ElectroDiva

2018 Lego Trains

First thing I must say is: I will not be sharing the pictures (2 exist, one of each set, 60197 and 60198).

After conversing with 2 independant anonymous individuals, I have 2 independent copies of the same set of photos, (one set in much higher resolution than the other).

Now, I must stress I have given my word to both that I will not repost or reproduce the actual photos, but that doesn't mean I can't talk about them.

Thus, if you have any questions, I believe within Eurobricks rules I am allowed to answer them.

If, at anytime I surpass what I am allowed within the rules, moderators please remove the offending material and PM me a warning.

Thanks James!

Is the controller new? Is it Bluetooth or something else? Backwards compatible?

On the trains - do they look similar to the Reddit pictures?

17 minutes ago, JEB314 (James) said:

First thing I must say is: I will not be sharing the pictures (2 exist, one of each set, 60197 and 60198).

After conversing with 2 independant anonymous individuals, I have 2 independent copies of the same set of photos, (one set in much higher resolution than the other).

Now, I must stress I have given my word to both that I will not repost or reproduce the actual photos, but that doesn't mean I can't talk about them.

Thus, if you have any questions, I believe within Eurobricks rules I am allowed to answer them.

If, at anytime I surpass what I am allowed within the rules, moderators please remove the offending material and PM me a warning.

Can you confirm the passenger train only has one locomotive?

30 minutes ago, JEB314 (James) said:

Could your give your description of the cargo train's cargo cars & track-side structures? Any idea on the amount of track included? 

If the bluetooth rumors are true, that might mean an easier way to control a double train with 2 motors, e.g. horizon express. Makes sense too if the new passenger train doesn't have 2 loco's. 

29 minutes ago, dylanfarrow said:

Thanks James!

Is the controller new? Is it Bluetooth or something else? Backwards compatible?

On the trains - do they look similar to the Reddit pictures?

1. Is the controller new?

Yes, the controller does look to be new. It still classed as Power Functions (but with an extra illegible word after it). It is Light Bluish Grey, square in shape, and has 2 knobs on it, in between the knobs there looks to be a channel switch...

2. Is it Bluetooth or something else?

It is not immediately clear, but above the controller there is something very similar to a wifi symbol, (like you have in the top right hand corner of a smartphone).

Therefore, I have a feeling that the IR receiver must have changed to be compatable with this new controller.

3. Backwards compatible? 

This is not at all clear. Other than the fact the side-skirts (Part No. 2871b) look that same.

I believe as a consequence the motor is the same, but the connection on the end of wire could be entirely different, I just can't tell, I would imagine that aspect would be the same though.

4. About the Reddit pictures.

I have done side by side comparisons between both respective trains.

60197: The locomotives look virtually identical.

But.

60198: They have identical majority green (not teal) colour schemes. The full colour scheme goes: dark bluish gray roof, green for the main body, a single plate layer of yellow plates and then a white train base.

As for the shape, it looks like the French loco and a Class 37 had a baby. The most important change is about Part No. 13760, see my first attached picture. It is the other way up and further set back than in the Reddit photos taken from Damian Wicher's video. Therefore, I strongly believe the video was from the development stage.

60198 also has 2 lights on the front (1x1 clear round tiles), because it has a cab at each end, I would say that is the same on both ends.

The ends themselves look different from the Reddit pictures, more like a Class 37, it does have Part No. 6583, see my second attached picture, at the bottom of each end.

The middle of the locomotive does look very similar to the Reddit photos as does the roof design.

Overall, both look very good and personally I believe a step in the right direction.

Right, onto the next question.

I will split this into a new reply.

13760.png

6583.png

41 minutes ago, Eaglefan344 said:

Can you confirm the passenger train only has one locomotive?

Yes, 60197 has one locomotive, exactly like the Reddit picture, and behind that is 2 carriages.

It has 3 minifigures, a driver (gender not clear, but likely male due to the driver in the top right being male), one male and one female passenger. The male has a satchel and the female has a lime green suitcase (could be a new mold).

It also has a small station platform and a modern looking signal.

The track looks the same as 60051, i.e. 16 curves and probably 2, but possibly 4 straights.

I just hope the price is about the same as 60051...

2 minutes ago, JEB314 (James) said:

Yes, 60197 has one locomotive, exactly like the Reddit picture, and behind that is 2 carriages.

Is there a sticker on the nose piece, or is it plain like the reddit pic? 

Does any of the new sets have a traditional train door or window? I mean the ones with rounded corners of the glass - no matter if large or small. On the video at least I have seen small, old-school train window pieces on the door imitation for the cargo locomotive. Or are there only square window pieces, like we have seen on 60051?

31 minutes ago, JEB314 (James) said:

As for the shape, it looks like the French loco and a Class 37 had a baby.

:laugh: :roflmao: Oh dear... SNCF BB22200 + BR 37 = ??? A mess, probably. I guess they decided whatever building technique was employed to get the window upside down was too advanced. That does sound quite unpleasant now, but I expect I'll change my mind later as usual. Never mind, I've gotten a nice-looking LDD MOC out of my replica of those video pictures. (I discovered recolouring it into the 60051 livery and giving it nice pantographs makes a really neat train!)

1 hour ago, bobbybats said:

Could your give your description of the cargo train's cargo cars & track-side structures? Any idea on the amount of track included?

Just an update, I'm about to answer this one. I'm working through in order.

Sorry I'm behind, had to do other stuff for a while.

5 minutes ago, ColletArrow said:

:laugh: :roflmao: Oh dear... SNCF BB22200 + BR 37 = ??? A mess, probably. I guess they decided whatever building technique was employed to get the window upside down was too advanced. That does sound quite unpleasant now, but I expect I'll change my mind later as usual. Never mind, I've gotten a nice-looking LDD MOC out of my replica of those video pictures. (I discovered recolouring it into the 60051 livery and giving it nice pantographs makes a really neat train!)

Got any pics of that?

This question will be broken down to get it out faster.

Train cars: 3

Wood wagon:

Has 3 decent length logs on a flat wagon with train ends. Would go perfectly with the logging vehicle currently available, recommend picking one up at some point, it will go together nicely.

Container flatbed with 2 containers:

Nothing to remark on the flatbed, its pretty simple. The containers are the interesting part and add a lot of play value. The first is red, with open sided and has something blurry in it. (Could be a little mode of transport - get away vehicle?) The second is a gray bank container, with gold bars and money. Ability to open side of bank container. i.e. train robbery, all the police sets will go with this 100%.

The crane wagon:

Black train base, 1 layer of yellow plates, cab area is blue, back and crane arm is white. Clever, but simple design, hard to explain exactly how the mechanism works.

2 minutes ago, JEB314 (James) said:

The crane wagon:

Black train base, 1 layer of yellow plates, cab area is blue, back and crane arm is white. Clever, but simple design, hard to explain exactly how the mechanism works.

A CRANE WAGON? Sweet mercy, we're in business!

track-side structures?

A signal control centre with a red main part and yellow supports. It has a Light Bluish Gray ladder up the left-hand side. (Looks like one you'd get on top of a fire engine.) Has signals sticking out the front.

A road crossing, 2 vehicles wide, in Light Bluish Gray. Has crossing signs.

Majority white bank van with green bottom. 6 studs wide.

Majority orange forklift truck with some black. 4 studs wide.

A buffer stop in black. Nice design.

Edited by JEB314 (James)
(Forgot to mention the buffer stop!)

Any idea on the amount of track included?

For definite:

One left hand point. (If there is a right one its not shown. If this is the case, this will probably cause a price discrepancy on Bricklink between left and right hand points, like the 2003 Freight Set did marginally to 9V.)

8 to 10 straight bits of track (Can't be sure.)

At least 16 curved bits of track to make a loop. (Although might be more, can't be sure.)

NO FLEX TRACK! Praise be!

I believe as a consequence, flex track may be no more, so if you need any, buy it now.

I think Lego might have listened to people about that!

Therefore, if a track pack happens it would likely either be curves and straights, like set 7896, or just straight track (which would be better and would sell more).

This talk of a new PF system/remote caught my interest , when I get to work on Thursday I am going to have a look at the 2018 catalogue again, I've looked through it several times and nothing about the trains caught my attention, then again I don't really know anything about Lego trains but I'll have a look.

And before you ask, I won't be taking any pictures for anyone.

Edited by degenerate

Is there a sticker on the nose piece, or is it plain like the reddit pic? 

In the picture of 60197 it has no stickers on the entire set. I think it will in the final set though, probably little train logos and transition stickers for the big yellow front piece, as well as a couple on the small station platform.

Meanwhile, 60198 has all the stickers you would expect on it, but still not too many, less than 15ish in the whole set I'd say.

1 hour ago, ClassicTrains said:

Does any of the new sets have a traditional train door or window? I mean the ones with rounded corners of the glass - no matter if large or small. On the video at least I have seen small, old-school train window pieces on the door imitation for the cargo locomotive. Or are there only square window pieces, like we have seen on 60051?

All the windows appear to be square on both trains, a shame really, I'd have liked proper train windows. Same for doors, neither have them.

60197 though, has a interesting feature, the glass on the front has a hinge at the top to open it upward to allow the driver to be placed in his position!

1 hour ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Is the connector plug the same as the current PF system connector plug?

This is not at all clear, it is all hidden inside the locomotives.

I'm currently on the search for the preliminary back of the boxes, as that may answer some questions, but I do not believe pictures exist, at least I got that impression.

If I get hold of some info about the PF system, I will be sure to share it.

49 minutes ago, JEB314 (James) said:

For definite:

Therefore, if a track pack happens it would likely either be curves and straights, like set 7896, or just straight track (which would be better and would sell more).

Thanks for sharing!