\Axle pins (and axles in general) have always been made of a softer material than the black or blue friction pins. Axles need to be soft because of the way they slide through slots for installation. The soft material is very noticeable on the new dark bley axle pins when compared to the blue 3L pins.

Oh, good, it's not just me. At least on my Volvo Loader they were worthless in holding the parts they were attached to together, because the pins were soft enough as to slip out of the beam holes.

I've noticed that too with the 3L axle pins. IMO the friction on the pin part is way too poor.

Some of you will be pleased to know that I spent the weekend working on the 1997 models of Technicopedia and made it halfway through. (I started with the easy models, so the bigger models will take a bit longer.) While getting ready for the 8459 Pneumatic Loader, I find that my LDraw file for this model doesn't have any of the hoses in it and the page could really benefit from a complete pneumatic diagram. Does anyone want to volunteer to create the hoses? I hear that the new tool LDCad is pretty good at this.

I'll take a shot at it, if you like. Bricksmith does Lsynth on the fly. Where can I get the file?

I'll take a shot at it, if you like. Bricksmith does Lsynth on the fly. Where can I get the file?

I've already got a volunteer via PM. Any interest in doing the hoses for 8436, 8421, 8285, or 8110?

I've already got a volunteer via PM. Any interest in doing the hoses for 8436, 8421, 8285, or 8110?

Sure, just send me the one you need first, and I'll work my way through them if no one else wants to.

Speaking of the 8479 Code Pilot, I'm treating this as a Universal Set which means I am going to build all 4 models and write about all of them, but I only have an LDraw file for the garbage truck. I can probably do the others with just photographs, but they are pretty complicated and would benefit from views of the internal mechanisms. If anyone wants to model any of the alternate models, I'd be happy to use them.

Can't taste it :(

Me neither. :cry_sad:

If anyone wants to model any of the alternate models, I'd be happy to use them.

They have been done in LDD over here. Maybe that helps?

Me neither. :cry_sad:

Fixed the link. Sorry, it changed when the wires were added.

They have been done in LDD over here. Maybe that helps?

Actually, those are LDraw file (made in LDCad), not LDD files. He posted them there after he made them for me!

I remember stumbling on your site years ago, I read all there was at the time in my downtime at work. I didn't notice any updates since and really didn't expect any (Lego fan websites and podcasts in particular seem to stop updates abruptly and often without explanation). It seems I have some reading to do! Thank you so much for your contribution to the technic community!

Also I noticed Philo posting in this thread, I reference your website constantly, mostly for the motor characteristics page so I don't overload my poor RCX's outputs :p

And yes I'll say it again, THANK YOU!

Update:

Major update posted to Technicopedia. Includes 1997 with sets 2129, 8205, 8215, 8216, 8222, 8229, 8232, 8250, 8277, 8414, 8437, 8459, and 8479.

I think this the most effort I have ever put into a single year. Not only are there 13 sets, but two of them are Universal sets with multiple models so there are really 18 models to write about. While some of them are easy, 8479 alone required more than 1000 photos and is the largest single page on the site. I hope everyone finds it to be worthwhile!

800x280.jpg

wow - you can really see where the work goes; excellent result.

I bought a second copy of this one for the white wheels to put in Jennifer's crane, but i'm clearly going to have to build the B models with the other bits :thumbup:

Edited by bonox

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! Time to sit back and chill with lots of reading. Thank you Blakbird :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thank you Blakbird! Now I'm gone on this forum for a while, I have to read everything on your site. In the meantime I won't leave my computer either. :tongue:

Edit: I discovered something, in the 8277 set you mention "it is almost entirely traditional studless bricks". :wink:

Edited by Richie

Great update - 8479 was just after my dark ages started, but my wee brother had it, and I did sneak enough of a play with it to appreciate its excellence.

I don't think 8459 was the first with an articulated chassis - 8854's rather fine b-model dump truck did back in 1989.

I don't think 8459 was the first with an articulated chassis - 8854's rather fine b-model dump truck did back in 1989.

I typically don't count B-models when talking about the "first" of something. It is hard enough to keep track of the main models.

I must admit I wasn't a huge fan of the barcode truck when it was first released but now I have come to appreciate it more with with it's cool gear trains, despite having no worm gears it had huge ratios, 243:1 in one model, and of course it's excellent use of the flex system.

Edited by allanp

I must admit I wasn't a huge fan of the barcode truck when it was first released but now I have come to appreciate it more with with it's cool gear trains, despite having no worm gears it had huge ratios, 243:1 in one model, and of course it's excellent use of the flex system.

One of the most rewarding things to hear is that someone comes to appreciate a previously ignored set. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but when it comes to Technic a photo of the box is just not enough to appreciate a model. There have been some really great models that were pretty ugly. There have also been some pretty bad models that looked OK.

I typically don't count B-models when talking about the "first" of something. It is hard enough to keep track of the main models.

Fair enough - you've built yourself a mammoth enough task as it is! It'd be cool to see a selection of the best b-models documented someday, but I appreciate that would open up the "but what about my favourite model 8XXX?!"-type can of worms... (on top of the heavy additional work required).

Excellent work so far - really enjoying the site.

Regarding 8459 loader, you wrote in differentials section that "A real loader is likely to have hydraulic rotary motors at each wheel and therefore this kind of mechanical drive system would be unnecessary." I must disagree with that, every articulated loader I have driven or seen, has mechanical drivetrain. Especially front axle differential casing is usually very easily seen when bucket is lifted up (for example: http://www.toreuse.c...2012/02/lo3.jpg).

Very very small loaders and skid steer loaders are different though, but I think that the 8459 represents a loader so big, that it's real-life version would definitely use same kind of drivetrain.

But this is very small detail, otherwise I thank you very much for this great update (and all the others in past and yet to come). :sweet:

Edited by Meisseli