Ondra

Technic 2016 Discussion and Speculation

This year I'll try to get as much sets as I can. There's all very good looking.

The only thing that I still thinking about is the steering wheel on the helicopter's hook. Is that for closing the cargo Bay?

Unfortunately, that appears to be the case. I'm all for new colors, but I think Lego should stick to a new color, and then release a bunch of sets with that color, rather than pick a new color for every set.

Just a little off topic, can it go down in the records that I coined the term "Technic USC"?

Nope, if anything, I coined that term. :laugh: What's the first instance of you using that term?

When I suggested that technic might be making a series of larger USC type sets...it's a few pages back, you can go check if you want :classic: :classic:

And I made a suggestion about it on April 1st of this year, before you even joined this site. But, in actuality, neither of us coined it. Lego has applied the term to several Star Wars sets, going back to at least 2002. Applying a previously existing term to something different is not coining it. If you came up with a term for something that previously did not have an official or commonly accepted term, that would be different. But, neither of us have, so oh well.

And I made a suggestion about it on April 1st of this year, before you even joined this site. But, in actuality, neither of us coined it. Lego has applied the term to several Star Wars sets, going back to at least 2002. Applying a previously existing term to something different is not coining it. If you came up with a term for something that previously did not have an official or commonly accepted term, that would be different. But, neither of us have, so oh well.

Sorry, didn't know you thought of that haha, well, in that case we'll call it technic super sets=TSS :laugh: :laugh:

How does this relate to Technic?

How about something that does?

I finished making a mockup of the body work and a bit of the chassis of 42050, just to get an impression of the size of it. I also placed it on a test chassis I had built.

22266981353_78ac99e580.jpg42050 boilerplate by Saberwing007, on Flickr

22899262091_d6da8e7440.jpg42050 mockup by Saberwing007, on Flickr

The chassis is not quite perfect, the wheels are not inset enough, but the general idea is there. The proportions might look a bit off, but a real funny car looks very much like this:

2012probatteriescar.JPG

However, I am able to make some conclusions about this model from the mock up, colors aside. Funny cars do not have rear wings like 42050, instead having more of a rear deck, as in the above photo. This might mean that the B model might have the same chassis as the A model, only difference being the assembled body work. Aside from the exhausts and the wing, the model seems quite accurate, even having a central cockpit, using a new panel in blue. Unfortunately, I do not think the model will be able to wheelie on its own, needing some kind of mechanism to do so. I actually hooked up a motor to this chassis,minus the bodywork, and tested it, and it was barely able to do it. To get the chassis and the body work to fit, I had to make the chassis almost seven studs longer, meaning that there is probably no chance of unassisted wheelies. The only other possibility is that the gearbox is used to control whether the model wheelies or not. One gear makes the model go fast, and the other one has more torque to pop wheelies. I just hope they don't make this model too fast, as a switched model like this could be hard to catch up with. Probably better to make it fully remote controlled, I dunno. Better still would be to make it pullback.

Edited by Saberwing40k

Probably better to make it fully remote controlled, I dunno. Better still would be to make it pullback.

Has there been any pullback set that can do the wheelie? I don't know much about pullback sets.

Just a little off topic, can it go down in the records that I coined the term "Technic USC"?

You are indeed the first to use the term USC :wink:

If you mean UCS, you're definitely not the first. Technic UCS has been discussed quite often in the past. And like Saberwing explained, Technic UCS is merely combining two existing terms.

Hmmm... dragster will be fun to play, if equipped with 3x hardcoupled pullback motors plus some ratchet mechanism. Bang! And kitchen table is out of race)

Yes most probably I will buy it and my son will confiscate it :-)

I read todays rumour on brickpicker that ultimate vehicle will be batmobile from upcoming batman v superman movie.I take this only as rumour, so take it with grain of salt.But it will be interesting that turn out to be batmobile, imagine all the gadgets, also it will explain why we dont know name already only nickname "ultimate vehicle" , that is often using for batmobiles...

I read todays rumour on brickpicker that ultimate vehicle will be batmobile from upcoming batman v superman movie.I take this only as rumour, so take it with grain of salt.But it will be interesting that turn out to be batmobile, imagine all the gadgets, also it will explain why we dont know name already only nickname "ultimate vehicle" , that is often using for batmobiles...

Do you have a link to that rumor?

A Batmobile would kind of make sense, as something like that would definitely hit a wider audience than a "just Technic" set, even if it is a Lamborghini/Ferrari/Ford/Whatever.. Pretty much guarantees a lot of sales in spite of the high price, so I can see that as a fairly safe bet for TLG.

That being said, I hope it is not the case, as it's bound to be black (with some very very dark gray), and Technical functionality would probably be not first priority.

Edited by D3K

That being said, I hope it is not the case, as it's bound to be black (with some very very dark gray), and Technical functionality would probably be not first priority.

Not to mention that the new batmobile looks like an absolute mess, like the Tumbler and the Tim burton Batmo had an illegitimate child.

Im getting the feeling that next year is going to be really cheap for me technic wise, nothing above the go-kart appeals to me, and the rumours about the Ultimate IP car keep going in directions i dont like at all, first the BMW i8, now the new Batmobile..