Yes, they should reduce teeth size, I had bunch of older 24 tooth and that cause me a real headachse because they are rubbing on frames even where slots are (and introduce 28 tooth with straight teeth and not bevel)

Edited by 1gor

8 minutes ago, 1gor said:

Yes, they should reduce teeth size, I had bjnch of older 24 tooth and that cause me a real headachse because they are rubbing on frames even where slots are (and introduce 28 tooth with straight teeth and not bevel)

I think they introduced the straight version of the turntable just for 42146, since longer teeth reduce the possibility of slipping and than everything followed, 20 tooth and 12 tooth gears.

For 28 straight version I would love to see a slightly different design, maybe remove the axle holes and make it thinner to reduce friction. Also a clutch version would be awesome.

Regarding the issue though, I'm thinking of maybe actually reporting it to LEGO, I really think they messed up the design on these gears and sooner or later there will be issues, especially in gearboxes where different sized normal and especially clutch gears are close to one another.

Edited by Zerobricks

Lucky for me that I have not enough time for Lego, so I can't play with gearboxes, so one headachse less for me. What I have noticed (in the meantime) that combination of 28 tooth double bevel gear and 20 straight tooth rotate very smooth as  they were all straigh tooth

3 hours ago, 1gor said:

Lucky for me that I have not enough time for Lego, so I can't play with gearboxes, so one headachse less for me. What I have noticed (in the meantime) that combination of 28 tooth double bevel gear and 20 straight tooth rotate very smooth as  they were all straigh tooth

The bigger the gears, the smoother they generally interact since there are more teeth in contact, allowing for smoother power transfer. Also biggar gears are more efficient because there is less force on the axles.

Edited by Zerobricks

if you put cross  blocks that are spaced apart by say, half beams, it might help.

This is because if you just use pinhole beams as spacers, then the cross blocks have slight protrusions which go inside of the recessed part of the pinholes , and so the spacing is actually slightly shorter than if you spaced them with half beams

At least now you can, even with 7L half beam(s), space two cross blocks apart and the new 20T and 12T straight gears fit just fine, whereas you had to use say, half-bushes as spacers with the 12 and 20 tooth double bevel gears.

9 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

The bigger the gears, the smoother they generally interact since there are more teeth in contact, allowing for smoother power transfer. Also biggar gears are more efficient because there is less force on the axles.

Indeed; specially when using PF XL motor(s)

On 11/12/2023 at 4:39 AM, SNIPE said:

if you put cross  blocks that are spaced apart by say, half beams, it might help.

This is because if you just use pinhole beams as spacers, then the cross blocks have slight protrusions which go inside of the recessed part of the pinholes , and so the spacing is actually slightly shorter than if you spaced them with half beams

At least now you can, even with 7L half beam(s), space two cross blocks apart and the new 20T and 12T straight gears fit just fine, whereas you had to use say, half-bushes as spacers with the 12 and 20 tooth double bevel gears.

Can you send a photo of what you mean?

Also I'm thinking of reporting this issue to the LEGO group.

On 11/11/2023 at 11:19 AM, Zerobricks said:

Anyone else encountered a compatibility issue with the new 12 and 20 tooth straight gears?

I just measured the 20T gears I have on hand with a micrometer--the green gear is 21.78mm while the blue one is 21.43mm (tan ones I have measured 21.35). Most of my gears are used so can't confirm with anything brand new. However, the 0.35-0.43 mm delta is about the thickness of an index card. This is beyond the 1 μm tolerance so I would think it's by design.

When I compared the 12T black and blue gears, the difference is about 0.60 mm.

If you think about it, those differences are probably necessary to accommodate the perpendicular meshing of gears without interference

JC0mhCX.md.jpg

Edited by shroomzofdoom
because I am from the USA, your metric system confuses and frightens me :-)

5 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

Can you send a photo of what you mean?

Also I'm thinking of reporting this issue to the LEGO group.

Sure:
lego.png
The left one wont work very well in real life, but the right one works fine, because the right one has a hair more spacing.

Maybe you can use this trick to get slightly more spacing so that the green 20 tooth gear doesn't touch the 8 tooth gear.

Edited by SNIPE

51 minutes ago, shroomzofdoom said:

I just measured the 20T gears I have on hand with a micrometer--the green gear is 21.78mm while the blue one is 21.43mm (tan ones I have measured 21.35). Most of my gears are used so can't confirm with anything brand new. However, the 0.35-0.43 mm delta is about the thickness of an index card. This is beyond the 1 nanometer tolerance so I would think it's by design.

I just tested a few as well with a digital caliper, i got similar values (almost brand new/barely used gears):

Straight 20t:
Blue with cross axle (69779): 21.79mm
Green clutch (81346): 21.79mm

Bevel 20t:
Blue clutch (35185): 21.46mm
Tan with cross axle (18575): 21.35mm

5 hours ago, barberminged said:

I just tested a few as well with a digital caliper, i got similar values (almost brand new/barely used gears):

Straight 20t:
Blue with cross axle (69779): 21.79mm
Green clutch (81346): 21.79mm

Bevel 20t:
Blue clutch (35185): 21.46mm
Tan with cross axle (18575): 21.35mm

I reported the issue to LEGO and attached photos where you can see the new straight gears literally toucing the gears which they shouldn't.

Also my measurements are as following, remember that you have to measure the largest dimension by spinning the gear so it's perfectly aligned tip of the tooth to the tip of the tooth.

12 bevel: 13,40

12 straight: 13,99

16 normal: 17,42

16 clutch: 17,81

20 bevel normal: 21,40

20 bevel clutch: 21,48

20 straight normal: 21,88

20 straight clutch: 21,83

10 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

I reported the issue to LEGO and attached photos where you can see the new straight gears literally toucing the gears which they shouldn't.

Also my measurements are as following, remember that you have to measure the largest dimension by spinning the gear so it's perfectly aligned tip of the tooth to the tip of the tooth.

Awesome, it will be interesting to see their answer!

And yes, i meassured from tip to tip, i do suspect my caliper needs calibration tho, so i will re-test tomorrow, along with some 12 and 16 tooth, just for completeness (new-ish and barely used) :)

November update on Technic PaB line-up including Liebherr, Lamborghini and Yamaha parts.
MF0oneG.png

Yes! This is the day I've been waiting for!

[EDIT] Ouch they're expensive!

Edited by 2GodBDGlory

There are these panels in transparent brown, in which set they come. Rebrickable doesn't know

Element 6426593

Just now, Jurss said:

There are these panels in transparent brown, in which set they come. Rebrickable doesn't know

On 11/13/2023 at 5:50 PM, shroomzofdoom said:

Looks like 6589 will be available in LG in the 21345 Polaroid ideas set next year. First time since 2003 if I'm correct.

Is that LBG or white? Either would be the first time in quite a while but it's a little hard to tell whether or not it matches the white parts above it.

Also, obviously less versatile, but the upcoming City space station seems to use the quarter circle gears from the Bucket Wheel Excavator in Medium Azure Sand Blue.

EDIT: Just been corrected on the color, looks like Sand Blue (which feels like a more appropriate color for a mechanical-looking part like this).

Edited by Lyichir

32 minutes ago, Aurorasaurus said:

at least the parts are up there now. still, i cant help but feel they should be cheaper

Yeah, I'm kind of annoyed by that! $5 CAD for one driving ring? I'm looking at about $60 just to buy 14 gearbox pieces, which compares rather (really) poorly to what I could get in a set of that price. Lego is supposed to inspire creativity, but I guess in my case they're just inspiring me to creative ways to avoid paying prices like that! I had figured buying those Yamaha parts would be a no-brainer, but I'm definitely having to think harder about it now.

Anyways, I don't want to complain too much, since I'm at least thankful that Lego offers parts individually like that--they don't have any obligation to provide that service!

7 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Yeah, I'm kind of annoyed by that! $5 CAD for one driving ring? I'm looking at about $60 just to buy 14 gearbox pieces, which compares rather (really) poorly to what I could get in a set of that price. 

I always have the same feeling when a new set comes out and I want just 1 part from it and it very expensive. Unfortunate, but I still need that part and I will buy it eventually :)

It is kinda sad that pick a brick is not available in Romania, it would have made life so much easier...

i pulled the trigger and bought some gearbox parts. very pricey indeed. however, hopefully they'll earn their keep. im surprised nobody was selling them on bricklink though, as they could have easily fetched around 8 usd, i feel.