Digger of Bricks

LEGO Ideas' Moments in Space - A Gift-With-Purchase Contest

This topic's discussion has now shifted over to Lego Ideas' latest "gift-with-purchase" contest, as named in the topic's current title. Details for this contest are presented in this topic's fourth reply. The former title of this topic was The Brick Fan's Future Gift-With-Purchase Contest from Lego's CET.

OK, this pretty cool. The Lego Community Engagement Team is asking readers of Allen Tran's The Brick Fan to offer up ideas for some future "gift-with-purchase" sets. :sweet:

Here is the article and quoted details below:

Lego Looking for Ideas for Future Gift-With-Purchase Items

We as fans have gotten at lot of great GWP (gift-with-purchase) sets over the years including the LEGO Creator Mini VW Beetle (40252) from earlier this year. The LEGO Community Engagement Team has asked the community to come up with ideas for future GWP items. I’ll be collecting ideas and give a list of top 5 most wanted GWP themes. It is fine if there are multiple comments for the same thing. Your ideas will influence future GWP items so send in some great ones.

The deadline to enter is October 31 but comment below so I can get a list going beforehand.

All ideas are welcome and below are some examples of ideas for a set which you might find helpful to get it started, as you can see there is room for many more good ideas.

– Futuristic Spaceship
– Pre-historic animals
– Modular building, corner restaurant
– Flower(s)
– Steam train (from 1923)
– Underwater creatures

Edited by Digger of Bricks
Change of discussion.

The team at LEGO Ideas is hosting a "Gift-With-Purchase" contest of their own, but this time, it is specifically SPACE based! Here is the quoted and linked blog post below, with many questions answered about the contest in the blog post's comments at the link.

LEGO Ideas - New Contest: LEGO Moments in Space

Following the success of the Build Your LEGO Ideas Logo contest, we're thrilled to be able to invite you to yet another contest as part of Contests (beta)! So put on your space helmets, remember your creative juices and buckle up...we're going for a ride as we look for your best LEGO Moments in Space.  

As a Grand Prize winner you will get the very exclusive opportunity to get your winning entry adapted into a Gift with Purchase set that would be available in LEGO stores, LEGOLAND, LEGOLAND Discovery Centers and Shop.LEGO.com in 2019. But that's not all! You'll also win a $250 shopping spree on the online LEGO store as well a collection of past Gift with Purchase sets. Ten Runner Up winners stand the chance of winning a $125 shopping spree and a small selection of past Gift with Purchase sets!

Submissions are open from today until the 9th of February, 2018 at which point we will open the contest for a fan voting phase that will last until the 19th February, 2018. Your votes will help select the top 25 entries for our judges to review further.

How will this work?

Contests will have their own rules separate from the LEGO Ideas Guidelines, which are meant for Projects. Since the Contest feature is still in beta, some details may evolve over time. We’ve revised the site Terms of Service to support the new Contest feature. Questions? Check out our Contest Beta FAQ.

I've been trying to enter the Lego Ideas gift-with-purchase contest, but my designs keep getting rejected with the notice "Please note that the rules don't allow entries to contain intellectual properties (IP) or parts from an IP set which are not allowed in this contest."  I've since posted them all on mecabricks so people can at least see them. Vostok 1 I thought would get rejected because I included a minifigure of Yuri Gagarin, and it's Russian real space (they explicitly said no entries referring too NASA, so I guess the Russian space agency is included in that?).  But the others... what on earth is the matter with them?

Sputnik 1 is a cultural icon, has someone really trademarked the design? Also, at risk of sounding bitter, I've just seen an accepted competition entry called "Satalite and Rocket" which is obviously a combo of Sputnik and Explorer 1 (America's first satellite), so what's the matter with my with my one?

Roswell Crash This one I thought was really cute, it wasn't based on any intellectual properties, the parts were all common, the alien head appeared in other accepted entries... I did give the minifigures a couple of tools to hold, but these have come in other creator sets (e.g. the creator expert set Big Ben, where tools were used for the clock face).  What am I missing here?

I would really appreciate any suggestions on how to get the designs accepted...

45 minutes ago, NathanR said:

Roswell Crash This one I thought was really cute, it wasn't based on any intellectual properties, the parts were all common, the alien head appeared in other accepted entries... I did give the minifigures a couple of tools to hold, but these have come in other creator sets (e.g. the creator expert set Big Ben, where tools were used for the clock face).  What am I missing here?

I would really appreciate any suggestions on how to get the designs accepted...

Maybe call it "Alien crash encounter".

20 hours ago, MAB said:

Maybe call it "Alien crash encounter".

Thanks, that actually worked! I'd originally called it "Flying Saucer Crash" and the only reference to Roswell was in the description - I deleted that one line of text and the design has now been accepted! I am kind of curious though... if "Roswell" is an IP, who holds the copyright on it? 

I also tried resubmitting Sputnik as "First Satellite" but it got rejected again, bit annoying really given that they've accepted space telescope entries that are obviously Hubble, at least one other Sputnik, and a fair few space shuttles. But hey ho, at least I got one entry in.

Edited by NathanR

Here are a few contest entries that caught my eye, including one I saw posted here on EB not too long ago! 

Alien Fighter by JBB_777

Spoiler

5087261-01-A625vQZupV_LKw-thumbnail-full

Classic Rocket by Mickey Mouse

Spoiler

5081303-Rocket_Flying_2_-_Copy-HCDeRwNb1

Cosmic Slingshot Rocket by Dalmaster

Spoiler

5091617-Rocket_Flight_Final-lZTZ4-VOxhQa

Lego Mtron monowheel by LMF1999 (a.k.a. @LegoMonorailFan)

Spoiler

5094927-39541831531_a53bca0299_c-iYQCLvw

Does anyone know if you are allowed to enter multiple times? , I thought it would specify in the terms and conditions but I didn't spot it.

On 24/01/2018 at 3:18 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

:laugh: That one looks like a pimped version of my entry.

4 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

Does anyone know if you are allowed to enter multiple times? , I thought it would specify in the terms and conditions but I didn't spot it.

It appears you can indeed enter several times. It isn’t stated in the contest rules, but in the general FAQ for Ideas Contests:

Can I submit multiple entries?
You can submit multiple entries to the contest, but only one entry per person will be considered when winners are selected. This means you cannot win multiple prizes with multiple entries.

Source: https://ideas.lego.com/contest_faq

Here are a few Classic Space entries I found that I'd like to share here:

LL2019 Interceptor by Armorbearer470

Spoiler

5116184-Classic_Entry_1-bX9Nx3YSw6Sq-Q-t

Classic LEGO Space Microfighter by JPbricks

Spoiler

5113650-ship1-MwAoYbr7oX2Yvg-thumbnail-f

Encounter on Blorp Ridge by rjtheroux

Spoiler

5116850-Space_rev_2b-354QxyfME2a4YA-thum

12 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

That one looks like a pimped version of my entry

Actually, the main reason I really like that entry is because not only does it utilize that one canopy part only seen in 8970 Robo Attack, but it recolors it in Trans-yellow. :smug:

8 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Actually, the main reason I really like that entry is because not only does it utilize that one canopy part only seen in 8970 Robo Attack, but it recolors it in Trans-yellow. :smug:

If they made it as a gwp it would certainly be one I'd try to get, though my favourite of your suggestions would have to be Blorp Ridge. (though if they made it I'd fear that they'd change that part as it would be a big recolour for only one small set).

16 hours ago, Tron Of Black said:

It appears you can indeed enter several times. It isn’t stated in the contest rules, but in the general FAQ for Ideas Contests:

Thanks, I'll be sure to make some more entries then.

Guess what @Digger of Bricks...I entered!

Although I submitted with only two hours to spare so if they find a reason to reject me I probably won't be able to resubmit. Also I kind of regret using lego baseplates as a background because it looks kinda crappy. But I was rushing to meet the deadline.

My entry

5194030-IMG_0253-wNn8ijrnqnlqnw-thumbnai

There are just SO MANY excellent Classic Space themed entries on this contest!

Classic Space micro display by @spaceman76

Spoiler

5171449-IMG_5830-5mRD6dWJMtdEWQ-thumbnai

LS933M "Bumblebee" Maintenance Drone by VorpalRyu

Spoiler

5191820-li_moments_in_space_-_maintenanc

Micro Classic Space Base by vedosololego

Spoiler

5194480-micro_space_classic-F2TfSo2K1Ixl

Classic Space Hanger by ThomasW

Spoiler

5138512-SpaceContestModel10e-YUNeu2B9h08

Classic Cruiser by Klikstyle

Spoiler

5193629-Classic_Cruiser_s-BevGMFph83WTNA

Cosmic Sentinel by drclark1973

Spoiler

5165116-cosmic_sentinel_frnt_qtr-zsr5WK1

7 hours ago, danth said:

Guess what @Digger of Bricks...I entered!

Although I submitted with only two hours to spare so if they find a reason to reject me I probably won't be able to resubmit. Also I kind of regret using lego baseplates as a background because it looks kinda crappy. But I was rushing to meet the deadline.

Don't worry, it made it, and it looks excellent!!! :thumbup: :snicker:

5 hours ago, danth said:

I think these contest entries look pretty cool:

Sh*t, how did I miss all three of these? I LOVE all of them! *oh2*

Nick Nova huh? :head_back:

On 1/24/2018 at 8:55 AM, LegoMonorailFan said:

I forgot to add tags to my entry before submitting it, and I don't think I can add them now. :facepalm:

If you like M-Tron, here a two cool entries you might like:

M-Tron Spaceship by Brickpiler

Spoiler

5191968-Mtron-9fho6XAdXEEvRA-thumbnail-f

M-TRON and BLACKTRON Brickheadz by Miro78

Spoiler

5155781-LegoInSpace-Brickheadz-9ppdwwJYk

Space Cruiser by Masterbrickz

Spoiler

5187029-1_space-cruser-InQX1L5hI99yyA-th

The Starskipper by BrickinNick

Spoiler

5193494-MainPic--fbyR0HQrKI5cg-thumbnail

Star Hornet one by ruimrbranco

Spoiler

5139352-Spacecraft1-mC9THMP_x4ag1Q-thumb

The Golden Goose by RocketWrench

Spoiler

5177211-SpaceComp-0IgPGqSecv0G-g-thumbna

38 minutes ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Nick Nova's Spaceship is done by Perijove. The same guy that designed the Curiosity Rover. To cool!

Say, that is cool! 

Speaking of who's who, two of the last entries I mentioned here on my prior post happen to be submitted by EB users, specifically @vedosololego and @drclark. Here's a topic just posted by drclark on his entry:

On 28/01/2018 at 11:01 AM, Agent Kallus said:

I'll be sure to make some more entries then.

Or maybe not :tongue: 

As the time for entering is over and it has now moved onto the crowd vote.
May the best moc win (or the one with the goat because who doesn't want a goat :wink:).