BrickJagger

Future Castle Sets?

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I like Nexo Knights, but not really as a Castle theme, so I definitely agree with you on this point. This at least is what crazy vehicles should look like in a true Castle theme, as at least they are just mildly hyperbolic takes on real medieval weaponry.

Personally, thought that Nexo Knights combined the two worst parts of the above: poor color choices (neon and primary colors) and crazy over the top cartoonish fantasy elements.  Really a techno-space cartoony element.  None of that appealed to me at all and I did not consider any of it a castle theme.

I wasn't too crazy about the troll wheel and the other over the top designs from the Fantasy Era, as x105Black points out, although I did like the colors for MOCs, and I was much happier with those designs than Nexo Knights or not having anything at all. 

I side with Klaus-Dieter, though, in that I really liked the Kingdoms line with all the neat colors and detailed medieval buildings of both military and civilian sides.  More factions like that, perhaps some more detailed updated stuff like the wolfpack guy from the CMF line a while back, would be very cool to see indeed.

16 hours ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

Which I for sure do not want to see are a fantasy theme like the one(s) before Kingdoms, crazy designs and unfitting colors like in the last Castle theme or only the always repeating king's castles with only a bit additional stuff.

What was unfitting about the colors of the 2013 Castle sets compared to the Kingdoms sets? From what I saw the main thing they did was use blue in place of red and red in place of dark green. And to be honest, if it weren't for those brightly-colored accents, those sets would have been even MORE repetitive. I know I've started to get extremely bored at LEGO conventions seeing grey castle after grey castle after grey castle.

Just now, Aanchir said:

What was unfitting about the colors of the 2013 Castle sets compared to the Kingdoms sets? From what I saw the main thing they did was use blue in place of red and red in place of dark green. And to be honest, if it weren't for those brightly-colored accents, those sets would have been even MORE repetitive. I know I've started to get extremely bored at LEGO conventions seeing grey castle after grey castle after grey castle.

Forget the colors, it was the design that was lame about 2013. We’ve all talked over and over again about the importance of minifigs to a successful castle theme, and that translates to high quality heraldry, which was not good for 2013. 

I have no desire to revisit every detail of 2013’s failings, but suffice it to say that following the greatness of Kingdoms, 2013 was a huge let down. 

Of course, as many others have said since then, compared to Nexo, 2013 was great. I know my perspective has shifted that way. 

3 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

Those designs are a bit over the top for my liking too. However saying that, I'd still take those sets over Nexo Knights any day.

Oh absolutely.

3 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

This at least is what crazy vehicles should look like in a true Castle theme, as at least they are just mildly hyperbolic takes on real medieval weaponry.

My point is that a true Castle theme shouldn't have crazy vehicles.

13 minutes ago, SirBlake said:

Forget the colors, it was the design that was lame about 2013. We’ve all talked over and over again about the importance of minifigs to a successful castle theme, and that translates to high quality heraldry, which was not good for 2013. 

I have no desire to revisit every detail of 2013’s failings, but suffice it to say that following the greatness of Kingdoms, 2013 was a huge let down. 

Of course, as many others have said since then, compared to Nexo, 2013 was great. I know my perspective has shifted that way. 

I was mostly asking @Klaus-Dieter because it seemed like a peculiar criticism for a series that was so much like Kingdoms to begin with, though it occurs to me now that with the "crazy designs" comment he could have been talking about Nexo Knights (I'm not really used to people who dislike it referring to it as a Castle theme).

Edited by Aanchir

Fantasy Era suffered from some ridiculous set designs. Castle 2013 had oversimplified sets, and mildly cartoonish heraldry and fig design. Both seemed to be targeted at younger consumers, though the second was probably the younger target group.

Nexo Knights did have a number of good usable fantasy parts and figs. Was it enough to satisfy builders who are into a certain level of realism? No. But it was a Castle theme. Now it is done, and we can hopefully see the return of a Kingdoms level of realism. The kinds parts available now could lead to some more interesting set designs, and maybe some more daring architecture in the fortifications builds. I think I'll do some experimenting in LDD in the meantime, because the newer parts will show up in usable colors somewhere.

6 hours ago, x105Black said:

I don't mind fantasy elements and fantasy factions, but I don't really care for things like this:
1435.png
1348.png
The designs of these things are a little over the top for me.  I also don't like the oversized swords.  That said, I can really appreciate the colors used in all of these images.  And I wouldn't mind seeing an updated troll bigfig.

These two are actually some I like quite a bit. I always loved the idea of having a large beast/ogre pulling a carriage or siege engine as a kid (but, had to settle for horses or the Dragon Master's dragon) and the one above that is downright realistic in its own fantasy way.

Agreed on the heraldry aspect as far as 2013's line. That is actually one thing I have loved about NK--the variety of shields is wonderful. There are lots of wacky ones, yes, but also so many great ones with dragons and towers that could for right into a traditional medieval setting. The major problem there is that they are printed on transparent pieces, which makes their usefulness limited for more traditional use (unless you are specifically making a stained-glass window--and then every other piece has to upside down to rule them properly).

If we ever got Return Of The King (Gondor) sets then those troll siege weapons aren't very far off from what the official sets would've ended up as.

I like the tower, even though it is undersized and the wheels are enormous in scale. And the colours are perfect.

In the spirit of “you don’t know what you have until it’s gone”, I recently went through all of the fantasy sets, and every one that x105 high lighted is one that I had previously considered too over the top and would not warrant a purchase.

Now that we’re years away from quality Kingdoms/middle earth sets, I would love it if something like that were on the shelves now. Still not ideal, but worlds better than 2013/Nexo.

funny how a little perspective works. 

3 hours ago, rodiziorobs said:

These two are actually some I like quite a bit. I always loved the idea of having a large beast/ogre pulling a carriage or siege engine as a kid (but, had to settle for horses or the Dragon Master's dragon) and the one above that is downright realistic in its own fantasy way.

The one on top is definitely the best of the bunch, but I'm just not into siege vehicles anyways.  I'm sure they could do something better now.

31 minutes ago, SirBlake said:

In the spirit of “you don’t know what you have until it’s gone”, I recently went through all of the fantasy sets, and every one that x105 high lighted is one that I had previously considered too over the top and would not warrant a purchase.

Now that we’re years away from quality Kingdoms/middle earth sets, I would love it if something like that were on the shelves now. Still not ideal, but worlds better than 2013/Nexo.

funny how a little perspective works. 

I agree, looking back I'd much rather have these than 2.5 years of Nexo Knights.  So if this is what we get, so be it.  I would hope to get something a little more grounded, less outlandish.  But I wouldn't mind seeing a modern take on these factions, or another similar fantasy faction, in a new Castle theme.

11 hours ago, gedren_y said:

The second of those sets was actually great for parts. And it is based on a real siege device.

I agree about the "scimitar" from those sets. Since some of the LOTR weapons have appeared in non-licensed sets we can hope that they might replace the cartoonish pieces.

There are 6 gorgeous copper colored LOTR Orc swords in the Ninjago City set. Used as architectural greebling. 

Crazy idea for those seeking to revitalize Castle a bit. Go through Ideas. Propose a set. A real legit set. Not one of the over the top super detailed impress everybody MOC's that seem to be the only Medieval sets ever listed there. Put forth something like Mill Village Raid or Medieval Market Village. Something smaller in scale, that tells a story and works as a playset. Maybe a Knight Fighting a Dragon in a small village with a Barn and a House or Shop? Push something through that could prime the pump if you will. 

18 hours ago, Grover said:

Personally, thought that Nexo Knights combined the two worst parts of the above: poor color choices (neon and primary colors) and crazy over the top cartoonish fantasy elements.  Really a techno-space cartoony element.  None of that appealed to me at all and I did not consider any of it a castle theme.

I really liked the 90s Space-like aesthetic of the knights' rides, not to mention all those snowplow-like parts and canopies. But, if the theme were set in space instead, I don't think Castle fans would have such a hard time with it, as it would be a Space theme inspired after Castle, not the other way around. I personally feel that this would have been how the theme would have turned out if it weren't for the unholy alliance of Disney and Star Wars. God forbid Lego should step into the final frontier as so to violate Disney's territory. :hmpf:

17 hours ago, x105Black said:

My point is that a true Castle theme shouldn't have crazy vehicles.

But if Lego insisted that it should, they should be like that, as opposed to spaceships.

Who here likes tan castles? The upcoming Harry Potter set has a nice wealth of parts. Here's hoping some of those new parts get wider usage.

Just now, gedren_y said:

Who here likes tan castles? The upcoming Harry Potter set has a nice wealth of parts. Here's hoping some of those new parts get wider usage.

Here's the image for those wondering:

Spoiler

roblud9apqft8lfkb8f7.jpg

It's funny that you mention tan castles, as I've always thought that Lego should make a Classic Castle out of Brick Yellow as a homage to 375, being a more realistic take on Bright Yellow.

48 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I really liked the 90s Space-like aesthetic of the knights' rides, not to mention all those snowplow-like parts and canopies. But, if the theme were set in space instead, I don't think Castle fans would have such a hard time with it, as it would be a Space theme inspired after Castle, not the other way around.

This is arguably how it turned out.

24 minutes ago, x105Black said:

This is arguably how it turned out.

I agree--it is very much a space theme.  For those who really liked the classic space, it was great.  For those of us who wanted Castle, not so much.

As for tan castles, I'm 100% for it.  Tan, white, salmon, light grey, dark grey, black... any color that could be conceived of as even semi-realistic.  But blue?  No one ever built blue castles.  Neon orange?  no.

Most castles were built with the stone from their region.  Carcassonne looks very different depending on the lighting (browse some of these pictures):

https://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g187151-d578756-i18518243-Chateau_Comtal-Carcassonne_Center_Carcassonne_Aude_Occitanie.html

From light grey to tan to salmon.

I also think it would be interesting to see castle designs from the old Roman forts built on a hill, to pallisaded walls, to high castles and double concentric designs with full gatehouses.  There's a lot of options for designers.

That looks really good to me, too.  I'm all for color schemes like that.  Sadly, that came about during my dark ages.  Otherwise, I would have bought a couple of those just for parts.

Beyond just the tan parts, there are an amazing array of new parts in the set, ranging from cones that can be used for roofs (not just the one already appearing in Disney Princess but also an "intermediate" cone panel that fits between the 4x8x6 half-cone and the 2x2x2 cone), slopes (a brand-new 1x1 "double slope"), accessories (Hagrid's lantern looks great and could find great use in historic builds, and candles are plenty useful as well) and windows (a new window "glass" piece for the 1x2x2 window frame that matches the diagonal bars used for the1x2x2 2/3 arched window frame). All in all a lot more new stuff to work with than I would have expected.

5 minutes ago, Grover said:

That looks really good to me, too.  I'm all for color schemes like that.  Sadly, that came about during my dark ages.  Otherwise, I would have bought a couple of those just for parts.

Maybe not, but like I've mentioned on this topic before, perhaps we just could see sets done for Disney's 2019 remake of Aladdin come around that time; so, perhaps that could hypothetically give us some fairly comparable set material. 

Yeah, some great new pieces.  I may have to scout out some of those pieces and a few useful minifigures on BrickLink.

I do get a kick out of everyone who went 'yay Nexo is dead, maybe we can finally get real castle' and LEGO went 'nah, here is more Harry Potter!' haha