Roebuck

Latest news about Lego animal moulds

1 hour ago, Black Falcon said:

Oh with the Aarakocra, I´ve read through the list 3 times and everytime I didn´t find the dog lol.

I feel like I’m having to learn a new language to keep up with this CMF. Assuming the animals are ‘useful’, as with the French Bulldog in the Space series, I think it’s a pretty solid commitment from Lego making sure we get accessible critters in CMFs, even when they’re not standard ones. 

4 hours ago, Black Falcon said:

I wish they would do that - but at the same time I fear it aswell, because I would be highly exited about it but at the same time, I could also be very disappointed, if it doesn´t turn out to look really good - and especially looks really like a wolf and not like another dog.

I would expect a new mould for it, since all the existing moulds look to much like dog. Though I agree it might be not that easy to design a mould that really makes us say, yes that is a wolf, not a dog. After all Lego isn´t doing a scale copy of it but is doing a legolook version.

Trying not to get my hopes up for a wolf, but it’s interesting what details people pick up when we get leaks. To me ‘dog’ ( as with ‘bird’ ) just implies someone wasn’t interested in the dog here, rather than any assumption we can make, since the level of detail on the characters is much better.

17 hours ago, Accio Lego said:

It will be interesting to see which ‘bird’ and ‘small dog’ make an appearance here. I think the terrier fits the context better than the French bulldog, chihuahua, or the dachshund, but we also have two puppy molds that fit the description as well. For the bird, we all think of the songbird as the generic bird, but just plain ‘bird’ also covers molds like the Falcon that hasn’t been seen since its introduction. 

This. I’m surprised the falcon hasn’t had a recolour for the Medieval village set, but this would also be a likely place to see one. Assume it’s not gonna be a parrot, a penguin or a flamingo …

1 hour ago, williejm said:

I feel like I’m having to learn a new language to keep up with this CMF. Assuming the animals are ‘useful’, as with the French Bulldog in the Space series, I think it’s a pretty solid commitment from Lego making sure we get accessible critters in CMFs, even when they’re not standard ones. 

I am actually surprised how much details they are putting into this series, given how many new parts we are expecting and the overall setup in general. Like the Aarakocra for instance gets two new moulds for head and wings but is also getting a companion but the dino costumes got no accesoires at all. Speaking about the Ranger, I do wonder why they took the choice to make this one a ranger. I mean, he gets a bow, so it will be the typical Archer Ranger, which would mean they either skip on the quiver - or it is added to the wing mould. I would honestly prefer if it would just not have a quiver in this case, since you can better use the Aarakocra or just the wings for other Classes/purposes then.

Trying not to get my hopes up for a wolf, but it’s interesting what details people pick up when we get leaks. To me ‘dog’ ( as with ‘bird’ ) just implies someone wasn’t interested in the dog here, rather than any assumption we can make, since the level of detail on the characters is much better.

Yeah, honestly, I don´t think we will get a wolf either, because if it would be a wolf, I don´t think they would mention it as a dog. The same kinda goes for the bird, though it could also be that they just called it bird because the didn´t know whether it is a eagle, falcon etc. We will see when it comes out.

This. I’m surprised the falcon hasn’t had a recolour for the Medieval village set, but this would also be a likely place to see one. Assume it’s not gonna be a parrot, a penguin or a flamingo …

Well if we are looking at the set, pretty much most of the budged went to the minifigures with it. Honestly, I wouldn´t mind to get the falcon back sometime but for this set I am happy they didn´t include it in this set, because I´d rather have them doing something else with that budget instead.

31 minutes ago, Black Falcon said:

Well if we are looking at the set, pretty much most of the budged went to the minifigures with it. Honestly, I wouldn´t mind to get the falcon back sometime but for this set I am happy they didn´t include it in this set, because I´d rather have them doing something else with that budget instead.

I kinda assumed that the owls in the leaked image might have been stand-in hints for a falcon or two.

DnD CMF already seems to have great potential to be popular as all army builders, plus appeal to those keen on castle, history, fantasy & sci-fi figures too.

34 minutes ago, Black Falcon said:

Yeah, honestly, I don´t think we will get a wolf either, because if it would be a wolf, I don´t think they would mention it as a dog. 

Aye, agree. Though we must never forget that the first ever Lego sheep turned up in a Mickey Mouse set out of the blue, so who really knows? 🙃

17 hours ago, williejm said:

Pfffh! I don't know enough about D&D so I'm telling myself the characters exploring these dungeons are often accompanied by a flamingo companion, particular coral-coloured ones! :-D 

5 hours ago, lifeinplastic said:

Pfffh! I don't know enough about D&D so I'm telling myself the characters exploring these dungeons are often accompanied by a flamingo companion, particular coral-coloured ones! :-D 

Valid. 

I want a coral-colored flamingo with a gay guy in bright pink bath suit!  Just saying out of randomness. 

Do not look like the monkey game has more than 1 monkey (and a frog)..

2 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Where you seeing this ?

2 hours ago, Roebuck said:

The exemplar games aren’t necessarily going to show all the included parts, but yes, it looks like it’s more of a cooperative building game than something that would have animals to represent each of the players. 

Animal parts aside, I’m interested in seeing more details - it looks like the gameplay could be pretty fun

Not only the MTS that the designer could not include the animals they wanted:
https://www.brickfanatics.com/i-want-army-squirrel-lego-snow-white-designer

They are crazy expensive when he had to choose between one deer or the hole well part of the set, no wonder the Icons sets are sorely lacking in the animal mould department :hmpf:

Edited by Roebuck

18 hours ago, Roebuck said:

They are crazy expensive when he had to choose between one deer or the hole well part of the set, no wonder the Icons sets are sorely lacking in the animal mould department :hmpf:

That's crazy! The well build must be 50+ pieces, how on earth can that be as expensive as a single reused animal mould? I know that prints play a role in piece price, but that seems ridiculous. Very curious to know how this gets weighed by Lego's budgeting department.

On 2/25/2024 at 8:14 AM, Roebuck said:

I guess this explains why we’ve never gotten Squirrel Girl in the Marvel theme - her legions of squirrel minions were prohibitive

On 2/25/2024 at 7:14 PM, Roebuck said:

Thanks for the good laugh at BrickFanatics suggesting people pick up Duplo deer on PaB to add to the cottage display. That'll look great, yep!

LEGO's budgeting department and constraints are nuts sometimes. Of course they could afford to include a deer if they wanted, but it's a company and their tight constraints are how they post big profits for the owners even if it means (sometimes) inferior solutions for customers. I'm not saying that's the case with the cottage, since the set is pretty good and the Minifigures are all done well and not lacking in budget, which was more important than the set including a deer.

In the case of the MTS though, it definitely needs more animals and the set is lacking for it.

5 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

Thanks for the good laugh at BrickFanatics suggesting people pick up Duplo deer on PaB to add to the cottage display. That'll look great, yep!

LEGO's budgeting department and constraints are nuts sometimes. Of course they could afford to include a deer if they wanted, but it's a company and their tight constraints are how they post big profits for the owners even if it means (sometimes) inferior solutions for customers. I'm not saying that's the case with the cottage, since the set is pretty good and the Minifigures are all done well and not lacking in budget, which was more important than the set including a deer.

In the case of the MTS though, it definitely needs more animals and the set is lacking for it.

You're missing the second part of the argument... when Lego anticipates that a certain set will sell well, they will be even more stingy with their inclusions as they know they will just keep raking in profits because a set is just so much anticipated! LOL

They probably thought that the MTS has a wider audience and it is non-licensed. So they cheapened it because they are thinking it will rake in profits, profit, profits...

16 hours ago, hikouki said:

You're missing the second part of the argument... when Lego anticipates that a certain set will sell well, they will be even more stingy with their inclusions as they know they will just keep raking in profits because a set is just so much anticipated! LOL

They probably thought that the MTS has a wider audience and it is non-licensed. So they cheapened it because they are thinking it will rake in profits, profit, profits...

That is not the case at all.  Look at the LKC, viking village, Blacksmith shop, lego did great with those knowing full well they will sell well.  Yeah the Town Square is a miss for some and then there are others who like it.  The others I mentioned were all home runs for them.  I'm not sure how the budget worked out for the Town Square but the designer couldn't put in the animals he wanted and had to make concessions.  Yes Companies have to make profits.  Lego has warehouses, shipping costs, research and development, employees, molds, electricity, taxes, etc to pay for so stuff does add up.  

YES YES YES, the frog finally comes in Olive Green thanks to a Harry Potter set.

With the almost complete lack of farm animals in MTS that was prophesied to carry them on and keep them in production after the Barn & Farm Animals 60346 retired when can we expect them next?

1. Sheep?
  2. Lamb? (so far in production in LKC)
  3. Horse? (so far in production in LKC, Marvel Endgame Final Battle, might turn up in HP or a Disney set next)
  4. Foal?
  5. Cow? (so far in production in LKC)
  6. Calf?
  7. Goat? (so far in production in MTS, might show up in HP or Dino-bait in JP next)
  8. Pig? (might show up in D2C HP set if it is the burrow)
  9. Piglet? (might show up in D2C HP set if it is the burrow)
  10. Hen/chicken (is in the friends farm set and was in BAM last year so not so worried about this one usually pop up somewhere)

Other than a new City farm wave in a few years I do not see how Lego will keep most of them in production :sceptic:

4 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Horse? (so far in production in LKC, Marvel Endgame Final Battle, might turn up in HP or a Disney set next)

Only 1 horse in the coming HP summer sets, descriptions also say a bird comes with a brick-built Buckbeak, Must be a crow from the pumpkin garden, however it assume it is brick-built also, but we can hope :tongue:

While I do agree with the criticisms of the MTS, I feel that the set is suffering for our having actually seen the prelim.
Looking back over the prior Castle Icons sets, many of the same issues show up. The blacksmith ($180) had only two animals (dog, horse) and five new printed elements (BF torso and legs, blacksmith torso, sign, and horse); the LKC ($400) had seven animals (cow, two horses, bird, lamb, two bats, and a frog), 17 new prints (LK torso and legs, LK Lady torso and legs, Forestmen torso, peasant male torso, peasant female torso, eight shields, and two bardings (I am not counting the Yellow Castle crown shield or cow as new prints, as they were reuses from City or CMFs)), and a pack of cloth elements (a cape and two different flags). Also, in both of these sets there is only one printed piece that could realistically have been a sticker - The blacksmith’s sign. 

Comparing this to the MTS ($230), the seven animals (two birds, kitten, goat, squirrel, frog, and bat) and eight new prints (four unique peasant torsos, tax collector’s torso and legs, Wolfpack torso, and oval Lion shield) seem in-line with the pattern already established. Additionally, the MTS has far more patterned elements than either of the previous two did, so LEGO going with stickers here when they did not for the blacksmith makes sense (though is disappointing nonetheless). 
That said, I do think that the lack of at least a horse, a second goat, a second guard, an adult cheesemaker (perhaps reusing the dark green female peasant torso from the LKC), and 1-2 more printed shields (LKC reuses) makes the set feel oddly sparse. This would have been doable, and even if the price were increased to $250, the set would feel more substantial and worth the price as a result. 

Posted (edited)

One more reason why leaks, early videos, game trailers etc are not the best material to judge a product/game/movie or something by.

Plenty of cases where AAA video games turned out very different from the "hype" or "leak" train.

I judge products on the final version , not on something "potentially" good. 

Sure, some game devs are very transparent on their development (like Factorio showing weekly updates in detail on their upcoming expansion), but while knowing LEGO product names / prelims is nice to plan ahead, I don't judge the final product if it doesn't live up to the hype of an unintended leak.

As for Castle sets and horses, I agree there have been few in sets, but times are somewhat better compared to like 2018. Right now at least there are 4 horses available in Pick a Brick , Bestseller at €6 each.

Castle theme is also somewhat due for a new Carriage set, outside of themes like Harry Potter or Lone Ranger, the last double horse carriage was 2011, and 2013 for single horse.

Currently with no modern iteration of a King (in the "icons era"), a Carriage would be a good opportunity for a King figure, more horses (perhaps bring back white horse with barding print), and it would fit within a larger Wolfpack set too as a target for the bandits.

Of course LEGO could be saving a king for something like 6081: King's Mountain Fortress, or 6085: Black Monarch's Castle (first set of Black Knights in 1988, altho monarch presumed dead in 1990 with 6034: Black Monarch's Ghost) , or a Joust set (1584: Knight's Challenge)

Joust set or Carriage, definately seem the way to do horses in a non main-castle set tho.

Edited by TeriXeri

Some of the supposedly retired farm animals have come back in stock on PAB including the Calf, Piglet, Sheep & Sheep Coat.  I think the Calf & Piglet are much cheaper than they originally were based on my old receipts.

I think some of these issues could be alleviated if there were additional castle (or similar) sets available on shelves to accompany the big Icons sets. A small medieval farm with a few animals for $30-50 - for example - would give people a chance to get in on the action at a lower price point.