Migalart

MOC - Mustafar

Although Mustafar is not the nicest place to be in and there was not much going on there in the movies, that does not prevent the epicness of this creation! The lava and rock work is splendid and also the brown structure looks just as it should. Going microscale is a really nice idea so that you were able to capture a bigger area in the creation. The white ship is a nice touch and it's a shame there was not a major battle going on there, that would really revitalize an already fabulous MOC by a little. I wonder, were there both dark grey colors used for rock work (old and new) or is that just the lighting in some places?

Edited by MstrOfPppts

Thats massive beyond belief! Must have also been expensive... Did you use any software to make the protoypes? Or did you build and ordered bricks as it went? Can you describe the building process please?

Zblj - you motivated me to prepare some "behind the scenes" info:

In short - zero magic, lot of fun. Nothing new for experienced builders

1) Idea

„Lava mastering”

2) Source files

Internet browning. Mustafar documentation was very weak. Just two 640-480 images.

1. Scale

It was difficult. One was sure- it can not be minifig. I decided that radiators will be the reference objects and all will be scaled to them. I have prepared few prototypes of radiators with different size. I used LDD but it has one weakness –gravitation not included.

bh01.jpg

1. Levitated radiators

The construction in the movie doesn’t include gravity to much, but I rally tried to bo close to the original project. I had to build 60 cm long arms with some heavy bricks at the top and it should not break without any external help.

The whole project was at stake on the condition that I will manage to do this. I made several prototypes. The arms are mounted base on lever rule. Their are double long base on the visible fragment. I choose detailed way to curie them that required buying 260 of his brick:

85970.jpg

It is not available in brown, so I had to look for proper paint.

1. Lego order

This is hard but I already made few big projects. Some parts was detailed counted. Others where ordered base only on mass – X kg of gray bricks,X kg of brown bricsk

30000 dots of yellow plates, any shape, as cheap as possible. 30000 dots of red plates, ETC.

I often buy modified brick which are cheaper, but building with them is more complex and difficult. I spend many hours on bricklink and prepare oreder in few shops to compare. The order have hundreds of positions if not thousand .

1. Scenography planning

I try to include two different work dimensions:

- building for photography

- building for expositions

In paradox – this two dimensions work often against each other.

It is easy to create nice object for photography with just few bricks. Big constructions are more difficult to be photographed.

From the very beginning of each project I have in mind the position of camera …

1. Modulars

This must be mobile construction which is the hardest point of all.

In the past I was dividing dioramas on eqal baseplate parts.

Now I try to divide the diorama on 5 types of modules:

- flat

bh02.jpg

- high

bh03.jpg

- complex

bh04.jpg

bh05.jpg

- speciall

bh06.jpg

- construction

I try to have most flat and high modules.

Dividing diorama in 3D is always very difficult for me and I spend many hours not building but just trying to find optimal way to do this.

8) Building

I build always directly from head. No big designs. The key is brick availability logistic and segregation. I organize my workspace to be able to build with 2 colors in the same time, and I have to get every shape of bricks in this two colors in few seconds. I build often with most cheap possible bricks. I use street base plates, etc.

All to minimalize the enormous costs.

bh05.jpg

9) Photo

I am not the expert in this but good photo is as important as the structure itself. I try to use good lighting and background.

10) At the end the photoshop and the worki is done.

Insane! Thank you so much for such informative WIP presentation. Do you happen to have higher res pics of the build phases? And if you don't mind me asking: in which country were situated the BL shops that have such huge brick quantities (you mentioned you only ordered from a few, right?) and what is the approx. cost of the project?

Spectacular creation, your pictures of it look like the actual scene, I at first thought they were source pictures. This is superb!

Amazing work Migalart, I was going to blog this but BEAVeR beat me to it! A truly epic build, it raises the bar once again for SW MOCs, and thanks for including some of the WIP photos :wub: :wub: :wub:

Whoa!!! I thought it was an LDD image at first, then kept scrolling to find out that it's actually real!

I have nothing more to add to this thread, but Wow.... just wow! This MOC is brilliant.

this is eyes blazing. saw that two days ago on flikr, and I gasped to loud that my wife ran to me in panic :)

Whoa, that lava effect is awesome. And it's huge. And brilliant. I will have to check the pics again and again several times. Making such a nice model about such an "ugly" place... I cannot find the correct word to describe it. Now you are THE Lava Master (aren't you?)

Every once and again, there are those MOCs that define how you view a theme. This is one of those. I've never seen a Star Wars diorama like this. Sure, we have seen some huge things, but this is different. Just the dedication that every brick speaks of. The thought that someone put all of those bricks together. The realization that someone had to decide how to make that rockface look amazing, and that lava even more stunning. With all of the variety in shapes and colors, it still feels like one cohesive model, detailed and chaotic just like nature. And the layout maximizes the effect, with the sprawling lava plane, the steep face of rock, and the two merging together by means of islands in the lava and a lavafall in the rocks. It all feels so right. The artificial elements are great as well. The way those segmented parts come across is phenomenal. You captured the utilitarian and sophisticated look like no one else could have done it.

Could not have said it better myself.

Wow! Seriously impressed. Thank you for posting the behind the scenes info as well.

Edited by BrickPop