My idea is that all of the villains will have alternate masks for their uncorrupted forms. Also just like the toa getting their masks of power, ekimu might have his gold and blue protector mask but also comes with the mocr

In terms of the Mask Maker if it's Ekimu, what if instead of having the Mask of Creation it's the gold/trans blue blend Protector mask from the animation? Then they could continue to build up the MoCr for a different set later. I doubt this'll happen considering how much the MoCr has been built up from the start, but remember we didn't get the Mask of Life until '08 after its reveal in '06. And the MoCr is lost anyway story-wise, so Ekimu wouldn't have it to begin with.

Just a thought.

That actually seems like a possibility. My new theory is this: Ekimu is resurrected after the Toa find their golden masks. Ekimu wears his golden protector mask, and they all go after the MoCr.

My idea is that all of the villains will have alternate masks for their uncorrupted forms. Also just like the toa getting their masks of power, ekimu might have his gold and blue protector mask but also comes with the mocr

That actually seems like a possibility. My new theory is this: Ekimu is resurrected after the Toa find their golden masks. Ekimu wears his golden protector mask, and they all go after the MoCr.

I actually think that this is a GREAT idea and I hope that the story heads in this direction.

Hoping these "Skull" sets end up being Rahi-like monsters! The names sound like they could suggest some awesome, creative action features. Good to get a Mask Maker (Ekimu, presumably), though it's a shame none of the set names explicitly refer to Makuta.

Hoping these "Skull" sets end up being Rahi-like monsters! The names sound like they could suggest some awesome, creative action features. Good to get a Mask Maker (Ekimu, presumably), though it's a shame none of the set names explicitly refer to Makuta.

I kinda hope for the same thing, it seems like at least one of them will be rahi-like (the Skull Scorpio, maybe?). A biiiit biased since I always liked the rahi enemies over the humanoid enemies, mostly since there was a lot more that could be done with them that could still have them recognizable in one group (versus like, trying to keep a set of six characters similar because they're all the same species).

Curious about the mask maker set, though. Could be Ekimu, could be a turn in the story that leads it to be Makuta, or could be some third unnamed and unknown of character. Either way, I'm curious if the mask maker will have protector proportions (I'm guessing so since it comes in a two-character thing by the sounds of it, but it could go either way really).

I don't know... We've had monster villains since Brain Attack and I'm ready for some sapient enemies.

Though sapient beasts would be cool...

I don't know... We've had monster villains since Brain Attack and I'm ready for some sapient enemies.

Though sapient beasts would be cool...

Monsters don't necessarily have to be non-sentient. I think Smaug in the Hobbit movies would qualify as a monster, even though he has plenty of intelligence and personality. Although personally, I wouldn't mind the first enemies of the Toa having more of a dark, alien intelligence that lets them go toe-to-toe with the Toa on a tactical level while still remaining nameless and faceless from the perspective of the Toa and villagers.

I don't particularly think it matters what Hero Factory has done for the last few years. If the new BIONICLE is going to create a compelling narrative, it should focus on doing what's best for its own sets and story and not get hung up on trends in the LEGO portfolio as a whole. And I think it makes more sense from a narrative standpoint for the Toa to face more beastly enemies in their establishing character arc and then for the story to introduce more sapient enemies with diverse personalities later on in order to raise the stakes for the established heroes.

Monsters don't necessarily have to be non-sentient. I think Smaug in the Hobbit movies would qualify as a monster, even though he has plenty of intelligence and personality. Although personally, I wouldn't mind the first enemies of the Toa having more of a dark, alien intelligence that lets them go toe-to-toe with the Toa on a tactical level while still remaining nameless and faceless from the perspective of the Toa and villagers.

I don't particularly think it matters what Hero Factory has done for the last few years. If the new BIONICLE is going to create a compelling narrative, it should focus on doing what's best for its own sets and story and not get hung up on trends in the LEGO portfolio as a whole. And I think it makes more sense from a narrative standpoint for the Toa to face more beastly enemies in their establishing character arc and then for the story to introduce more sapient enemies with diverse personalities later on in order to raise the stakes for the established heroes.

Yeah, that's why I said sapient monsters/beasts would be neat. I could go for monster enemies so long as they have intelligence. Though, I suppose you're right. Establishing character for the Toa takes priority, so beasts would probably be the best choice (even though we really don't know how much characterization the Toa will get this early on if the animations are all we're getting right now).

The reason I brought up Hero Factory is simply because it's the Constraction theme we had before Bionicle was brought back. I do agree Bionicle should do its own thing. But coming out of HF where we just had two straight years of non-intelligent, beast/monster enemies, I'm ready for some intelligent villains.

I'm in Phoenix, AZ.....and I just bought ALL THE PROTECTORS and three Toa (Kopaka, Tahu, and Lewa).

Thank you, receipt codes! :thumbup:

Uuuuugggggh............A few of the sets are in some of the Target's in my state, but they're hours away, and I don't have a car. ;-;

You know if this era of Bionicle came out as a movie (and the cast from the last four movies were unavailable) I've got a rough idea who should play the Toa.

Tahu – Robby Benson

Lewa – Rob Schneider

Kopaka – Willem Dafoe

Gali – Idina Menzel

Pohatu – Wayne Forester

Onua – Brian Blessed

What do you guys think?

I know it's a bit of a wired cast list but I just based it on films and shows I've seen them in.

Yeah, this is what I've been thinking of ever since the animation showed Ekimu wearing that Protector mask. An alternate colour MoCr wouldn't make much sense anyway (as cool as a, say, tr. light blue one would be).

I'm personally hoping most of these are humanoid, I've had enough mith monster villains honestly. Sure, most BA and IfB villains were bipedal, but they were very animalistic looking. I'm hoping these are along the lines of evil Toa/Protectors. The "Scorpion statue guy" (which IMO is either Skull Warrior or Skull Scorpio) seems to be in line with what I'm thinking of.

Now let's try to analyze the names a bit deeper (read: dump my thoughts below):

Taking into account that most set lists follow a order based on price (cheapest-most expensive), I think these might be supposed to be thought as army builder sets, each figure representing a different class of the "Skull Army". This might be why, I think, there are only 5 sets and with such generic names (of course, I'm not counting out translation and preliminary stage issues, like with the "Defenders" or "Skull Krata"). Some speculation on how these might look like (I'm keeping the prices on the lower side for now):

70791 Skull Warrior: 10/15 Euro set, a simple foot soldier set.

70792 Skull Slicer: 15/20 Euro set, a bigger swordsman warrior, perhaps with a gear function.

70793 Skull Basher: 20 Euro set, a big wide guy like Onua equipped with a large blunt object (hammer, mace, axe, fist, etc), working in tandem with a gear function. Basically Bruizer, but actually good (ooooh).

70794 Skull Scorpio: assuming he's "statue guy", a 20 Euro set but with more focus on height rather than width compared to S. Basher (like Onua compared to Tahu and Kopaka). Alternatively, a 20+ Euro Rahi-like set, probably with Nui Jaga influences. Might have with a "stinger function" or something to that effect. Hopefully not another Technic mess like LoSS.

70795 Mask maker vs. Skull Grinder: Since I've already discussed the "Skull Grinder = Makuta" theory, I'll try another explanation. It's a bit of a forced theory but it's just some harmless speculation fun so read if you wish anyway: I'm not sure what language were these names translated form, but that might matter because, as you might already know, some languages do not distinguish between plural and singular forms. So what I'm saying is that the set's real name might actually be "Mask MakerS vs Skull Grinder". So, a big battle set like Queen Beast: Ekimu and Makuta fighting the so-called Skull Grinder, which can be, I guess anything. But I'm putting my money in a elite warrior type, or the very leader of the army, and I'll explain why.

As many speculated this could be a flashback scene, during a time when the two brothers fought together against the Skull Army and its leader. It could be that Makuta didn't create the Skull Army but simply allied with them once he became evil (before he fell asleep, unless he has recently awakened). This a pretty common villain trope actually, so I wouldn't be surprised if this were the case here as well. Aizen in Bleach didn't create the Hollows, he simply allied with -more like used- them after having defeated Barragan (the Hollow King); Garmadon in Ninjago did likewise with the Skulkin and Samukai (in fact, I was strongly reminded of Bleach by that, there are so many parallels it's hilarious). So, following the Bleach and Ninjago examples, Skull Grinder could be the equivalent of Barragan and Samukai.

I assumed the Skull Spiders plot would've been wrapped up by Summer, but it looks like they're but a part of a bigger army. It's not what I expected but it makes sense and I like the Skull Spiders a lot (very cool and creepy, and with amazing colour choices), so I'm very happy to see the concept being expanded. After years of insects, arachnids, reptiles, sea monsters and bats, it's exciting to see a skeleton theme in BIONICLE. It does mirror Ninjago's first year, which isn't that surprising: Ninjago is hugely, ridiculously popular, so it makes sense for Lego to reuse some of its elements.

If done well, they can bring to constraction a never seen before "bony" aesthetic to contrast with the biomechanical Toa, resulting in great parts (ribcage-like chest armour, skull-like masks, bone weapons, etc..) and awesome designs. I'm also hoping to see more daring colour choices: it's the perfect chance to reuse dark blue and spring yellowish green from the Spiders while adding classic villainous colours like purple and dark red.

All they really have to do in the end, though, is to avoid heavily Technic-based builds (that would be a real..loss) and put in the sets the same effort they put in the Toa and the Protectors.

While I'd love to see (or rather, hear) Brian Blessed in BIONICLE, I think the new Onua is a bad fit for him. According to his bio, he's something of a sleepy, gentle giant. Perhaps the new Tahu would be a better fit?

While I continue to insist Estelle would make an ideal Onua, I gotta admit Richard Newman, the voice of Rhinox of Transformers: Beast Wars would also be great. A wise, spiritual character who is also big, strong, and powerful? Richard Newman can do that.

Edited by CabooseBM

While I continue to insist Estelle would make an ideal Onua, I gotta admit Richard Newman, the voice of Rhinox of Transformers: Beast Wars would also be great. A wise, spiritual character who is also big, strong, and powerful? Richard Newman can do that.

That's so sane that it just might work.

So earlier I was finally able to head up to Target and grab one of every set I saw, and I can officially say that they are amazing sets and worth every penny. I also figured out that the best way to turn the head without ripping the mask off (as I would otherwise be prone to doing) is by gripping the two sides of the mask while pulling upwards on the black of the brainstalk. I also have an issue with the fact that Tahu can't look down, but oh well. I've already started implementing my mods on them.

On the rumored set names, they all sound like they will end up being generic troop builders to me and I am hoping that be get a variety of beasts instead of humanoids (which the statues in the Pohatu video seem to be disproving).

Interesting analysis, Shakar. :sweet:

According to this, we'll have a BIONICLE polybag in March. I guess it will include a recolored Skull Spider, and perhaps a recolored Protector mask, or a gattling gun, a la Brain Attack polybag.

According to this, we'll have a BIONICLE polybag in March. I guess it will include a recolored Skull Spider, and perhaps a recolored Protector mask, or a gattling gun, a la Brain Attack polybag.

Good to hear that we're getting a BIONICLE polybag, and I hope that the second wave will be good as the first wave... :classic:

Edited by Chimaninja454

So you have to buy the Shield Hallicarrier to get the promo? Any idea where?

Well it's a good thing I'm slowly starting to get into normal Legos. I hope it's not too expensive.