Ayrlego

The Cats of Cascadia: A paper for the Royal Society of Natural Philosophy

Esteemed colleagues of the Royal Society of Natural Philosophy,

It has been my privilege to spend the last few months in the majestic city of Myzectlan on the Isle of Cascadia. There is much here to interest the society, and indeed I have been able to devote some of my time to a study of the large feline species for which the island is known. I have attached some sketches with some preliminary notes for your review.

I have identified what I believe are three unique species of cat, although I suspect that two are probably the same species, or at least a sub-species. Further study will be required on this point.

I will begin with the two cats that I believe are endemic to the region. Firstly, there is the jaguar.

37146265091_ea263260f6_c.jpg

This species is similar to the leopard of the old world, although the examples I have sighted appear larger and heavier and their behavioural and habitat characteristics more closely resemble those of the tigers found in the Mokolei Empire.

Next is the panther, which like the panthers of the old world I suspect to actually be jaguars born without the distinctive spotted patterns and to have a uniform black coat. 

37159660881_e107d88049_c.jpg

Lastly is the rarest but perhaps most interesting of the big cats, the tiger. Larger and more aggressive than the native jaguars and panthers, Myzec legend says this cat is not endemic to the island, but was introduced by traders from the west at the height of the feline cult that was perhaps ultimately responsible for the decline of their civilisation. I strongly suspect the examples I have seen are indeed introduced species, probably introduced from the Mokolei Empire hundreds of years ago. This theory if proven would indicate the Myzec parent civilisation were strong sailors and traders, and that contact between the New World and old pre-dated recent discoveries.

36452934463_2c3ed97e8a_c.jpg

------------------------------------

Full MOCs:

36452938563_a1e9e58dce_c.jpg

36474688133_cf33d6a2af_c.jpg

36488690853_e5b25421d2_c.jpg

I had a heap of BoBS stuff I was meant to build on the weekend, but instead got distracted with something a bit different. I've been wanting to show off my cats, and as Dirk is about to leave Cascadia, decided that if he was ever going to produce a scientific paper, now should probably be the time! Enjoy!

Great way to showcase your cat collection!  The idea of a "scientific paper" is a really good one!  These are some neat vigs too, I'm not sure if I like the tiger or the jaguar one better!

Fantastic builds! Each vinigerette really shows off your skill, to, well pretty much do anything at this point. I don't think I've seen you build a spaceship though. :tongue:

I might need to send the WTC to do some poaching! Tiger pelts must go for a lot!

I really like that tree the panther is climbing! The vegetation is great in all of them, and the three different scenes for the three cats is a great way to portray them. 

I agree, the idea of a scientific take is really something different and adds a lot of atmosphere to the builds. Very good! :classic: The vignettes themselves are well done, detailed and nicely diverse showing each cat in their typical habitat. Really lovely builds!:classic:

Lovely!

Best MOC: jaguar. Best shot: panther. Best feline: tiger.

Edited by Elostirion

I love how you have chosen to show off your big cats! I think the panther in the tree is my favorite of the builds (but they're all good).

I hope your paper is well received back at the Society. :thumbup:

12 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Great way to showcase your cat collection!  The idea of a "scientific paper" is a really good one!  These are some neat vigs too, I'm not sure if I like the tiger or the jaguar one better!

Thanks Kai! I think we need more science and discovery!

11 hours ago, Mesabi said:

Fantastic builds! Each vinigerette really shows off your skill, to, well pretty much do anything at this point. I don't think I've seen you build a spaceship though. :tongue:

I might need to send the WTC to do some poaching! Tiger pelts must go for a lot!

Thanks Mesabi, I've never tried sci-fi, maybe one of these ship-tembers I'll give it a go, not this year but! I imagine tiger pelts would fetch a good price, although I hope they are not driven to extinction on Cascadia because of it!

6 hours ago, SilentWolf said:

I really like that tree the panther is climbing! The vegetation is great in all of them, and the three different scenes for the three cats is a great way to portray them. 

Thank you Silentwolf. I was struggling to come up with a third scene, I was going to do a tree for the jaguar but things just went in a different direction! Then the panther tree went through multiple different versions before I settled on that one. The branches are still a bit thin, and it's a pity the panther can really do a lying down pose!

5 hours ago, Littleworlds said:

I agree, the idea of a scientific take is really something different and adds a lot of atmosphere to the builds. Very good! :classic: The vignettes themselves are well done, detailed and nicely diverse showing each cat in their typical habitat. Really lovely builds!:classic:

Thanks Littleworlds!

5 hours ago, Kodan Black said:

I'm partial to the tiger one as I think the contrast of bamboo and the orange works fantastically. Great builds all though.

Thanks Kodan, the colours in that one were difficult to get right as the pictures were a bit dark. When I first saw the tiger and that it was bright orange I wasn't sure about it, but I admit that it has grown on me.

5 hours ago, Elostirion said:

Lovely!

Best MOC: jaguar. Best shot: panther. Best feline: tiger.

Thanks Elos - I owe you to the fact I even have a tiger! After seeing yours I needed one!!!

5 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

I love how you have chosen to show off your big cats! I think the panther in the tree is my favorite of the builds (but they're all good).

I hope your paper is well received back at the Society. :thumbup:

Thank you Capt Wolf, I sure the paper will be well received, although it's brevity will doubtlessly be commented on!

The tree that panther climbs is impressive, cool water effect in the picture showing a jaguar and the bamboo are very well built, it made me wanting to throw in a panda.