On the left: face is too detailed. Torso is nice.

On the right: face is okay but simpler or less cartoony would be fine too. Torso/legs are too cartoony, should have much less detail or be more "realistic" in design.

Compare with these:

cas365.jpg?0cas368.jpg?0cas420.jpg?0cas421.jpg?0

Torsos are nice, faces are simple enough but with enough detail to be interesting. Yes, they look a bit cartoony, but it is at a charming level. Lego is not supposed to be 30cm die-cast metal statues.

Here is my quick fix how I imagined Moria orcs: Notice I erased the nose because... I really hate when they add noses...

moria%20orc%20fixed.jpglor011.jpg

Edited by Lordofdragonss

I did the same, but rather than taking away detail from the Moria Orc I added some to the CMF Goblin, here are the results:

CMF%20Goblin.jpg71008-5.jpg?201412171130

Sorry, it was a quick job so it's a bit sloppy. I am not sure about the nose. I think the rest looks significantly better than the original though. I think the mouth is the biggest improvement. Maybe a nice medium between the over detailed LotR minifigures and the under detailed Castle would be best...?

That face looks good. But it looks too evil for unlicenced. I would be happy with that as the standard for LOTR orc faces, but it probably wouldn't go well with the fleshy human (etc) LOTR faces as they currently are.

Edited by Artanis I

Deathleech, your efforts look solid....but so does the original. I think my problem with too much facial detail is that it attempts to make something that is inherently a bit cartoony (Lego minifigs) too serious and not cartoony. The more detail it gets, the less it looks like a Lego minifig, in my opinion. The slightly goofy and cartoony look of the CMF Goblin looks very much the way it should (charming), in my opinion. It's got just enough "bad guy" vibe to it without trying to look too scary for children.

I think with the monsters it doesn't matter too much, all of the examples shown above I think work well together. I would like to see a wider range of 'skin colours' on the orcs/goblins, just personal preference, but get that some people prefer the uniform colours - just to me a goblin horde should look messier. My only issue with OTT facial design is on Human characters where it makes them look like monsters as a result of too many random wrinkle lines.

Also I think any child scared by one of the examples above and not any of the others is probably overly sensitive...sharp teeth aside, there's nothing massively different.

What would be nice would be to get some of the two colour moulded arms and legs in suitable colours for orcs/goblins.

I think with the monsters it doesn't matter too much, all of the examples shown above I think work well together. I would like to see a wider range of 'skin colours' on the orcs/goblins, just personal preference, but get that some people prefer the uniform colours - just to me a goblin horde should look messier. My only issue with OTT facial design is on Human characters where it makes them look like monsters as a result of too many random wrinkle lines.

Also I think any child scared by one of the examples above and not any of the others is probably overly sensitive...sharp teeth aside, there's nothing massively different.

What would be nice would be to get some of the two colour moulded arms and legs in suitable colours for orcs/goblins.

See thats what i kinda dislike, i hate when armies are colorful, or mixed...... its ok for Orcs and maybe some thief brigands, but the thing i loved the msot is collecting uruk hai fully armored... such a cool army in looks..... the most happy I am is when i see that every soldier carries a shield + weapon and helmet..... or a bow + quiver + helmet..... that way i can mix them as i please without worrying about other stuff, but i do love face differentiations.

To me, even with human armies, they would have to be amazingly well funded to all have the exact same armour etc, I do get people (and Hollywood) preferring that though, just for the aesthetics, but to me all armies would be made of individuals as closely matched as possible, but rarely identical.

I really hope we do get something a bit more fantasy based in the new line, even if it isn't full on elves and goblins, at least having a bit more in the way of magic and dragons will help - given the amount of new magical looking headpieces the CMFs have given us it does seem like it would be ideal for LEGO to strike while the iron is hot.

To me, even with human armies, they would have to be amazingly well funded to all have the exact same armour etc, I do get people (and Hollywood) preferring that though, just for the aesthetics, but to me all armies would be made of individuals as closely matched as possible, but rarely identical.

I totally agree here, I dislike when every minifig in an army is the same, at the very least there should be a diverse amount of different classes/types of soldier in any army even if the uniform/symbolism remains the same.

(oh btw Maria the Virgin Witch has a great example of what realistic armies (from the Anglo-French war) look like in the very first episode, ironically for an anime show about witches/magic.)

Also I really need LEGO to make more Mill Village Raid/Medieval Market Village type sets, those came out in my Dark Ages and now I missed out on them, unable (and unwilling) to shell out for the risen price.

Edited by Isundir

I was talking more about the excessive wrinkle lines and nostrils, more than the extra teeth. I agree with you that it's highly unlikely that one is going to make a child scared while the other wouldn't. However, it's a designer's job to criticize details at that level to ensure the right amount of bad guy scariness, along with classic Lego charm, is correctly balanced. Simply putting more detail on because it's possible is bad design, as a general rule.

For my part, Moria Orc is a great example of darn near perfect, CMF Goblin is too cartoony and FE Orcs are a nice middle ground.

Why do people think the CMF goblin is cartoonish? I dont see him being much different from the Moria goblin - they both have sharp teeth and pale, as if pupil-les eyes, so are both scary enough. Do a few extra teeth and wrinkles make the Moria goblin that much scarier?

Why do people think the CMF goblin is cartoonish? I dont see him being much different from the Moria goblin - they both have sharp teeth and pale, as if pupil-les eyes, so are both scary enough. Do a few extra teeth and wrinkles make the Moria goblin that much scarier?

I think a big reason, at least for me, is the teeth and mouth. Missing the whole bottom row makes him looks more goofy and dopey. Having no facial lines gives the impression he has a very smooth or babyish, cartoony face since it lacks any definition.

I did the same, but rather than taking away detail from the Moria Orc I added some to the CMF Goblin, here are the results:

CMF%20Goblin.jpg

For a licenced theme that would be pretty good............. but for a CMF that would be atrocious

Edited by Robert8

Lego minifigs are supposed to be cartoony.

Of course they are, but for the purpose of discussion, it's a spectrum. Very cartoony on one end, very detailed on the other.

Make sense?

Can I get a recap of what exactly is known about Castle 2016?

Nothing, done :thumbup:

In fact we don't even know if there will be a castle line in 2016.

^^ About that.

Some of us know more about Castle 2016, but I'll give you the watered down version of what's basically concrete at this point.

It will have some element of Fantasy.

The first wave of sets will come out in January.

There will be a castle. :tongue:

It is very likely that new parts introduced in CMF series such as the King's crown, Wizard's hat, Goblin's hat, Princess hat/hair, etc. will be used in the new theme.

This theme will be more interesting than Castle 2013 (Not like that's hard).

This theme will be similar to Fantasy Era, but we're not sure how similar.

That's basically all we know so far, but I can assure you that we will hear something new soon, such as a storyline description or set numbers.

Nothing, done :thumbup:

In fact we don't even know if there will be a castle line in 2016.

:wink::hmpf::wink:

I won't ask you to reveal your source, but can you confirm that there is a reliable source behind this? Something more substantial than a store manager?

I won't ask you to reveal your source, but can you confirm that there is a reliable source behind this? Something more substantial than a store manager?

Yes.

Can I get a recap of what exactly is known about Castle 2016?

Nothing official from LEGO although there's a lot of people who claim to know something. I'm fine with that but I only put my money down on facts. Hopefully there's some truth to all the rumors.

^^ About that.

Some of us know more about Castle 2016, but I'll give you the watered down version of what's basically concrete at this point.

It will have some element of Fantasy.

The first wave of sets will come out in January.

There will be a castle. :tongue:

It is very likely that new parts introduced in CMF series such as the King's crown, Wizard's hat, Goblin's hat, Princess hat/hair, etc. will be used in the new theme.

This theme will be more interesting than Castle 2013 (Not like that's hard).

This theme will be similar to Fantasy Era, but we're not sure how similar.

That's basically all we know so far, but I can assure you that we will hear something new soon, such as a storyline description or set numbers

Thanks if legit, which I'll assume it is, this is great :)

Too excited for getting my first Castle/Fantasy themed sets since the Dark Ages (instead of just random bricklink orders of old overpriced things I missed out on) wooh :laugh: