Sign in to follow this  
Kodan Black

[O - F09] Realities

Tags: Science, Octan, Civil, Vehicle

// PERSONAL DIARY //

As a recent graduate of the Octan Science Academy (with honors!) I was excited to see my first assignment in the real world. I'd

been sent to Arium Minor to work with Dr. Martenz. I hadn't been quite sure what I would be doing, but it felt good to finally

be able to contribute and Dr. Martenz was well regarded within the company.

Upon arrival at the Octan Corp ship on planet I introduced myself to Dr. Martenz and was a bit saddened by how little attention he seemed to pay to my arrival.

He seemed distracted by his work and quite busy. He said that some of the local alien pathogens were fascinating and had a lot

of potential in the biomass field. He then said he needed me to take a pair of monkeys from Medical down to the Lab. They had

been exposed to some of the pathogens and he needed them monitored.

I tried to tell him that while I minored in xenobiochemology that my primary field of expertise was robotics including drones

and autonomous vehicles. He asked if I had taken the "REQUIRED clinicals" at the academy, to which I had to say I had. We were

short staffed at the moment he explained and given that I knew the proper safety protocols and had a containment suit I would

need to contribute to the needs of the company and not be as worried about my own desires. "There will be plenty of

opportunities to play with your robots!" he said rather dismissively.

Obviously he thought of himself as a true scientist and I was merely a boy playing with toys to him. But he was an important

scientist and I didn't want to make a bad first impression so I complied. I had been a bit worried about his repeated warnings

to keep my containment suit on and NOT let the monkeys escape. Plus it was disconcerting that he asked if all of my next of kin

info had been filled out.

The dart gun mounted near my seat seemed more for show than to actually be used. I made sure to drive very carefully and ensure

my cargo made it to the Lab safely. It may not be how I pictured my post-Academy life, but it certainly isn't boring!

IMG_3044.jpg

IMG_3045.jpg

IMG_3046.jpg

IMG_3047.jpg

Apologies for the bad pictures and quick build, I joined mid-week and thus was quite rushed. Hopefully churn out better stuff going forward! Go Octan!

Edited by Kodan Black

Lovely story! You really captured the bureaucratic nightmare I imagine Octancorp to be under the surface with the frustrating plight of your character! :laugh: You containment ship's nice too! Don't let those monkeys out! :look:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Seems very octan ish...I like, nice quick build, don't worry to much about the photos mine suck as well...

Great vehicle, and a wonderful story! I love the containment unit in the back!

hehe - love it! :laugh: There really ought to be some extra points for the first use of monkeys, right Bob? :poke:

Haha, fun build and story! If you're frustrated in Octan, consider joining M.A.N.T.I.S.! We're always in need of new scientists!...for some reason...

Glad to have you on the team! That's a cool little vehicle - it reminds me of something you'd see at the airport, so it definitely seems appropriate for it to be zipping about inside the ship.

Plus it was disconcerting that he asked if all of my next of kin info had been filled out.

:laugh:

That's a cool little vehicle - it reminds me of something you'd see at the airport, so it definitely seems appropriate for it to be zipping about inside the ship.

That was actually my inspiration! I'm so happy someone caught that.

Thanks to the judges!