Many thanks to you (and Huw) for putting my fears at ease!

No prob!

Really excited to hear about these sets... I wonder if they will handle the four-armed guy wishfully geared arms or just two...

Edited by legozebra

I could keep this debate up perpetually, but I get the impression that you have somewhat visceral feelings towards CCBS, and that nothing I say will change your mind. We're starting to go in circles, IMHO. Mind, I understand where you're coming from. While I've never disliked CCBS inherently, I wasn't overly fond of its implementation prior to the new BIONICLE sets. But I do urge you to buy one of them, preferably Onua, Gali, the POE, or the POS. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I dont hate CCBS and have purchased many CCBS sets. I do own the entire wave of Winter 2015 Bionicle's plus duplicates... it just feels like the builds are a little simple. I understand their are limits, but i feel they could have done a bit better. The set i most enjoy is LoSS because he impliments Technic with CCBS in a way that works. Though thats not saying i view LoSS as a perfect set, just one of the more adventurous sets in the Winter Wave. Though as you say we dont necessarily need to talk about CCBS unless you want, while i dont necessarily love CCBS i still like the sets.

Really excited to hear about these sets... I wonder if they will handle the four-armed guy wishfully geared arms or just two...

Chances are it'll be four geared arms, though that limits articulation via the rotation to only 180 without clashing pieces, so could see them trying a different method.

Chances are it'll be four geared arms, though that limits articulation via the rotation to only 180 without clashing pieces, so could see them trying a different method.

Pieces already clash on some of the toas' arms, it's just realistic they can't twist them to 360. try the four armed gearbox yourself and secure the pin of the lower arms with 0,5 techinc axleholething... whatever it's called. It works fairly well.

London Toyfair, eh? Pics or it didn't happen!

Also, on the topic of CCBS, I think these sets are miles and away more complex than things we got from BIONICLE G1, large sets aside. Ultimately there's a lot of similarities; reused bone pieces, similar body designs, etc. The difference is that CCBS is designed to do all of those things and then add on further; it's so customizable and versatile, whereas BIONICLE created very unique, individual character designs that couldn't apply anywhere else.

Obviously we haven't gotten anything resembling something as grandiose as the Axalara T9, or the Manas (yet) but CCBS can be incredibly inventive regardless. I'm looking forward to these summer sets, and whatever comes after.

If all four arms are geared, let's hope the weapons won't be too heavy, as the upper arms will most certainly droop down...

Eh, I'm still waiting for a photo of Gold Armor Tahu with the 14k Hau... any decade now...

Will do once I get Tahu which will probably be soon

Wait... is that a 2015 mask on the Av-Matoran head? HOW.

It just clips on! I don't know if it was intentional or not but if it isn't it's a happy accident!

It just clips on! I don't know if it was intentional or not but if it isn't it's a happy accident!

You have the 14k hau??? Wow, I didn't think the gaps on the side would fit the new masks! YES!!! The new 2015 masks are officially the best ever, because they fit on not only the new 2015 head, but also the 2013 Brain Attack head, the 2008 Av-Matoran head, and even a Y-joint or CCBS hand!!!

You have the 14k hau??? Wow, I didn't think the gaps on the side would fit the new masks! YES!!! The new 2015 masks are officially the best ever, because they fit on not only the new 2015 head, but also the 2013 Brain Attack head, the 2008 Av-Matoran head, and even a Y-joint or CCBS hand!!!

I guess he meant that he will put golden mask of fire (Kanohi Hau 2015) on the stars Tahu.

They clip onto hands and other stuff as well...

Pieces already clash on some of the toas' arms, it's just realistic they can't twist them to 360. try the four armed gearbox yourself and secure the pin of the lower arms with 0,5 techinc axleholething... whatever it's called. It works fairly well.

If all four arms are geared, let's hope the weapons won't be too heavy, as the upper arms will most certainly droop down...

Tried it and it does work well, though it does depend mostly on the weight of the weapons;

http://i.imgur.com/F8INyfi.jpg

Also, on the topic of CCBS, I think these sets are miles and away more complex than things we got from BIONICLE G1, large sets aside. Ultimately there's a lot of similarities; reused bone pieces, similar body designs, etc. The difference is that CCBS is designed to do all of those things and then add on further; it's so customizable and versatile, whereas BIONICLE created very unique, individual character designs that couldn't apply anywhere else.

Due to the price and size of Tahu, Kopaka and Onua they would be classed as 'large sets' of the new wave. Comparing them to the older titans they are more simplistic with only a gearbox that makes them slightly complex, and that is a piece that is more Technic based. Alternatively due to the piece count Lord Of Skull Spiders could be considered a titan and he is more complex than the Toa...

Just pointing out also that the comparison you made is between the pieces of CCBS and the look of Gen 1 Bionicle figures, not the CCBS pieces compared with the Bionicle/Technic pieces which your comparison should have been if you were trying to say the CCBS pieces are better than the Bionicle/Technic or visa versa.

They clip onto hands and other stuff as well...

I'm sure the hands were intentional.

a lot like how the old Toa could hold the masks using the pins on the mask and the holes on the hand.

Ah, I love the smell of toyfair season...

Anyway, the new masks fit on Av-Matoran heads eh? what a cool little surprise. (though that picture made me realise that Pohatu's new mask actually looks more like a hau than Tahu's one does XD)

I'm sure the hands were intentional.

a lot like how the old Toa could hold the masks using the pins on the mask and the holes on the hand.

Yeah, I knew the masks could clip onto Y-joints and hands and stuff, but I didn't know the gaps on the side of an Av-Matoran head were the right size for the new masks too!

Well, while we wait for more info on the Summer Sets, I decided to order the 3 cheaper Toa on amazon (I already have Tahu, Onua, and Kopaka), along with a Bohrok since I somehow never got any 2002 sets. Which Toa do you guys enjoy the most?

Yeah, I knew the masks could clip onto Y-joints and hands and stuff, but I didn't know the gaps on the side of an Av-Matoran head were the right size for the new masks too!

I see. There were some "earth-shattering" revelations about the mask connection points in yesterday's TTV podcast, so I wasn't sure exactly what people know and what they didn't ;)

Due to the price and size of Tahu, Kopaka and Onua they would be classed as 'large sets' of the new wave. Comparing them to the older titans they are more simplistic with only a gearbox that makes them slightly complex, and that is a piece that is more Technic based. Alternatively due to the piece count Lord Of Skull Spiders could be considered a titan and he is more complex than the Toa...

I try not to compare them directly to titans, since there have been a fair amount of price increases since then. And even then; Axonn didn't have a gearbox. All of these Toa have unique and varied builds (heck, so do the protectors!), and it's how the system evolves that it shows its complexity. CCBS isn't literally just bone pieces, it's everything that goes with it, and how useful the system can be and is.

Just pointing out also that the comparison you made is between the pieces of CCBS and the look of Gen 1 Bionicle figures, not the CCBS pieces compared with the Bionicle/Technic pieces which your comparison should have been if you were trying to say the CCBS pieces are better than the Bionicle/Technic or visa versa.

I think I made the point fine; I was saying that BIONICLE G1 pieces were highly specialized, which lent themselves to specialized builds. There's a reason the "Inika build" lasted so long, and it's because you could only do so much with it (granted, that didn't necessarily reach its full potential either). With CCBS, there's a lot of versatility in the parts themselves, which result in more unique and varied looks.

Well, while we wait for more info on the Summer Sets, I decided to order the 3 cheaper Toa on amazon (I already have Tahu, Onua, and Kopaka), along with a Bohrok since I somehow never got any 2002 sets. Which Toa do you guys enjoy the most?

I think that Gali is the best designed of the new Toa. I like how they managed to make her femine without making her girly, and I love how the axe turns into fins which turns into a mermaid tail. Really great one.

One point of note with regards to Toy Fair and Bionicle - I inquired as to the possibility of new films etc. and the rep seemed quite keen to downplay the franchise as 'low priority' for LEGO, with a smaller budget because of that.

One point of note with regards to Toy Fair and Bionicle - I inquired as to the possibility of new films etc. and the rep seemed quite keen to downplay the franchise as 'low priority' for LEGO, with a smaller budget because of that.

What? That's.... Worrisome.

Interesting; thanks for sharing that information. I can't really say it surprises me, it's felt like a pretty low budget relaunch from word go. That doesn't mean Lego doesn't care about it; they put it up front and center at NYCC, produced 8 golden masks, and clearly have a lot of passion for the line. I don't think anyone can look at BIONICLE 2015 and claim they're dialing it in.

With that being said, a lot of aspects about the relaunch have always clued me in that it doesn't have too large of a budget backing it. Online, minute and a half long webisodes with narration instead of a proper TV series is probably the best example. The best way for BIONICLE to improve and gain a larger budget is for the sets to sell very well, which is why I'm glad they're as excellent as they are.

(Of course, when speaking in context of actual MOVIES, I don't think a constraction theme has had that much budget behind it in quite a while).

Edited by Mesonak

I think they're just more careful with BIONICLE than they would be with a new system theme, which is understandable. We may see more media and promotions if it does well. It's already getting more promotion than the average LEGO theme so that's something.

I appreciate a more measured response. They didn't really understand the line in the beginning; it peaked in 2002 and they literally tried cloning the success for 2003. Makes sense that they're being more cautious with the new wave.

Constraction is niche, but it does what it's supposed to, and they know what they want it to do. I think it'll be a good year.

I went to the Legostore today (got Lewa, Gali, Kopaka and PoJ), and the salesman I talked to told me that the sets were selling quite well (at least for an AF theme). Tahu seems to be the most popular, red characters often get more love. So yeah, I think it's gonna be a good year.

Interesting skull grinder vs ekimu is only 25, thought it would be more than that. Not that in complaining, just thought they would make it larger.

As for the rest being smaller, I'm OK with it, just wish they would've made some larger ones to counter the larger toa. Ah well.

But torn cloth looking pieces? I like the sound of that. Now to wait for next week for pics...