CaptainJackBrickster

Help! Cant decide on which current lego train to purchase.

Heres how the story goes, here recently i have been slowly getting more intrigued by the lego trains. However i have never had one and dont know where to start. I have been looking at the High speed Passenger train (60051) and the Cargo train (60052) which of these would you prefer and the pros and cons. Thanks!

Heres how the story goes, here recently i have been slowly getting more intrigued by the lego trains. However i have never had one and dont know where to start. I have been looking at the High speed Passenger train (60051) and the Cargo train (60052) which of these would you prefer and the pros and cons. Thanks!

I own 60052. While it isn't a masterpiece like the Maersk Train was; I love it to! It looks like an American style diesel engine. The two flatbeds are fun to switch cargo onto, and the gantry crain is a decent addition. The cattle car is a little silly though, but I love the excuse for a Texas longhorn cow in a Lego set!

60098 is an alternative to the 60052. I don't own it, but based on the pictures it is stylized like a European train, and also includes some construction accessories.

I don't own 60051, and don't have to much interest in it since I already own the very similar (but more complex) Horizon Express, so you'll need somebody else's opinion on the set.

I do own though 60050, which is a good station set to accompany any Lego train. I have a review of that on Brickset here: http://brickset.com/reviews/49266

HST=

PROS

modern design,

easy to integrate more coaches

Cheap price

CONS=

big 'bulky' front piece

More coaches needed for more realism

Catenary would look better for the electric train

Freight train=

PROS=

Fun set to start

Many different freight to experience with your favorite kind

Diesel loco so catenary isn't needed for realism

Easy expandable because of the mixed freight

CONS=

cattle isn't transported in this way anymore

Gantry crane doesn't have al lot of use

Locomotive doesn't have many details (needs to rely on stickers)

If you want to simply have a train to customise 60098 would be better. Cheaper freight train without those (according to other people) terrible flex tracks.

About the things they all share: all PF trains (the city ones from 2010 and above) use the same technology, a AAA battery box with a standerd reciever and a PF train motor.

The technic motors (Medium motor, large motor and extra large motor) also work with the same adapters and work with the same battery box and reciever. Those motors are more likely to be used with steam locomotives like the Emerald Night or with triple axle bogies for diesel and electric locomotives. Note that those will need technic gearing what will need some practice. If you don't know much about it I would stick with using 2 axle bogies using the standard train motor

Their are 3 battery boxes for PF. the AAA, rechargeable and the AA box. The AAA is the weakest but also the cheapest for trains as trains don't need much power, the AA is for technic models and is bigger but harder to implement in a train. The rechargeable is a favorite for many as you can simply leave one small gap for it open to stick the cable in it. It has the same size as the AAA so every AAA model can use the rechargeable and every rechargeable set can use a AAA box.

To get it a little bit harder: there are also 2 kinds of recievers. The V1 and the V2. The V2 has newer components but is only sold with the crawlers. But it is overkill for a train so don't bother looking at it.

Overall conclusion: check the train that fits your style, every train uses the same PF components (the creator ones don't have motors!!) and the AAA and rechargeable are the best for trains.

The technic motors are bigger, need more space for gearing but have fine control for low speed trains.

The complete package for a train is: Battery box>reciever>motor. Sticking with the standerd train motor is the best for most projects.

Note that you need to buy the new motor with integrated PF cable, the one without is for the failed? RC trains and the one with metal wheels is for 9V which uses electrified tracks.

I hope this helps a bit. Just google a little bit and you will find some help.

Edited by THERIZE

I own 60052. While it isn't a masterpiece like the Maersk Train was; I love it to! It looks like an American style diesel engine. The two flatbeds are fun to switch cargo onto, and the gantry crain is a decent addition. The cattle car is a little silly though, but I love the excuse for a Texas longhorn cow in a Lego set!

60098 is an alternative to the 60052. I don't own it, but based on the pictures it is stylized like a European train, and also includes some construction accessories.

I don't own 60051, and don't have to much interest in it since I already own the very similar (but more complex) Horizon Express, so you'll need somebody else's opinion on the set.

I do own though 60050, which is a good station set to accompany any Lego train. I have a review of that on Brickset here: http://brickset.com/reviews/49266

You read my mind! I was thinking of getting 60050 if i was gonna purchase the passenger train.

HST=

PROS

modern design,

easy to integrate more coaches

Cheap price

CONS=

big 'bulky' front piece

More coaches needed for more realism

Catenary would look better for the electric train

Freight train=

PROS=

Fun set to start

Many different freight to experience with your favorite kind

Diesel loco so catenary isn't needed for realism

Easy expandable because of the mixed freight

CONS=

cattle isn't transported in this way anymore

Gantry crane doesn't have al lot of use

Locomotive doesn't have many details (needs to rely on stickers)

If you want to simply have a train to customise 60098 would be better. Cheaper freight train without those (according to other people) terrible flex tracks.

About the things they all share: all PF trains (the city ones from 2010 and above) use the same technology, a AAA battery box with a standerd reciever and a PF train motor.

The technic motors (Medium motor, large motor and extra large motor) also work with the same adapters and work with the same battery box and reciever. Those motors are more likely to be used with steam locomotives like the Emerald Night or with triple axle bogies for diesel and electric locomotives. Note that those will need technic gearing what will need some practice. If you don't know much about it I would stick with using 2 axle bogies using the standard train motor

Their are 3 battery boxes for PF. the AAA, rechargeable and the AA box. The AAA is the weakest but also the cheapest for trains as trains don't need much power, the AA is for technic models and is bigger but harder to implement in a train. The rechargeable is a favorite for many as you can simply leave one small gap for it open to stick the cable in it. It has the same size as the AAA so every AAA model can use the rechargeable and every rechargeable set can use a AAA box.

To get it a little bit harder: there are also 2 kinds of recievers. The V1 and the V2. The V2 has newer components but is only sold with the crawlers. But it is overkill for a train so don't bother looking at it.

Overall conclusion: check the train that fits your style, every train uses the same PF components (the creator ones don't have motors!!) and the AAA and rechargeable are the best for trains.

The technic motors are bigger, need more space for gearing but have fine control for low speed trains.

The complete package for a train is: Battery box>reciever>motor. Sticking with the standerd train motor is the best for most projects.

Note that you need to buy the new motor with integrated PF cable, the one without is for the failed? RC trains and the one with metal wheels is for 9V which uses electrified tracks.

I hope this helps a bit. Just google a little bit and you will find some help.

Thanks having all these pros and cons helps to narrow down which one would fit me.

Assuming it's still out in your area, have you considered 60098 (Heavy Haul Train, http://shop.lego.com...Listing=listing)?

Personally, I think it's a much nicer and more realistic looking loco than 60052 (although I'm biased by the fact that I am European, and when sat next to the Mearsk loco, 60052's loco looks awful). The wagons are pretty much 50/50 between the sets, they both have one wagon with a daft load, but I feel that overall 60098 just wins it because the ore wagon is a really fun build.

Anyway, for me it goes like this:

Best loco:

Best looking rolling stock:

Best track options:

60052 (only one to include points)

= 60051/60098 (just a plain loop of track)

Best trackside:

60052 (unloading depot with overhead crane thing, forklift and small truck)

60098 (mineral unloading rotating crane, level crossing, digger and helicopter (technically intended as loads))

60051 (level crossing and very pathetic station platform)

Overall, it's tossup between 60052 and 60098 for me, and while I favour '98, I think '52 has the edge on value for money, especially if you have no existing track to add it to.

Edited by Redimus

Assuming it's still out in your area, have you considered 60098 (Heavy Haul Train, http://shop.lego.com...Listing=listing)?

Personally, I think it's a much nicer and more realistic looking loco than 60052 (although I'm biased by the fact that I am European, and when sat next to the Mearsk loco, 60052's loco looks awful). The wagons are pretty much 50/50 between the sets, they both have one wagon with a daft load, but I feel that overall 60098 just wins it because the ore wagon is a really fun build.

Anyway, for me it goes like this:

Best loco:

Best looking rolling stock:

Best track options:

60052 (only one to include points)

= 60051/60098 (just a plain loop of track)

Best trackside:

60052 (unloading depot with overhead crane thing, forklift and small truck)

60098 (mineral unloading rotating crane, level crossing, digger and helicopter (technically intended as loads))

60051 (level crossing and very pathetic station platform)

Overall, it's tossup between 60052 and 60098 for me, and while I favour '98, I think '52 has the edge on value for money, especially if you have no existing track to add it to.

The reason i want 60052 so much is because of the story behind it. I live in rural Alabama and a train passes my town every once in a while it looks just like 60052 with it being modeled after a diesel train and all and the train is very close to my heart i remember hearing it back in middle school and longing that i was out of school. I dont really have that much of a connection with 60098

The 60052 loco is not hard to modify to your liking. I did that with mine to make it a bit more EMD GP38 Conrail like. 60052 is a good starter set if you are into North American freight railroading.

My vote goes to 60052. That being said I don't have 60098 but I do have 7939 - so I don't feel the need to go get 60098.

60052 has decent amount of track and rolling stock (cattle car to me is just funny and I like the long horn). The cargo yard is a little awkward on its own but can easily be integrated into a train depot layout. Plus you get a small truck which is always useful. Its not a perfect loco by any means and pales in comparison to the Maersk but that's an unfair comparison in the first place. As my fellow Canadian Dr. Spock mention, 60052 is easy to modify to your liking if you are into that sort of thing.

Personally I think 60051's passenger car is too short...I feel it should be a 28 long baseplate instead of 24. And the track is a small oval. I feel you need at least another 2 passenger cars to make it look good and then lots of track to let it go.

Just my thoughts.

The reason i want 60052 so much is because of the story behind it. I live in rural Alabama and a train passes my town every once in a while it looks just like 60052 with it being modeled after a diesel train and all and the train is very close to my heart i remember hearing it back in middle school and longing that i was out of school. I dont really have that much of a connection with 60098

I think 52 is the best value for the money, but assuming you intend to build the train as the set (rather than parting it out or otherwise modifying it) definitely go with whichever one you think is most attractive. The two freight sets put a lot of the design in the locomotive, with the cars being fairly light and empty (well, the hopper in 98 is interesting).

Since you are in the US, at least last time I checked both the passenger train and 52 were $40 off at Amazon. Whereas 98 had no discount (a TRU exclusive). Since the 52 and 98 have the same MSRP, the discount on 52 might further tip the scale.

The 3 unit 51 seems rather tiny, but with a few more cars it does start to look like a real passenger train, e.g., use a second copy of the set to give you 3 more cars.

As others have mentioned, you can always convert 60052's locomotive to something more realistic and more like the fabulous Marsk. Zephyr1934 posted some really nice instructions. Check it out on this link http://www.eurobrick...8434&hl=conrail

Dan-147

Yes, I designed those instructions for the 52 MOD to be a gateway for AFOL builders in the absence of any creator trains. I think 98 could be turned into an SP, SSW, or a few other roads. If someone wants to take a crack at a buildable LDD file (i.e., actually available parts) to use the train parts from 98 [plus more bricks] to turn it in to a Maersk-style GP 40, I'd be happy to chat via PM about possibly producing decals for the MOD.

There are Many factors to Consider Pre-Buying/Ordering. Here they are:

1)- You Budget

2)- Vintage/Classic Sets or Modern Sets

3)- Sets with Many Minifigures or Acceptable Number of Minifigures.

4)- Track Type ( 9v, 12v,....etc )

I do the above analysis and i always get what i need!

Good Luck

Cheers

I have all three, and my personal favourite is 60052 (despite being in the UK). I extended mine so that it's the same length as the Maersk train, as it looked a bit short otherwise. The other thing to consider is that it's possible that 60052 may not be around much longer, with 60098 having been released this year.

Other than that though, go with the one you prefer.

There are Many factors to Consider Pre-Buying/Ordering. Here they are:

1)- You Budget

2)- Vintage/Classic Sets or Modern Sets

3)- Sets with Many Minifigures or Acceptable Number of Minifigures.

4)- Track Type ( 9v, 12v,....etc )

I do the above analysis and i always get what i need!

Good Luck

Cheers

Until he's worked out on which direction he wants to go, he might as well just get a current set and see where it takes him (it's what I did). A couple of 9v era sets are both comparable in quality and price to current sets, but most older sets are objectively nowhere near as good as anything available now, and cost a lot more to get one in a decent enough condition.

Edited by Redimus

Until he's worked out on which direction he wants to go, he might as well just get a current set and see where it takes him (it's what I did). A couple of 9v era sets are both comparable in quality and price to current sets, but most older sets are objectively nowhere near as good as anything available now, and cost a lot more to get one in a decent enough condition.

I wanna go the newer more modern approach because of the price point. But if i could find a older one i would.

If you are American, 60052 is where it's at. Its miles better than the high speed train, and the extra and better track configuration is important. The oval of the passenger train gets boring real quick. A box of flex track will allow more diverse configurations, plus the flex pieces are real short which allows you to line up more complex configurations.

Never underestimate the importance of track.

I recently bought both of those as starter trains for my 5 year old son (bought the train station as well)

We had nothing train related at all before getting them.

I then felt I needed to go out & buy a second of the High Speed Passenger train as it looked weird to me with just one carriage.

The train looks much better with 2 carriages.

As that particular train is less than £70 in most shops (it's £99 at the Lego Store)at the moment, it gave me extra track, another level crossing for my layout, extra stickers for the bits I didn't build plus a spare remote & motor so I can use that if I find another train I want that doesn't have one included.

I also bought a box of 60 AAA Kodak batteries as it requires 9 of them (6 in battery box, 3 in remote) & I saw quite a few reviews saying some brands of batteries have trouble.

We only use one remote to run both trains.

In my house trains spend most of their time being chased by a 'giant' so I can offer no opinion on how realistic they may or may not look.

If I had only been purchasing one, I probably would have picked the Passenger Train because I like the look of it better, but actually the Cargo train is a more enjoyable set for both of us.

I didn't feel I had to get extra carriages for it straight away either.

It has switch tracks included & the cargo station which make all the difference as just watching a train go round an oval is pretty boring even when you are only five.

I also bought extra track (1 of each 7895 & 7499).

Whichever way you go, I think extra track is a good idea because the amount that comes with these trains is not all that much & certainly not enough for an interesting layout.

We'll be getting more track soon.

I watched the Jangbricks reviews on You Tube for each train before buying them which I found very helpful.

I'm sure there are other reviews which are equally valid & helpful, but those are the ones I watch.

I'm in the uk & was able to get both trains for a good price as they are available all over the place not just from Lego.

Here's a picture of 60052 next to 10219: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=6340797

While it is several studs shorter I think it is still in scale, just looking at the size difference in real life between a GP-40 locomotive and the larger SD-40.

Edited by xboxtravis7992

I have just recently got back into lego trains and it's 60052 for the win! the High Speed Passenger Train really seemed poor, so much so that I searched online for a Horizon Express and bought that instead to go along with my freight train.

If you have kids that might play with the sets, 60052 is vastly better than the High Speed Train. I understand you liking the 60052 locomotive, reminds me of an older CSX color scheme. It might not be as detailed as the Maersk, but this is a City set designed to give someone the full Power Functions train experience (and be relatively easy to build), not a Creator Expert set that is focused on detail and advanced building techniques. I'm not sure why people are making the comparison. The 60052 locomotive looks good for the City line, and is certainly recognizable as North American.

The High Speed Train set is not very good, IMO. Basic loop of track, very basic station, annoying one piece cab section that doesn't stay together very well. I much prefer the previous red City passenger train, 7938.

I don't own 60098, so I can't say much about that except it looks a lot like 7939, which I have. 7939 is a good freight set, but it was surpassed by 60052 IMO.

I'm still undecided as well on which train set to get. Available choices are still the 60051, 60052 and 60098. Between the two cargo trains, the carriages don't really appeal to me unless further MODs are made. The passenger train looks short. Wonder if I can mod that to be a HE instead?

60051 could pass for a Renfe CAF train. 3 car passenger set is similar to short regional passenger trains like the Stadler Flirt. 60051 probably looks better if there is at least one more car but it depends on your CITY's train ridership.

04alta-velocidad.jpg

If you have the parts you could MOD 60051 to the Renfe version of the TGV. 60051 has a similar color scheme.

60051 could pass for a Renfe CAF train. 3 car passenger set is similar to short regional passenger trains like the Stadler Flirt. 60051 probably looks better if there is at least one more car but it depends on your CITY's train ridership.

04alta-velocidad.jpg

If you have the parts you could MOD 60051 to the Renfe version of the TGV. 60051 has a similar color scheme.

I dont really have that many minifigs to spare (using most as citizens walking around city) but if i were to get this one (which i may) I probally wont mod it or order parts to make another car. Personally i think the train looks just fine in photos so i guess i just have to really see it in real life to know if i will mod it.

I'm still undecided as well on which train set to get. Available choices are still the 60051, 60052 and 60098. Between the two cargo trains, the carriages don't really appeal to me unless further MODs are made. The passenger train looks short. Wonder if I can mod that to be a HE instead?

I modded 2 HEs to include the Jacobs bogie between the two sets as well, and it's great until you encounter points. Anything but the most basic option for points *will* cause derailment. If you get two basic sets and leave them as is, you'll probably be fine though.