Sign in to follow this  
lightningtiger

MOC - Modular Hardware Store

For a while I thought not of posting any new designs online, but then I thought I enjoy designing Lego projects so..........

4715197-o_1bnffpdak1td31edar1voi7jejc-jY4715205-modular_hardware_store_2017_view4715201-modular_hardware_store_2017_view

To save time here I will just copy and paste from my Ideas page so I will now say my usual Brick On !

Lucky number three perhaps, well say hello to my latest creation.

A single storey farm hardware store with an exterior based on designs from the Edwardian era (early 20th century) or better know in Australia as the Federation era.

The colours of the walls, the curved windows the exterior trim on the front of the building all point towards that era.

There is a lot of brick and Technic built fixtures and merchandise in this set idea with two minifigs, the store manager and a customer visiting the big city from the country.

Brick built display counters feature various pieces of merchandise and behind the counter is a bookcase where catalogues, order books and account ledgers are housed.

All the tools on offer hang on wall racks, there are boxes of fencing materials and a barrel of heavy chain, plus under the counter galv wire coils for sale also.

The part count would be between 500 and 600 pieces, a cost price of around 100 dollars US.

I usually have a brand name for any of my designs, but this time none so please feel free to suggest a name for this particular company.

This design is only 16 stud wide so it can sit between the detective's office and assembly square modulars to keep the spacing between street light poles the same

Lego Ideas link - Modular Hardware Store

Just now, SalvoBrick said:

Very nice design for a modular :thumbup:

Thank you my friend, there might be more coming soon.

Just now, Brickviller V2 said:

Cool, the interior looks splendid as well :thumbup:

Thank you, I take pride in my interior designing.

That's another sweet little hardware store. I always enjoy your interior details. The same goes for this one!

38 minutes ago, peedeejay said:

That's another sweet little hardware store. I always enjoy your interior details. The same goes for this one!

Thank you for your kind words.

Nice little store.  I especially like the entrance with those rounded display windows.  Definitely reminds me of a lot of old retail storefronts from the early to mid-20th century.  I like the way you did the interior shelving as well.  :classic:

The interior walls seem a little bare, some shelves with more tools would be a big improvment

3 hours ago, yg33 said:

The interior walls seem a little bare, some shelves with more tools would be a big improvment

Ah, you see this building has a high ceiling, all the merchandise is at mini figure level. I used photos of old hardware stores to base my interior on. Thanks for the comment. 

Brick On! 

2 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

I was hoping it was you  Tiger :laugh:

Nice hardware store and beautiful details for the goods! :wub:

Thank you my friend, yes it's me and I'm now working on another single storey modular so keep watching. 

Brick On! 

8 hours ago, deraven said:

Nice little store.  I especially like the entrance with those rounded display windows.  Definitely reminds me of a lot of old retail storefronts from the early to mid-20th century.  I like the way you did the interior shelving as well.  :classic:

Thank you for your kind words, sorry I missed your comment earlier. 

Like I wrote in reply to the question of bare walls, I base my shop fitting designs on actual ones from the early part of the 20th century.

Brick On ! 

48 minutes ago, gotoAndLego said:

The red and black combination and sign looks very good.

Thank you my friend, I'm very happy with the way it has turned out.

Though it has only climbed to 37 supporters, I keep my fingers crossed.

I have already started another modular themed build, a gas station so keep watching and Brick On  !

Might I suggest you build them in such a way that you can remove one or more walls to better photograph the interior. I left one side of my last MOC, the GO! Scooter shop open because it would save bricks and you don't see that when up against another modular. You can always use those big trans-clear panels to seal it.

Edited by gotoAndLego

4 hours ago, snaillad said:

Nice colour combinations, art deco styling is always a winner with me!

Thank you for your kind words, coming from the master of modulars I am grateful and humbled. I could only wish to create marvels like yours.

My gas station design is well underway, only the interior, gas station sign and perhaps a vehicle are to be done now.

Brick On ! 

I took this shot so it was in the distance along side of something else.......

4763252-modular_hardware_store_2017_view

Yeah, the sun was in the wrong position LOL, more pictures up soon.

22 hours ago, travisridenour said:

this is great i love the colors

Thank you, I chose those colours just to be different and it works well.

14 hours ago, TheBuildingMinifig said:

Hello @lightningtiger! I have featured your moc on my youtube show "Moc Monday", where i review and take a look at mocs, please do check my video out! 

Thank you "TheBuildingMinifig" for adding my creation to your Youtube channel.

Now to answer your "Cons" list.

First, the store design is to go between the standard 32 wide buildings and Assembly Square which is of course 48 stud, the street lamp positioning would be out of whack if a 16 wide doesn't go in between them.

The sign is actually based on a logo used by Wesfarmers back around fifty years ago, oh it's a farm hardware store - you judge that by the water pump and heavy duty tools inside on display.

All my current and future modulars will be designed to fit in a city or rural town setting.

Now the backyard, well not much to go there I guess an empty crate or three could of gone there.

8d58-12af-5707-919c-6baa9f3b32f0.jpg

Okay so above is the picture I used to gain ideas on what to put inside, note 90% of the merchandise is at or under head height. I was thinking of adding a row of shelves though I must keep in mind with the rest of the modulars released by Lego sometimes less is more (just look at the music shop in the AS).

Now I was trying to avoid producing too many stickers, I have recently purchased a new kind of sticker material and I'm trying to get used to it.

Posters have crossed my mind, though I would need to create them in LDD transfer then to MS Paint and go to town on them to rendering, etc., to get them right.

I'm grateful for the feedback, please check out my gas station project if you like.

Brick On ! 

Edited by lightningtiger
spelling error