Sign in to follow this  
TitusV

Husbandry-The Vineyard

21189163465_18f4b49cc5_z.jpg

The following information comes from Wikipedia, page winemaking

After the harvest,

21001038340_28ef57776a_k.jpg

the grapes are taken into a winery and prepared for primary ferment.

21001252418_ecb54db22b_k.jpg

At this stage red wine making diverges from white wine making. Red wineis made from the must (pulp) of red or black grapes and fermentation occurs together with the grape skins, which give the wine its color.To start primary fermentation yeast may be added to the must for red wine or may occur naturally as ambient yeast on the grapes or in the air. Yeast may be added to the juice for white wine. During this fermentation, which often takes between one and two weeks, the yeast converts most of the sugars in the grape juice into ethanol (alcohol) and carbon dioxide. The carbon dioxide is lost to the atmosphere.

21001246608_55c21e834c_z.jpg

After the primary fermentation of red grapes the free run wine is pumped off into tanks and the skins are pressed to extract the remaining juice and wine. The press wine is blended with the free run wine at the winemaker's discretion.

21189175975_36a9da3b9b_k.jpg

Red wine is sometimes transferred to oak barrels to mature for a period of weeks or months; this practice imparts oakaromas and some tannin to the wine. The wine must be settled or clarified and adjustments made prior to bottling.

21162930796_ab7b6f5bde_k.jpg

The time from harvest to drinking can vary from a few months for Beaujolais nouveau wines to over twenty years for wine of good structure with high levels of acid, tannin or sugar. However, only about 10% of all red and 5% of white wine will taste better after five years than it will after just one year.[1] Depending on the quality of grape and the target wine style, some of these steps may be combined or omitted to achieve the particular goals of the winemaker. Many wines of comparable quality are produced using similar but distinctly different approaches to their production; quality is dictated by the attributes of the starting material and not necessarily the steps taken during vinification.

21001259378_dfe5ffe528_b.jpg

---------------------------------------

Additional pictures

21002352089_a0227d2364_z.jpg

21001248048_c906db053f_k.jpg

A very informative entry! The build looks great, and you can really sense the atmosphere. The water is a good attempt, but it seems to fall short in comparison to the rest of the build.

Very nice build, some clever use of pieces here! :thumbup: I would have liked to see a few more grapes on the vine, but nice job walking us through the process!

This is my favorite build from you yet! The building looks great, as does the river and mud banks :thumbup:

Good work with the grapevines, and fig posing too :classic:

Easily your best build so far! Nothing is to overwhelming on it's own, but together it is a very scenic MOC.

Nice build, educational too :thumbup: Cute cottage with lovely detailing. The shots of the process add to it and make it a great entry. I'm not sure about the water, I think it is out of sync with the rural setting, though it is executed nicely. :thumbup:

Nice build overall and great detail with the hat :classic:

I also like the informative description of the build a lot.

Thank you all for the kind comments. I know there should be something better as grapes, but die to my not possesing a single purple brick, IT becape the trans-red you can see, but i had only two of them either, so... @cpt Braunsfeld: i didn't knowvit was your avatar, i just put him together in the local Lego shop and was planning to use him in all my builds as the man who has to do the dirty work, but if you don't like that, i'll give him another face. The wizard had is an idea from DC, credits to him