Jim

[REVIEW] 2H 2015 Video Reviews

Sariel, am I missing sth? Where's the Crawler Crane review???

Where are the Crawler Crane reviews at all?????? I don't seem to find them.

There was the live build on TechnicBRICKS

http://www.technicbricks.com

That's not what I've been asking for ... what I'm waiting for is a proper review from Sariel (video-review) and a proper review from Jim (written review).

Make it happen, please!

There was the live build on TechnicBRICKS

http://www.technicbricks.com

I've seen that, still it's not the quality of a review I want, we already got one for the Fireplane as well as for the Mercedes Benz Arocs from Sariel ... so what's the deal with the Crawler Crane???

I don't mind disrespecting the deadlines, altough that is quite nasty, but if someone is given an upcoming set in advance and for free, then that lucky someone should be fair enough to present the whole set, with stickerz!!! Without stickers, the job is only half done and that is sad and lame! If the set is ment to be used further for mocing, the stickers can be removed easily! So, I'm still waiting for a proper presentation, thank you.

Yeah, not putting the stickers on indicates how disinterested he is in reviewing in the first place, since it's basically saying he will disassemble the sets as soon as he finishes... :cry_sad::thumbdown:

That's not what I've been asking for ... what I'm waiting for is a proper review from Sariel (video-review) and a proper review from Jim (written review).

Make it happen, please!

I've seen that, still it's not the quality of a review I want, we already got one for the Fireplane as well as for the Mercedes Benz Arocs from Sariel ... so what's the deal with the Crawler Crane???

Thanks, I didn't know about that review:

I've found this video of the 42042. It's not a review, but a very nice "speed build":

Great speed build and impressions, the 42042 Crawler Crane looks fantastic. However I still prefer the 42043 Mercedes Benz Arocs 3245 ... in the end I may end up getting all 3 LEGO Technic 2h 2015 sets. LEGO did an amazing job with the Technic line-up this year!

Brick Builder is an excellent Lego channel....i watch all the review/builds, as you can see if any of the new sets have any new parts on new colours etc.

It is also nice to see how each Lego set is made, and despite being speed builds they are slow enough the see the parts and the assembly.

I would feel grateful if I even got a chance to see 5571 in flesh, not to mention own one :)

Anyway, here's my review of the 42040 Fire Plane. I'm not going to list pros or cons this time because this set totally rocks. It made me forget all about the Cargo Plane and I will hug it and swoosh it and call it George ;)

Excellent review as always Sarieal...many thanks, i really like the look of this model...for the part count it looks pretty big with a decent array of functions.

Will you be putting up a review of the B model?....since you have the instructions for it?

I think I will. Need to get the crane done first, though.

when you do the crane....can you note how long the strings are?...are they a new length, or are they the same as 42009 etc.

Can you please post the partslist of the crane?

based on the build video from Brick Builder i belive only the the blue curved panels are new, the revised design they started using a couple of years back...and possibly the strinf is a longer length then before....same thickness as 42009. i saw nothing parts wise we havent seen before.

when you do the crane....can you note how long the strings are?...are they a new length, or are they the same as 42009 etc.

based on the build video from Brick Builder i belive only the the blue curved panels are new, the revised design they started using a couple of years back...and possibly the strinf is a longer length then before....same thickness as 42009. i saw nothing parts wise we havent seen before.

I just wanna see how many blue there is and also if I could build it in yellow from my own collection...

I just wanna see how many blue there is and also if I could build it in yellow from my own collection...

ir uses alot of 1x15 in blue....more then 20 i would say, it uses 1x11, 1x7 in blue also....pretty sure you could make it in yellow easy enough.

I love the use of the dark blue flag to make sure the wires of the PF -parts don't mesh with the gear below.

I love the use of the dark blue flag to make sure the wires of the PF -parts don't mesh with the gear below.

i was wondering why they used dark blue....but the flag does not come in standard blue....so they used the closest possible colour.

though you can get the part in trans dark blue....not sure how it would look though........

I think I will. Need to get the crane done first, though.

Can't wait for your review on the Crawler Crane, any idea when it'll be finished?

I'm filming the last of it, it should be published tomorrow morning. Sorry about the delay.

Great videos! I can't wait til they are on the shelves.

Edited by gmshades

My 42042 review, as they say, better late than never :)

Pros:

- color!

- parts!

- the most complex gearbox I've seen in a Lego set

- easy to control

- easy to build, even with all the strings, but at the same time quite educational

Cons:

- kinda sluggish overall

- can't imagine adding RC to this thing

- it's actually not so pretty once you look past the color

- the load capacity is laughable because of a clutch gear

- the B-model is almost the same, with exact same functions

- it can do anything except turn

Edited by Sariel

Great review! Thanx! I like the crane but it's impossible to buy everything... I bought new clutches from BL... I can make it yellow later if I want... :)

Max...

Edited by MaxSupercars

Another great video! I would guess that the lifting capacity was limited intentionally due to lack of counterweight. On a real crane, you would add counterweight when lifting a heavy load. Even with the new turntable, you only want to put so much overturning moment on it.

I was really surprised by the complexity of the gearbox because I was not expecting that out of this model. The 8480 submarine B-model uses the same scheme of using the gearbox levers to reverse direction with a constantly running motor.

The 8480 submarine B-model uses the same scheme of using the gearbox levers to reverse direction with a constantly running motor.

Great piece of info. Sadly, that's the set most of us can only wish for :)

To be honest, at the moment I have no idea how exactly the 42042's gearbox works. It's a monster. Maybe if I spent some time taking it slowly apart...

Edited by Sariel

To be honest, at the moment I have no idea how exactly the 42042's gearbox works. It's a monster. Maybe if I spent some time taking it slowly apart...

If only there were a handy Technicopedia article going over how it works, step-by-step ........

Sariel, great review, I've been wanting to get one of those horse-head squirrel hamster feeders :grin: . What string did you use for Cranezilla? And as Blakbird mentioned, adding additional counterweights will help the stability, probably add additional battery boxes is the best solution - any ideas what the weight limit will be and still allow the turntable to rotate freely? Information will be useful as I just know my kid is gonna want to make the boom as long as possible

I was using original strings for the Cranezilla, no changes here. I can't really figure out how much load the new turntable can handle, but when you look at the inner side of the halves, there is a reinforcing collar around the center. This gives me hope it can take a lot.

Thank you sariel!!

do you really want to say that gearbox is more complex than that one of 8043 or 8258?

This would be interesting News ;-)

I ask this because 1 or 2 years ago there was a MOC of an excavator here which introduces a gearbox working with the same principle: constantly running motor and 3 levers - each with a driving ring - which operates the functions by switiching direction. Quite clever but also very clean and actually quite simple and very good understandable. So i had assumed that that one of this blue monster would be quite similar... Obviously a false assumption... ;-)

Edited by Kumbbl

What do you think can be modified with this set to carry all of the Hammonds you have? And even with a 1-meter boom?

Also, suspension. Is it possible?

:head_back::head_back: :head_back: :head_back: :head_back: :head_back: :head_back: :head_back: :head_back: :head_back: :head_back: :head_back: :head_back: :head_back: :head_back: :head_back: :head_back: :head_back: :head_back: :head_back: :head_back: :head_back: :head_back: :head_back: :head_back: :head_back:

You should do more outtake clips, sir.

And I think it's a good thing the drive is slow. You wouldn't want any of your hamsters to use 'em. I heard them plotting to use that wrecking ball attachment in 9457 to lay waste to your home! :oh3::head_back: