EvilTwin

Train-mounted camera

Hello

I see a lot of videos on Youtube of people's train layouts including many where there is a camera mounted on the train itself. Videos like this one  

I am just wondering what cameras people use to do such things?

I guess it's possible to just use a smartphone or something like a GoPro just sitting on top of the train but I wonder if there is a smaller solution that fits more neatly with the train itself? And reasonably priced of course :laugh:

Ideally I want something where I can watch the video live on a monitor as well as record the video on a SD card or whatever.

I am thinking about something like these "Fredi" spy cameras for sale on Amazon but I wonder if anyone has a recommendation?

I have a friend who films HO layouts using his GoPro. If an HO train can fit a GoPro on it, a Lego train should easily take a GoPro. Here is an example of my friend's video to show what a GoPro can pull off:

I am looking for my 3rd camera.  The first I picked up for $20 USD at the NMRA show in Indy. The size was great.  Small enough to fit inside my CoNO engine.  Instructions were in translated English from Chinese.  When I got it to stream it was great (if only in SD) but it only lasted 5 min before it died.  Charging seemed to be hit or miss.  It sometimes worked again but not long enough.   It looked similar to this one:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61xl4mkxQPL._SL1200_.jpg

Next was the Polaroid Wi-Fi camera.  It does HD and lasts for about 90 min between charges.  The problem is it takes 2+ days to recharge.  At least the car I have it sitting on makes it look a bit like a tanker car.  It has been suggested to make a deep sea sub out of it. 

41QP7f5dAYL._AC_US174_.jpg

I really want a micro/spy cam to build into an engine like legoman666 has and that does HD is reliable.  I looked at the Freddi before I bought the Polaroid and decided against it because of all the reviews that showed it having reliability issues.

Edited by pirzyk
Added images

SecurityMan and other companies make small wireless cameras that are powered from 9V batteries. I remember seeing a hobby shop demonstrate them in their trains section many years ago. With the low cost of drones now it might be cheaper to cannibalize a camera from one of those!

In prior years I took footage of the BayLUG layout using a small flatcar with my phone on it: 

cameracar.png

However, it holds the phone such that the camera faces in/out of the layout. This year @codefox421 used some GoPro cameras to shoot footage.

I use a waterproof, shockproof and freezeproof vacation camera in a holder made with Technic beams.  It overlooks the top of the train cars and locomotive in front.  I added some train weight to lower the center of gravity a bit.

traindolly.jpg

For my OO layout, I used a small 'spy' camera; just search Google for 'car keys camera' and it should pop up. They are around 4-5 studs wide. Alternatively, I used a phone on its side, like jtlan, but with a 45 degree mirror. Sure, the footage is flipped horizontally, but it works.

The camera I used originally seems to not be available anymore.  A few years ago, I picked up a cheap camera drone, under $100, and have contemplated pulling out it's internals, camera, WiFi transmitter, and battery, to use in a camera train.  you can probably find replacement drone cameras and transmitters or even mini "spy cams" online for pretty cheap.  Most drone cameras can live stream via a self contained WiFi signal to a device with their app loaded.

Sal
WFB, WI

Go-Pro train mount

My go-pro mount.

Simple bogie with magnetic coupling.

No tiles were sacrificed, it’s a double sided tape mount.

Does live view wireless, and ultra wide.

The camera in the OP's mentioned video is a Sony X3000R. I use it as well. The main advantage of this camera against the GoPro is that it has its lens centered, which the GoPro doesn't have what results in a shot which is not centered on the train track.