VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

I think he's trying to say that Bohrok in the new building system wouldn't be exactly as the old ones, so your negatives don't apply to new Bohrok.

Nor do your theoretical positives apply to newer Bohrok variants, seeing as LEGO probably has no plans to bring them back any time soon.

Also, the Bohrok could totally roll down a hill or across carpet. You have to actually toss them or roll them yourself, they don't move on their own. :laugh:

Well aware of how physics work. From my experiences the Bohrok aren't great at rolling across flooring over small places. The head sticks out at the front and creates a large amount of unnecessary bumps along the way. They aren't exactly Droidekas.

I hope the toa won't have any kind of launchers, as compact the new one with Stormy looks to be I don't want it.

Nor do your theoretical positives apply to newer Bohrok variants, seeing as LEGO probably has no plans to bring them back any time soon.

What theoretical positives? I gave no theoretical positives, or indeed my opinion on G2 Bohrok at all.

Well aware of how physics work. From my experiences the Bohrok aren't great at rolling across flooring over small places. The head sticks out at the front and creates a large amount of unnecessary bumps along the way. They aren't exactly Droidekas.

They roll better than any other Bionicle set. Edited by One Very Agile Cat

A rather vague post from an anonymous user said he knows a guy who has the catalog and would have pictures out in the next Monday. He didn't want to tell much by now but said there is a creature shooting stuff from it's mouth.

I've also heard rumors that Just2good would have some info by/before 8th of August.

There is really nothing to confirm these but I'd predict we get some leaks this or next week anyways. Gonna be exciting.

He didn't want to tell much by now but said there is a creature shooting stuff from it's mouth.

inb4 Ghasts confirmed for next years villain's

Seriously though, that's awesome and sounds a lot like the playtesting rumors. Looking forward to this.

They roll better than any other Bionicle set.

Indeed. The inability of most Bionicle figures to roll was one of the great frustrations of my childhood. I did manage to get Axon to complete four revolutions, while Tuma did three, but that was the best I could get, Bohrok aside.

In all seriousness, the Bohroks' rolling, while rather limited, is still a cool feature. Hardly a selling point, but a nice little bonus.

Edited by Quisoves Pugnat

Indeed. The inability of most Bionicle figures to role was one of the great frustrations of my childhood. I did manage to get Axon to complete four revolutions, while Tuma did three, but that was the best I could get, Bohrok aside.

Reading this next to your avatar was pretty damn funny. :laugh:

On-topic: I think Bohrok are a good example of a snapping gimmick done well. Compared to Skull Scorpion, the Bohrok's gimmick is more streamlined and intricate, wheras Scorpio suffers massively from it's tail's technic tumour. So much going on, so much sacrificed, all for such a simple movement.

What theoretical positives? I gave no theoretical positives, or indeed my opinion on G2 Bohrok at all.

You didn't need to list a positive of new Bohrok to actually have one in your post. If the negatives of the original sets do not apply to a theoretical new Bohrok, then logically speaking what is left over is a positive since there is no inbetween. A new Bohrok is not limited by the faults of its predecessors and can be improved on. That sounds like a positive of developing a new form of Bohrok to me. The functionality of one either will be or will not be better than its original form.

I'm not really interested in discussing a Schrodinger's Cat scenario, so I hope you'll forgive me for not wanting to continue this discussion after this.

You didn't need to list a positive of new Bohrok to actually have one in your post. If the negatives of the original sets do not apply to a theoretical new Bohrok, then logically speaking what is left over is a positive since there is no inbetween.

That doesn't make sense at all.

Logically speaking if those negatives don't apply neither do any positives, since I have no idea what a G2 Bohrok would be like at all because it doesn't exist. My point was simply that a G2 Bohrok would not be anything like a G1 Bohrok, so using them as a basis for assumption is flawed. Then you completely changed it into something more than it was.

A new Bohrok is not limited by the faults of its predecessors and can be improved on. That sounds like a positive of developing a new form of Bohrok to me. The functionality of one either will be or will not be better than its original form.
It doesn't sound like anything, because G2 Bohrok don't exist. All I know is that they wouldn't be carbon copies of the originals if they did.

I'm not really interested in discussing a Schrodinger's Cat scenario, so I hope you'll forgive me for not wanting to continue this discussion after this.

So why did you respond well after my last post on the subject specifically to continue the discussion? Also, this is not a Schrodinger's Cat senario, because a G2 Bohrok doesn't actually exist yet. If it existed but we'd never seen it, that'd be closer, but it still wouldn't be, because someone would have, likely whomever designed it. You're applying quantum physics to cheap plastic toys. Edited by One Very Agile Cat

Wait, so if we get the Toa again what masks will they have? Nuva remakes, molds based more on their current masks, or simply just recolors?

If they are Nuva remakes they better be some drastic remakes, I can't say I was ever a fan of any of those designs. Nostalgia helps, but they are still some ugly designs.

Wait, so if we get the Toa again what masks will they have? Nuva remakes, molds based more on their current masks, or simply just recolors?

My immediate guesses are 1) silver recolors of their currents masks, or more likely 2) completely new masks that still share some resemblance to their 2015 masks.

I don't see Nuva masks being redone; the resemblance to the Mata masks was a throwback to the old BIONICLE and helped recreate the 2001-ish atmosphere. But, especially given that the skullies are nothing like anything we saw in Gen 1, I'm guessing it's new stuff from here on out.

If the Toa do get new masks, I can see the designers looking back at previous masks of theirs for inspiration. just like they did for this year's masks. But I don't think there's any reason to expect straight-up remakes or redesigns of the Kanohi Nuva.

I'd sort of prefer recolors, to be honest. But now that there have been so many recolors of each Toa mask, new molds might actually be more likely. Hard to say.

I freaking want nuva remakes!!!

Why is there so much dislike of the Bohrok? They were released a decade ago...and in that time, they did their jobs well. They could be posed, could be stored, had an action feature that knocked masks off of the toa...what else would you have wanted? Also, you can juggle them in their ball forms. I personally loved the Bohrok...kinda still do.

Also...when last year did we first see Bionicle 2015 set leaks? I really am curious to see what LEGO comes up with for the new toa..or new characters in 2016.

Also...when last year did we first see Bionicle 2015 set leaks? I really am curious to see what LEGO comes up with for the new toa..or new characters in 2016.

We first saw set leaks last summer... but that was a MAJOR fluke that would not have occurred if not for a longtime Bionicle fan who worked at a packaging company contracted for the theme leaking pictures of the displays. Having been in the thick of it during that whole fiasco, I can say for certain that that same individual is not going to risk repeating that.

Besides that, there's just less incentive for potential leakers to put their jobs on the line by leaking confidential pictures. Back then, the excitement had less to do with the subject matter of the sets and more to do with the fact that the long-retired Bionicle theme was coming back in the first place. This year, we already KNOW that we're getting Bionicle sets next year. Blurry early pictures aren't going to do much than give us an extremely vague idea of what we might be getting next year, and as such it's much easier to just wait until better pictures are available. I doubt we'll see any pictorial leaks at least until retailer catalogs are distributed this fall.

If they are Nuva remakes they better be some drastic remakes, I can't say I was ever a fan of any of those designs. Nostalgia helps, but they are still some ugly designs.

My immediate guesses are 1) silver recolors of their currents masks, or more likely 2) completely new masks that still share some resemblance to their 2015 masks.

I don't see Nuva masks being redone; the resemblance to the Mata masks was a throwback to the old BIONICLE and helped recreate the 2001-ish atmosphere. But, especially given that the skullies are nothing like anything we saw in Gen 1, I'm guessing it's new stuff from here on out.

If the Toa do get new masks, I can see the designers looking back at previous masks of theirs for inspiration. just like they did for this year's masks. But I don't think there's any reason to expect straight-up remakes or redesigns of the Kanohi Nuva.

I'd sort of prefer recolors, to be honest. But now that there have been so many recolors of each Toa mask, new molds might actually be more likely. Hard to say.

Mere recolors seem unlikely, since it might seem too unimaginative (though it might work for the intended audience...). Remakes of the Nuva masks could be done, but the 2015 masks also seem to take a little from them (especially Gali's), so they need to be careful to differentiate the two sets of masks. My guess is completely new molds (for example, elemental-looking masks), but with superficial similarities to the ones from G2's first year to maintain the character's identity, kinda like the Hero Factory helmets after Breakout.

On a sidenote, I'd like to see them try some toy concepts from G1 that were sadly axed (Toa of Shadow, Baterra, cyborg dinosaurs...).

Thank you for splitting set and story discussion! It was so hard to follow the 2015 thread.

I want to second that. I'm not all that big into the Bionicle lore, and the 2015 thread got extremely bloated with that, which made checking for set information sometimes a bit frustrating.

On the topic at hand, I'd be curious to see how Bohrok would work in the new system, but I had no problem if they went into another direction again. I wouldn't mind another team of Toa with different colours, for example. Or a mix of Toa and baddies like they did in the later HF years.

(and the TF fan in me would be also happy with minifigure Toa, as that would increase the number of head options for custom TFs)

Somewhat saddening to see ice take a break from the roster.

But yay unique names

But yay unique names

I probably missed it, don't worry. :tongue:

No they are just not shown yet, all elements will reappear next year. :cry_happy: