I bought the 8880 set earlier this year, took it apart to get out the parts I needed to build my Actros, the suspension parts , black beams and hinges.

If anyone is interested in rebuilding this car, I have the stickered parts or the wheels stored, let me know.

The wheels are a bit yellowed, but with some hydrogen peroxide they clean up well.

Other parts I have and you might need, can look and see if I have them in stock.

Edited by Dafgek81

I have enjoy your building of the 8880 and can't wait to your next project Clive. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thank you Edwin. It's been a fun build. As for my next project, that'll be the Claas.

Ooh, Claas, can't wait. I've been thinking about getting one, having your comments will be great.

I'm looking forward to building it, looks like it'll be an enjoyable build.

Edited by grum64

Congrats to you for building the 8880... About your next project, the Claas is a great set, but I thought that you were going to build the 8258 first :grin:

Congrats to you for building the 8880... About your next project, the Claas is a great set, but I thought that you were going to build the 8258 first :grin:

Thank you very much.

I may well build the 8258 after the Claas. I'm thinking of alternating future builds between old and new.

Congratulations on completing the 8880. It was an interesting process to watch and almost be a part of.

Just curious, how long do you keep models assembled, or is there a certain number you keep assembled?

I find lately I am continuously building and reboxing. Just not enough room to keep them all.

Andy D

Congratulations on completing the 8880. It was an interesting process to watch and almost be a part of.

Just curious, how long do you keep models assembled, or is there a certain number you keep assembled?

I find lately I am continuously building and reboxing. Just not enough room to keep them all.

Andy D

Thank you for your kind comments Andy.

Having my shed means I can now keep my models on display. Previously I kept them assembled only long enough for Jake & George to have a play around with & then the model was dismantled, put back into it's box and into the loft it went.

I've got around 65-70 sets I've yet to build/rebuild so it'll be quite sometime before I build anyone of them over & over.

Excellent build Clive, for me this is the all time classic Techinc set and mine has pride of place on display, I could never part with it.

PS Either your photo's have been reversed or you Pudsey has his bandage over the wrong eye :classic:

Thank you for your kind comments Andy.

Having my shed means I can now keep my models on display. Previously I kept them assembled only long enough for Jake & George to have a play around with & then the model was dismantled, put back into it's box and into the loft it went.

I've got around 65-70 sets I've yet to build/rebuild so it'll be quite sometime before I build anyone of them over & over.

In terms of numbers, I'm on par with you (afraid to actually admit the number of sets I have NIB). As for build and rebuild, I only have a few like that, the 42009 in particular. I rebuild that set because it is so much fun to build, not many like that.

I should start building some of my NIB, but I keep getting new sets that I like more. Maybe I need to sell some... Nah, I would just wind up wanting the ones I sold and spend way, way too much replacing them. Maybe I will just trade some of my duplicate modulars for some Technic. Still looking to replace my 8258, had 2, sold 2... Stupid, one assembled, one NIB now I have neither just waiting for you to build after the CLAAS.

Really looking forward to your CLAAS build, it might be my next Technic build, but due to Halloween and Christmas I don't think I will be able to start it until after the first of the year.

Happy building,

Andy D

It's been a true pleasure to follow the build of 8880! Like you, to me it was not a "must have" set, but now I totally changed my mind, thanks to your fantastic pictures and descriptions! Now I have to find a fair deal for it.

My wallet is going to hate me for this, but really looking forward to follow the Claas build!

Excellent build, I love the pictures, now I really want to rebuild my copy!

Before this set came out, the last full size car to come out was this:

1.jpg

and as a kid, I loved that car. It had front wheel steering and suspension using new parts to achieve that, it had a 3 speed gearbox and a V4 engine. It was highly advanced for the time and I loved it. So imagine my joy as a 9 year old boy, opening the catalogue and seeing this:

8880_94_cat_pic.jpg

A V8?! I've never seen before! Drive, suspension AND STEERING all on the same axle, ON BOTH AXLES?! How does that work? And just look at it compared to the previous car! And Oh look, a 4 speed gearbox with a H pattern shifter! how does that work? I am sorry for the large picture size but I really wanted to show my appreciation because following along this build brought back some of those wonderful feelings and somewhat resharpened some hazy memories of those feelings I had as a kid. Thank you for this build :thumbup:

BTW, there is another set from the golden era that also has a wonderful design, 8480:

8480_96_cat_pic.jpg

BTW, weren't sets so much better presented and photographed back then? Sorry, this thread has really brought on the nostalgia in me :classic: .

Edited by allanp

Excellent build Clive, for me this is the all time classic Techinc set and mine has pride of place on display, I could never part with it.

PS Either your photo's have been reversed or you Pudsey has his bandage over the wrong eye :classic:

Thank you. Mine will be around for a while until I decide whether keep it or not. It depends how much dust it starts collecting :classic:

Pudsey got hit in the eye by a flying brick so needed the bandage on the other eye :laugh:

In terms of numbers, I'm on par with you (afraid to actually admit the number of sets I have NIB). As for build and rebuild, I only have a few like that, the 42009 in particular. I rebuild that set because it is so much fun to build, not many like that.

I should start building some of my NIB, but I keep getting new sets that I like more. Maybe I need to sell some... Nah, I would just wind up wanting the ones I sold and spend way, way too much replacing them. Maybe I will just trade some of my duplicate modulars for some Technic. Still looking to replace my 8258, had 2, sold 2... Stupid, one assembled, one NIB now I have neither just waiting for you to build after the CLAAS.

Really looking forward to your CLAAS build, it might be my next Technic build, but due to Halloween and Christmas I don't think I will be able to start it until after the first of the year.

Happy building,

Andy D

I have the same problem. Shelves of BNISB sets ready to be built but then LEGO bring out a set I like and that's it, I buy & build it. And that's what keeps happening. I buy faster than I can build :classic:

As for the 8258, I did the same and instantly regretted it. I was lucky enough to buy a replacement for much less than I sold it's predecessor for. I also sold my 8275 and 8110, happily I've now got replacements for them also.

It's been a true pleasure to follow the build of 8880! Like you, to me it was not a "must have" set, but now I totally changed my mind, thanks to your fantastic pictures and descriptions! Now I have to find a fair deal for it.

My wallet is going to hate me for this, but really looking forward to follow the Claas build!

Thank you for your very kind words. It's nice to know that you've also changed your mind about the 8880. I've gone from not being bothered about it to really really liking it. It's a terrific design.

Excellent build, I love the pictures, now I really want to rebuild my copy!...

...BTW, there is another set from the golden era that also has a wonderful design, 8480...

...BTW, weren't sets so much better presented and photographed back then? Sorry, this thread has really brought on the nostalgia in me :classic: .

Thank you. It's good to hear that you're wanting to rebuild this set after reading my humble efforts. I'd love to be able to write like Jim, Blakbird and others and take pictures of the quality they produce. Oh to be so eloquent and talented.

I've been looking at the 8480 for a while. If I see one at a bargain price I'll buy it.

I love how the older sets were presented. As well as the 8880 with its inner plastic tray, I have the Dirt Crusher and Outdoor Challenger & the feeling you get when you open the box and pull out the polystyrene inner just adds to the excitement of the build and fun to come. Personally I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra when I buy a set to see that sort of packaging return.

Edited by grum64

Readin like a bit of a fan boy there Allan ;)

Fellow admirer of 8865 and reckon i'd have marvelled at it when new.

Attaboy Clive. Admit it, you enjoyed the battle.

Attaboy Clive. Admit it, you enjoyed the battle.

Yes, you said I would and you were right.

Build Day 1 - Days build time 3hrs 15mins / Total build time 3hrs 15mins

Another day, another build. This time it's the 42054 Claas Xerion 5000.

This has been sitting on the racking for weeks and with the 8880 finished I can at long last start to build it.

This one I've been really looking forward too. Browsing through the instructions and watching build videos had heightened the expectation that this was going to be a fun build and with it so far being problem free, that's been the case.

This time I've remembered to take in build photos.

IMG_0728.JPG

IMG_0726.JPG

IMG_0732.JPG

Edited by grum64

Very good to see that you already started on the Claas Clive :thumbup:

I'm pleased to be building it at last.

This one I was looking forward to :wub: . I still don't have this set myself, but following your buildthread will be almost as good :classic:

Always happy to help :classic:

Will be very interesting to follow, I hope to see better pics of the insides (not satisfied with the ones from reviews) :)

Will be very interesting to follow, I hope to see better pics of the insides (not satisfied with the ones from reviews) :)

I'll do my best to show as much as I can.

Edited by grum64

Great choice, it's a very entertaining build. I mentioned this in a different topic, but the fun comes from the fact that this is not a very symmetrical model, from front to back and from left to right. Enjoy!

I've only had one days building so far and just know it's going to be really enjoyable

It's good to be building something that's almost free of repetition.

Build Day 2 - Days build time 2hrs 50mins / Total build time 5hrs 5mins

For reasons explained below, I didn't have as much time to build as I was expecting today so not too much in the way of progress but any progress...oh, you know the rest.

Today's one and only problem was of my own making. I forgot to partially insert the 3L red notched axles into the Axle & Pin Connectors Perpendicular before fitting them to the steering assembly and fitting that to the main assembly. It was a mistake I shouldn't have made as I'd read through the instructions last night to plan today's build so I knew when I had to insert them. Trying to get them in once the assembly had been fitted in place cost me well over an hour of build time. Suffice to say it's not mistake I'll be making again. I hope.

Today's build pics

IMG_0735.JPG

Note below the complete absence of partially inserted 3L red axles above the yellow half bushes :angry:

IMG_0740.JPG

IMG_0744.JPG

Edited by grum64