WhiteFang

REVIEW: 75104 Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle

On a scale of 1 to 5  

119 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

Why dont we make 2 polls: one for the set and one for the minifigures. AS you know these 2 parts have different ratings.

Cheers

Edited by VintageLegoEra

This is a great review, like always ,WhiteFang. :classic:

But I think I will pass on this. Like others have said, I am not a fan of the wings at all as there are just too many studs, they should have been more smooth. There is just no design purpose for the wings to be littered with studs like that.

Great review, thanks!

Not sure this is a spoiler, but...

After seeing the Command Shuttle in action, the way the wings stow for landing (fold shorter, not tilt outward) is rather well represented in the LEGO set. It looks to me like the top wing sections do NOT slide down into the bottom like a glove, but rather slides/folds down to the side.

Either way, every Target, WM and TRU I visit, there are a ton of Command Shuttles stacked 10-12 high. They're not selling AT ALL, but I'm certainly curious to see if that changes after this weekend. I would very much welcome a UCS version, especially since...

...we didn't actually see it destroyed. Perhaps Hux used it to get off-planet.

Edited by lowlead

I would very much welcome a UCS version, especially since...

...we didn't actually see it destroyed. Perhaps Hux used it to get off-planet.

Hmmm I just kinda assumed that it was the new Lambda-class. No?

EDIT: Yup, just consulted the Force Awakens Visual Dictionary at Barnes & Noble. It calls it an Upsilon-class shuttle.

Edited by Junior Shark

Good! Better chance we'll see more of them, including interior shots :moar:

Visit your local bookseller: the shuttle is in the cross-sections book! :moar:

Nice review. But for me it's too "studdy". Those wings really need to be made smooth using lift arms for reinforcement like the imperial shuttle. I'm guessing a UCS version will come along eventually - giving them an opportunity to remedy the fixed wing problem aswell.

+1

I guess with a bigger scale they will also be able to get the main body section a bit thinner/less blocky as well as getting the front windows right (in red please!).

Also after watching the movie those fixed wings are now just unacceptable :laugh: I hope for an updated smoother version in a reasonable amount of time

In the movie, the fold-down of the upper wings looked like the Terminator 2000... Liquid metal in motion... No way that TLG will be able to get the motion THAT smooth! The wings tilt in and out so many times in the movie, though. It's really got to be fixed/modded in our sets.

Oh, and the landing gear / lower wings. Totally needs to be fixed, too.

I'd like to make the wings tilt with worm and rack gears in a UCS version, just for my own enjoyment.

How did you fit all 6 figures in there? I got 3...and not comfortably either!

I fit all six figures without too much trouble. Female officer in the pilot seat, two crewmen standing on either side facing out towards the back of the front part, Stormtrooper standing on the exit ramp, and Hux and Kylo standing in the back, facing each other. The stupid 'weapon rack' doesn't like to stay in place that way with Ren's big hood, but after a few tries I got everything closed with everyone in and the rack in place.

Edited by rollermonkey

In the movie, the fold-down of the upper wings looked like the Terminator 2000... Liquid metal in motion... No way that TLG will be able to get the motion THAT smooth! The wings tilt in and out so many times in the movie, though. (...)

I paid special attention to this part of the film because I had plans of building my own shuttle. I think it depicted a normal sliding action, then cut to a frame where you could see the parts of the wing appear flush. Lego should be able to better mimic this now that they have the actual source material to work from.

I'm bothered by the color theme, and the windscreen especially. This toy is much better at depicting the red part:

csm_06695__D_02_KYLO_REN_S_COMMAND_SHUTTLE_ec52e23c75.jpg

I agree that black is a color better suited than dark gray from the LEGO color palette.

Overall I would have been quite disappointed had I paid full price for the set.

On the positive side. The sculpturing of the bulkhead is very nicely done.

JANGBRICKS has done a modded version in black and it looks much more movie accurate, and menacing, as I've suggested previously. Hopefully TLG will use the benefit of hindsight and make an improved version soon. With the amount of detail on the bulkhead/fuselage and wing edges it's begging to get the UCS treatment.

JANGBRICKS has done a modded version in black and it looks much more movie accurate, and menacing, as I've suggested previously. Hopefully TLG will use the benefit of hindsight and make an improved version soon. With the amount of detail on the bulkhead/fuselage and wing edges it's begging to get the UCS treatment.

If only he had instructions. I've got no experience at reverse-engineering mods.

I'm also holding out for a more accurate version, but I do have one concern- if this doesn't sell, they might not make another one at all.

There seemed to be a surprisingly small number of new vehicles in the film, unless I missed something. Unless there is no equivalent vehicle in VII or IX, we'll almost have to get another version of this eventually.

There seemed to be a surprisingly small number of new vehicles in the film, unless I missed something. Unless there is no equivalent vehicle in VII or IX, we'll almost have to get another version of this eventually.

It might very well be the only Bad Guy Shuttle in the new trilogy, true, but I don't think there's a rule that we have to get one of them per generation. What's the usual turnover for sets being retired and remade?

It might very well be the only Bad Guy Shuttle in the new trilogy, true, but I don't think there's a rule that we have to get one of them per generation. What's the usual turnover for sets being retired and remade?

Depends. Is it a Snowspeeder or something else? Snowspeeders seem to have a 6-moth replacement timeframe, everything else varies from 2 years and up. :tongue:

Depends. Is it a Snowspeeder or something else? Snowspeeders seem to have a 6-moth replacement timeframe, everything else varies from 2 years and up. :tongue:

Hah!

Well, in that case, I wouldn't be surprised if they kept this design in circulation until the sequel trilogy is over in 2019. Be honest, if you were a decision-maker and a set sold as badly as this one seems to be, would you rush out to make another one? At that level people don't usually say "well, we could marginally increase sales if we made it more screen-accurate. Put our best man on the job!" They say "well, that didn't sell. Let's make more X-Wings, Falcons, Tydiriums and Snowspeeders; I want another Yacht for Christmas!" :tongue:

Hah!

Well, in that case, I wouldn't be surprised if they kept this design in circulation until the sequel trilogy is over in 2019. Be honest, if you were a decision-maker and a set sold as badly as this one seems to be, would you rush out to make another one? At that level people don't usually say "well, we could marginally increase sales if we made it more screen-accurate. Put our best man on the job!" They say "well, that didn't sell. Let's make more X-Wings, Falcons, Tydiriums and Snowspeeders; I want another Yacht for Christmas!" :tongue:

But its a fair point for Lego that makes sense. I mean they dont decide whats popular or even what crafts and designs get a lot of screen time. Also we only got 2 versions of the Lambda Class Shuttle and only 3 Millenium Falcons + 1 UCS. In the end I wouldnt complain if we constantly get better versions of those as well as other classics (UCS Snowspeeder Hype) :grin:

The Emperor kind of got killed at the end of Return of the Jedi though. The Death Star II didn't have to be built in secret and was built with a much larger crew. It also wasn't a fully operating battle station, the weapon systems worked and there was armour and the throne room but it still wasn't complete.

The minifigs are good, but I'm not massive fan of the ship. I also wish Kylo Ren had a unique lightsaber handle, IMO how it is currently done doesn't look that great.

You're right - I came back here after seeing this great Episode VII. As for the Emperor's death in Ep. VI - lots of the Saga characters fall down into technic tunnels which look like abyss but they stay alive if needed. For example,

there is LEGO Darth Moll with mechanic legs; Yoda fell down there in Ep. III (in the Senate), Luke - in Ep. V and Han Solo in Ep. VII...

Edited by Hinckley
USE SPOILER TAGS!!

Use common sense, people. If it's a plot point from a new movie, use spoiler tags! Don't be a jerk. Thank you.

Hah!

There have been enough people in this forum alone say that they won't buy the current one because they are waiting for a more accurate version, that I suspect TLG is aware of it and will act accordingly if necessary.

There have been enough people in this forum alone say that they won't buy the current one because they are waiting for a more accurate version, that I suspect TLG is aware of it and will act accordingly if necessary.

I think you overestimate AFOL influence honestly. The whole wall-e thing was because of a design flaw, not being able to pose the head like intended. The wing's not folding out isn't a design flaw, but more like an oversight. The model is, structurally speaking, perfectly fine. If TLG would addres this supposed problem it would just open up a whole new world of nitpicking. I mean I love nitpicking, I really really do, but it just doesn't make sense business wise. What's stopping people from fixing the problem themselves anyway, they're plenty of examples to choose from if you don't have the skill to design a fix yourself.

In any case I'm still waiting on TLG to release a fix for all the pilot battle droids they keep stuffing into droid fighters/bombers/gunships.

Edited by khatmorg

Here is one more interesting impression of Star Wars: Darth Vader never had a special ship of his own . He used different usual space ships. But his grandson has a special shuttle you're showing here!!! When being a small child, anakin leaves his mother, she tells him one can't stop changes as one can't stop the movement of suns. But his grandson stops suns to use their energy for his super weapon base. So, I hope LEGO will isue it soon, as Death Star before. Perhaps your next review will be about it, what do you think?

Edited by WhiteFang
Add spoiler tags and please be sensitive to others

Actually, the Cross Sections book says that the 'Upsilon-class command shuttle' isn't something just made for Kylo Ren. There are lots more of them, while only Vader got a TIE Advanced x1.

Edited by Pcm979