Sign in to follow this  
PaulC

Four-wide Optimus Prime that transforms in one piece!

With the resurgence of interest in Transformers, I've been thinking about the Lego ones me and my friend Steve (Ohnhai) used build back in the mid-80s. We were kids then and didn't have a lot of bricks, so small was beautiful in our eyes! I can't claim credit for this one, this is Steve's design, I've just tried to build it from memory and update it with a few modern components:

Here we have an ordinary four wide Lego truck of the kind TLC used to produce in the 80's

862818645_161029c3ce.jpg

It's got everything you'd expect, a driver, doors, even a turntable to take a trailer

863676362_e171c9dc51.jpg

Hang on, what's this?

863675914_35d345e505.jpg

Standing up

862818805_1e41969b0d.jpg

It's got legs!

863676840_41db4eb666.jpg

Ta-dah! Fully transformed, and quite poseable too.

862819149_753046802d.jpg

I think the hands look cool as they are, but for the finishing touch you can add some proper hands and a gun, just like G1 Optimus!

863676132_01b640198c.jpg

Edited by PaulC

Really nice creation ! *y*

Gotta love the classic City meets Transformers feel. :-$

Clever! Do you have some pics of during the building stage? And are you going to make other Transformers?

Beautiful, lovely and very clever indeed! *y*

I guess the arms were a pretty tough job, well done.

Man,you're brilliant!

We demand instructions, or face The Hordesman's Poking Stick Of DOO-OOM!

Thanks all. That's the most effusive praise I've had for anything I've ever posted, but as I said the design was done by my friend Steve (Ohnhai) over 20 (Gulp! Scary!) years ago!

are you going to make other Transformers?
Steve also designed a G1 Megatron, so you might see that in a little while if I can remember how it goes.
We demand instructions, or face The Hordesman's Poking Stick Of DOO-OOM!
Ok, ok, you twisted my arm. ;-) I'll see what I can do, although it might take a while. I'm flying off to Canada on vacation this week and I'll be gone till mid-August.
The sloped windshield gives off a more portly look, perhaps a flat pane would work better.
You're right! Prime looks like he's got quite a beer belly! :-D I tried a flat windscreen but it didn't reduce the size of his gut, and in the end I preferred how the sloped screen looks in truck mode. Edited by PaulC

This is sweet. Because of this, I made a Tank --> Megatron TransforMOC. It's a neat tank, but the robot form isn't very poseable and doesn't look like Megatron. I'll have to work on it, but i'll post his current version later.

Anyway, on to Optimus. The Truck is really accurate, but the arms look.... kinda weird. But I guess if you want him to look like both a robot and a truck, I guess you've got no choice. 9/10.

Transformers On!

TheCloneWalker

Incredible Paul C. Really great work. I'm endlessly impressed with folk who can wrap their minds around transforming. This is endlessly clever and I can't say enough about it.

If I have one small criticism, it's that the transformed OP looks a little on the pregnant side. Is there a way to collapse the cab?

But who am I to talk, I would never be able to figure this out. It is way beyond me. Excellent work. I'm glad you're showing off your works in various forums here. You are very creative and an excellent builder. Thanks! *sweet*

Steve also designed a G1 Megatron, so you might see that in a little while if I can remember how it goes.

Indeed I did. And it was two studs wide :)

Also if memory serves I also had a 6x8 Ravage that was only 5 plate thickness's (ie under 2 bricks thick)

I got to say that Paul's up date on my design is damn cool. (helps that he has 20years of lego parts development to play with :P ) well worthy of the praise.

My last design was in the lego creator and was a 3k piece sculpture of tower bridge (sadly I think I've lost the files for that :( )

^

|

Hey, it's Steve (Ohnhai)'s first post everybody. Welcome to Eurobricks Ohnhai. People round here sure seem to like your Optimus Prime design. How's the weather in Melbourne?

I totally forgot about the Ravage you made as well. I can't remember much of the detail on that one. We'll have to get our heads together via email if you want me to try building that one. It will have to wait for now though since I'm off to Canada for two weeks on Saturday! Yay!

the transformed OP looks a little on the pregnant side. Is there a way to collapse the cab?
Yup, a few people have mentioned that Optimus seems to have really let himself go lately and gotten a bit of a gut. In fact you could say that he's past his Prime. :-D Aw, man I'm sorry, I couldn't resist that one!

The trouble is there doesn't seem to be anywhere I can put an hinge in the cab without either making it look totally unlike a traditional Lego truck or destroying it's structural integrity. Prime's just going to have to live with the taunts from the other Autobots! ;-)

Edited by PaulC

Indeed I did. And it was two studs wide :)

Also if memory serves I also had a 6x8 Ravage that was only 5 plate thickness's (ie under 2 bricks thick)

I got to say that Paul's up date on my design is damn cool. (helps that he has 20years of lego parts development to play with :P ) well worthy of the praise.

My last design was in the lego creator and was a 3k piece sculpture of tower bridge (sadly I think I've lost the files for that :( )

Welcome to Eurobricks! Look forward to seeing that Ravage if it is possible. I am planning on making an aircraft transformer soon so I could use the tips!

Hey lookit, I've been blogged in Japanese too!

I don't know quite what " トランスフォオオオオオオオオオムッッッ!!!! " means, but with all those repeated characters and exclamation marks it must be something like "awesoooooommmme!!!!!". ;-)

I don't know quite what " トランスフォオオオオオオオオオムッッッ!!!! " means, but with all those repeated characters and exclamation marks it must be something like "awesoooooommmme!!!!!". ;-)

Actually that translates to, TORANSUFOOOOOOOOMU!!!! or if you clean up the Engrish, TRANSFOOOOOOOOORM!!!! ;-)

What's next in your line of town scale TFs PaulC? How about Megatron as a minifig gun. :-P