Velouria

Review: 41180: Ragana's Magic Shadow Castle

27583381785_521250abe8_b.jpg

Velouria, if you can find the time for it, could you please put the new hood piece on a minifig with a regular torso and head and post the photograph here? I'm wondering how well it does fit...

Did not expect the hoods to fit on minifigs, but they actually fit perfectly. Much better than the other way around.

27423451810_0f68cab61e_b.jpg

Edited by Velouria

Thanks! Was hoping they would fit. Maybe they will release a dark green one for Farran in the next wave... That would be very useful for customs :sweet:

Thanks! Was hoping they would fit. Maybe they will release a dark green one for Farran in the next wave... That would be very useful for customs :sweet:

Farran is constantly getting the short end of the stick when it comes to clothing and accessories. One Elves set I'd like to see would be some sort of clothing/equipment store... maybe that'd be an opportunity to finally release some outfits for Farran.

Good idea, Lyichir!

Or maybe Skyra's big clothing wardrobe room/wing that's seen in the "Hairy Styles" webisode would make a good opportunity to give Farran his year 1 and year 2 capes, plus hood [to go with his year 2 cape].

Good idea, Lyichir!

Or maybe Skyra's big clothing wardrobe room/wing that's seen in the "Hairy Styles" webisode would make a good opportunity to give Farran his year 1 and year 2 capes, plus hood [to go with his year 2 cape].

what webisode are you talking about? I can't see it in here

I can remember that there was much resistance against the first Friends sets when they came out. Because the boxes were pink, and we associate that with insultingly dumbed down toys for girls. But since then, I have found that Friends sets tend to be very good builds, but the Elves sets are a step above that. These are consistently creative and colorful sets that push the limits of what is possible with Lego. It's a shame that these are marketed and perceived as girl's toys- it means that a lot of boys will be missing out on some brilliant sets. I think they are actually very gender neutral.

I don't know about marketting. I know my son (almost-9) is just as interested in Elves sets as the Superheroes and Minecraft when perusing the Lego catalogs. This could be because of his mom and sister enjoying dragons. But he seems perfectly happy to play with minidolls with the dragons and then turn around and use minifigures with the Minecraft set. My daughter (almost-5) is more likely to play with minidolls and minifigures together in the same scene. OTOH, sometimes horses become characters in her play as well. And last night she was the squirrel...

Edited by Sarah

Isn't that grey arm just this? They debuted in 2012 in the Arkham Asylum set, but they immediately took a break until last year... now they're in a few sets, including the TARDIS and in the Gollum Dimensions set.

It actually debuted a year earlier, in 2011 - it's a Ninjago skeleton (Skulkin) arm.

It actually debuted a year earlier, in 2011 - it's a Ninjago skeleton (Skulkin) arm.

I meant in the dark bley color!

Great set and outstanding review! Is this the first time we get a Ragana minifigure/minidoll? I hope they'll make an evil dragon for her in the next wave, a black & violet or black & dark pink dragon would be awesome.

OMG I want this set! $100 is a bit much for me right now though, hope it goes on sale somewhere!! I love the dark fantasy look that this has, it adds another dimension when a lot of the other elves sets are starting to look pretty similar. The purple, pink, and black together look particularly pleasing in particular.

The hood looks excellent on Arwen, too, I'd love to see the piece integrated into some system sets (or at least mocs)

I meant in the dark bley color!

Sorry, it sounded like you meant the piece itself.

As for the set itself, it's great! I wonder if it could be expanded by adding the structure from 41179 and the evil fountain from the Fire Dragon set? One thing that bugs me, though, is the fact that Ragana's throne is located outside the castle tower, which seems kinda impractical.

When I first saw the set,I was amazed. I am not the biggest fan, of the doll-minifigures, but the Elves series has something interesting, and the castle is no exception.

There are absolutely lovely details, and interesting parts in it, and unlike the castle counterparts this castle certainly does not lack furniture.

Definitly a set, to consider buying it and modify it for Maleficent.

The only downside are all those stickers.