given my colorful past, I believe that Rogue would be the only class I could represent.

I don't know what I plan to do. I don't want to stand in the way of people who have a passion - but there are people here, who have been here a much shorter time, who also have a passion. One that may not be able to be filled just by, "being a good Hero".

But I am glad that we can agree that it should go to the people who are actually seeking change."

6 hours ago, Palathadric said:

"More harm? What would you have done? Forgive my asking. If you don't want to say, I completely understand.

Arthur nods toward Karie.  "Kayla.  If I'd chosen to walk into their trap alone that night like my first impulse was, she and Dozenhands might have managed to convince me of the problems in this city sooner.  Kayla and Dozenhands would still be alive--or at least, they wouldn't have died right there and then--and maybe their influence would have convinced Ulric of his mistaken alliance with Baba sooner.  There's...also the matter of the Syndicate.  I'm thankful we convinced Masson of the evils of the Harvester and got him to destroy it, but... that doesn't bring back the members we killed in the process.  Octavyn may have forgiven me for killing his best friend, and it might have even been 'necessary' in the grand scheme of things, but it doesn't change the fact that they were good people trying to achieve good ends.  If I hadn't been so rigid in my beliefs back then--just like Patricia--then maybe I would have held back, not gone for the fatal blows.  I'm not naive enough to think I could have solved the whole thing without bloodshed, but at least it wouldn't have had to have been fatal bloodshed, you know?"

Arthur groans as the discussion over future Veterans swells.  Personally, he saw quite a few Heroes who ought to be elevated to the position, but the timing was awful and the process unbearable.  "If anyone's still thinking of putting my name up, I want to point out Hestia Bonaparte and exactly how much good her Veteranhood has helped us in this crisis... which, namely, is not at all.  Her parallels with me should be taken into firm consideration.  I should also point out the complication of promoting an ageless being to a lifetime position.  While there are some of us with that trait--" Arthur's eyes dart to Matthias for a moment before darting away "--who I feel would be a boon for Heroica as a Veteran, I'm not sure I'd count that as an advantage if I were given such a role."

"...also as a side note, do we really need a representative for each Veteran Class?  Just...pick whoever's the best for the job and move on."  The Skirmisher shrugged, and went back to organizing his gear.

OOC: Wasn't there an Artifact from 93 that triples damage against demons?  Someone should probably equip that, if we have it in the party.  Watt's Artifact I think it was called?

Edited by Flipz

30 minutes ago, Lind Whisperer said:

"It does need people who can stop those kinds of things...but if we don't have trustworthy people to make the little differences, then what good is it? You may save the world - but you'll lose the cities and the people.

But, if you really feel that you can do more good as a Hero, than so be it."

"I agree with you, but there are other people more suited to the job then me. Now, why don't we leave finishing this discussion about who'll rule the city until after we know if the city will still be here tomorrow, hm?"

"If it's a blank slate - then I will gladly keep you in mind when I cast my votes. Although, in such a case, I might...well, in such a case, running myself, might not be out of the question, given as how then I wouldn't be shoving someone else more deserving out of a place."

But if it's limited to original classes..." The Munchkin's voice trailed off, and he looked at the ground. "It pains me to say this...especially after you specifically asked me to give you a chance...but if it's limited to original classes, barring, again, certain circumstances...my vote must lie elsewhere - and it's not me."

On 9/26/2018 at 9:43 PM, Kintobor said:

"Aye, how 'bout we come back alive first? We don't make it back, Heroica won't even-" Atramor trailed off briefly, as he caught a few of the civilians in the corner of his eye - Skuld, Waldorf, Bellanotte. He couldn't help but smirk a bit. "....eh. Nevermind. I'm sure it'll be fine."

"Really though, mates, we've dealt with the entire town watch, the paladin order, some pixie dust ghosts, an army of dragons, and we're 'bout to go up against an archdemon in its own cushy little pocket of fairyland."

"If we're gonna tack 'political endorsements' on the end there, at least wait 'til I've had a few drinks. It's been a long day."

Atramor handed out the loot as he walked.

50 Gold each
1 Grand Tonic to Benji, Heckz, Torald, Throlar
1 Greater Tonic to Karie, Matthias
2 Water Bombs to Throlar
1 Remedy to Vindsval, Germ, Nerwen
1 Grand Potion to Dyric
1 Greater Potion to Boomingham
2 Deadly Venoms to Lind 
1 Dragon Scale to Matthias, Hoke, Skrall
4 Fire Bombs each, 6 to Throlar and Torald