42050 - Drag Racer - Rating  

128 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

Hi guys, as I have the hotrod (42022 ) I'd like to know how much difference is between the two colors.

Can anybody help?

Hi guys, as I have the hotrod (42022 ) I'd like to know how much difference is between the two colors.

Can anybody help?

I'd call 42022's light sky blue (maybe with a hint of cornflower blue), whilst it's called "Medium Blue" by TLG . The 42050's colour is a turquise/cyan mix (called "Medium Azure" by TLG), a quite different thing.

42022's colour is the 4th from the left. 42050's colour is the 4th from the right.

6650614311_e669edb6ae_b.jpg

Edited by Immo

I'd call 42022's light sky blue (maybe with a hint of cornflower blue), whilst it's called "Medium Blue" by TLG . The 42050's colour is a turquise/cyan mix (called "Medium Azure" by TLG), a quite different thing.

42022's colour is the 4th from the left. 42050's colour is the 4th from the right.

Thanks!

B model instructions are up.....514 parts used out of 647 is BRUTAL!....this set is garbage imo!

well just send it to me and I'll bin it for you.

And here's my review. Kinda developed a love/hate relationship with this model:

Edited by Sariel

Love/hate is exactly how I feel about this model!

@Sariel

I honestly think the B-Model was wway better than the A-Model.

just my opinion

I feel you, Jim. Getting even more curious about 42052's B-model (release these instructions already, Lego!).

I feel you, Jim. Getting even more curious about 42052's B-model (release these instructions already, Lego!).

Sorry Paweł,

I'm afraid the 42052 B model looks like a GMH - genetically modified hamster, your pets might be scared of what's coming next:-)

Thanks for the clip Sariel!

The model though... i like the idea of a top fuel dragster more then the A-model funny car, but the execution has some distinct B-model-ness about it, and the parts left over....

I'll jump on the bandwagon of not loving this set. I built the A-model last night, and I think the most interesting thing about it was the steering rack being installed upside-down.

The wheelie bar is ugly, the wheelie function is lame, the frame too narrow or the body shell too wide, several annoying steps in the build... And so on. I'm not even going to bother motorizing it, but I will do the B-model before most likely breaking it up for parts, though.

The large number of 15L beams in a set this size was a surprise, and I do like the medium azure, or whatever it's called, but it would have been nice if there were at least a couple more panels in that color instead of black, though.

Not sure if I will buy a second for more medium azure and a third pair of tumbler tires, or just order a set of wheels and rims, but I sure won't be stealing the ones off my Tumbler!

The wheelie bar is ugly, the wheelie function is lame, the frame too narrow or the body shell too wide

I treat the wheelie function more as a display function. And I hate to repeat myself, but the proportions seem to be just fine for a model of a Funny Car. That part of the car is quite realistic, which should be desired in Technic models, right? :sweet:

c226a5fd40584dc96ede100f5b338c5b.jpg

I think I'm one of the few that love this set, and not even for the parts.

Agreed...

Yet every other Technic set this wave is doing nothing for me.

...even the almighty 42052 cargo heli?

Edited by Immo

The wheelie bar is ugly, the wheelie function is lame, the frame too narrow or the body shell too wide,

The set is quite accurate, it's not ugly/stupid or whatever it was called, it's just purpose build:

revell_vega_fc_11.jpg

If you take a look under the shell (and the body is a shell - it lacks sturdiness as unlike a normal car, it's not necessary for the funny car to stay in one piece) of the Funny Car it looks much like what Lego gave us.

So you can't blame TLG for how someone designed the original - they recreated it quite well.

Edited by pgplay

...even the almighty 42052 cargo heli?

I think the counter rotating rotors are neat, but beyond, meh. But I've always been a car guy, and nearly all of my Technic purchases go down that route.

Just got and built mine, thanks to my lovely girlfriend. Neat set, quite impressive in size. Asks to be modded, though; I don't like this big hole in the back left for the motor I won't be installing anyway. Otherwise it's more than OK, spot on for a drag/hot rod/muscle fan like me.

Unfortunately, for the first time in my life a Lego set had a part missing: one black axle connector was nowhere to be found. Fortunately, I had one in my reserve, but it's still a bummer.

EDIT: Silly me, I used that part where I wasn't supposed to. Henceforth, the set is complete and I still haven't encountered an incomplete one in my venturesome career. /EDIT

(...) I've always been a car guy, and nearly all of my Technic purchases go down that route.

Well, then you should appreciate this quite accurate representation of a Funny Car :wink:

Edited by Immo

Bought this set yesterday because I felt $30 for a pair of tires would make the parts in the set worth $50. Still I don't feel it was worth the money. It will be on my sell list as soon as it's not available from Lego.

I have two of this i boughtt the two of them for 70 us aprox OS i got the 4 tires i was hoping i can build a truck outof this two you guys think its possible i mean like a truck or like a 4x4 will be nice!!