Sign in to follow this  
Bregir

[CG:E2, HC vs DK] Eastgate defenses

After reports of heavy siege equipment and chariots being positioned for an attack on Eastgate, the city council has commissioned improvements to the defences. After the long conflict between Dugal and Petera, the city defenses have been somewhat battered, and no improvements have been possible.

However, as the brothers are now united against the High Council's enemies, the populace, craftsmen, and soldiers of Eastgate are eager to avoid a new, unpleasant siege, and even more eager to avoid a violent assault from the savage troops of the Desert King. Therefore, they have flocked to the defenseworks to lend their hands.

17121579412_5039970642_c.jpgDefences of Eastgate by Beorthan, on Flickr

In order to hold off the heavy equipment necessary to storm the tall, strong defenses of the inner City of Eastgate, a military engineer has proposed a defensive ditch, which will stop any heavy equipment, or topple it over, should it try to approach the walls.

16915745887_5ba60ecbbd_c.jpgDefences of Eastgate by Beorthan, on Flickr

To support and strengthen the ditch, a wooden wall is erected, supported by heavy logs driven into the hard sandstone ground. In order to drive them in, a heavy hammering contraption is being used. As its operators crank the handles, the heavy iron hammer is lifted, to be released at full height, falling down on the log with all its weight, driving the log in by another notch.

17097186806_cb9b1ca2fc_z.jpgDefences of Eastgate by Beorthan, on Flickr

Should someone try to storm the ditch, Eastgate will still stand ready. A poleturner is sharpening poles to be placed at the defensive end of the ditch, which will be enough to drive off any beast.

16915749397_7a6f3f91ee_c.jpgDefences of Eastgate by Beorthan, on Flickr

An overview shot:

16500678764_8a404e561e_c.jpgDefences of Eastgate by Beorthan, on Flickr

I know the pics aren't perfect, and I am somewhat stumped as to how improve them. I seem to have tried every setting on my camera :tongue:

However, I think the build turned out pretty well :classic:

C&C is more than welcome

Excellent counter! I like all the various defensive details you've created here :thumbup:

The engineer taking measurements fits the build perfectly!

Regarding the photography, when I look at the EXIF data on your flickr it doesn't seem wrong to me (as long as you are using a support for the camera, which the sharp pictures despite the 2s shutter time seems to indicate). What I would advice you to do however is to work on your lighting setup and backdrop.

Look at online tutorials for product photography if you want good tips.

Edited by Gideon

The wall is impressive, but the way these guys are setting up the defense... so many cool aspects to find, really well done! That machine is quite impressive.

Only suggestion would be to not have the soldiers wear helmets while working.

Fantastic counter! :wub: The wall is excellent, I really like arch design as well as how you incorporated the blue :thumbup:

Great job with the hammer and fig posing too :classic:

Of course they should! On construction sites the motto is always "safety first!"

(I agree however that it's probably too warm and humid so they probably just have them on while the lead engineer is watching :wink:)

A nice counter Bregir! I like the different phases of activity you've managed to show! :thumbup:

For your photography, I agree with Gideon; the pictures are pretty good, it's the background that needs to loose some of it's texture, right now it's too distracting. Invest a few bucks in a couple large sheets of white paper! :grin:

Great counter Bregir, definitely one of my favorites from you in this challenge! This is a massive layout for sure, I love how you stuck to the Eastgate look for that castle wall, and man, the height of that wall is really intimidating! The work scenes are fantastic too, great touch with the surveyor! The log-hammer device and the log wall are great ideas. Excellent entry!

I agree with Kai and Gideon on the photography - try a solid, texture-less background and some different lighting and I think you'll get the photos you want!

Nice idea with the defences! :thumbup:

I'd like to see Osric Irontooth lead his siegetower across that ditch!

And thanks!

Excellent counter! I like all the various defensive details you've created here :thumbup:

The engineer taking measurements fits the build perfectly!

Regarding the photography, when I look at the EXIF data on your flickr it doesn't seem wrong to me (as long as you are using a support for the camera, which the sharp pictures despite the 2s shutter time seems to indicate). What I would advice you to do however is to work on your lighting setup and backdrop.

Look at online tutorials for product photography if you want good tips.

Thank you, Gideon. In fact the engineer was a last minute addition, as the whole thing seemed a bit disorganised without him :wink:

Thanks for the feedback on the photos!! I am using a tripod, which allows for the longer shutter time. I think the close up pictures are nice and sharp here, but the overview picture seems blurry - and yes - the background isn't perfect. I seem to remember you are using a greyish rollerblind? I should probably sneak by IKEA at some point... :tongue:

And looking up product photography is a great idea - I might even be able to pass it off as work! :grin:

The wall is impressive, but the way these guys are setting up the defense... so many cool aspects to find, really well done! That machine is quite impressive.

Glad you like it, Elostirion. I tried to finish the build off nicely with details all around. The machine actually works, and I struggled quite a bit with getting it right, but the result payed off in the end, I think.

About the helmets: Health and safety first! :grin: The High Council is highly concerned with the well-being of it's citizens and soldiers! :wink:

Fantastic counter! :wub: The wall is excellent, I really like arch design as well as how you incorporated the blue :thumbup:

Great job with the hammer and fig posing too :classic:

Thanks, LJ - That wall was very different from anything I have tried before, but after looking up what little I could find of Eastgate, white with colourfull accent and a rather "clean" architecture seemed to be the way to go :classic: (And Ska's WIP of Eastgate has some VERY tall walls... :tongue: )

Glad you like the hammer. As I said, it was a long journey to get to the final result!

About posing - it is remarkably hard to pose a minifig holding a pick or a showel with both hands! :tongue: So it is nice to hear I succeeded!

Of course they should! On construction sites the motto is always "safety first!"

(I agree however that it's probably too warm and humid so they probably just have them on while the lead engineer is watching :wink:)

You should never compromise with health and safety!! Do you think it is just some window dressing?!? :tongue:

Your figure posing is really well done.

Thanks, Blufiji! As I said above, it's no easy task! :tongue:

A nice counter Bregir! I like the different phases of activity you've managed to show! :thumbup:

For your photography, I agree with Gideon; the pictures are pretty good, it's the background that needs to loose some of it's texture, right now it's too distracting. Invest a few bucks in a couple large sheets of white paper! :grin:

Thanks, Kai. Had I had more room(/time/skill), I would have shown a part with the sharpened poles mounted too :classic:

And thanks for the photography advice - but do you think I am made of money?!? :wink::tongue:

Great counter Bregir, definitely one of my favorites from you in this challenge! This is a massive layout for sure, I love how you stuck to the Eastgate look for that castle wall, and man, the height of that wall is really intimidating! The work scenes are fantastic too, great touch with the surveyor! The log-hammer device and the log wall are great ideas. Excellent entry!

I agree with Kai and Gideon on the photography - try a solid, texture-less background and some different lighting and I think you'll get the photos you want!

Thanks, ME! :blush: Well, Jacob's (great) guerilla had the same footprint, so I had some space to work with. :wink:

I am glad you think I hit the mark with my interpretation of the Eastgate look - and reg. height - It did take up quite a lot of white bricks, but it is still nothing compared to Ska's Eastgate WIP. :look:

It was my goal to have a busy scene of the people working together to improve the defences - and I guessed the ditch wouldn't work without some support - which again spawned the log-hammer device. (best name for it yet... :tongue: )

Reg: Photos: Will do.

This will do it!

Vive le Republique!

We shall fight in the dunes, we shall fight in the forests. We shall fight at the walls, and in the streets. We shall even fight from improsnment or exile, if need be! For the People, for the Republic! :wink:

Nice try. But I doubt your defenses are rhino-proved!

They are not - YET... :wink:

Very impressive counter! The wall looks great, and fits Eastgate very well :thumbup: The ditch design seems quite functional, and that hammer mechanism is sweet :wub: Would love to actually see it in action.