9v system

Monorail: where should I start?

Hello everyone!

After doing Gbc for quite some time I have found that a really want to get into monorail. However knowing that it has been discontinued for so long and it is getting quite expensive I would like to know where I should start.

Thanks

I would start by buying some tracks, a motor and monorail base.

monorail1.png

Other option is to forget about the original system and focus on the "new" idea:

monorair303.jpg

I think the space monorail set costs a bit less than the airport shuttle monorail.

I spent some money on monorail, but I think it was worth every penny. It really bring my city to life.

Here is a video showing two separate monorail lines in action.

I would just buy partial sets off ebay. Don't try to buy a complete set. The key is getting the motor and battery box and monorail platforms along with some track and supports. Once you have a working train (custom or built to original specs), you can then buy specific monorail track that you need. That way you are not wasting money on stuff you won't use. The straight tracks seem to be the most expensive.

I would highly recommend getting the monorail though. It's probably my favorite part of my city.

Where to start? Remortgage your house ;)

Monorail is great, certainly worth it. But as you know rather pricey. Set up a saved search on eBay and just keep looking. Be patient and wait for bargains to come up. Don't go for complete sets unless you really really want one. Try Bricklink for the basic parts as outlined above.

I see you're in Australia, so unfortunately I think you're going to spending a fair bit on postage as you might not find that much in Australia, you'll have to rely on international sellers.

I started with Monorail in 2014 and planned to buy each part and then build a custom one. But it failed on e-bay until i got my hands on the 6990 set. I bought some rail parts bouth on e-bay and Bricklink. Even a set of switchtracks that now cost a lot.

They was working so and so, but fixed those.Have been on a few local events with it and woking god.

So say it is worth it. I dreamt about the 6990 in my childhood. But now i have it.

If I ever do a Monorail, I think I'd use Power Functions to build a custom track. The Lego monorail that was released beck in the day looks more like an elevated tram or a People Mover than an actual monorail. I like what Jopiek said about the "new idea." The new idea looks like an actual ALWEG monorail type, and would be great to build a Disneyland style monorail with.

If I ever do a Monorail, I think I'd use Power Functions to build a custom track. The Lego monorail that was released beck in the day looks more like an elevated tram or a People Mover than an actual monorail. I like what Jopiek said about the "new idea." The new idea looks like an actual ALWEG monorail type, and would be great to build a Disneyland style monorail with.

Joe Meno has had a lot of luck building the Disney style monorail using the new power functions model of Masao Hidaka. I also have run Nate's suspended monorail for more than 12 days of Lego events and both are sturdy substitutes for the original monorail. The original monorail is the best for maintenance free running, but the others work well.

Here is some information on the different builds: https://issuu.com/twomorrows/docs/brickjournal24preview/21

Has anyone tried using regular technic beams for monorail track, instead of 2x4s? It seems that would simplify track design, such as curves, switch tracks, and would put less stress on the pieces.

I had a set from when I was a kid, since dark ages I have topped up with partial buys on brick link and eBay, wait for the right deal and good luck

* kc2dc

Very cool the part of the video showing the inside og the Ferris Wheel!

Edited by Chilis