Children are not idiots and a lot of people here seem to think otherwise. What Kalhiki said is as confusing, or maybe even less than the prologue on The Mask Of light, it's as simple as Ninjago and look, did people got it? For sure they did get it, sells like hot bread and people demanded it's return over the mess that was Chima.

Lego tried a somewhat reboot with Bara Magna, and the reason it didn't work was that there was no actual backstory for it to begin with on the start of 2009.

Bionicle is an example what happens if the story is too complicated and Hero Factory the one that didn't really even have a story. Needless to say, the other was train wreck from the start. Ninjago is the third example, the perfect balance between both and the way Bionicle is probably going to aim for.

A reboot is the easy way to re-do your mistakes and takes the actual time to think of how you wont screw it up, what they do to case as little as the whole matoran universe? They could just make an earth like planet for the setting... oh wait. Spherus Magna is one, why they wouldn't just use it and continue it from there?

By their desing I'd like to point out that Tahu is the only one whose mask really resembles anything to the old one. Gali has a rather unique looking mask, Pohatu's is Evo, Lewa's Stringer, Kopaka's has somewhat resembleance to the old one and Onua's is so blurry it's hard to tell.

Edited by GK733

The problem isn't condensing what came before into a line of flavour text. That's easy. The problem is that any kid who only knows of the new stuff then goes on line, types in "Bionicle", and ends up on BS01. THen they have the original storylines all laid out, and it's all very confusing. Then they find Dark Mirror. Evil Toa everywhere, including the new line's heroes, heroic versions of the villains, and violent deaths left right and centre.

If it's a reboot, it's okay, none of that matters anymore.

If it's a continuation, it's canon, and that happy little robot toyline is suddenly really freaking dark again.

The problem isn't condensing what came before into a line of flavour text. That's easy. The problem is that any kid who only knows of the new stuff then goes on line, types in "Bionicle", and ends up on BS01. THen they have the original storylines all laid out, and it's all very confusing. Then they find Dark Mirror. Evil Toa everywhere, including the new line's heroes, heroic versions of the villains, and violent deaths left right and centre.

If it's a continuation, it's canon, and that happy little robot toyline is suddenly really freaking dark again.

Honestly, though, they could find that stuff either way. I doubt the reaction would be different with a reboot, especially since I doubt Lego would specifically say "this is a reboot and the stuff that happened in the previous continuity no longer counts." It may matter to some, but the information is out there either way. Anybody who's confused or disturbed about the content probably wouldn't have too clear an idea of the distinction between current and past canon.

Edited by Mariko

No matter what they do, they have to create completely new plots.

I mean that they would have to create the whole world again from scratch, new islands, new villains, new plot engine, maybe even recreate what is Mata Nui himself. It would have to be drastically different from old Bionicle in order to ...eh, be different. Whether you like it, stuff will get confusing for most people with a (first) reboot, even more because it will nullify the story that was there for 15 years and that will stay on the internet even after the possible reboot happens.

Like some said, you can almost ignore what happened in the past when you place the story far enough in the future. How is it important for Star Wars movies that there was a galactic sized conflict 3600 year before destruction of first Death star. It's pointless to say that 20000 years before battle of Yavin there was Infinite Empire that spanned across the whole galaxy. You just don't have to say everything that happened before, in order to tell a story. Books and comics are there for big franchises to tell tales about things that are irrelevant to the original story.

So what would it matter that there were Makuta, a demigod species, when they are dead; that Nidhiki used to be a Toa, then was mutated, joined Dark Hunters and got absorbed by Teridax; that Vezon once claimed that he is Toa of Anarchy...

Anyone who could find this if it was a continuation, could find it even if it was a reboot. It will still be on Bionicle wiki, maybe just tagged as ... whatever they would call the old story. And anyone who will find the page will read the first sentence on the page:

Dark Mirror is a podcast hosted on BIONICLEstory.com. It focuses on Toa Takanuva's arrival in an alternate universe where Toa are ruthless dictators and his efforts to escape.

Also "that happy little robot toyline" was always dark in a way and it should stay dark in this kind of media (a.k.a. books, online stories and podcasts). This is a serious story with some comedical parts, not something like Futurama.

I mean that they would have to create the whole world again from scratch, new islands, new villains, new plot engine, maybe even recreate what is Mata Nui himself.

I don't think the ability to create a world is as much of a hurdle as you're making it seem.

I made my RPG character's name, design, allies, enemies, home, everything, just from looking at Photok's mask for too long and deciding that I wanted to use it. The crazy thing is that I ended up not using it.

I mean that they would have to create the whole world again from scratch, new islands, new villains, new plot engine, maybe even recreate what is Mata Nui himself. It would have to be drastically different from old Bionicle in order to ...eh, be different. Whether you like it, stuff will get confusing for most people with a (first) reboot, even more because it will nullify the story that was there for 15 years and that will stay on the internet even after the possible reboot happens.

It might get confusing for some fans who can't (or won't?) let go of the original storyline. But we are a very, very, very, very small part of the financial impact for TLG in regards to the line. This new line will be made for new fans- with a few nods here and there (or you know, huge ones like having the reboot start with our original six Toa, at least, in name). But it won't be for us, and that's what people need to understand. As said countless times, the original story was too complext, too difficult, and too oversaturated for new fans. They thought it was intimidating, so they stayed away. It doesn't matter if all of us here think the story was easy, what matters to TLG, because they are a business, is how new consumers who are going to be the new fans of the new BIONICLE feel. They wanted a new story to begin with, because, again, that was one of the largest consumer complaints about the original line.

TLG is not that dumb. They are not going to bring the line back and immediately saddle it with the same problems that caused the original line to be canceled.

I'm having fun with the convo we're having here.

Wait are you guys using movie examples for a toyline. Lol ok I'll bite,

In the 90s, I had spiderman toys base on TV shows. Are you telling me the Spiderman toys for 2010-14 are a continuation base on the shows I watch??

Let's see, Batman/Superman/All of Marvel/All of DC/TRANSFORMER/Etc. So many successful remakes/reboots of Movies,toys,comics, and TV Shows.

Where are you guys getting the idea it would fail. Most of us on the other side believe a reboot would give 2015 Bionicle freedom to take this generation wherever they are planning to go, instead of being tether to already finish story.

The best part for us is now we know what to expect from bionicle. Now we know how strong toa and their enemies can be. We have better idea of the community this universe creates. I'm just happy for the differences we'll notice once the story starts. It will be fun to compare. Lol I can see the "which is stronger Toa Mata 2015 versus Toa nuva 2008." I think you guys kinda used a bad example here. I cant think of media property that didnt reinvent itself for new audiences, why not this?

You think that's the worst thing that's going to pop up when you search Bionicle on the internet?

You think that's the worst thing that's going to pop up when you search Bionicle on the internet?

It's the darkest official story, to my knowledge. As for "worse", I assume you mean "Hahli with gigantic tits" fanart. That probably won't come up on early pages. I;m not sure about you guys, but when I was a kid, my Internetting was heavily policed- I had to tell my parents where I was going, and I couldn't go anywhere else.

"Hahli with gigantic tits" fanart.

nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope

I now have to cleanse my mind of the images you put into my head, thank goodness that fan art like that isn't extremely popular

nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope

I now have to cleanse my mind of the images you put into my head, thank goodness that fan art like that isn't extremely popular

The same artist made the same... with Jaller. :devil:

Thankfully, the more popular Bionicle fanart is actually pretty good. Well, that or it's "This redheaded animu bishie with Naruto lines on his face totes looks like Tahu, right?" Nope.

August 16th, people.

When should we expect the leaks of the catalogue?

Edited by TwistLaw

The day the leaks appear will be after the day when they haven't appeared.

You're one cheeky count, mate.

Last year we didn't get catalog images AT ALL, just to refresh everybody's memory. We got preliminary pictures from shopping websites.

I predict the same thing. For all we know, the pictures we get will be worse than what we've already gotten due to the presence of confidential markings. :P

Last year we didn't get catalog images AT ALL, just to refresh everybody's memory. We got preliminary pictures from shopping websites.

I predict the same thing. For all we know, the pictures we get will be worse than what we've already gotten due to the presence of confidential markings. :P

When (and from what websites) did we get these pictures? As for the confidential markings, I never minded them, because normally the pictures underneath aren't that blurry, so you can still make out key features and parts.

For me, definitive confirmation of legitimacy is better than clear pics. Also, price points, and definite names for the small sets.

Not including Bionicle, do you think we will see any other construction figures, like Chima ultra builds, etc? I would like more superhero ones, especially with the release of Avengers 2 next year. A construction Ultron would just be marvellous, don't you think :devil:

Edited by TheGreatSpirit

I was playing around in LDD earlier and built my own Omega Tahu. First I wanted to make it how an actual set would look like (CCBS, no extremely old pieces) but then I thought "eh let's mix classic Bionicle pieces in" and this was the result:

Front

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Toa-of-Gallifrey/OmegaTahu/omega_tahu_1.png

Back

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Toa-of-Gallifrey/OmegaTahu/omega_tahu_2.png

Close-up of interior workings (pistons and padding)

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Toa-of-Gallifrey/OmegaTahu/omega_tahu_3.png

Omega Tahu at Po-Wahi

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Toa-of-Gallifrey/OmegaTahu/omega_tahu_at_po-wahi.png

Omega Tahu near Kini-Nui

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Toa-of-Gallifrey/OmegaTahu/omega_tahu_near_kini_nui.png

Edited by VBBN
Please keep photo sizes to 800x600 or smaller

Part of me is really excited that BIONICLE is coming back, and another part of me is disappointed that LEGO is trying something new or rebooting something else like Roboriders or Slizers. (That would be cool.)