VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

Some random thoughts! I'll go in-depth on the individual sets later.

Lego shared my thought! Umarak looks great with Uxar. Also: Umarak with Terak. Wow. He looks surprisingly intimidating.

Onua looks great, but I'm disappointed with the asymmetry of his upper arms. His right upper arm is the standard hinge ball joint, while his left upper arm is the new trans-purple bone, allowing his left arm to swing freely left and right (like the SW constraction figs) but the articulation of his right arm is still limited. Easily fixed, but I still can't understand why Lego did that.

Nice to see that Gali uses a system brick to cover her lower back. Here's to more System-CCBS integration.

Onua looks great, but I'm disappointed with the asymmetry of his upper arms. His right upper arm is the standard hinge ball joint, while his left upper arm is the new trans-purple bone, allowing his left arm to swing freely left and right (like the SW constraction figs) but the articulation of his right arm is still limited. Easily fixed, but I still can't understand why Lego did that.

Huh, so it is. That's really odd, and yeah I'll be fixing it, too.

Also that one guy called it, Onua DOES have trans-clear and gold crystal parts, as well as Terak. So you can give some to Pohatu or Lewa if you get extras. :D

Edited by One Very Agile Cat

I'm still digging Umarak despite the wonky legs, probably the first I'll pick up. And kopaka and onua look pretty good, (dat mask on kopaka man) but other then tahu and a couple creatures I'm still getting a meh kinda vibe. Pohatu color scheme is awfully done, lewa isn't as bad, but still not that great. Colors are ok for gali, but build wise I don't like it too much.

Overall I'm not overly impressed, but I don't hate them either. I'll definitely be picking up Umarak and kopaka, and maybe a couple others, but not the whole wave like I did this year. (Then again I didn't plan on buying all of the new toa initially, yet here I am with almost every set of the year. Oops. )

Edited by arc

I love all these sets. I think they're all excellent in various ways....my least favourites are still Tahu, Umarak, and Ikir...but they're not bad sets at all, I just don't like them as much as the others!

Lewa is very well designed. His mask reminds me a tad bit of the Miru Nuva from the sides...must be that curve around the nasal area. I think his chest design is beautiful. The glowing bohrok eyes are a nice little addition, as are all those yellow axle pieces. His combo with Uxar...is not what I expected in that I expected it to look a little cooler...but it's still a great combo. I still dislike Lewa's weapons and the fact that his colour scheme lacks the pretty keetorange from last year. Great set though.

Gali is fantastic this time around. Chest design is perfect, the back has some system parts, the colours are excellent, the mask looks great, and the combo between her and Akida is very fun. I still am not on board with her weapon...but that shouldn't stop anyone from buying her.

Then...there's kind of a three-way tie....or....I don't know what to call it. But I am impressed by Pohatu, Onua, and Kopaka most. Ammo packets, interesting designs, beautiful masks, daring colours, a variety of great pieces, and complex constructions...they are by far my favourite of the '16 sets. I think I give the edge to Onua and Pohatu....but it doesn't matter, as I will be purchasing all of them and their respective creatures together!

Well would'ja look at that.

Opinion hasn't really changed since the last batch of watermarked pics came out. They're all pretty cool, but they also have their faults. Not going to go in depth, but a few thoughts:

Oh man, new eyestalk. Love the shorter ones so much. Better than having a weird thing sticking out the back of their head. Guess this explains why there aren't any green eyes: none were made.

There's something strange with the functions on the creatures. I really see no gear pieces, but there's gotta be a mechanism of some kind. Looks like rotating Ketar's tail swings the arms, but I'm baffled as to how. I'm very intrigued.

The Toa have faults, but overall pretty sweet. Gotta say Lewa's my favorite. Seems the most solid. But those arms look way to short. Wonder if something can be done there...

Combined forms look great. I almost feel any faults with the Toa are made up by the Unity Modes. Even Umarak's combination with the Creatures looks neat. Evil, undead deer monster with flaming wings? Count me in.

Huh, so it is. That's really odd, and yeah I'll be fixing it, too.

Also that one guy called it, Onua DOES have trans-clear and gold crystal parts, as well as Terak. So you can give some to Pohatu or Lewa if you get extras. :D

Thinking about it, I can understand why Lego did that. I suppose the hinge joint is stronger than the original joint, so Onua can better hold up the hammer portion of his staff. But... Yeah, still not digging the asymmetry.

By the way, are there pictures of Kopaka's back? Combining with Melum? All the Toa have a combining picture except for Kopes.

From the pictures, Lewa looks the best and Lewa's color scheme worked the best in among the Toa's. The others are nice too, but their color scheme (especially Tahu) and mask design (Especially Gali and Tahu) looks weird. Onua and Kopaka are now growing on me, and some of the creatures are also nice too.

These are the pictures we've been waiting for, so in-depth and HD. Once again, Umarak's mask is GLORIOUS and Onua looks fantastic.

Am I the only one who's wondering how Uxars wings stay in place ? Aren't those System-wings going to be floppy if they're just connected through pins ? :P I can see how they prevented it with Ikir; but I don't see how they keep the wings straight on Uxar...

-Iben

Am I seeing things or are all 3M axles now yellow?

Damn those chestpieces look fab... Calling dibs on trying both Onua's chestpieces (2015+2016) together :P

Edited by Darking

Am I the only one who's wondering how Uxars wings stay in place ? Aren't those System-wings going to be floppy if they're just connected through pins ? :P I can see how they prevented it with Ikir; but I don't see how they keep the wings straight on Uxar...

-Iben

Same, I can see that becoming a problem sadly.

Am I seeing things or are all 3M axles now yellow?

Umarak clearly has gray axles in his feet, sooo....

Looking at the back the technic integration makes a lot more sense.

Most of the toa look pretty good, gonna have to be the opposite and say I really like Tahu, reminds me of his Nuva form who I have a soft spot for.

Pohatu's upper arms look better but still a mess, and those colours...man. Gonna have to cannibalise a protector maybe to balance it out.

Umarak clearly has gray axles in his feet, sooo....

Mmm you're right... Actually only Lewa and Uxar have them. At first I thought it had to be a new kind of axle piece, but I looked it up and the Wall-E Ideas set introduced them in yellow.

Which still utterly confuses me. Are they yellow just for the sake of adding an accent colour? It's not like thay're that visible, maybe the ones on Lewa's knees... but hey, recolours are nice so I can't really complain.

No need to fear, for I am here!

...to present consistently negative opinions about the Winter 2016 wave of Bionicle!

The Uniters are still uniformly terrible, from the addition of greebly, ugly parts, to the overabundance of technic, to the slavish adherence to a gimmick, and to the genericization of their profiles and designs. Fortunately they still have new colors of parts and new parts that are worth while, or it'd really suck buying them this winter. That torso doesn't look completely useless, for one. And NUVA SYMBOLS.

The Creatures are all still pretty cool, I appreciate the gimmicks they have a lot more, but I appreciate Akida a bit less. Akida doesn't look like it has much going on aside from the gimmick for its Uniter figure.

Umarak is... Pretty neat, I guess? Not as outright bad as the Uniters, but nowhere near the level of the 2015 wave.

Had anyone noticed that the main render for 71311 is really messed up? Melum's white is offset and it creates a pretty nasty effect.

Looking at him in other pictures though, I can really appreciate that they changed the axis of his arms to give him a different function from Terak (It was mentioned earlier that he has a 'hugging' function versus a 'digging' function).

Had anyone noticed that the main render for 71311 is really messed up? Melum's white is offset and it creates a pretty nasty effect.

Looking at him in other pictures though, I can really appreciate that they changed the axis of his arms to give him a different function from Terak (It was mentioned earlier that he has a 'hugging' function versus a 'digging' function).

Yeah, it really sets them apart. I might modify Melum's claws to distinguish them more.

I'm really loving the creatures! I hope Akida has some sort of Technic function, given its Technic mess of a torso. But that's unlikely; the two gatling stud shooters are probably replacements for a proper function.

Yeah, it really sets them apart. I might modify Melum's claws to distinguish them more.

I'm really loving the creatures! I hope Akida has some sort of Technic function, given its Technic mess of a torso. But that's unlikely; the two gatling stud shooters are probably replacements for a proper function.

Akida does have a functioni—by pushing its back forward it can reposition its fins and blasters. Doesn't seem like it'd be that impressive except for when it's combined with Gali, in which case it allows the shooters to flip up over her shoulders.

Akida does have a functioni—by pushing its back forward it can reposition its fins and blasters. Doesn't seem like it'd be that impressive except for when it's combined with Gali, in which case it allows the shooters to flip up over her shoulders.

Ah, that makes sense. I was hoping for something along the lines of it flopping its tail, but I guess that's not feasible given Akida's size. Thanks for that clarification!

Not a placeholder. It was direct trolling from the designers.

I bet that, considering you can't see it in the video, whoever leaked it threw it in to troll the fandom. And it sadly looks like many took the bait.