On pages 64 and 65 of Blakbrids pdf instructions for the Ball Factory, he shows the PF - L motor mounted within the framework of the Initial Drive module, and mounted within the edge of the 48x48 baseplate. In the Rebricker instructions and videos, he has the motor mounted outside the Initial drive module framework, and hanging outside of the baseplate area. I hope I am making myself understood. 

Does anyone have any opinions, or direct knowledge of which assembly is better? I was hoping to build a base, and display cover for the Factory once completed. It would be nicer if the motor did not stick out past the base plate. As always, I thank everyone in advance for your valued input.

It is entirely up to you. Doesn't really make any odds.

I have mine sat on the outside, mainly because I am endlessly swapping out the motor and messing about with things.

1 minute ago, Ankoku said:

It is entirely up to you. Doesn't really make any odds.

I have mine sat on the outside, mainly because I am endlessly swapping out the motor and messing about with things.

I guess the good news...I can build it one way, and then very quickly and easily rebuild following the other way. It is outside of any internal structures, so easy to refit if I don't like the desired effects.

I built this, out of plywood, and pine edging, for my ball factory..  it's quite rigid, and you can see the trick I used to secure the baseplates to the ply... no damage to any part:

640x360.jpg

800x600.jpg

Mine just sits on an overly heavy slab of wood at the moment.

I love your idea with the 3L Axle pegs. Good work!

Found a blue version!

This is pretty much an exact copy of the ReBricker version with some heavy duty mods to the dropper.

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 7:58 PM, RohanBeckett said:

I built this, out of plywood, and pine edging, for my ball factory..  it's quite rigid, and you can see the trick I used to secure the baseplates to the ply... no damage to any part:

640x360.jpg

800x600.jpg

That is a wonderful base. What size is the plywood, both the outside dimensions and the inside dimensions (inside the edging). I love the way you secure it with the axles an 2 x 4 technic plates. I may copy this idea, but Rohan, you certainly get the credit.

I stand by my previous comment. It is sooo red.

One thing of note, which is worth mentioning: The owner of the red one has chosen to use a clutch gear in case of jams. Jams happen with most GBC machines at some point or another. A jam with the Ball Factory will most likely cause a gear to slip and thus desync. So a clutch gear is well worth considering to avoid that.

In this case, the gearing down of S motor to clutch gear means the machine is running slower than it really should be.

12 hours ago, Ankoku said:

I stand by my previous comment. It is sooo red.

One thing of note, which is worth mentioning: The owner of the red one has chosen to use a clutch gear in case of jams. Jams happen with most GBC machines at some point or another. A jam with the Ball Factory will most likely cause a gear to slip and thus desync. So a clutch gear is well worth considering to avoid that.

In this case, the gearing down of S motor to clutch gear means the machine is running slower than it really should be.

I agree that ALL red is a bit too much. I will be using blue bricks to build the base of the Bucket Wheel. I also have a lot of black technic beams to help break up the all red structures. I am also using quite a bit of yellow plates and tiles to top off the biggest of the red structures to give a different look. Obviously, all one color gives a more massive and continuous look, but I am totally new to any of this. Worst case, I can always swap out colors. But I have so many red bricks and plates and angle pieces, red it is going to be. I will post pictures along the way, but it will be another two months before I can begin building. I am doing some traveling until end of October. Being retired, I spend quite a bit of time traveling and roaming the world. 

If you get the GBC bug, you will spend a lot of time thinking as you travel, how to make things more reliable :)

It is the combination of art and engineering!

They have always been popular from films to TV ads to displays:

You find Rube Goldberg machines everywhere.

The thing I like about GBC, is that the balls loop back, so it just keeps on running. Rather than being a one off thing.

Only just realised, that the red/blue/yellow ball factory above isn't sitting on the usual grey base plates.

On 9/7/2018 at 11:04 AM, rskamen said:

That is a wonderful base. What size is the plywood, both the outside dimensions and the inside dimensions (inside the edging). I love the way you secure it with the axles an 2 x 4 technic plates. I may copy this idea, but Rohan, you certainly get the credit.

will measure it tomorrow.. do you prefer metric or US units?  Oh wait.. this is Eurobricks... guess it'll have to be metric!  :grin:

17 hours ago, Ankoku said:

Metric is the only way... for most thing. There are a few things better in imperial, but not many.

A pint being one that springs to mind & hand !

Metric works for me. No problem. Thanks Rohan. And yes, a pint has to be a PINT! I am beginning the MOC 5509 of the Lego Crane 42009. I will have over 500 parts left over. I can then see what is applicable to the Ball Factory. Once that has been completed and the parts sorted out, I can place my final order for everything I am missing. I am guessing most of that order will be bricks, plates and tiles. I have a lot of gears, axles, and various connectors in my "overflow" bin.

We do live in a weird place in the UK, units wise. We like MPH, Pints, Stones and feet. That said, anything which isn't a pint, I want in litres and millilitres. Anything which isn't height, I want in centimetres and millimetres. Anything which isn't a person's weight, I want in grams and kilograms.

Looking at up coming generations, I think stones and feet are on the way out. I don't think MPH and pints are going anywhere though.

My Ball Factory Board is:

an 810mm x 460mm sheet of 12mm ply

it is edged with pieces of dressed-pine, 11x30mm, to give rigidity and to act as a ball spill tray

I drilled 4.5mm holes to fit the 3L axles into, to lock the baseplates into place, with a bush, and 2x4 plate with holes

Obviously the size can be anything you want.. I had envisioned eventually buying/making a perspex box to house it.

Not much imperial left here in Australia... diagonal TV/LCD sizing (24", 42") is about the only mainstream remnant left

Edited by RohanBeckett

On 9/8/2018 at 2:02 PM, RohanBeckett said:

will measure it tomorrow.. do you prefer metric or US units?  Oh wait.. this is Eurobricks... guess it'll have to be metric!  :grin:

Surely the only real measurements here are done in studs.

Actually I am struggling to get my marble run working on an acceptable level. Finished it a few weeks ago, but I can not get it working properly until today :(

Approx every third ball makes the whole run. But most of the balls are falling from tracks at randomly changing areas. 

I wonder how you others got this thing working properly. 

http://youtu.be/RlP2ZMRZJVA

Edited by Frequenzberater