Anyone here think the LEGO designers may have borrowed ideas from the cartoon Visionaries?

I can see some parallels between this line and that show...

I thought this was clear in the trailers

It's Merlok 2.0's magic. Fortrex comes with a spellbook. The shields are magic-powered (Nexo Powers): Tornado, fire, etc

None of the trailers ever showed Merlok using magic powers. None of them stated that the shields were powered by magic, but rather the exact opposite: "They can download incredible Nexo powers into their shields!". Download =/= magic Soul Gem transfer.

Hmmm ok, so maybe my comment about Visionaries was wrong then...

But if its powered by high tech gear (and everything involves fancy tech and stuff) even cooler (although none of these sets really quality as "cyberpunk")

Anyone here think the LEGO designers may have borrowed ideas from the cartoon Visionaries?

I can see some parallels between this line and that show...

Absolutely, and I mentioned that a few pages back. I was never all that into that cartoon, but I liked the holograms.

Here's the picture I used for comparison:

visionaries_3_by_aschell.jpgTVI-LEGO-Nexo-Knights-clip-thumb-314x228.png

Just from a character design point of view, I'd say it's spot on.

Multi-colored techno armored knights? Check.

Large animal logos in a clearly marked location on their chests? Check.

Large techno looking panels with weird logos, capable of granting them powers? Check.

A high-tech sci-fi show with some medieval elements for flavor? Check.

They even had wacky sci-fi vehicles. This one reminds me a lot of Moltor's Lava Smasher, especially when you consider what Moltor looks like (with his big gold fists):

vcatalog3.jpgbrcZZM0.png2j0gu3q.jpg

They even had a Wizard (Merklynn) who granted them their powers.

The main difference I see is that Visionaries is "an advanced society where all electronics have failed and the people are forced to rely on the old magics," but Nexo Knights is an advanced society where "they can download incredible Nexo Powers into their shields!" Meaning that while both look similarly futuristic, Visionaries heroes are magic based, and Nexo Knights heroes are technology based (according to promotional materials).

So when people say that Nexo Knights was inspired by 80's cartoons, this is the only one that really comes to mind. It should be noted that Visionaries was considered a failure.

Edited by x105Black

I like the sci-fi desing of lance's car and King's mech.

The Barlog is a must-buy for me!

I migh aslo get the horse if the transformation is good.

I think people are missing the point of Nabii's post. Namely, if other castle themes can feature nonhistorical magic, why can't Nexo Knights feature nonhistorical technology, which is at least plausible?

Also, I think I might end up buying every set in the lineup, even the horse and the blade cruiser, which look much better than I thought they would, and the library, which...isn't. And the King's Mech uses a Hero Factory visor. Nice to see that make a short-lived comeback.

Speaking of the King's Mech, the name was such a wasted opportunity. They could have, and should have called it the Exo Knight :tongue:

The only set that looks interesting to me is the "ploy-bag turret gun".

But, looking at the sets, the color scheme reminds me of "Ice Planet", at least for the Knights side.

Dear Lego despite Lego being about creativity I hereby apologize for those of us who aren't creative.

All of us would like Lego to continue our favorite lines. I'm in the BlackTron subset, but things have to stay fresh, and I see where Lego sneeks some of our themes into others and I'm fine with that. Lego being what it is means you can make your own theme, which I have also done. No need to go around in a funk because they didn't make exactly what YOU wanted.

These sets are very imaginative, attractive, eye-catching, and fun. I for one am very excited with these. I think these will sell well.

I really like the Kings mech, does his hand open up into a shield?

Looks like a ship, I see a seat and controls.

Edited by Rayskull

I knew Merlok wasn't a figure. :sad:

These sets look pretty nice though. The biggest are the best, but I do enjoy Moltor and Beat Master's sets, and the sets with the royal couple.

I see a lot of comments early in this thread where people were excited for a steam punk twist to castle, but that would be mixing modern day with Victorian technology AND then mixing that with castle. Instead Nexo Knights takes castle and magically twists it with modern-ish technology. If anything this is castle-punk (though I prefer cyber-castle as a term).

I do get the issues some people have with this as a 'castle' theme, I build castle for fun myself, hell I've won classic castle competition categories in the past, but as a LEGO theme it needed a shake up, to be reinvigorated, to bring in a whole new generation. In 10 years there will be so many new AFOL castle builders who look at this as their gateway. Plus we love the old stuff, look out for our easter eggs.

The sets are a mixed bag for me. I am not too fond of the blue and grey colour scheme.

Lego seems to be giving each Knights their own set.

I may get Macy and the King's mech looks interesting.

For futuresets, I want to see Lego draw from the Warhammer 40,000 universe with Dreadnoughts.

Wow. What a turnaround. I figured official pics would look better than the prelims.

-The two smallest sets are very nice and great army builders. Cheap price + generic soldiers? Brilliant.

-Can't wait to see what the Robo Horse's bike mode looks like. The horse is a bit spindly, so I'm not sure as-is. But if the transformation feature's cool, I might pick it up.

-The Lava smasher is genius. It seems not only does it smash, but when the clubs hit the ground, they pull back.

-Love the mini Horse hoverbikes. They're cute. And the Blade cruiser looks very nice. Very beefy and well armored.

-Merlock's library is disappointing. How is that a library? Luckily that Lava golem is sweet. Very sinister.

-Finally, the king's mech is a thing of beauty. Do my eyes deceive me or does it have knees? Very few Mechs have knees. And That orange Hero Factory visor makes me very happy. I'm sure Hero Factory Mocists will be pleased to see that.

Overall, I'm very excited. Even the promotional sets look great. However, this is really going to hurt my wallet...

The Blade Cruiser has grown on me. I like its tank-ish look, and the new angular windscreen. I can't wait to see how it works.

Wow. What a turnaround. I figured official pics would look better than the prelims.

-The two smallest sets are very nice and great army builders. Cheap price + generic soldiers? Brilliant.

-Can't wait to see what the Robo Horse's bike mode looks like. The horse is a bit spindly, so I'm not sure as-is. But if the transformation feature's cool, I might pick it up.

-The Lava smasher is genius. It seems not only does it smash, but when the clubs hit the ground, they pull back.

-Love the mini Horse hoverbikes. They're cute. And the Blade cruiser looks very nice. Very beefy and well armored.

-Merlock's library is disappointing. How is that a library? Luckily that Lava golem is sweet. Very sinister.

-Finally, the king's mech is a thing of beauty. Do my eyes deceive me or does it have knees? Very few Mechs have knees. And That orange Hero Factory visor makes me very happy. I'm sure Hero Factory Mocists will be pleased to see that.

Overall, I'm very excited. Even the promotional sets look great. However, this is really going to hurt my wallet...

I'm pretty sure both the big lava golem set and the King's mech have knees.

Does anyone know how the library connects with Fortrex.... I don't see how

Spotted disk Shooter underneath the drawbridge

So many new books! That's probably the best part of this entire theme.

I just realized what a colossal pain it will be to remove the 1x1 pyramid pieces. Brick separator definitely required.

I wanna see the Ultimates! Lavaria sounds too cool!