BrickJagger

Future Castle Sets?

2 hours ago, MAB said:

If you ordered it, then you can also wait and see if it sold out quickly. If it sold out quickly, go ahead with it anyway even if you don't want it as the resale value will be high. And if it didn't sell out and you want to spend the money on something else, then you can cancel the order.

In before the hate: "Don't hate the player, hate the game!"

28 minutes ago, Artanis I said:

That is the very definition of scalping. Shame on you.

It isn't. If they order and later decide they don't want it, it doesn't go back in the pool available for sale as the ordering period is already closed. They can either resell and make a bit of cash or cancel it and it will just disappear into the system but won't be offered for sale by LEGO again. We don't know what happens to unpaid BDP sets, but I imagine when found they will tend to make their way to the secondary market.

Ordering to intentionally resell is closer to scalping. Not that there is anything wrong with buying to resell anyway. 

6 hours ago, Artanis I said:

You can call it whatever you want, but I see where @mab is coming from. And this dumb game is all on LEGO, they are the ones selling limited sets.

On a related note: I buy frequently anything that looks interesting to me, even if I am on the fence about the set. Reason being I have paid secondary market value one to many times over the years. I have the funds and space available to lower my risk. For the sets I buy that I am unsure of, they go into my backlog. If a year or two, or three, pass and I have not built it - I sell. I would say over 50% of my purchases get sold before I build. I do appreciat the gains that often come my way and that money usually goes into buying current offerings that interest me.

My current backlog has only 7 sets pre-2021 that I am still holding on to with expections I will eventually build.

1 hour ago, Follows Closely said:

You can call it whatever you want, but I see where @mab is coming from. And this dumb game is all on LEGO, they are the ones selling limited sets.

Indeed, LEGO are the ones that choose all the rules of the game. They choose to take orders a year in advance. They choose the maximum number they will produce, even if many more people want them but are too late to order despite them not starting production for many months (presumably as they want to limit how much is paid to non-LEGO designers). They choose the limits. They choose not to do more regular crowd funding where you pay upfront but allow you to order and drop out. If someone decides to drop out, or buy something else in the meantime then flip what they bought as they no longer want it, it is on LEGO.

On 1/12/2024 at 5:05 AM, Artanis I said:

What shameful thing is done here? Purchasing to resell to those who missed out on the original run? Why is that wrong? Because he sold it for more than it cost him? What, is everyone supposed to run a charitable organisation making no profits?

Friends is getting a $100 castle set in 2HY, so the possibility of a “Year of Castle” at some point is now absolutely on the table! 

48 minutes ago, Lemerbrix said:

42638: cozy castle adventure, $99.99

47 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Friends is getting a $100 castle set in 2HY, so the possibility of a “Year of Castle” at some point is now absolutely on the table! 

Hmm, cozy castle sounds strange though, not sure that really is a castle set in that means. However if we would be getting year of castle next year, wouldn´t they rather wait with that one too then? So I would kinda say that makes it more unlikely to get it.

Just now, Black Falcon said:

Hmm, cozy castle sounds strange though, not sure that really is a castle set in that means. However if we would be getting year of castle next year, wouldn´t they rather wait with that one too then? So I would kinda say that makes it more unlikely to get it.

I meant that the set answers the question of whether LEGO would incorporate castle into their modern-day themes. 

I think Cozy Castle set could be similiar to a castle where you can rent a room in UK. 

Random question but is there a chance that the Creator Castle set from a couple of years back will get reduced before its finally discontinued?

I want to get it but I feel like it's been out for so long at this point that Lego could just quietly stop selling it any point 

13 minutes ago, Darth Shadowthrone said:

Random question but is there a chance that the Creator Castle set from a couple of years back will get reduced before its finally discontinued?

I want to get it but I feel like it's been out for so long at this point that Lego could just quietly stop selling it any point 

I doubt they'll stop selling it unless it's info is known on some end-of-life listing (or brickset has the end date) , and even those sometimes get moved.

Of course there have been cases of some sets just pretty much disappearing , or at least suddenly seem to have been out of stock permanently (seems to have happened with some of the last LEGO Movie 2 wave, and Hidden side last wave sets), but for a long-time set like this , I think a retirement date will be known well ahead of time.

However, I think this set will remain pretty much exclusive and not suddely have a wider release, and since it has not gotten a price increase (unlike Pirate ship which was not exclusive but got increased from €100 initial to €130 now), I think it's still a good deal , and LEGO.com still offers VIP points and GWP to somewhat compensate.

With the way LEGO does their discounts, it's pretty much unpredictable, I doubt they'll discount this set anytime soon, and for 2023, the major discounts were around Black Friday or End of Year sale, which are quite a while away for 2024.

Exclusive , or partial exclusive sets also seem to get discounted less unless it's a big negatively received set (football table, hulkbuster, black panther bust, queer eye loft etc. got discounted pretty quick, which might have indicated lack of sales to begin with, and with this castle, it's been around for so long, I think it's in fact a great seller still).

The set got a lot of fantastic alternate builds on rebrickable as well, like a few really good combi-builds , even a Lion Knights castle styled variant.

Edited by TeriXeri

7 minutes ago, Darth Shadowthrone said:

I've seen it at a couple of local stores for 20 - 30 percent off, but they sold out pretty quickly. I would guess that if LEGO does discount the set it will be out of stock online and only available at a few of their brick and mortar stores, until they sell out.

16 minutes ago, CallMeCarbiz said:

I've seen it at a couple of local stores for 20 - 30 percent off, but they sold out pretty quickly. I would guess that if LEGO does discount the set it will be out of stock online and only available at a few of their brick and mortar stores, until they sell out.

I bought an extra one from walmart for 69.99, then a week later they dropped the price again to 59.99.  Lego sets get rotated so fast, other brands like DC and star wars will sit there for more than a few years and not move. 

21 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

I doubt they'll stop selling it unless it's info is known on some end-of-life listing (or brickset has the end date) , and even those sometimes get moved.

Of course there have been cases of some sets just pretty much disappearing , or at least suddenly seem to have been out of stock permanently (seems to have happened with some of the last LEGO Movie 2 wave, and Hidden side last wave sets), but for a long-time set like this , I think a retirement date will be known well ahead of time.

However, I think this set will remain pretty much exclusive and not suddely have a wider release, and since it has not gotten a price increase (unlike Pirate ship which was not exclusive but got increased from €100 initial to €130 now), I think it's still a good deal , and LEGO.com still offers VIP points and GWP to somewhat compensate.

With the way LEGO does their discounts, it's pretty much unpredictable, I doubt they'll discount this set anytime soon, and for 2023, the major discounts were around Black Friday or End of Year sale, which are quite a while away for 2024.

Exclusive , or partial exclusive sets also seem to get discounted less unless it's a big negatively received set (football table, hulkbuster, black panther bust, queer eye loft etc. got discounted pretty quick, which might have indicated lack of sales to begin with, and with this castle, it's been around for so long, I think it's in fact a great seller still).

The set got a lot of fantastic alternate builds on rebrickable as well, like a few really good combi-builds , even a Lion Knights castle styled variant.

Thank you, that's all really helpful! It was partly seeing the builds on rebrickable that pushed me into wanting it - I also have the Medieval Blacksmith so I'm very tempted to combine the two into a couple of smaller buildings that will scale well with castle walls. 

I think I'll either see if double points are on at Lego.com soon or have a look at prices on Bricklink 

6 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

3-in-1 Castle  now has an end of life of 2024 on a few listings like Brickmerge, or https://www.brickfanatics.com/every-lego-set-retiring-this-year-and-beyond.

Lion Knights and Viking Village listed for 2025.

Which dates did they have before?

5 hours ago, Roebuck said:

MTS 2027 apparently (Brickmerge), well first we must get it before it can retire :tongue:

Retirement dates that are so far in the future don´t matter really anyways. The longer the period the more time for them to get changed.

On 1/11/2024 at 1:44 PM, Follows Closely said:

"Purchase" the bricklink set; you have 9 months to cancel the order if you like the Medieval Town Square and/or Dungeons and Dragons more.

Out of curiosity - since I never ordered a set on Bricklink like that - does it take the money when you place the order, or at a later point?

35 minutes ago, Cyprinus said:

Out of curiosity - since I never ordered a set on Bricklink like that - does it take the money when you place the order, or at a later point?

You are charged when it ships.

1 minute ago, Follows Closely said:

You are charged when it ships.

Thanks! That makes a few things easier to plan.

11 hours ago, Cyprinus said:

Thanks! That makes a few things easier to plan.

You might also get a temporary charge at the point of ordering, depending on how you pay. This is refunded though.

With that Ghost lamp shown in Survey, wolf pack showing up in MTS and Fortnite, hopefully it means a Wolfpack Tower is in development (or any of the major others, but that would be Black Knights, a second Lion Knights Castle, or Royal Knights which seem less likely right now) , I doubt they'd do a ghost figure suit in a GWP, and hopefully not via CMF for such a major part of classic castle.

Edited by TeriXeri

22 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

With that Ghost lamp shown in Survey, wolf pack showing up in MTS and Fortnite, hopefully it means a Wolfpack Tower is in development.

Doesn´t seem unlikely to me, since it maybe is one of the most Iconic Castle Sets, that isn´t actually showing a castle - especially given we already had the Forestmen Hideout, Majisto´s Workshop as GWPs and the Guarded in the Town Square. So it would be no surprise if they choose to make this next, and I would love to get this - and especially it should be a set that is more widely affordable.

On a side note, we also got a reference for that Black Knights in the Medieval Town Square, since there are three stickered Letters in that Set showing the crests of the Lion Knights, Black Falcons and the Black Knights. So this could aswell be a hint that this would be the faction we would be getting next - or can just mean the Designer is a fan of this faction. Same as I wouldn´t put to much thought in them choosing the Ghost as one of the models for the Lamp. I mean the Ghost is a quite Iconic Minifigure and overall a good choice for the lamp, if they are doing it with Glow in the Dark.

Anyways, when we consider the Wolfpack beein back and both the Ghost and the Black Knights as possible references to an possible Set the Black Knights Castle would come to mind, since it includes all three of them. I could actually see them doing the Wolfpack Tower next Year and the Black Knights Castle for the Year after.