I've built a number of large models recently. IMHO, 8043 represents the best of RC models, and NK's Predator represents the best of non-RC models today. But they're all large models. Now I'd like to explore more mid-to-small sized models to see what Technic can achieve at a smaller scale.

So what are the best mid-sized technic models that you can build with parts readily available today? No matter whether they are official sets or MOCs, RC or non-RC.

8443 and 8455. The backhoe in particular is a fabulous example of what can be achieved in a moderate space with a moderate number of parts.

The 8289 might interest you for playability.

Jurgen;s Little Devil is a fun RC car of moderate size.

Do you have an upper limit in part count in mind? Some flagships of years ago would be considered small scale today but are still some of the best flagships ever such as 8455 at only about 700 parts, that has to be number 1. Other favourites of mine include 8439 and 8858. As for MOCs, I think this is OK for 199 parts :blush:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=96669&st=25#entry1939843

Edited by allanp

Thanks for the recommendations! I don't have a strict upper limit in part count. Maybe less than 1200 parts. But I am thinking more about the physical size, not the number of parts. 8043 only has 1124 parts but I consider it big because it is hard to just pick it up and play with.

Looks like most of the recommendations above use old pneumatic parts. The only pneumatic model that I have built is 8110. Not my favorite, but I think I will give one of the smaller ones a try.

As for RC models, I think some of Madoca' RC cars will fall into this category. They're fantastic and I've already built the SUV MK1 and MK2.

Any recommendations for non-RC, non-pneumatic models?

Edited by Superfield

try this:

http://rebrickable.com/search?q=&theme=001&numpieces=0&maxpieces=950&year=1998&yearto=2015&official=1&custom=1&pt=0&c=-1&sets=&showprints=1

less than 950 parts, technic theme and years after 1998 - more of a studless focus on the factory sets. All the MOCs are younger than that anyway.

If you don't actually mind pneumatics and want to see what can be really crammed into a small space, Jennifer Clark's skid steer loaded is worth a look

8455 all the way! You won't find a model that hase so many functions and features in such a small size! It also has alsmost perfect proportions and looks simply wonderful!

Buy one if you can! It's worth the high price!

i was very temped to add 8109 to my list of favourite mid size models as well, but wasn't sure of the OP's part limit. But yeah, great set with great functions.

Personally my favorite medium size set is buggy 8048. It has just few functions (steering, suspension and fake engine) but I've built lots of alternative models out of its parts.

8455 is outstanding. One of the best models ever

Also very good: 8862, 8425, 8431

Just from the part count you could call today 8868 a mid size model: and it is one of the best models ever released by TLG. Each Lego lover should have built at least 8455 and 8868 !

Most of what I like to build is midsize. Most of the MOCs are non RC. Many have instructions, so feel free to build what you want.

Most of what I like to build is midsize. Most of the MOCs are non RC. Many have instructions, so feel free to build what you want.

Indeed:) I am glad that I found your blog when searching. Very cool place. Thanks!

Personally my favorite medium size set is buggy 8048. It has just few functions (steering, suspension and fake engine) but I've built lots of alternative models out of its parts.

Love your alternative builds!

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=98843 this is one o The best small rally car i've ever seen!

This looks so great. Does it have instructions?

I will answer your question OP in a moment, but first - at this point what constitutes a mid-size model?

Is it really just piece count? The finished size of official Technic sets are only getting larger, and building popular MOCs and MODs may require two or more of a specific Technic set's parts.

Does complexity factor into this somewhere? To me 42022 borders on small even though it has hundreds of pieces, but I wouldn't call it complex.

8455 could be considered mid-size in finished size, and in piece count, but its complexity is very high.

42025 and 42042 are really large-sized for their piece count, whereas 42008 with a similar piece count, is smaller - but its complexity is higher. So in 2015, I would consider a set like 42024 to be all-around mid-size.

Now, to answer your question - "So what are the best mid-sized technic models that you can build with parts readily available today?" noting that "Now I'd like to explore more mid-to-small sized models to see what Technic can achieve at a smaller scale."

As impressive as the Technic Hall of Fame is, and some of the more recent MOCs on this board, I have to take the bolded above (my emphasis) into consideration. That eliminates less-common colors, pieces, suspensions, wheels, etc etc. Aside from its particular shade of green, 42008 would do very nicely here. (As of this posting I think it is a good candidate anyway.)

I also think the 42028 is successful in form and function. While not a technical marvel, it keeps the piece count low while still looking the part. This is about as traditionally mid-size as you are going to get.

But overall, my vote would be for an official model from a few years ago - 8109. Bog-standard color scheme (yellow, red, black, gray) and those jack-of-all-trades wheels - which means the parts are available. But it has a great cabin the likes of which you only see on flagship sets now, and is a sleeper technical marvel.

While we are speaking about new models, I would like to mention 8858, which was pretty cool at the time it was released.