Sign in to follow this  
snefroe

Mars Mission's Rhino 1

indexed.gif

Lego's affiliation with six wheelers go back a long way. I think the first one was released in 1981, more than 25 years ago. This year, Lego added another one to the family, Mars Mission's "Rhino 1", as its title sounds...

It's been a while since i've bought and opened a large box, so maybe this isn't a surprise to most of you, but the box does not open at the front, as with many larger sw boxes, but at the side. The two printed seals(or whatever people call them) have gone as well, being replaced by one larger print in the middle of side... the box also isn't as thick as a large sw box, like the sandcrawler... The general size is, however, still quite large.

post-230-1184489324_thumb.jpg

the back side shows the Mars Mission theme sets... eccept the Rhino! I guess it shows this set will be released as a TRU exclusive or something, only to show up in Legoland shops and maybe Lego shops... It's a shame really, because this is by far the best set of the theme.

post-230-1184489358_thumb.jpg

When you open the front cover, you see a larger picture picture of the Rhino. Obviously, it seems to be some sort of multifunctional truck. i think the basic function is to drive around and explore. For that it has a drilling device and six giant wheels.

post-230-1184489388_thumb.jpg

The set comes with two instruction books. i'm afraid to say they did not resolve the gray/black colors issue. Colorwise, the real thing does not look like the instruction book because of it...

post-230-1184489538_thumb.jpg

The Rhino looks really big because of the six giant wheels. I guess it's more or less the same size as M-tron's Magnetiser with the big difference between the two being that the wheels have been turned around, creating a unique wheel design for a Lego model

post-230-1184490157_thumb.jpg

post-230-1184491486_thumb.jpg

the wheels look very cool, even though the first couple of wheels stand a bit closer to each other. Don't know why that is. hm... |-/ and they could have used a bit more body, but the design is pretty good. i know, "Armagheddon" isn't far away... |-/

post-230-1184490216_thumb.jpg

The suspension of the wheels is a bit flimsy. sure, it allows the truck to move around in a more realistic way than the old sets, but it's not as flexible as some older sets, like sw's CTT. Nor do the wheels have much body. the black bars you see on top of the wheels are more "window dressing" then functional...

post-230-1184490641_thumb.jpg

The over all shape of the Rhino is kinda "bulky", it looks more like a beatle than a rhino, if you're asking me.

It has three major sections, but i wouldn't call it a modular building though... The cockpit is the first section. It's spacious and detailed.

post-230-1184490895_thumb.jpg

post-230-1184490967_thumb.jpg

The cockpit hangs down from a weird angle. it's attached to a large vertical technic brick that is part of the Rhino's main structure, so it's not a seperate spaceship, which is a shame... oh well... you can't have it all, i guess...

post-230-1184491141_thumb.jpg

ah yes... stickers all over the place, but they're cool.

the mid section of the Rhino dominates the basic shape of the model. It's as if those two large white parts form a strong and thick shield, protecting whatever is inside from whatever is outsde.

post-230-1184491764_thumb.jpg

unfortunately, there is nothing inside. it's extra space needed to house the spaceship. That's really a shame; a command center of some kind could have given the rhino a bit more "panache".

post-230-1184491925_thumb.jpg

However, what's really great, is the way in which they fit together: one side has an orange 1x2 plate that fits in between two white 1x3 plates of the other side, creating yet another unique shape for a Lego model. But again, it's a shame they didn't do more with this section... X-O

post-230-1184492127_thumb.jpg

The third and last section is a platform for a space ship.

post-230-1184492218_thumb.jpg

post-230-1184492285_thumb.jpg

The platform itself isn't really special. no details, no stickers,... it's just a skeleton to carry the spaceship, nothing more nothing less. No, your space ship doesn't fall off, even if you rotate the platform into a launch position, pushing the weight of the ship backwards. In fact, the position of the ship onto the platform is so solid, it's kinda difficult to imagine how this ship flies off. |-/

The ship on the other hand, is pretty cool. It's all sorts of things at the same time it seems. It transports two aliens, but also a small car that reminds me of the small sets of Spacepolice 2, blacktron 2,...

post-230-1184492932_thumb.jpg

post-230-1184492985_thumb.jpg

post-230-1184493049_thumb.jpg

the shuttle reminds me of a Star trek shuttle and i think it needs some modding, but i do think it looks pretty nice. sure, the cockpit is a bit too low, a pilot needs to lay down instead of sitting down and the dropping mechnism, if there is one at all isn't all that brilliant either...

The main structure is a bit too technical for me. I prefer actual parts with studs, not these Lego technic bars and pins.

post-230-1184493397_thumb.jpg

the crew:

post-230-1184493460_thumb.jpg

ah yes, there's also this green plastic residu. think they are supposed to be the aliens...

and there's also this weird alien craft, but i didn't bother to build that... *sad*

GOOD: *wub*

Great, innovative design, lots of potential, i even like the colors *sweet*

Lots of playability

it's a big, attractive model; i don't see any weak spots in the design that could compromise stability or structural integrity.

NOT SO GOOD: |-/

too many technic parts, some sections on the model, like the gun and the drilling device are a bit to flimsy

I'd say 7.5-8.5/10

Price: 750 Danish Crowns, about 105euro

Thanks very much. I love it *wub* . It needs tweaking, but isn't that half the fun? Incidentally, when people were calling it Rhino, I thought it was just a reference to Captain Scarlet. Seeing the stickers in the middle made me realise my mistake.

Buy! Buy! Buy!

Thanks dude. This is a great set. Can you please take more pictures? Thanks

seems like they infuse system sets with more technic bars. must be that technic isn't selling too well and they want to educate ppl how cool technic can be. :-P

it's quite apparent when even the small bike needed technic frame.

seems like they infuse system sets with more technic bars. must be that technic isn't selling too well and they want to educate ppl how cool technic can be. :-P

it's quite apparent when even the small bike needed technic frame.

my guess it's less expensive and complicated to produce. they're also using these parts in other themes, so in the end, they're producing a smaller catalog of bricks but every part gets produced in larger quantities.

Wow. This year, my wallet size has been bugging me. *Sigh* still, it's a good-looking set and i will get it. Too many big sets...

This is a great review and so is the set *y* I thought I would buy it, but when I saw the price... I changed my mind X-D I always liked flying things better though... Like the Dropship... Although that is a BIT pricey too, I guess X-D

This set is truely incredible, a must have.

BUT this set is also incredibly overpriced *n* ! Com' on it's only a big vehicle , nothing really special to justify the near 100

Edited by mutex

Thanks for that very interesting review, snefroe1. *y*

That vehicle looks really nice, with a lot of playability,

but too much Technic brick construction for my liking.

It seems like there

Please build the alien craft, I'm sure that we would all like a review of that! ^_^'

Please build the alien craft, I'm sure that we would all like a review of that! ^_^'

ok then... i'll do that later on... but I will NOT touch that plastic residu! X-D

Incidentally, when people were calling it Rhino, I thought it was just a reference to Captain Scarlet.

Yeah, me too. That's a great programme, is it not? And I mean both new and old.

Anyway, I like this. I'll probably get it when it finally becomes available in the UK. I think there's a few things I'll MOD, but overall it's very nice. Although it's interesting (and slightly creepy) how much the lights at the front look like eyes...

And, as I've said many a time before, I love the motorbike!

Edited by Brainbox

Bleh, I don't care much about the alien ship, they all look too much alike, the humans would kick the aliens crap out of them.

Nice Review *y*

I have quick question though....

Do the crystals fit into the aliens hands?

Try and stick one in there,Becuase the new catalog shows an image of an alien holding a crystal

Lastly lego should have made the aliens with movable arms and no hole in the middle |-/

I don't want to waste any money so I am only going to grab 1 or 2 of the smaller sets

Piranha

EDIT:IMO the aliens would win becuase they have superior technology and all they do is have to cut the airtank line and the humans die

Edited by Piranha

Yes, they can hold the crystals. They can't move the hands ( |-/ ) but they do have the clawlike hand of the droid arm.

EDIT: Could you post some general 'beauty' pics of the Rhino and the attached craft, such as front, side, back, etc. All we have of the ship is one top pic...

Edited by Mr. Mandalorian

Say, I was looking at your pics and then at the instructions and I just realised : haven't you put the stikers on the shield thingies in the middle upside down? I think you did :-D

I don't know if I like those new sets, though... I mean they have great shapes and potential, but at the same time, they seem so holey... They're really huge and big but full of empty air and space as well... Well, this one not as much, and indeed it is the best looking set of the lot, though... But I don't think I'll go into that line...

Anyways, nice review. I don't think I'll get this though. I'm trying to decide between this, moble devastator, or anothe 90$ set.

Regards,

~VBBN~

Great review, wonderfully detailed. Don't care for the ship at all. It's that 'technic under a hollow shell' thing like the CTT. If it wasn't for the figures, I would have hated it, and nothing about these figures excites me.

I'll end up finding the least number of sets possible to provide at least one of each figure for the general population collection and skip the rest (unless they do as I expect and flop here, thus leading to huge discounts). I like this set ... at half off. ;-)

The Life on Mars theme was so much better, with the aliens dominating Mars instead of the humans. And the aliens were so much better, with their own names etc. Good times.

Anyway, I think this is the best set in the series. It looks so neat and reminds me of the Pelican form Halo. X-D

Edited by iamded

I agree iamded, Life on Mars, while not even that truly great, was far better than this line! >:-(

I am hoping the next space line Lego does takes place in just that! Space! |-/

By the way iamded, I continue to stalk you.......

Batbrick Away! >:-)

I think the Life on Mars series was great. Although I didn't click until the line was gone that the red hangar on the alien base was for the red mech, and same with the blue one. Man, I was gutted when I realised that, I want those mechs! However, the base was great, with the small mech and the flying crafts. Could the LoM mechs have been the spark of life for Exo-force? 8-

Edited by iamded