Sign in to follow this  
Joemmo

[MOC] Kylo Ren's Upsilon Class Shuttle Microfighter

Hello

here's the 3rd of my TFA inspired Microfighter builds - Kylo Ren's Shuttle. H 10.5 x W 10 x D 10 studs in dimension and 111 pieces, though that could be brought down to 100 with a little less greebliness.

26450030904_7dbb5bf29f_z.jpg

It has pivoting wings, a tiny ramp and a couple of stealthy flickfires underneath - plus room for a pilot of course. Kylo or maybe a FO crew member would be more appropriate.

26451829753_d2218c5751_z.jpg

It's a tricky ship to do in Microfighter style because the wings are so huge in comparison to the hull, there's really no option other than to scale them right down if you want to keep inside the 12 stud limit. When the wings are folded out it's obviously a lot wider and generally it looks just a little larger than most official MFs, though not completely out of scale.

26961326252_b05158c911_z.jpg

27035009836_af267eb9c5_z.jpg

26962741912_70300aac54_z.jpg

I did most of the design in LDD and then bricklinked the parts. As usual, real bricks meant for a couple of design changes but actually for the better. It's pretty sturdy and playable as long as you don't force the wings past the stops.

I didn't even attempt to make the wings slide down in the landed position it would have made them either flimsy or very bulky so just kept them in one piece.

26961128552_afae68735b_z.jpg

27055392255_765e2b66f9_z.jpg

27022338786_319c7c901f_z.jpg

That's about all. Comments and critiques welcome!

26987306651_49f07f9269_z.jpg

"Race you, Dad!"

Edited by Joemmo

Nice work. I think you've created a more accurate version than the official version...with approx. 900 less pieces!

hey, thanks very much for your comments & compliments. It's fun working in this scale (and it saves me money on larger projects) so I'm thinking what to tackle next. Either the Alliance Transport or maybe the Finalizer?

I can't see Lego doing an official version of this craft, mainly because they'd almost certainly have to include a Ren minifig which seems unlikely for a set at this price point.

re: the 75104 set, it's strange how wrong they got it but I can only assume the final ship design came in quite late. Maybe they'll release an update if the craft appears in Episode VIII - which seems likely.

Just grabbed the lxf file - my son took one look at your model and has insisted I build it a.s.a.p.!!

Cheers mate

Awesome - I'd love to see photos if you do build them. One small note of caution: you need 8 (4 left, 4 right) of the new 2x2 wedge plates like this in black: http://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?P=24307#T=C and they aren't a very common item so you may need to order them from Bricklink sellers in the Netherlands or Germany. The 4x1 trans red tile is another uncommon part but can be substituted with 2 2x1 tiles instead

Edited by Joemmo