HorcikDesigns

[MOC] Jeep Wrangler Expedition - Update: Instructions and manual version

I like the nose, tires and rims of the 2nd one. I think that you should keep the roof rack and the antenna.

10 minutes ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

And maybe a more off-road tread pattern.

What he said. Also don't compromise on performance and traction. I saw the video where you won, if the new version is not going to outperform the old one, then IMO it's not worth doing. And i think that you should do the mad version of it...

On 9/29/2017 at 12:54 PM, HorcikDesigns said:

Fab Fours Legend (if I remember correctly)

...if not as a mod on this one, then as a separate MOC. It would be a shame to see that idea go to waste.

Thank you! I am glad that you like it. 

@Aleh and @Leonardo da Bricki : When i compare the two updated versions, I like the with smaller but wider tires more. But the current original LEGO 81mm tires (from first post in this topic) are too unrealistic. For me this pattern/tread on the 3rd party tires is offroad enough (so far). It has better grip, it is not too hard, and in case I would need little bit softer, I can always remove the foam from them. Nonetheless, I agree that aggressive tread would be nice, but it was not availible when I ordered these rims with tires. Maybe I'll check it later

@pagicence :The roof rack is something that is necessity for the expedition event, but here it acts like some kind of design-breaker. I wanted to go for some kind of Jeep-Mopar Moab safari concept (?) look in this one. The race was aimed more for endurance than offroad capabilities, and in the hill-climb before the end my front HUB and CV joint reached it's fatigue level, so my victory has some blemishes... Smaller and more adhesive tires with updated axles (with U-joints) act even better, so the performance was improved with this MOD.

The Fab Fours project is not completely declined as a future MOC. I have also had some sketch chassis and body for it assembled this winter, but it performed poorly, so I left interest. Because of use of huge wheels (108mm in diameter) that causes smaller traction force on wheel (large radius for output torque on axle) (in case i would like to stick to simplicity in the geartrain), and more stress on U-joints and gears, so it would require use of portals or planetary reductions, thus larger steering arms and some changes in body in order the wheels do not collide with the fenders, so it would make from this MOC just another brick in the wall (ha, ha) of slow rock crawlers. Right now I unfortunately feel slightly annoyed by all of existing crawlers.

Welcome to the dark side of LEGO purism :wink:

waiting for new version of Jeep. It is always a challenge and fun for me to improve previously designed model. And I would like to see your updates too:classic::thumbup:

Edited by rm8

47 minutes ago, rm8 said:

Welcome to the dark side of LEGO purism :wink:

waiting for new version of Jeep. It is always a challenge and fun for me to improve previously designed model. And I would like to see your updates too:classic::thumbup:

Thank you for invitation :D Your Video about rims persuaded me to try these rims. :D

Updates are related mostly to body, I wanted more realistic proportions and opening doors. 

12 hours ago, HorcikDesigns said:

Thank you for invitation :D Your Video about rims persuaded me to try these rims. :D

Updates are related mostly to body, I wanted more realistic proportions and opening doors. 

Madoka's design is what you need:wink:

8 hours ago, rm8 said:

Madoka's design is what you need:wink:

I have some sketch- builds finished yet, but I also want to let there some personality from my original version, because, maybe I did some mistake, but the new body looks too bulky for me to be satisfied. 

I'm not sure if I ever came across this build, but oh my, this is amazing! I love the color scheme, it adds to the brutality and ruggedness of the Jeep.

Well, modified version is ready to hit the road. Eh, hit off-road.  I do not plan to make on-road test. I plan to make video of the modified version sometimes during summer. Should I find new environment for it, or go back to the pond from the original video?

29174070398_f695a96bf5_c.jpgModified heretic

41235511230_63b4019b1e_c.jpgModified heretic

42327253744_e6f036295e_c.jpgModified heretic

42327263564_93acd12231_c.jpgModified heretic

Edited by HorcikDesigns

Proper. Extended Madoca’s body suits it well. Did you make it detachable or is that not possible with your design? Any chance you will put the same spare wheel as other 4?

42 minutes ago, pagicence said:

Proper. Extended Madoca’s body suits it well. Did you make it detachable or is that not possible with your design? Any chance you will put the same spare wheel as other 4?

Thank you! Right now is detachable is only the roof, but rebuilding it to make modular and detachable whole body is really good idea.
I have no more RC wheels and tires, so no. what's more, I do not want to have there in the back larger wheel than the current one.

Have you consider putting a spare wheel with a more tire like pattern? Maybe 15413, it's the similar size. This blocky one looks to me that it belongs in the previous century. This is from purely esthetic point of view.

Hi, sorry for bumping old topic, but I made instructions in form of .lxf file for this model and uploaded it to Rebrickable. It is not free, but the file is divided into modules that will help with assembly. 

It use two L motors for steering and winch and another two for propulsion. the gear ratio is 1:0,12 (or 3/25), so it is really heavy duty offroader.

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-28281/Horcikdesigns/offroader-for-overland-adventure/#bi

Photo of real thing that was used for Kostky Trophy expedition race. (This version used 2-speed transmission, but this setup was too unreliable for paid instructions, thus was replaced with direct drive with "crawler gear ratio" )
800x515.jpg

The file is divided into simple groups. 

800x430.jpg

For the custom rollcage you'll need to cut some pneu-tubes and rigid hoses with metal wire inside them to help them to keep required shape.

The model looks best on old 81mm tires or on some 3rd party tires.

Edited by HorcikDesigns

Hi again, 
I made also a manual version of this car.
Instructions and more pictures.
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-29001/Horcikdesigns/jeep-wrangler-manual-version/#bi

I would love to see this MOC (Rc or manual) in blue or dark azure. :D

It features HOG steering, bunch of necessary accessories, V6 under the hood, and two live axles with differentials, opening doors that reveal detailed interior and huge luggage compartment and fake winch.
it is modular like original Jeep, so you can easily take down the roof and doors.

800x594.jpg

800x504.jpg

800x809.jpg

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

Edited by HorcikDesigns

Wow. I am not big into the offroad cars thing, but out of all the ones I have seen so far, this has to be one of my favorites. Mean looks, impressive performance and a clean body and color choice, without any blue Pins messing up the look.  Nice.

15 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

Wow. I am not big into the offroad cars thing, but out of all the ones I have seen so far, this has to be one of my favorites. Mean looks, impressive performance and a clean body and color choice, without any blue Pins messing up the look.  Nice.

Thank you. I am glad you like it.
For the RC version I tried to get rid of all of blue pins on the body, in the chassis it was not a good idea due to high stress in some parts of it.