David Thomsen

Future LEGO Pirates Set Speculation

1 hour ago, Itaria No Shintaku said:

What I heard is that something's cooking for AFOLs. What's that I can't truly tell, I've heard several rumours by different people pointing in different direction.
And one is -Ahrrrrr- one we love.

Tell me, is there any likelihood this may be a somewhat divisive take on something fans love? :shrug_confused:

31 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

If anything, the approval of the Pirate Bay says there is nothing Pirate themed coming

Not necessarily, as it could be something Pirate-related that sharply differs from @paokus's Pirate Bay.

Well if this is something like Nexo Pirates then there wouldnt be much of an overlap with the Pirate Bay

Think about this: they never approve modular LEGO Ideas sets even if the LEGO modular is just 1 set per year. 

But I couldnt be wrong of course. Im sure Itaria knows a lot more than me

17 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Well if this is something like Nexo Pirates then there wouldnt be much of an overlap with the Pirate Bay

Think about this: they never approve modular LEGO Ideas sets even if the LEGO modular is just 1 set per year. 

Yep, that's pretty much my line of thinking. 

The Old Fishing Store is about as closely related to a Creator Expert Modular Building as the Pirate Bay would be to a hypothetical Pirates revival, so I don't think we can conclusively rule out a revival on that basis, even while we remember that there is no solid substance to the rumor.

I was hoping for some info about the future Pirate Bay set, but the current speculation is totally unexpected! I keep my fingers crossed and can't wait for more inside news! :pir-laugh:

On 12/10/2019 at 1:01 AM, Robert8 said:

Hmm so it might be something else?

If anything, the approval of the Pirate Bay says there is nothing Pirate themed coming

Not necessarily..

On 12/10/2019 at 1:24 AM, TeriXeri said:

2020 will also still be close enough to a 30th anniversary of Pirates, they came out July 1989 in UK and September 1989 in US according to catalogues sources on brickset.

The 30th anniversary is this year, not "close enough next year" :sceptic: On the other hand I do not think Lego take into consideration all those anniversary's we fans hope will bring some new sets. The exception seems to be things like SW and minifigs that have come out every year since its release.. If Lego do not reveal anything pirates this year (not very likely now), we can forget about the 30th anniversary, but that do not mean that we will not get any pirates sets next year :wink:

On 12/10/2019 at 3:13 AM, Robert8 said:

In the beginning they "approved" MS made by a fan, but that was before ideas. Why would they approve any sets there now?! They use ideas as a place to get new original ideas, a modular is never a new or original idea it is just a version of a old ongoing theme.. Once a year is probably what marked research say is sustainable for modular buildings :wink:

On 12/10/2019 at 3:46 AM, icm said:

The Old Fishing Store is about as closely related to a Creator Expert Modular Building as the Pirate Bay would be to a hypothetical Pirates revival, so I don't think we can conclusively rule out a revival on that basis, even while we remember that there is no solid substance to the rumor.

I agree, a normal pirates wave wound have and have never had anything like that. If they was planning to include a pirates island of some kind, they can just ship that set and there is no overlap. Or it is not like a huge MF stops a normal MF to be released is there :tongue:

1 hour ago, Roebuck said:
On 12/10/2019 at 2:01 AM, Robert8 said:

Hmm so it might be something else?

Not necessarily..

If there are indeed new Pirates sets in 2020, then why approve the Pirate Bay set in the first place? Planning and making a new line of sets takes around 2-3 years, so if it's indeed coming, they would have considered that when they reviewed the Pirate Bay project. 

This leads me to believe that this will be Pirate-related, but not a traditional Pirate theme. Most likely Nexo Pirates or something like that. In that way, LEGO could have both the Pirate Bay for it's AFOL audience, and a pirate-related big bang theme for it's children audience.

Edited by Lego David

2 hours ago, Lego David said:

If there are indeed new Pirates sets in 2020, then why approve the Pirate Bay set in the first place? Planning and making a new line of sets takes around 2-3 years, so if it's indeed coming, they would have considered that when they reviewed the Pirate Bay project. 

This leads me to believe that this will be Pirate-related, but not a traditional Pirate theme. Most likely Nexo Pirates or something like that. In that way, LEGO could have both the Pirate Bay for it's AFOL audience, and a pirate-related big bang theme for it's children audience.

You could be right, but there is also the possibility that the ideas set fit in really well with the potential other pirate set. E.g. there would have been no problem to release the pirate bay the same year as the 2015 pirate wave was released :shrug_oh_well:
If it is something like nexo pirates I will save money :tongue:

35 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

If it is something like nexo pirates I will save money

For me that will probably mean more buying clearance priced sets for cheap parts and more BNP orders.
I can't wait to see new Blue, Red and Black epaulettes available in bulk at less usurious pricing.
The only downside to my approach is that if we don't support the line it might put the kibosh on Pirates again for another 10-20 years.
Despite the fact that it's the (potentially) Nexo part we object to as opposed to the Pirate part.
Of course if we grit our teeth and support a Nexo Pirate line and it's successful that will most likely mean more Nexo and not more Pirates.

1 minute ago, Masked Mini said:

For me that will probably mean more buying clearance priced sets for cheap parts and more BNP orders.
I can't wait to see new Blue, Red and Black epaulettes available in bulk at less usurious pricing.
The only downside to my approach is that if we don't support the line it might put the kibosh on Pirates again for another 10-20 years.
Despite the fact that it's the (potentially) Nexo part we object to as opposed to the Pirate part.
Of course if we grit our teeth and support a Nexo Pirate line and it's successful that will most likely mean more Nexo and not more Pirates.

If that is the case just buy a lot of pirate bay sets and Lego will get the message :tongue:

Just now, Roebuck said:

just buy a lot of pirate bay sets

Good thinking. In for 4 or 5.
It is the gundeals  AFOL way.

Or we could be getting a minidolls Pirates theme. I have put forward this theory before, and think it may be entirely plausible. Look at the spread of the types of Friends sets in the past few years. If Leaf (14 known set numbers) is an upcoming Pirates type theme, we cannot discount this possibility.

Just now, gedren_y said:

minidolls Pirates theme

You are right, it IS plausible. Friends has had a diving/underwater/ocean/pirate twist lately.
Elves has been cancelled, leaving room for another fictional theme along the same lines.
Also it would not conflict with the Pirate Bay.

I'd be totally down for Pirate-dolls. I keep the bricks, my daughter gets the dolls.

1 hour ago, gedren_y said:

Or we could be getting a minidolls Pirates theme. I have put forward this theory before, and think it may be entirely plausible. Look at the spread of the types of Friends sets in the past few years. If Leaf (14 known set numbers) is an upcoming Pirates type theme, we cannot discount this possibility.

If that happens, I'm out.

Oh god no :ugh: it happened once already with the Elves theme,I don't want to see it happen again with Pirates.

But if that's the case then I'll save more money for the upcoming Harry Potter and Hidden Side sets,so that's something :laugh:

Edited by LOTR34

Arr, that would be kind of meh. On the other hand...

10 hours ago, Masked Mini said:

I keep the bricks, my daughter gets the dolls.

... despite not having a daughter I could live with a similar solution. To be fair: the Friends set usually are good builds, and roughly in minifig scale. So if the colours were halfway decent I would not see it as that bad.

Since when are little girls attracted to Pirates? I always thought that was more of a boy's thing. Unless they make a line about female pirate protagonists, I don't see it happening.

Plus, not even Elves had 14 sets in it's first year...

Edited by Lego David

8 hours ago, Lego David said:

Since when are little girls attracted to Pirates? I always thought that was more of a boy's thing. Unless they make a line about female pirate protagonists, I don't see it happening.

Sir, have you heard about a little movie franchise called Pirates of the Caribbean:laugh: Admittedly that was well over a decade ago, but I think your gender assumptions are a little outdated...

32 minutes ago, TalonCard said:

Sir, have you heard about a little movie franchise called Pirates of the Caribbean?

Of course I did. I have seen all the movies.

9 hours ago, Lego David said:

are little girls attracted to Pirates?

yep.
Might be my influence but my Daughter builds her own ships off the dolphin cruiser hull and a Orcs hull she picked up second hand for small change...at age 8 and 9 respectively.
At 7 we built the Destiny's Bounty together and she hounds me about building more ships with her ever since. Only issue is I've moved on to building freebuilds and I take that way too serious to be a good sport.
So she builds her own. And Dragons. Elves and Ninjago Dragons. She was super bummed when Elves ended. Her reception of the Friends underwater pirate wreck was a bit lukewarm because it's such a crappy build, but she did like the concept.

1 hour ago, TalonCard said:

Sir, have you heard about a little movie franchise called Pirates of the Caribbean:laugh: Admittedly that was well over a decade ago, but I think your gender assumptions are a little outdated...

It's not an assumption, it's a fact that generally, boys will take to Pirates more than girls. And Yes, some girls will like Pirates.

And what does Pirates of the Caribbean have to do with it? Is there a study showing that girls now love Pirates outside of the fact that they're played by Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom?

I suggest that a lot of that perception has to do with gendered packaging and pre-conceived notions.
If it's for BOYS (YUCK!!) then Girls will turn away from it and vice versa. Or they are "shamed" into picking something different by adults.

I would be very curious to see the results of a study in non-gendered packaging and marketing for Lego themes.
Just neutral colour (classic system yellow?) boxes, usual pictures. No pink, no blue, no other social clues.
Let only kids pick sets without adult coaching or comments.

My wife and my daughter both often feel … un- or under-represented.. in themes that are not specifically geared to pink social cues.
I can't tell you how happy they are to see female heads and hairpieces ESPECIALLY hats/helmets with hair!! in regular "Boy" themes.
If lego was to do a pirates run with a more even split of male and female pirates AND soldiers the theme would be a lot more attractive to the female half of the planet.
In the classic Pirate (and Castle) sets if there was a female she was there as a Damsel to be rescued or kidnapped. Or be a wench.
But even if you were to make her your hero then she is utterly outnumbered by plastic men. 

Thankfully TLG has been increasing the female fig content in City over the years. And as more than just diversity figures or as representatives of female dominated professions.
We have female firefighters and cops, miners and explorers, astronauts and scientists. We just need to add Knights, Forestwomen, Soldiers and Pirates.

1 hour ago, Masked Mini said:

We just need to add Knights, Forestwomen, Soldiers and Pirates.

Nexo Knights had Princess Macy and Queen Halbert as very combat-capable knights, Macy learned fighting from her mother the Queen.

Ok, the queen got captured twice in the sets, but either by a large monster (infernox) , or another female (Ruina) .

Ava was a female side character with the knowledge of the "Computer" systems.

Also the villains/monsters had multiple females, at least 5 named villain characters were female + more if you count the statue as well.

So I can see more female characters within Pirates and other Castle themes for sure.

Edited by TeriXeri

2 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Nexo Knights had Princess Macy

You make an excellent point! My daughter has several variants of Macy and Lavaria!
Though the sets themselves didn't excite her too much. She's less into vehicle swooshing and more into dragon swooshing and location based sets I think.

6 minutes ago, Masked Mini said:

You make an excellent point! My daughter has several variants of Macy and Lavaria!
Though the sets themselves didn't excite her too much. She's less into vehicle swooshing and more into dragon swooshing and location based sets I think.

I agree the theme had a large ratio of vehicles vs locations, but I did find the inclusion of some roleplay elements quite nice.

All the 3 castle sets at least had some non-combat areas like a kitchen, dining room, beds or bathtub.

As for Pirates sets, I hope to see more then just combat for sure.

Edited by TeriXeri