Sign in to follow this  
MattL600

[MOC] Lego centrifugal water pump

Man, I procrastinated so hard before making the video :3 These bad habits gotta stop :)

In this video I tried for the first time making 'instructions', quotation marks because if you can tell, it was me taking it apart in reverse ;)

I spend a day on this thing, having to test it etc, here is what I came out with!

Not sure if this is the right topic, though the pump is quite technical :3

Mods, you can move it if you want too :)

Edited by MattL600

That works suprisingly well :thumbup: I always thought that the casing must be round and very tightly fitted to the impeller to get any sort of efficiency.

Wouldn't it be much more efficient if you used arched bricks inside to leave less empty space around the turbine?

1 hour ago, Davidz90 said:

That works suprisingly well :thumbup: I always thought that the casing must be round and very tightly fitted to the impeller to get any sort of efficiency.

That's exactly what I was thinking.  I'm also surprised the non-angled blades manage to pump water instead of just creating turbulence.

This would be really cool to see in some nature-themed or victorian age diorama or something as the waterfall. Think of it....a real waterfall all made out of lego....in a real moc.

I made something very similar to that, and put it on floats for a LEGO boat race. It came last of the finishers (but at least it finished!) but generated much discussion.

9 hours ago, Sariel said:

Wouldn't it be much more efficient if you used arched bricks inside to leave less empty space around the turbine?

I used roof tile things in the inside :)

11 hours ago, Sariel said:

@5:05

Now THAT is powerfull! It would be interesting to calculate the efficiency - the water mass per second (in kilograms) * 9.81 m/s^2 * pump height (metres) should give approx. mechanical power in watts, neglecting the kinetic energy of water. Then, one can compare it with electric imput power.

In this case (25cm, 10 litres/minute), it would be about 0.4 Watts.

This site confirms this value (I had to multiply the flow rate by 1000 because result cannot go below kilowatts)

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pumps-power-d_505.html