Wardancer

Latest impact of other themes on historic themes

6 hours ago, Exetrius said:

There are two new large castle elements in Disney Princess sets: a conical tower roof and a 'wall with arch' segment (any architectural term for this?):

I never thought of this before, but I now wonder if that new roof cone part was developed more in mind for a potential Hogwarts Castle for next year's revival theme. :shrug_confused:

I imagine it will just be a small collection of yellow bricks though, so not that much use for historic MOCs.

While I know a lot of Castle builds tend to skew towards muted earth tones like grey and tan… anybody have any thoughts on the return of Bright Bluish Green (Teal)?

There's a new Creator dragon for those who don't mind brick-built creatures. Alternate builds are an ogre and a giant spider.

Yeah, I have mixed feelings on the micro Castle.  I love that they're throwing the Castle, Space, and Pirates fans a little something.  I just wish it was something better.  I'm not into micro scale, so it's fairly useless to me.  I would have loved a tiny build representing each that had a minifigure.

I am excited about the teal, or dark turquoise, or whatever color it is.  I like new color options, and that one has always appealed to me.  I had a few of the Mars sets from back in the day, and loved the color then.

Not too jazzed about the brick-built dragon, but I like that a Dragon / Ogre / Spider is on their radar.  Looks like a decent assortment of dark red LEGO though.

On 30-11-2017 at 3:38 PM, Aanchir said:

While I know a lot of Castle builds tend to skew towards muted earth tones like grey and tan… anybody have any thoughts on the return of Bright Bluish Green (Teal)?

There's a new Creator dragon for those who don't mind brick-built creatures. Alternate builds are an ogre and a giant spider.

New colours are always exciting! I'm sure Teal (aka Turquoise, Bright Bluish Green, Rock Raiders Green :tongue:) can be integrated in (fantasy) castle in the form of banners or glazed roof tiles (like Rivendell). 

That dragon head is bloody amazing!!! Love the use of parts and choice of colours! The rest of the thing is pretty underwhelming though, but is much easier to improve than the head would be.

And then about the classic tribute set... Microbuilds, boo! We can MOC that ourselves, with existing parts. 

9 hours ago, dimaks13 said:

Screenshot_2017-12-05-15-57-36.png

Screenshot_2017-12-05-15-57-43.png

New LEGO Elves pics in the Action Themes forum. Notable details:

• Cool diamond-shaped elemental crystals
  • New elf hair/ears
  • Brick-built harp and lute
  • New recolors of Chima bat wings, Chima flame wings, Elves dragon wings, Nexo Power tile, Elves railings, the new spiders, the new triple leaf piece, the classic triangular shield, and 1x1x6 circular column.
  • New printed 2x2 round tile with multicolored crystal pattern
  • New book cover (maybe a print, maybe a sticker) with a similar multicolored crystal pattern
  • Black shield with a new pattern (again, maybe a print, maybe a sticker)

On 6-12-2017 at 2:53 AM, Aanchir said:

• Cool diamond-shaped elemental crystals
  • New elf hair/ears
  • Brick-built harp and lute
  • New recolors of Chima bat wings, Chima flame wings, Elves dragon wings, Nexo Power tile, Elves railings, the new spiders, the new triple leaf piece, the classic triangular shield, and 1x1x6 circular column.
  • New printed 2x2 round tile with multicolored crystal pattern
  • New book cover (maybe a print, maybe a sticker) with a similar multicolored crystal pattern

You got it! I am most exited about the diamond-like shards and the recoloured flame pieces! And there's a trans light blue vine piece, which is just amazing! :wub: 

All the decorations in the smallest set are printed, thus including the book. The other book in the largest set and the decorated black shield seem to have stickers.  

41193-1.jpg?201712110858

It should be noted that, iirc, this is the first time a lego set explores the concept of floating islands, which of course is a fantastic thing!

9 hours ago, Exetrius said:

It should be noted that, iirc, this is the first time a lego set explores the concept of floating islands, which of course is a fantastic thing!

I thought this too, until I remembered that Mount Cavora from Chima would technically beat it to the punch (though it only appeared as a physical build in the Legends of Chima game from the Lego Games theme). :wink:

@Lyichir Right, forgot about that on!

@x105Black You have a point, but that set wasn't really trying to be a floating island, was it. And the shield is stickered, definitely. You can see it on Brickset's super high-res images. Could have been sooo good :sadnew:

Fair enough.

Female-oriented themes are getting the best shield designs lately.  Too bad so many are stickers.

Just looked at Last Jedi set thet replicates Luke Skywalker's home and that would make a nice poor farmer home at the edge of a castle city. 

So far we have been given nice castle dwellings for well to do town folk.  This could be something new.

Im currently buying loads of brickheadz, they have so many nice slopes and of course everything the snoter's heart desires!

22 hours ago, dgherko said:

Just looked at Last Jedi set thet replicates Luke Skywalker's home and that would make a nice poor farmer home at the edge of a castle city. 

So far we have been given nice castle dwellings for well to do town folk.  This could be something new.

I guess, only if you don't want to MOC it, of course :tongue: Basically all the pieces in the set are useful when building castle, so that's a big plus. And, the new cloth curtain, fantastic!

I've been catching up on reviews, and there were two disappointments in a row: One, TLBM CMF Jor-El features a very obvious Superman emblem on the torso (source). Two, the traditional paper windows (with golden lotus blossom) in the Temple of Resurrection are stickers (source)! :thumbdown: In the past, those have been printed, always. On the flip side, literally, there is the window frame in black, with two supports going across, which is really useful for traditional Japanese interiors. Staying within the Ninjago theme, the new ninja pods include more colour variations of the black kendo helmets (source). 

11 minutes ago, Lordofdragonss said:

I am suprised noone mentioned new POWER BLASTS from SH line. They will be mega usefull in fantasy builds!

They were mentioned just not really elaborated or embelished upon:

On 16/07/2017 at 6:09 PM, Exetrius said:

Just saw the new DC Superheroes sets. There will be a whole set of new magic power blasts of some sort. Amazing, much needed! :cry_happy:

Personally I intend to create a MOC of a castle besieged by an army of mages with those power blast things. Not that I'll ever finish it before I tear the half-built thing down due to lack of parts, but the intention is there.

17 hours ago, runnybabbit223 said:

Personally I intend to create a MOC of a castle besieged by an army of mages with those power blast things.

That's a great idea!

So, next Star Wars wave will introduce new skirt piece to replace the 1x2x3 slope! It looks more organic, leaves room for the hands to hand directly beside the body, (probably) attaches with pegs instead of studs which is great and... it has back printing! Hopefully we will see medieval ladies appearing in these soon. :classic:

There's a couple of new realistic and non-realistic hairpieces, too, mainly to be found in Elves, Marvel Infinity War and Star Wars. I'm also looking forward to the black neck attachment with spots to clip four arms, Dock Ock style. Great for black fantasy monsters. 

Btw, has anyone tried making elves or minifig insects with the Parademon wings?

sh439.png

On 6.12.2017 at 2:53 AM, Aanchir said:

Isn’t this the goblin king shield that has been around for a while? This is printed. I am glad they come in bigger numbers. 

Or are you seeing something I dont? Is it yet another new shield? 

very useful they are: https://www.flickr.com/photos/63704134@N07/34404418401

27 minutes ago, Wardancer said:

Isn’t this the goblin king shield that has been around for a while? This is printed. I am glad they come in bigger numbers. 

Or are you seeing something I dont? Is it yet another new shield? 

very useful they are: https://www.flickr.com/photos/63704134@N07/34404418401

It is another one and sadly it's only a sticker. Check the catapult in this (large!) image: https://images.brickset.com/sets/large/41192-1.jpg?201712110858

But yes, I've used those goblin shields as well, they're great:

34692490114_d72d854c51.jpg

4 hours ago, Exetrius said:

It is another one and sadly it's only a sticker. Check the catapult in this (large!) image: https://images.brickset.com/sets/large/41192-1.jpg?201712110858

You are right. What a great new shield! Evil it is. And visually compatible with the old one I believe.

Is there any chance the sticker is preliminary and the real thing will be printed? Has anyone ever tried covering a sticker with semiglossy paint to make it look more printed?

Edited by Wardancer

On 1/10/2018 at 9:12 AM, Wardancer said:

Is there any chance the sticker is preliminary and the real thing will be printed?

I sure hope so, it looks fantastic!

A recent Elves promo video shared on YouTube shows some of the summer sets. In terms of new parts that fantasy/historic builders might like, the most obvious one is a recolor of the ornate, spiraling carriage wheel from the Elves and Disney Princess themes. Hard to tell exactly what color due to the moody lighting (it’s definitely not the Warm Gold the part already comes in), but my best guess is Titanium Metallic.